Options

Is this [chat] conference over yet? Yes, yes it is

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    some character called the major?

clearly a man's role so i'll step up. hello, i am the major.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    watching hou hsiao-hsien cast shu qi making basically the same face over and over again has convinced me that - at least for a certain kind of starlet - a sufficiently skilled cinematographer can decide the entire role

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    Don't make me start complaining about idris as heimdall, lawd

No one is allowed to complain about Idris.

Man is a god among us.

ScarJo is p rad

She is.

She is playing a character named Kusanagi.

I love ScarJo. I just feel this was a casting more tied to Hollywood being risk adverse than looking at the character. Also the picture released earlier today was meh to me. And not just me my friends.

I understand reimagining. And I know we know minimal about this movie. This is a nerd angry moment. But also due to GiTS having some really interesting ideas and stories that work on things I am pretty sure will be ignored. And ScarJo could probably be really good exploring those but that is just a small part of it.

Also the Expanse casting of a character with an unknown in the US and taking the risk to stay true to the character made me view the casting of ScarJo even more cynically.

The most important part about GiTS are the ideas so I'm ignoring everything until I start seeing real trailers.

Casting is a big part of getting a big budget movie made, so if it's the difference between perfect casting and someone actually getting a shot at making the movie, I'd rather them get a shot at making the movie.

At the end of the day I can still go back and watch the series if the movie isn't great.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Vast redesigns necessary before I fly that deathtrap with a person on it

VAST

More struts, more boosters.

Struts didn't save the Falcon 9 last June, vowels!

*sobs*

No, mostly revisiting the design of that second stage - probably make it the same diameter as the first stage -, make it just slightly lighter to give it a better initial thrust-to-weight ratio.

Oh, and jettisoning the Launch Escape System either earlier in flight, or only after reaching orbit and successfully deploying the spacecraft from the third and final stage. Because jettisoning it in front of you before you then thrust back towards it just means you end up smashing back into it very slowly >_>

Set up your staging so when you jettison the LES it also triggers the LED to fire?

That should pull it up and to the side, right?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Hair's not purple enough. Thong's not revealing enough.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

give me a pair of lowrise pants stat

i can do this

i CAN DO THIS

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    If you look really carefully at the photo you can see the slabs we cut parts off to "taste" it.

Like one of the few benefits of being a cook is constantly eating good food.

I was basically perpetually fed and only paid for every other beer

Not the worst deal

• Options
    Didn't they make an Aeon Flux movie and her sneaking suit was not revealing at all? No wonder that movie was forgettable.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Don't make me start complaining about idris as heimdall, lawd

No one is allowed to complain about Idris.

Man is a god among us.

ScarJo is p rad

She is.

She is playing a character named Kusanagi.

I love ScarJo. I just feel this was a casting more tied to Hollywood being risk adverse than looking at the character. Also the picture released earlier today was meh to me. And not just me my friends.

I understand reimagining. And I know we know minimal about this movie. This is a nerd angry moment. But also due to GiTS having some really interesting ideas and stories that work on things I am pretty sure will be ignored. And ScarJo could probably be really good exploring those but that is just a small part of it.

Also the Expanse casting of a character with an unknown in the US and taking the risk to stay true to the character made me view the casting of ScarJo even more cynically.

The most important part about GiTS are the ideas so I'm ignoring everything until I start seeing real trailers.

Casting is a big part of getting a big budget movie made, so if it's the difference between perfect casting and someone actually getting a shot at making the movie, I'd rather them get a shot at making the movie.

At the end of the day I can still go back and watch the series if the movie isn't great.

I know I am being a cranky nerd.

Which is what @Organichu is trying to point out in a really roundabout way.

I have minimal hope for the ideas being explored.

I don't think Hollywood will see this movie that way. In a way I think casting can be telling. I know ScarJo can do the heavy stuff. She is a good actress. But she isn't cast for those parts right now. She is cast to play physical superwoman style roles.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    this is a heresy but I actually like those small farmed oysters

We can get huge ones, but as far as serving them raw we go to these folks.

Taylor Shellfish Farms.

Although I should stop talking about them, they're getting popular enough its hard to get stuff wholesale anymore.

The small size is perfect for doing on the half.

Gat dam millennials gentrifying my shellfish

Or something

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Didn't they make an Aeon Flux movie and her sneaking suit was not revealing at all? No wonder that movie was forgettable.

the trick is to make the starlet as naked as possible without puncturing the illusion that it's a high concept movie

not all movies walk that line carefully enough

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Captain Marvel should be played by Her Minajesty

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

give me a pair of lowrise pants stat

i can do this

i CAN DO THIS

PANTS???

