Options

Is this [chat] conference over yet? Yes, yes it is

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Also, are you guys upset that the Major isn't asian?

Because the Major is almost entirely robot, she can be whatever race she wants.

So you are saying she ought be portrayed by a robot?

They should've found and/or made a woman who just literally looks like an animu

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

While I do not entirely disagree - fictional worldview being a nebulous concept and all - I think this line of argument is uncomfortable at best when it amounts to justifying casting a white woman in a role that could easily have been taken by, as you say, any other race.

I mean, true.

And like, it raises other questions like "is it still going to be set in Japan?"

Because, that's, like, a sort of massive part of GitS.

I would be shocked if it took place in Japan.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    This reminds me of ye rumors about an Akira movie with two white dudes as the leads set in New York.

P sure that's not Akira.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

While I do not entirely disagree - fictional worldview being a nebulous concept and all - I think this line of argument is uncomfortable at best when it amounts to justifying casting a white woman in a role that could easily have been taken by, as you say, any other race.

I mean, true.

And like, it raises other questions like "is it still going to be set in Japan?"

I am very curious how they will show the Mega-city.

I know you can do it right. Hell we did it in the 80's with Blade Runner.

But I am worried we will get Vancouver being NYC or LA or something like that because again it is safe for Hollywood studios to think that way.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Shit Battleborn is gonna be 60? That's not happening. Overwatch might happen but I still need to try that out.

Big beta thing for Overwatch at the start of May.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I mean, true.

But I am worried we will get Vancouver being NYC or LA or something like that because again it is safe for Hollywood studios to think that way.

I laughed in Tron Legacy when it was supposedly set in LA and there were pine trees.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options

So you are saying she ought be portrayed by a robot?

They should've found and/or made a woman who just literally looks like an animu

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2570013/Human-Barbie-Valeria-Lukyanova-reveals-STARVES-Breatharian-believes-live-air-containing-cosmic-micro-food.html

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I mean, true.

If it is set in the US I'm just not going to watch it

And I fucking love scarjo

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Do we need to justify casting a white woman now?

• Options
    ScarJo fills seats. Are we in agreement there?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872732/business?ref_=tt_dt_bus

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

I mean, true.

I dunno, it being completely adapted to an american story would make the casting better imo

casting scarjo and putting it in japan would just make me turn it into a really weird Lost In Translation sequel in my head

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Shit Battleborn is gonna be 60? That's not happening. Overwatch might happen but I still need to try that out.

you are surprised a AAA game with a full campaign and multiplayer is $60?

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    I was hungry, so I started eating a whole raw bell pepper. About halfway through, I thought, "Hmm, this is a sufficient amount of bell pepper." About 3/4 through, I thought, "Except under duress, this is the maximum amount of bell pepper I am willing to consume at this time."

Just thought you should know, chat.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    for motoko kusanagi? yes

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Zampanov wrote: »

I mean, true.

I dunno, it being completely adapted to an american story would make the casting better imo

casting scarjo and putting it in japan would just make me turn it into a really weird Lost In Translation sequel in my head

If it was set in America the setting would lose so much, though.

Like, that was such a big part of it "here is Future Japan".

Future America would be a totally different place.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    @cinders do you ever wish that there was an alternate universe in addition to ours where after Deep Cuts the Knife ignored gender identity, income inequality, and increasingly atonal techno and focused solely on melancholy pop songs about being broken hearted

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

Well yeah

You need to justify casting generally

Especially for any sort of adapted material

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    for motoko kusanagi? yes

I dunno sounds English to me

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    ScarJo fills seats. Are we in agreement there?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2872732/business?ref_=tt_dt_bus

which I'm sure is most of the casting decision

"we want to spend a lot of money on this flick, gonna be female lead"

"ok we will give you this money but you need to hire

1. the most high profile

2.hottest

3.actress that might could do the job

in that order

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options

I mean, true.

iirc we are not the good guys

Like at all.

