As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WANTED: Impossible Skillset at Laughable Wage; Part-Time-Only [job] Thread

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    tomorrow is our final field trip and I'm trying to walk a thin line here because I know certain kids are going to want to go with me, but I want them to go with other staff, because they want to go with me. It's the perfect time for them to socialize with other kids outside of a school environment, not spend that time with an adult.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I got an email telling me to reset my linkedin password, so I did and then I was browsing around for a bit and found myself seeing who from my previous company is on linkedin.

There are two new employees, both with the same position title as I had, and both only list parts of the job I was doing, and neither were chartered accountants.

It's like people who talk about stalking exes, I just shouldn't do this to myself.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I need to come up and memorize some success stories for my Progressive phone interview. The job would turn my life around and would make all this past bullshit worth it.. mostly. If anyone has any interview tips or has experience as a claims adjuster, I'm all ears.

Also the person who is training me for my current job was super dismissive about me needing time for an unemployment appeal phone appointment*, among other things. If I do get the job at Progressive I am so not feeling guilty for leaving. I'd still give notice, obviously, I'm not an asshole.

* Unemployment agreed to reschedule sometime in the future. The guy had a voice type I've never heard before - both monotone and disinterested and yet somehow frustrated.

Last interview I had asked me to walk them through how I would diagnose a computer problem.

While this wasn't part of the job explicitly, they did want me to be able to explain my problem solving method through that question.

In all my research on interview questions, I never saw this one mentioned.

I further advise practicing talking out loud, looking in a mirror.

Practicing how to maintain eye contact with two or more people.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    First interview is over the phone. Good idea if I move on to an in person interview. Thanks!

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Today I had a coworker snap at me because i was taking notes about what needed to be done on a project. I was merely writing down something that either I needed to do or she needed to do. She then proceeded to just ask again and again in this totally indigent tone "do you think you are going to do that without asking me!?" just over and over again until someone else changed the subject.

Just... chill out. I am just taking notes im not screwing up your work by taking notes.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Never thought i'd be thankful for busy work. ~1500 names to change manually in the database (because database B does not do subordinate constituents, like a spouse who exists only as a subset of their spouse's profile, while database A does, and we don't want to lose this info), in-between work to do good for a couple days (more because Thursday's the big day for weekly meetings, and i'm doing a cross-training kind of thing this Friday that'll take half the day away)..

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    First night shift where I've fallen asleep at my desk and still over two hours to go ugh.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I was informed there was a rat in the warehouse that was hiding in a crate and that it was the size of my forearm. Immensely curious, I wanted to see this colossal rodent but could not find it. Cut to afternoon and one of the traps that was set out snapped. I checked it and sure enough there was a rat, though I was disappointed to see it was no larger than my fist. I've seen bigger guinea pigs.

Well that was mundane moment for the day.

Consider yourself lucky your rats are dumb enough to get caught in the traps. We have a proper infestation at work (which also is where we live so that's great) and all they do when we set traps is steal the bait and run. Except one who got half his face taken off but.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Shift ended about 40 minutes ago, most of the day was pretty calm because after those three ODs I guess people didn't want get high around the store, but then around ten this guy walks in, grunting and yelling to himself, with his pants so far down his dick is flailing about. I paged security and we ran him out. He kicked our window on the way out but it didn't crack, thankfully.

We already have enough crack problems.

• Options
    I just had the Epiphany that I worked 7 hours last week after the pay ended. Combined with the hours I work this weekend and the shift I picked up tonight, that is placed me at over 30 hours for this week. This is in addition to however much I will work next week.

So I've gone from pretty glum about how I'm going to pay my bills, to being pretty damn happy.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    One more day and it's a glorious three day weekend.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Had my annual performance review. Really weird. I basically got no feedback on how my performance the last year had been except 'Lucas is a known quantity and did Lucas work'.. which I guess is meeting expectations? I did some good stuff, I knocked a few things out of the park, I did the bare minimum to keep the lights on in some places... my past years output was covered in 3 sentences at the start of the meeting, and was the most vague feedback on performance I've ever had at annual review. Lucas does Lucas things. What the fuck does that even mean?

