Options

[Chat]stuck is over.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Imagine how terrible Die Hard, Breaking Bad, Inception, the Hunger Games, and Guardians of the Galaxy would have been if they had just casted pencilneck twerps from TV sitcoms in the lead roles

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Also you know what's a big giant counter example to the idea that a movie can't be a success with an unknown asian actor in the lead? The new Jungle Book, which is raking in dough and stars an unknown Indian-American actor
    Yeah, but I mean it also has Bill Fucking Murray, Idris Elba, Scarjo, Ben Kingsley, Christopher Walken, and Lupita Nyong'o.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I listened to that video and it is this situation where I'm going "okay yes you're saying some good things but you are coming to the wrong conclusion"

his blaming of a nebulous (and therefore impossible to contest) concept of "culture" being the real bête noire the most egregious aspect

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Also you know what's a big giant counter example to the idea that a movie can't be a success with an unknown asian actor in the lead? The new Jungle Book, which is raking in dough and stars an unknown Indian-American actor

but then it loses points for deviating from its source material
    not racist enough
    King Louie's I Wanna Be Like You song: the most potent combination of racism and catchy songwriting since I Wish I Was in Dixie

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Feral wrote: »
    Imagine how terrible Die Hard, Breaking Bad, Inception, the Hunger Games, and Guardians of the Galaxy would have been if they had just casted pencilneck twerps from TV sitcoms in the lead roles

Will Smith ought to do a Blazing Saddles remake except it's even more transparently a hollywood skewering this time around somehow

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Is jungle book anything to do with Tarzan.I think I may have just come across one of those long-lived lies from my parents

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    I just watched the trailer and I admit I'm biased because the 1994 live action version was a huge part of my childhood, but god damn do I hate CGI lipsynch on live action animals.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Coinage wrote: »
    Yeah, but I mean it also has Bill Fucking Murray, Idris Elba, Scarjo, Ben Kingsley, Christopher Walken, and Lupita Nyong'o.
    Sure, but they aren't the lead and their faces aren't on the posters, plus I don't think there would be nearly as much backlash if the Ghost in the Shell movie had an asian lead but a couple of a-list non-asian people as side characters.

wandering on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    "Hollywood can't cast an asian in the lead for this big film because there are no asian a-listers in hollywood"

AND WHO'S FAULT IS THAT EXACTLY

Because an action franchise can't survive without an a-list action star at the helm

Just like how Hugh Jackman, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Daisy Ridley, and John Boyega were all well known action stars before taking up their respective costumes

I don't disagree with you, but only two of those actors were carrying the main headlining weight for their initial appearances

Hugh Jackman initially didn't have to mean shit when you had Halle Berry, Patrick Stewart and Ian MacKellan as well as the property's name on the poster. Daisy-chan and John Boyega were in MOTHERFUCKING STAR WARS

This was both good and bad, yes it was very strong brand but wasn't near it's peak before the movie hit theaters. The promotions and the movie itself went along way to boost support after the prequels. Plus it had Han, Leia and Luke in it.

• Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Is jungle book anything to do with Tarzan.I think I may have just come across one of those long-lived lies from my parents

No.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Not really. Different authors, different genres, some similar themes. Tarzan was likely partly inspired by Jungle Book.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Well played parents, that one lasted until my thirties.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    speaking of star wars.

*queues it up to watch again*

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Sure, but they aren't the lead and their faces aren't on the posters, plus I don't think there would be nearly as much backlash if the Ghost in the Shell movie had an asiaMn lead but a couple of a-list non-asian people as side characters.
    I agree they should and could have found an Asian actress, I just think that's a bad example. There are very few 12 year olds that are already famous. :P

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Studio execs get kicked out if they do something goes wrong wrong and their movie loses money

This is kinda tough because sometimes the public is random as fuck, or sometimes you're just stuck with a shitty movie

So you gotta say at that big meeting that hey, you did everything you could to make it a success

Famous actors doing voices really seems to have pretty much zero effect on the success of a kids movie. The little kids don't care and the parents aren't there to hear some famous person collecting a paycheck in the first place. Yet they keep tossing millions of dollars for big name actors to do voice acting, because by god if your movie flops you'd better be able to explain why it's not your casting that's the fault.

It's the same with casting minority and unknown actors. Probably plenty of hollywood producers would be willing to privately talk about the issues with casting in Hollywood. But until they start thinking it's going to affect the money they're going to keep doing the same thing on purpose.

So I don't really think Hollywood is racist, and I don't really blame any particular movie for just trusting in inertia with its casting, even when that inertia is blatant whitewashing. But I also advocate burning a movie or two at the stake for doing it, so that there's an actual demonstration of "why should we change?"

It's the system's fault, but since nobody is actually in charge of the system acknowledging that alone isn't going to get anything to change.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    oh kana I was looking around at ozu's 'pillow shot' style and @Jacobkosh 's example of the traffic light in twin peaks came up in this article

http://dangerousminds.net/content/uploads/images/lynchtwinpeaksaesiubda.gif

that shot is so cool

Eddy on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I think VH is staying at my apartment for a night. What's the etiquette for cooking and eating a guest? Like, do I have to actually exhaust all other food options first or just the major protein sources?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I just want to be a good host.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Well played parents, that one lasted until my thirties.

Just think, you have all this time to come up with a few of your own, now

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Of course, the important question is whether making Kaa female is more or less sexist. :rotate:

Coinage on
  • Options
    I got no doubt that all the people responsible for hiring a white lady to play a character named Kusanagi feel like they're the victims of circumstance. 'Oh, we're not racist, it's just, you know, the general public isn't ready'...

But here's the thing, Hollywood - you're part of this world.

DVflBpe.gif

And you got a responsibility to make it better.

