As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Edit

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    As a fedgov librarian I'm torn between making $DecentLibrarianCash and wanting to feel like what I do makes a difference to someone. Debt is keeping me on the DLC side of the ledger, but someday I want to reactivate my rusty reference skillz and help people answer burning questions (like "is there a website that will tell me why it burns when I pee?").

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Word from the higher ups at the company I'm leaving due to the contract changing hands is that we should get our offer letters from the new company today.

So I am obsessively refreshing my email. Because I'd really like the [Internal Screaming] to stop. And because I want to be able to say that I work for "Place to hunt snowy owls"

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    We're trying to do too many things at once on this project and it is seriously starting to impact perfomance and quality of the work

Of course, as long as we're checking off boxes in an excel sheet, who cares right?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »
    As a fedgov librarian I'm torn between making $DecentLibrarianCash and wanting to feel like what I do makes a difference to someone. Debt is keeping me on the DLC side of the ledger, but someday I want to reactivate my rusty reference skillz and help people answer burning questions (like "is there a website that will tell me why it burns when I pee?").

Hahah I know exactly what resources to use to answer that question!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Doesn't every reference desk have WebMD bookmarked? XD

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    We're trying to do too many things at once on this project and it is seriously starting to impact perfomance and quality of the work

Of course, as long as we're checking off boxes in an excel sheet, who cares right?

The dreaded box-check. I feels for ya.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Lady sends me an e-mail to tell me that, despite the odds, an event is likely to happen that will be in her favour. Opposing counsel has asked for her written consent to ensure the favourable event occurs. She wants to know what to do.

I tell her the options (provide consent, don't provide consent) and remind her that the event is in her favour.

"Yes, but how about I don't consent since the event might happen anyway?"

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Every time something like this happens I send a hateful, hateful thought bubble to legal dramas

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I got a spam email from the domain "offworldcolony.com"

there was at least 10 seconds there where I was all "...
    ... do I dare hope?"

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

... do I dare hope?"

Quaid says "get your ass to Mars!"

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

... do I dare hope?"
    Congatulatn yore selected for Mars Mision! Send us 780 american doll by paypl

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »

... do I dare hope?"
    Congatulatn yore selected for Mars Mision! Send us 780 american doll by paypl

Unfortunately due to customs restriction this cache of RARE MARTIAN ARTIFACTS is impounded. With a release fee of 1000$, as we are not a resident of <Country> we cannot pay this fee. Please send bank details for complete the transfer!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Oh man, the new intern has started doing that thing where whenever someone says a phrase that also happens to be part of the lyrics to a song, he starts singing that song. Every single time. That's always so annoying. Why do musical/theater kids always do that?

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Theater kids will take any opportunity to sing, no matter what

it's as sure as gravity

once I was trapped in an airport with a high school theater group

they spontaneously launched into a rendition of "My Freeze Ray" from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog

it was hell

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Oh man, the new intern has started doing that thing where whenever someone says a phrase that also happens to be part of the lyrics to a song, he starts singing that song. Every single time. That's always so annoying. Why do musical/theater kids always do that?

Because you just DON'T GET IT DAD, they've got the music in them...

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Theater kids will take any opportunity to sing, no matter what

it's as sure as gravity

once I was trapped in an airport with a high school theater group

they spontaneously launched into a rendition of "My Freeze Ray" from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog

it was hell

I love Dr. Horrible, I love that song, I sing along with it in my car all the time. If I was in that airport I would probably contemplate, like, making a run through the TSA line just to get out of there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I had a friend in high school who would do it and eventually it got to the point where:

1) Someone would accidentally say song lyrics
    2) His face would light up and he would open his mouth
    3) *DEATH STARE* from me
    4) He closes his mouth and looks at the ground
    5) I breathe a sigh of relief and smile

I harvested his joy

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »
    Doesn't every reference desk have WebMD bookmarked? XD

Well librarians are not supposed to find medical information for patrons. They are supposed to just get them on the resources and let them find the info they need.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm not a musician or a singer, but if I'm gonna have this song stuck in my head, you're gonna suffer as well.

After seeing the street fighter movie, my brother and I had Carmen Jones stuck in our heads and and soon as one announced he was free, the other would start humming it.

We were some vindictive little shits.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Personally I prefer the opposite. Intentionally seeding my conversation with song lyrics and seeing how long it takes the person to notice.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Just be a man and let it go.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Lady sends me an e-mail to tell me that, despite the odds, an event is likely to happen that will be in her favour. Opposing counsel has asked for her written consent to ensure the favourable event occurs. She wants to know what to do.

I tell her the options (provide consent, don't provide consent) and remind her that the event is in her favour.

Every time something like this happens I send a hateful, hateful thought bubble to legal dramas

Ooooh, I feel for you. Clients can be so frustrating.

One time I had to sit a client down and read them the riot act like they were a ten year old because they petulantly tried to refuse to come to their own deposition.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

This used to be me.

Not at like, work or anything, but at home and among my friends.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

One time I had to sit a client down and read them the riot act like they were a ten year old because they petulantly tried to refuse to come to their own deposition.