It's like someone cranked up the Imperialism to 11

• Options

I mean, true.

It being completely adapted to bring American would rip the living heart out of the entire goddamn work.

Like trying to set the West Wing inside a German u-boat

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Like I'm pretty sure even a fictional Japanese company making Japanese robot bodies would make them look Japanese.

Man dont get me wrong GitS is also going to have Takeshi Kitano and thats just pandering but ill still fully on board.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

I mean, true.

Honestly, GITS can work pretty much everywhere. I think ScarJo is kinda mid tier in terms of casting (though am willing to be convinced otherwise), but a lot of GITS relies on other stuff, IMHO. We need the script writers and director to do a good job to a huge extent.

• Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    @cinders do you ever wish that there was an alternate universe in addition to ours where after Deep Cuts the Knife ignored gender identity, income inequality, and increasingly atonal techno and focused solely on melancholy pop songs about being broken hearted

Yeah, sometimes. But at the same time, without that stuff, I feel like it wouldn't be the knife.

Like even Deep Cuts covered that stuff.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    for motoko kusanagi? yes
    Why?

It can't be for reasons of fidelity to the source material as that would directly contradict the characterisation of the character in question.

• Options
    Like, it's not one of those things set nebulously in a culture in a way that can be interchanged. The story/ideas of GitS are in large part geopolitical in nature.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Yeah, sometimes. But at the same time, without that stuff, I feel like it wouldn't be the knife.

I ask because... I found a band that did so

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    I'd watch Das Weiss Boot

• Options

I mean, true.

Like at all.

Yeah, right up from the Bush era 10

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Like I'm pretty sure even a fictional Japanese company making Japanese robot bodies would make them look Japanese.

Man dont get me wrong GitS is also going to have Takeshi Kitano and thats just pandering but ill still fully on board.

I really like Takeshi Kitano. If you haven't watched Kikujiro you should.

Bring tissues.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »

I ask because... I found a band that did so

Link

• Options

Am I wrong to think any company would make a product that appeals to its chief consumers? Dark Souls is full of white dudes. If the Japanese still bought video games, Dark Souls would have some Asian dudes.

• Options

I mean, true.

Like at all.

Yeah, right up from the Bush era 10

From what I faintly recall from Stand Alone, we twisted the knob off. I remember the CIA or its equivalent being scary as hell.

• Options
    Like can you imagine the part where The President gets checked for crabs while discussing the social/economic issues of our time?

• Options

I mean, true.

It being completely adapted to bring American would rip the living heart out of the entire goddamn work.

Like trying to set the West Wing inside a German u-boat

That's an exceptionally silly comparison.

GiTS lives more in the future of human development than specifically Japan. At least the biggest ideas of it do.

Any problem they tackle in the show could happen in any first world country.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Am I wrong to think any company would make a product that appeals to its chief consumers? Dark Souls is full of white dudes. If the Japanese still bought video games, Dark Souls would have some Asian dudes.

As a white guy, only non-white women appeal to me.

• Options
    I want a moratorium on media set in LA

Like for 10 years

Maybe after that I can watch a thing set in LA without cringing out of my skin

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

I mean, true.

Honestly, GITS can work pretty much everywhere. I think ScarJo is kinda mid tier in terms of casting (though am willing to be convinced otherwise), but a lot of GITS relies on other stuff, IMHO. We need the script writers and director to do a good job to a huge extent.

She's super high profile, hot, already trained for stuntwork, good actress.

Name someone at that profile with that skillset.

Honestly, I would rather casting reflect closer to the original, and I would prefer Japan. But I also want to see the movie get made so I'll allow for this kinda hollywood shit until I see a trailer that proves they have no idea what they're doing with the actual story.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I want a moratorium on media set in LA

Like for 10 years

Maybe after that I can watch a thing set in LA without cringing out of my skin

But, BoJack.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
This discussion has been closed.