Options

[Chat]stuck is over.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I promise you that Ghost in the Shell would have a near-zero percent chance of making any kind of worthwhile money if Rinko Kikuchi were cast as the Major

I'm personally deeply invested in seeing more major films with non-white leads, and I've been called an idealist

This is why films with obscure main stars have a list actors in supporting roles. And it's not like Charlie Hunnam was getting seats filled with his presence, but I'm sure he made the investors feel comfy.
    But I'm not a blind idealist

Hollywood is racist, but so are audiences

Not as much as they think, and they're not powerless to convert audiences.

That's correct!

Neither did Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, or giant fuckoff robots!

While the movie wasn't a smash hit it wasn't a complete flop either so it must have done something right. The question is - how do you tell which actors effected what?
    And I'd be willing to bet that swapping Elba and Hunnam in a production with that kind of cost would've been laughed at

Yep.
    And I'd also be willing to bet that a Pacific Rim with Elba as the lead would've made even less at the box office

I don't know, but Hollywood sure isn't interested in finding out.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    I think VH is staying at my apartment for a night. What's the etiquette for cooking and eating a guest? Like, do I have to actually exhaust all other food options first or just the major protein sources?

dk make sure he can cross the threshold of your abode uninvited

if he insists on staying outside until you invite him in you might have an unseelie/vampire/dark gundam on your hands and you should put cold iron/blessed wood/your love, your anger, and all of your sorrow through him posthaste welcome him warmly

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I promise you that Ghost in the Shell would have a near-zero percent chance of making any kind of worthwhile money if Rinko Kikuchi were cast as the Major

I'm personally deeply invested in seeing more major films with non-white leads, and I've been called an idealist

I mean there's no way to definitely prove this one or another...

But look at the success of Rush Hour, a movie with no white people on the poster

Look at Big Hero 6, a movie with an asian lead character

The new Jungle Book, like I said

Life of Pi

The general public is prejudiced, no doubt, but I think they're always much more ready to see movies starring minorities than Hollywood gives them credit for

these examples are awful

Both Chackie Jan and Tis Chrucker were more or less A-list or otherwise well known

Big Hero 6 was a cartoon and almost all of the marketing featured Baymax not the kid, and the kid, being a weird pixar cartoon thing wasn't really identifiable as any particular race

Jungle book is a known and loved property, aimed at kids.

Life of Pi was already well established in the popular knowledge. But it is probably the best counter example to the risk averse narrative attributed to hollywood casting motivations.

But we are also talking about a brain in a robot body to which the aforesaid brain feels no particular attachment and considers it to be of little importance, at which point "yes, but is she asian?" seems to fade into even more insignificance and cuts against one of the themes of the movie. I would deem GiTS less well known than Life of Pi and less appealing to the mniddlebrow sensibilities of the majority than a cute kid in a cgi fest playing with a tiger.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Maybe Pacific Rim would have done better if it didn't have the blandest title of all time

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I got no doubt that all the people responsible for hiring a white lady to play a character named Kusanagi feel like they're the victims of circumstance. 'Oh, we're not racist, it's just, you know, the general public isn't ready'...

But here's the thing, Hollywood - you're part of this world.

DVflBpe.gif

And you got a responsibility to make it better.

Burn it all down

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Maybe Pacific Rim would have done better if it didn't have the blandest title of all time

and it was not terrible and more robots for more time

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    ghost in the shell is going to totally bomb no matter who they cast - mark it down

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    ghost in the shell is going to totally bomb no matter who they cast - mark it down

Pretty much and it won't be Scarlet's fault.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Pretty much and it won't be Scarlet's fault.

