As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do you enjoy a good ol' Podcast with the boys?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I sure do!
    Uncharted's writing is competent

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Not my cuppa joe!
    Uncharted's writing is competent

The character interactions are legitimately great!

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    -Tal wrote: »
    crash of the titans, 2007 nominee for best video game writing by the writer's guild of america

...I liked that game...

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I sure do!
    It's light and it's quippy and it's entertaining and it's disposable

and there's nothing wrong with that, it gets the job done

But I would sure hope that a guild for writers would be interested in championing things that are more daring and ambitious and challenging, and I'll grant that there's not a ton of that in games, especially in the AAA space

But there's better than "competent action movie with a generically charming male lead"

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Not my cuppa joe!
    Stilts wrote: »
    And that's also when I realized that Rhianna Pratchett hasn't written a single thing I'd qualify as "good."

Maybe her comics are decent, I don't know.

But her games writing is all pretty mediocre or bad.

Err

As someone who disagrees and thinks the tomb raider games are pretty well written

Her comics work is worse

What's weird is I actually thought Tomb Raider was okay? Like, the narrative was whatever, but the characters were fun.

So I wasn't expecting to be wowed by Rise, but figured it'd at least entertain me.

And then Rise was like, "Hey, you remember all those characters you got to know in the previous game? Fuck all of them. Here's some generic ones instead."

The beginning of that game turned me off real hard and never fully got me back on board (except for the Baba Yaga DLC, which was so much better).

What pratchett did with Sam in those comics to write her out is terrible

That said

I actually suspect she was told she could not keep the characters from the first game.

I still haven't finished Rise of the Tomb Raider, but so far I'm pretty sure they haven't even mentioned any of the other characters from the first game and I didn't read any of the comics, so in my headcanon, Sam is hanging out back in England, waiting for her girlfriend to get back from raiding tombs and nothing anyone can say will take this away from me.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    uncharted 3 had some good stuff with drake's backstory

uncharted 1 had that part where drake found drake's body that was good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    And that's also when I realized that Rhianna Pratchett hasn't written a single thing I'd qualify as "good."

Err

As someone who disagrees and thinks the tomb raider games are pretty well written

Her comics work is worse

What's weird is I actually thought Tomb Raider was okay? Like, the narrative was whatever, but the characters were fun.

So I wasn't expecting to be wowed by Rise, but figured it'd at least entertain me.

And then Rise was like, "Hey, you remember all those characters you got to know in the previous game? Fuck all of them. Here's some generic ones instead."

The beginning of that game turned me off real hard and never fully got me back on board (except for the Baba Yaga DLC, which was so much better).

That said

I actually suspect she was told she could not keep the characters from the first game.

I still haven't finished Rise of the Tomb Raider, but so far I'm pretty sure they haven't even mentioned any of the other characters from the first game and I didn't read any of the comics, so in my headcanon, Sam is hanging out back in England, waiting for her girlfriend to get back from raiding tombs and nothing anyone can say will take this away from me.

Jonah shows up briefly in the first half hour, is punted to the side, and then shows back up at the very end to be completely inconsequential for a few minutes.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I sure do!

Err

Her comics work is worse

That said

actually sam got thrown in jail in a comic because she's crazy now, hooray

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Not my cuppa joe!

But I would sure hope that a guild for writers would be interested in championing things that are more daring and ambitious and challenging, and I'll grant that there's not a ton of that in games, especially in the AAA space

But there's better than "competent action movie with a generically charming male lead"

Oh yeah, that's true

Looking at the list of nominees puts it in a weird perspective, too

Are you telling me that X-Men Origins: Wolverine was the 5th best written game that year or whatever

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I sure do!

Err

Her comics work is worse

That said

Man that's crazy fanfic you wrote! Can't wait for the next Tomb Raider game which starts with Lara and Sam lounging around her mansion before Lara has to go on an adventure!

HAHAHAHA
    :(

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Not my cuppa joe!

Err

Her comics work is worse

That said

Nothing. Anyone. Can. Say.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I sure do!

Err

Her comics work is worse

That said

Wait

Really?

Godammit.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what if... white people were oppressed

we don't need to post the trailer for white man's burden again

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

Oh yeah, that's true

Looking at the list of nominees puts it in a weird perspective, too

Are you telling me that X-Men Origins: Wolverine was the 5th best written game that year or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrL3clTBBI
    Well that part at 8:00 where he stabs a helicopter almost made me cry

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine is a really fun game worth $10-$20.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I sure do!
    I fell off Magic Tavern for a little while, mostly due to traffic being better to the point where I could conceivably make a Bombcast last until the Beastcast went up

anyway, been continuing to listen through it

the Can The Wizard episode was pretty great

but man I love Klax the Skeleton

he's just so nice!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    Or is it Klacks?

• Options
    I sure do!
    Clax?

• Options
    Not my cuppa joe!
    Qleoqus

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The podcast for large explosives is up.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Kinda disappointed we don't have it set up yet where posting fanfiction.txt automatically closes threads

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Not my cuppa joe!
    Why?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    http://www.istommyevil.com/

OH MY GOD WHO DID THIS

!!!!!!!!! My joke has borne fruit !!!!!!!!

(this was not me)

• Options
    Not my cuppa joe!
    http://www.istommyevil.com/

OH MY GOD WHO DID THIS

!!!!!!!!! My joke has borne fruit !!!!!!!!

(this was not me)

It was a really good joke!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    Yeah speaking of

Sign me up to your future guest list!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ordered another year of Giant Bomb since it's on sale.
    Yay! Jeff/Vinny/Ryan recording! I forgot about that!

• Options
    I sure do!

Err

Her comics work is worse

That said

Wait

Really?

Godammit.

yeah! it's real dumb

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Its so weird and stupid that I cant help but think it was studio mandated

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    I'm kind of bummed out that giant bomb had a membership sale just a few days after I renewed mine at full price

I could really use that extra $15

• Options
    I sure do!
    Its so weird and stupid that I cant help but think it was studio mandated

it kinda feels like someone figured out that a lot of people were picking up on some subtext and just hit the "eject" button on the character so they wouldn't have to deal with it anymore

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »
    I'm kind of bummed out that giant bomb had a membership sale just a few days after I renewed mine at full price

:/

Y'know if you emailed rorie he might be able to help you, that guy is very good at his job

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    Kilroy wrote: »

:/

Y'know if you emailed rorie he might be able to help you, that guy is very good at his job

nah, it's not so bad as needing to do that

"could really use" is a bit of an exaggeration. "Would be nice to have" is probably more accurate

I can go a week without going out much to support gb

• Options
    Not my cuppa joe!
    Good. More podcasts need to spend inordinate amounts of airtime just looking up stuff online. It's a recipe for success, if you ask me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Not my cuppa joe!
    Dan

Dan no

Not Clash Royale...

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I sure do!
    Isn't he in a group with a bunch of wrestlers.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    I sure do!
    He's big into Clash of Clans because of wrestlers.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    honestly "a bunch of my friends play it and we get to swap strats" is among the best reasons to play shitty mobile games

liEt3nH.png
This discussion has been closed.