#notmymajor

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Aeon Flux is just terrible.

edit: The movie that is.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    jesus christ

the Ness' nightmare fight

I can't even

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    She hulk should be played by Arianna Grande

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

the trick is to make the starlet as naked as possible without puncturing the illusion that it's a high concept movie

not all movies walk that line carefully enough

If they were going to do Aeon Flux right they would've have to make her just look absolutely grotesque, though.

• Options

I didn't watch the movie but I watched a lot of the cartoon back in the day. It aired on MTV of all things.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U14iujXp3hA

• Options
    Also, are you guys upset that the Major isn't asian?

Because the Major is almost entirely robot, she can be whatever race she wants.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular

Let's embark upon an adventure.

No crying until the end!

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    this is a heresy but I actually like those small farmed oysters

We can get huge ones, but as far as serving them raw we go to these folks.

Taylor Shellfish Farms.

Although I should stop talking about them, they're getting popular enough its hard to get stuff wholesale anymore.

The small size is perfect for doing on the half.

Don't try and keep it so only you can get food from them.

Thst would be shellfish

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I'll go ahead and say not just the movie

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »

I did a longer post why it is bugging me. Because the casting says a lot about Hollywood and the movie.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    hmmm I could do one of these programming boot camps

I know people who have gotten programming jobs right after them

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

The series I sort of remember as only being OK. But I haven't watched it recently.

And the original Liquid Television stuff, not really all that well animated by today's standards. Though I really sort of love effective but minimal story telling.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Vast redesigns necessary before I fly that deathtrap with a person on it

VAST

More struts, more boosters.

Struts didn't save the Falcon 9 last June, vowels!

*sobs*

No, mostly revisiting the design of that second stage - probably make it the same diameter as the first stage -, make it just slightly lighter to give it a better initial thrust-to-weight ratio.

Oh, and jettisoning the Launch Escape System either earlier in flight, or only after reaching orbit and successfully deploying the spacecraft from the third and final stage. Because jettisoning it in front of you before you then thrust back towards it just means you end up smashing back into it very slowly >_>

Set up your staging so when you jettison the LES it also triggers the LED to fire?

That should pull it up and to the side, right?

!

Dang, that's a pretty good solution.

I went with something else entirely only because I've hated how unnecessarily massive the default LES is

Now the capsule has the 1960s equivalent of SuperDraco thrusters instead - 4 side-mounted solid rockets that can be jettisoned clear to the sides once we've reach orbit. :D

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

I don't remember it well enough to say, but I certainly wasn't a fan while it aired.

Of course, I wouldn't trust any of my little kid opinions so who knows what I would think of it today.

That opening is pretty painful.

• Options

I did a longer post why it is bugging me. Because the casting says a lot about Hollywood and the movie.

The real thing we're going to lose in translation is the blatant anti-Americanism.

Americans are the worst in GitS :P.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm getting 20ish people everytime I stream, so that's cool. Gotta slowly build that audience.

Hex needs to be on steam already though, having a hard time getting into drafts!

• Options

I sort of love Aeon Flux.

But me and avant-garde animation are a thing.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

While I do not entirely disagree - fictional worldview being a nebulous concept and all - I think this line of argument is uncomfortable at best when it amounts to justifying casting a white woman in a role that could easily have been taken by, as you say, any other race.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

The real thing we're going to lose in translation is the blatant anti-Americanism.

Can you really blame GitS?

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Aeon Flux was great. It was weird and me made me feel ways about stuff.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options

So you are saying she ought be portrayed by a robot?

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Shit Battleborn is gonna be 60? That's not happening. Overwatch might happen but I still need to try that out.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I'll go ahead and say not just in GitS

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

While I do not entirely disagree - fictional worldview being a nebulous concept and all - I think this line of argument is uncomfortable at best when it amounts to justifying casting a white woman in a role that could easily have been taken by, as you say, any other race.

I mean, true.

And like, it raises other questions like "is it still going to be set in Japan?"

Because, that's, like, a sort of massive part of GitS.

• Options

I sort of love Aeon Flux.

But me and avant-garde animation are a thing.

The show was memorable because it was weird.

And the main character constantly showed off her butt.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Aw sJo is playing the Major?

Yeah arent we called the American Empire?

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    eat your hamburgers, apollo

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.