If I am understanding this situation correctly, then it will be Boy George's fault.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Ghost in the Shell shouldn't get made

I mean really

Edit: the issue with Hollywood is that movie financing is effectively gambling

Like it is pretty much random whether or not you will hit the jackpot

But like most inveterate gamblers the studios have a system

And like most inveterate gamblers that system is like 9/10 bullshit and confirmation bias and gamblers fallacies

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Elldren wrote: »

I mean really

I can be made, it's not impossible to make a great movie series from it. But not with what Hollywood's doing with this. The whitewashing is the least of their worries, though.

edit: They already have a blueprint with SAC, and the manga. I'd have liked this to be a co-production with Japan's film industry, get one of their top directors to fill the big chair, do a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on it.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It did fine outside of the US. Maybe Americans have just decided no. We will only watch Michael Bay robots.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

I mean really

I can be made, it's not impossible to make a great movie series from it. But not with what Hollywood's doing with this. The whitewashing is the least of their worries, though.

edit: They already have a blueprint with SAC, and the manga. I'd have liked this to be a co-production with Japan's film industry, get one of their top directors to fill the big chair, do a Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon on it.

I'll rephrase: Hollywood shouldn't make ghost in the shell

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Or if it was interesting

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Or if it was interesting
    But then it wouldn't be an action movie heyoooooo

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Eh gods....that Egyptian Orchestra/Band......awful.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

Or if it was interesting

I just wish they had a better independence day speech than "canceling the apocalypse"

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

It had an awesome theme though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

Or if it was interesting

I just wish they had a better independence day speech than "canceling the apocalypse"

Elba failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfBVIHgQbYk

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Just don't make movies about any animes, thanks.

• Options
    Rebels is a pretty decent show.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Cowboy Bebop, starring Tom Hiddleston as Spike, The Rock as Jet

Bill Murray as Ein

• Options
    A k Jun
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mouse!

Also, a hamburger.

Also, Squeakel.

4ndwOYyl.jpg

mein gott @spool32

tumblr_lpkhy5mYVF1qctr8a.png

the seed is strong

• Options
    Just don't make movies about any animes, thanks.

Too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWNOtcZuKdI

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think I said this when we were discussing Exodus: I don't think Hollywood casting is actively racist. However it is stuck in a feedback loop of casting famous names, and because most famous names are white, there you go. This may combine with the wider trend of being reluctant to take chances on any front, hence why Sequels/Remakes/Reboots, even if their raw numbers haven't actually risen, are sure as hell marketed more than original IP. The same applies to casting choices, they want things the public already knows as it is a safe bet.

It's also like when Activision canned some projects that had female leads. It wasn't because "Eww Cooties" or whatever, they were blindly following sales trends that had male leads, and that blind trend following looks awful from outside.

• Options
    I still want my live action film of Panzermadels.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Geth, recycle the thread on page 100.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Jacobkosh. Thread will be recycled after 100 pages.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Pokemon: The Movie, starring Avan Jogia as Ash, The Rock as Brock

Bill Murray as Pikachu

• Options
    edited April 2016
    To me, Kid Rock looks like a cross of Johnny Depp and Snoop Dogg in that picture

...also perhaps related: I just watched At World's End and I liked it

Eddy on
  • Options
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    How can you cast a wrestler as Brock
    And not cast Brock

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Thomamelas @desc @Elldren @MrAnthropy

going through the logs, it turns out certain predictions were made:
    Jacobkosh: Cann, roll either a Lore, Knowledge (Outer Rim), or Mechanics check
    Jacobkosh: diff 1
    Cann_Starfall: B :)
    Cann_Starfall: B:)
    Cann_Starfall: B)
    Cann_Starfall: 4 successes, 1 advantage
    GZ-9Z: (whoo)
    Cann_Starfall: (that will be the best roll i make in this entire game: tunnel awareness -_- _

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    And not cast Brock

this white privilege...

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    And not cast Brock

this white privilege...

How about I throw in Paul Heymann because let's face not even WWE trusts Brock to talk

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    John Cena would make for a hysterical slightly pervy clueless/outgoing pokemon gym trainer

That dude is alright in my book I tell you hwat

Actually I feel like this was precisely how MIB and the Jump Street franchises crossed over

Eddy on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have night sweats?

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    To me, Kid Rock looks like a cross of Johnny Depp and Snoop Dogg in that picture

...also perhaps related: I just watched At World's End and I liked it

To me, Kid Rock looks like a cross between an actual homosapien and the kind of grease stain off-brand SPAM-style products would leave on motel room sheets

@Cinders I have night sweats as well sometimes. No idea why.

This post is creepy and gross

This discussion has been closed.