The rest of the meeting was spent discussing goals and plans for the next year, again kinda equally vaguely. It was kind of weird, because my manager basically challenged me to go out and find work to assign myself and I'm thinking 'wait, isn't what they pay you for?', but I think the gist of it is that I need to stop only doing Lucas things but also stretch myself to do something else. She doesn't really care what it is, so long as I hit it with the full focus of my attention and skills and show off what I'm actually capable of when I put my mind to something. So I think essentially I'm supposed to find a passion project?

Like I say it was a bit vague and weird. My feedback was I did some things; my goals are I should find something to do. That's... not the most incredibly helpful guidance I've ever had, there.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Also today someone decided to direct a protest to the Prime Minister by painting a message on the side of a small tanker and parking it in front of parliament, which lead to a security lockdown on campus and police diverting traffic on all the streets around us. Which didn't really affect our day all that much until I went out for lunch. It seems that uniformed police officers on heightened security alert outside the seat of government would prefer it if you don't jaywalk across the closed lanes of the road. Who knew?

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    As long as you blew on your hot meat pie to help cool it before you bit into it, everything will be okay.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    The only thing keeping me here is the speed at which these pipes fill with water.

On the one hand, the longer it takes, the more money I make, the less I have to wait for a bus home.

On the other hand, this requires time that could be spent sleeping.

On the plus side, nothing coming out of my mouth could be consider flirting when conversing with client staff just now.......did that dust bunny just move? there's no breeze in here.....

Edit: jinxed myself, covering an auto crisis for an indefinite amount of time.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Robonun wrote: »
    Doesn't every reference desk have WebMD bookmarked? XD

Well librarians are not supposed to find medical information for patrons. They are supposed to just get them on the resources and let them find the info they need.

You take all the fun out of handing them the results page that says they have toe cancer. :(

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    (Is it wrong I immediately think of UHF and the wheel of fish when I see your posts?)
    Weaver wrote: »
    Red snappuh!

I've been thinking this pretty much every post of his for the last, what, thirteen years?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    So.. Interesting thing. I applied on Indeed for a local sales position at a car dealership with a base salary of $80,000. Mainly because it was a one click apply and why not, y'know? Not 20 minutes later I get an email asking for me to come in for an interview. So now I have a phone interview with Progressive tomorrow and an in person interview with the local Ford dealership later in the day.

I know selling cars is one of those kind of morally grey areas but for some reason I think I'd do well at it. Either way, I did not expect a response, much less an immediate one.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    car dealership... salary? I thought that was mostly commission work.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    The EFF is hiring a software engineer and boy howdy do I wish I were done with my Python classes already. I started reading their benefits page:
    14 paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Years.
    20 personal time off (PTO) days to be used for any purpose.

Ok yeah word

Then there's 100% employee health benefit and 50% family, which is pretty standard.
    For every pre-tax dollar employees contribute to their own retirements, EFF will contribute 10 cents.

Oh.
    EFF contributes $2,000 into each employee's retirement account every year (they have to have one!) .

Oh.
    For qualified employees with student debt, EFF provides monthly reimbursement for the full amount.

Wait, what
    For qualified employees who rent their homes, EFF will pay the difference between employees' contributions of 19% of their salaries and a maximum monthly rental payment of $2,500 after one year of employment.

For qualified employees who wish to purchase homes, EFF has a fund that, until exhausted, will provide zero-payment, shared equity mortgage loans up to 15% of a home's purchase price, up to $150,000.

what in the hell

that benefits package would be worth upwards of $25k a year, unless you bought a house, in which case as much as like $170k. That is bonkers.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Email from HR that went out to the entire office about an hour before I left work yesterday.
    Our FedEx guy informed me that police are looking for a subject in the neighborhood. He had no information, he just said they had dogs and guns. Just an FYI to have people be careful.

We locked the back door, please keep an eye out for any suspicious activity on the way to your car tonight.

Made for a long night, since I live within walking distance of where I work.
    Didn't see anything out of the ordinary, but I haven't heard any updates either.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Madican wrote: »
    I was informed there was a rat in the warehouse that was hiding in a crate and that it was the size of my forearm. Immensely curious, I wanted to see this colossal rodent but could not find it. Cut to afternoon and one of the traps that was set out snapped. I checked it and sure enough there was a rat, though I was disappointed to see it was no larger than my fist. I've seen bigger guinea pigs.

Well that was mundane moment for the day.

Consider yourself lucky your rats are dumb enough to get caught in the traps. We have a proper infestation at work (which also is where we live so that's great) and all they do when we set traps is steal the bait and run. Except one who got half his face taken off but.