Oof. That must have been a fun conversation! :lol:

Ah, lovely lovely clients. The things we have to endure behind the scenes... :rotate:

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    And then there was the time when my client, the plaintiff, told me the defendant had lied... After the trail was over and we lost.

Oh, nice to know! Here's your check for zero dollars.

Glad I'm not practicing law any more.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Oof. That must have been a fun conversation! :lol:

Ah, lovely lovely clients. The things we have to endure behind the scenes... :rotate:

I could talk about clients and attorneys from the other side all day.

One time I was scheduling a deposition to depose a third party and I was trying to arrange an agreeable time for the other side to attend as well, e-mailing the attorney and basically saying "I'm deposing X, what times work for you?" No response. I e-mail a 2nd time, this time with a list of times that work for me and saying which of these times work for opposing counsel. No response. Okay, they've had their chance and I go ahead and schedule the deposition and e-mail them back saying the deposition is at this time and they're welcome to attend.

Less than 15 minutes later I get a blistering e-mail from opposing counsel accusing me of malfeasance and overly aggressive litigation tactics and threatening to bring this up with the judge who will surely not approve of such a gross violation of professional conduct.

I very calmly and precisely respond with "First, including you on a 3rd party deposition is a courtesy, not a requirement, and I am under no obligation to ensure that the deposition aligns with your schedule. Second, I e-mailed you twice in an attempt to schedule a time that is amenable to everybody, I have the read receipts showing that you read the e-mails, and I never received a response. Third, if you want to bring this up with the judge please feel free to do so. I have no problem watching you argue just how my repeated attempts (coupled with your lack of any attempt) to arrange a deposition time with you is somehow a gross violation of professional conduct. Also, consider this your notice that if you do pursue this I will move for sanctions for what is essentially wasting mine and the courts time."

Yeah, he agreed to my deposition time in his response. Dumbass.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Walk up to work, police fire & medics loading up a body. Talk to security, third OD today. Had one last night too after he had come in and groped one of my cashiers, and another in the parking garage a few nights ago that medics had to hit him with adrenaline.

But hey I got a small pay raise.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Walk up to work, police fire & medics loading up a body. Talk to security, third OD today. Had one last night too after he had come in and groped one of my cashiers, and another in the parking garage a few nights ago that medics had to hit him with adrenaline.

I really don't know if I should awesome this or lovely day.

Damn you Weaver!

(Is it wrong I immediately think of UHF and the wheel of fish when I see your posts?)

• Options
    Red snappuh!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I had a good phone conversation/interview with an individual who was not a part of the panel that interviewed me last week after work today, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

I've got a decent shot at this position, but I sure hope they make a decision soon because if it's not meant to be, I would like to try to get an interview at the high school my wife just got hired at.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016

I understand why it would never happen as it'd be one hell of a legal quagmire, but I really wish your store would train someone in the administration of naloxone and always have a dose on hand.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »

I understand why it would never happen as it'd be one hell of a legal quagmire, but I really wish your store would train someone in the administration of naloxone and always have a dose on hand.

If they're trained then good sam laws should apply.

I think the only time someone ever got bit by being a good Samaritan was when they had no medical training but decided the right thing to do was to pull someone out of a car wreck which contributed or directly caused the paralysis of the person in the wreck. Also, no one thought the car was going to explode nor was there any fire or any other immediate danger.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Still no word for my girlfriend from that government job. Hoping she hears either way this week because I can tell the waiting is killing her.

• Options

Not going anywhere near any of these guys with a sharp. I also need to crack on people late at night selling booze to obviosly intoxicated people.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Still no word for my girlfriend from that government job. Hoping she hears either way this week because I can tell the waiting is killing her.

I hate to say it, but the government is not generally known for responding very quickly.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    It's weird when you realize your job is to make sure a ton of people at all kinds of different companies are doing their job.

And apparently to make dinner reservations too.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular

Not going anywhere near any of these guys with a sharp. I also need to crack on people late at night selling booze to obviosly intoxicated people.

No joke, the last upstanding citizen I administered naloxone to told me I owed him money for counteracting his heroin.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I was informed there was a rat in the warehouse that was hiding in a crate and that it was the size of my forearm. Immensely curious, I wanted to see this colossal rodent but could not find it. Cut to afternoon and one of the traps that was set out snapped. I checked it and sure enough there was a rat, though I was disappointed to see it was no larger than my fist. I've seen bigger guinea pigs.

Well that was mundane moment for the day.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    ICUb wrote: »

No joke, the last upstanding citizen I administered naloxone to told me I owed him money for counteracting his heroin.

Have you ever had someone ODed on a speedball? I hear that is quite an experience after you administer naloxone.

You can practically hear the bell ring for round one.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I need to come up and memorize some success stories for my Progressive phone interview. The job would turn my life around and would make all this past bullshit worth it.. mostly. If anyone has any interview tips or has experience as a claims adjuster, I'm all ears.

Also the person who is training me for my current job was super dismissive about me needing time for an unemployment appeal phone appointment*, among other things. If I do get the job at Progressive I am so not feeling guilty for leaving. I'd still give notice, obviously, I'm not an asshole.

* Unemployment agreed to reschedule sometime in the future. The guy had a voice type I've never heard before - both monotone and disinterested and yet somehow frustrated.

This discussion has been closed.