When I was doing pets at the hell known to men I was getting 20 pallets of pet food a day that is why I roll my eyes at managers saying ____ does a good job with 8
    I got taken out of pets for doing what they said. They wanted a minium of pallets to come back to I made the dog food pallets of bags 12 feet tall I did not use a ladder
    But when this one dog food would come in it usually had a rat in it so it was always fun to open the box and take the chance

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    car dealership... salary? I thought that was mostly commission work.

It's listed as having one. I'll ask in the interview.

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    The EFF is hiring a software engineer and boy howdy do I wish I were done with my Python classes already. I started reading their benefits page:
    14 paid holidays, including the week between Christmas and New Years.
    20 personal time off (PTO) days to be used for any purpose.

Ok yeah word

Then there's 100% employee health benefit and 50% family, which is pretty standard.
    For every pre-tax dollar employees contribute to their own retirements, EFF will contribute 10 cents.

Oh.
    EFF contributes $2,000 into each employee's retirement account every year (they have to have one!) .

Oh.
    For qualified employees with student debt, EFF provides monthly reimbursement for the full amount.

Wait, what
    For qualified employees who rent their homes, EFF will pay the difference between employees' contributions of 19% of their salaries and a maximum monthly rental payment of $2,500 after one year of employment.

For qualified employees who wish to purchase homes, EFF has a fund that, until exhausted, will provide zero-payment, shared equity mortgage loans up to 15% of a home's purchase price, up to $150,000.

what in the hell

that benefits package would be worth upwards of $25k a year, unless you bought a house, in which case as much as like $170k. That is bonkers.

Holy shit. To think if I had gone into CS in college I would have much better job potential. Damn my 20 year old self.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So.. Interesting thing. I applied on Indeed for a local sales position at a car dealership with a base salary of $80,000. Mainly because it was a one click apply and why not, y'know? Not 20 minutes later I get an email asking for me to come in for an interview. So now I have a phone interview with Progressive tomorrow and an in person interview with the local Ford dealership later in the day.

I know selling cars is one of those kind of morally grey areas but for some reason I think I'd do well at it. Either way, I did not expect a response, much less an immediate one.

Selling new cars is fine. It's only morally grey if you make it that way.

Used cars, however... My partner Amy had to give it up after a few months because she just couldn't sell people cars she knew were heaps of shit.

Ford though, they're doing some pretty good shit these days, you could be proud of selling Fords.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Had my annual performance review. Really weird. I basically got no feedback on how my performance the last year had been except 'Lucas is a known quantity and did Lucas work'.. which I guess is meeting expectations? I did some good stuff, I knocked a few things out of the park, I did the bare minimum to keep the lights on in some places... my past years output was covered in 3 sentences at the start of the meeting, and was the most vague feedback on performance I've ever had at annual review. Lucas does Lucas things. What the fuck does that even mean?

The rest of the meeting was spent discussing goals and plans for the next year, again kinda equally vaguely. It was kind of weird, because my manager basically challenged me to go out and find work to assign myself and I'm thinking 'wait, isn't what they pay you for?', but I think the gist of it is that I need to stop only doing Lucas things but also stretch myself to do something else. She doesn't really care what it is, so long as I hit it with the full focus of my attention and skills and show off what I'm actually capable of when I put my mind to something. So I think essentially I'm supposed to find a passion project?

Like I say it was a bit vague and weird. My feedback was I did some things; my goals are I should find something to do. That's... not the most incredibly helpful guidance I've ever had, there.

You're reaching a senior level, right? What they were likely trying to say is: you are ready to be a leader and mover, you just need to do it. As people move up the proverbial ladder of experience, they should be directing more and more of their own work (and who wouldn't want to, do the stuff YOU think should be done). However, most companies do a poor job of prepping people for this, as you not only need to learn new areas and technologies, you need to learn how to communicate better and influence other people to say "yeah, that should be done".
    My personal recommendation would be to sit down and say "If I were the boss, what would be my focus based on what I know?" Then go do that after validating that what you know is actually reality.

• Options
    Fishman works for a government department though.

• Options
    Fishman works for a government department though.

Eh, a lot of the principles are the same between very large organizations (I work for a Fortune 100). There's so much going on that doing things that materially make your corner better and more efficient are looked on kindly. Influence works in a similar fashion (short of primary motives, you have to do a lot more motive discovery in government vs. tying to business goals). At the end of the day, if you're making people's lives better or easier, they're (hopefully) going to remember it, and that should be the primary focus of your job as a senior technical professional, barring major goals set by your management.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Used cars, however... My partner Amy had to give it up after a few months because she just couldn't sell people cars she knew were heaps of shit.

Ford though, they're doing some pretty good shit these days, you could be proud of selling Fords.

The base salary kinda makes sense to me. It's a high-pressure, high-turnover kind of position. If you're not landing sales or bringing people in to cover that kind of salary, they'll just get rid of you. And I bet it's after some kind of training period, where you make considerably less.

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »

The base salary kinda makes sense to me. It's a high-pressure, high-turnover kind of position. If you're not landing sales or bringing people in to cover that kind of salary, they'll just get rid of you. And I bet it's after some kind of training period, where you make considerably less.

Yeah, you're seeing more dealerships go to it, especially if they're "no haggle". Not to mention that the holdback/margins aren't such that there's as huge a spread between cost and MSRP these days, so there's limited incentive to push the price up.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    What I've heard is that the makers will offer bonuses on certain models.

You basically make a disbursement, then you have to sell a few cars to cover it. If you don't sell enough to cover 2 months in a row you're fired. Anything above that is bonus.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

this is the key bit to keep in mind. With a non-commissioned salary like that, the pressure to perform will be high. But if you can do it and you don't hate it, sounds like it could be the way to go.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I was in auto sales for a stint when I got out of the army. It was not a good place to be if you had any integrity whatsoever. And it wasn't some shady side-lot used car place.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    While I am standing on a shaky raised platform suffering from carpal tunnel while I try to tighten these bolts on a clamp, is the abosolute worse time for my co-workers to start talking about Trump's rally in Albuquerque

fortunately I couldn't decide if I wanted to murder them or end my own life before they shut up.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    I'm leaning towards the Progressive claims adjuster job as it's guaranteed salary and plays to my strengths. Assuming I get an offer, of course. The less I have to do the $11/hr in home aide job the better. I didn't go to school to bathe a disabled person (no offense if you enjoy such work).

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Why, when you have been part of a program 24 hours a day for two months and never raised any issues, would you then raise those issues on your feedback form?

If you mentioned those issues at some point during those two months maybe they could have been addressed, and you would avoid the need to be a whiny little bitch later

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Still no word for my girlfriend from that government job. Hoping she hears either way this week because I can tell the waiting is killing her.

I hate to say it, but the government is not generally known for responding very quickly.
    Understatement.

I applied for my job while I was still in uniform and didn't get informed that I had it until after I had been working elsewhere for eight months after EOS. Almost eighteen months in total.

I have been told by others that this was fast. I'll note that even moving between positions inside your Department can take like a year.

I should add that my cousin went through an almost two year wait for her position. Another waited about 15 months to get the final notification and then had to wait another 4 months while they finished his SSBI.

A quick check with some friends reveals that many of them feel 15-18 months is pretty normal.

...one final input. The Park Ranger said her approval came through in about 7 months.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Why, when you have been part of a program 24 hours a day for two months and never raised any issues, would you then raise those issues on your feedback form?

If you mentioned those issues at some point during those two months maybe they could have been addressed, and you would avoid the need to be a whiny little bitch later

Fear of retribution? Not knowing who to talk to? Lack of faith in the problems being resolved?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Dealing with vendors can be frustrating:

"This isn't working"
    "Ask them if they tried this, this or this"
    "Yup, still not working"
    "Ask them if they tried it again after 10am or if they tried while drinking coffee"
    "Still not working, can you get on a call with us and them to get any other info?"
    "We really don't have enough information to talk to them, can you ask them if it was a full moon and if they are a lycanthrope?"
    "Sure, is this the last thing you need to know?"
    "Yes, promise"
    "Ok, they said that it's a quarter moon and they are not a lycanthrope"
    "Can you ask them what version of Android they are running,if they are lactose intolerant and if their 3rd grade teacher was hot?"
    "You said that was the last question"
    "Sorry."
    "They love milk and run Android 10.1.4.523.12 and that Mrs. Farfegnugen was not hot, she was 90."
    "Sorry, it took so long to gather all our questions we don't have access to those logs anymore"

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Woot, screening interview next week. Only the 2nd overall in two months of hard-core job hunting.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
This discussion has been closed.