• Options
    (a clip from a movie with like a 99% white cast: maybe not the best thing to use when arguing for more diversity in hollywood movies, but)

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    It's the same with casting minority and unknown actors. Probably plenty of hollywood producers would be willing to privately talk about the issues with casting in Hollywood. But until they start thinking it's going to affect the money they're going to keep doing the same thing on purpose.

So I don't really think Hollywood is racist, and I don't really blame any particular movie for just trusting in inertia with its casting, even when that inertia is blatant whitewashing. But I also advocate burning a movie or two at the stake for doing it, so that there's an actual demonstration of "why should we change?"

While there is truth to what you're saying Hollywood isn't immune to racism, whether it's overt or passive. Various factors tie into this, from denial that there is a problem to stupidity to cronyism to plain ol' racism. If it was about money this issue would be solved ages ago, or be less of a issue whenever minority leads have success - but nothing changes. The results end up not being enough when the goal posts move or dismissed entirely and we're back to status quo. This is immensely difficult to solve since it's entrenched everywhere and the leaders aren't in any rush to change anything because they like exactly how the system works. Demonstrations mean nothing in this environment, otherwise we'd be having a lot more progress.
    It's the system's fault, but since nobody is actually in charge of the system acknowledging that alone isn't going to get anything to change.

There's plenty of people in charge of the system, and they're the ones perpetuating the problem rather than fixing it.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Studio execs get kicked out if they do something goes wrong wrong and their movie loses money

This is kinda tough because sometimes the public is random as fuck, or sometimes you're just stuck with a shitty movie

So you gotta say at that big meeting that hey, you did everything you could to make it a success

Famous actors doing voices really seems to have pretty much zero effect on the success of a kids movie. The little kids don't care and the parents aren't there to hear some famous person collecting a paycheck in the first place. Yet they keep tossing millions of dollars for big name actors to do voice acting, because by god if your movie flops you'd better be able to explain why it's not your casting that's the fault.

Organizational inertia and racism aren't exactly the same thing, but they're frequent bedfellows.

• Options
    you know what's weird is that the original kaa has the same voice as winnie the pooh

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I just want to be a good host.

I want to see if this washcloth thing is endemic across whites of all regions and sizes

But to indirectly answer your question I believe the ancient tenet of guest right only comes into effect once you offer him salt and bread

Eddy on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    I got no doubt that all the people responsible for hiring a white lady to play a character named Kusanagi feel like they're the victims of circumstance. 'Oh, we're not racist, it's just, you know, the general public isn't ready'...

But here's the thing, Hollywood - you're part of this world.

DVflBpe.gif

And you got a responsibility to make it better.

I promise you that Ghost in the Shell would have a near-zero percent chance of making any kind of worthwhile money if Rinko Kikuchi were cast as the Major

I'm personally deeply invested in seeing more major films with non-white leads, and I've been called an idealist

But I'm not a blind idealist

Hollywood is racist, but so are audiences

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    "Hollywood can't cast an asian in the lead for this big film because there are no asian a-listers in hollywood"

I think it is probably my fault

• Options
    I promise you that Ghost in the Shell would have a near-zero percent chance of making any kind of worthwhile money if Rinko Kikuchi were cast as the Major

I'm personally deeply invested in seeing more major films with non-white leads, and I've been called an idealist

This is why films with obscure main stars have a list actors in supporting roles. And it's not like Charlie Hunnam was getting seats filled with his presence, but I'm sure he made the investors feel comfy.

Not as much as they think, and they're not powerless to convert audiences.

• Options
    (a clip from a movie with like a 99% white cast: maybe not the best thing to use when arguing for more diversity in hollywood movies, but)
    Well Middle Earth is England, that's just being true to the setting.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I think it is probably my fault

You know what to do.

latest?cb=20120807115432

• Options
    googling 'kaa winnie the pooh'

stumbles across kaa fetish fan art

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    googling 'kaa winnie the pooh'

stumbles across kaa fetish fan art

aaaahhhhhhhhhhh
    You're an Internet Person, you know the cost of hubris.

• Options

I mean there's no way to definitely prove this one or another...

But look at the success of Rush Hour, a movie with no white people on the poster

Look at Big Hero 6, a movie with an asian lead character

The new Jungle Book, like I said

Life of Pi

The general public is prejudiced, no doubt, but I think they're always much more ready to see movies starring minorities than Hollywood gives them credit for

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    UEfk9PH.png
    1aPM2TS.png

Best Sanrio character

She had my vote

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Hubris? I'm not even Jewish!

• Options
    Was that even a joke? Who knows anymore, I'm sure someone will find value in it

*smokes a dank nugg of Lyotard and Baudrillard*

• Options

This is why films with obscure main stars have a list actors in supporting roles. And it's not like Charlie Hunnam was getting seats filled with his presence, but I'm sure he made the investors feel comfy.

Not as much as they think, and they're not powerless to convert audiences.

That's correct!

Neither did Rinko Kikuchi, Idris Elba, Ron Perlman, or giant fuckoff robots!
    And I'd be willing to bet that swapping Elba and Hunnam in a production with that kind of cost would've been laughed at

And I'd also be willing to bet that a Pacific Rim with Elba as the lead would've made even less at the box office

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I keep falling in love with John Boyega in the Star Wars. The scene where he's all like, "Hear that. I'm in charge" with the head shake and everything. So many laughs.

• Options

I mean there's no way to definitely prove this one or another...

But look at the success of Rush Hour, a movie with no white people on the poster

Look at Big Hero 6, a movie with an asian lead character

The new Jungle Book, like I said

Life of Pi

The general public is prejudiced, no doubt, but I think they're always much more ready to see movies starring minorities than Hollywood gives them credit for

Rush Hour: comedy, people feel comfortable laughing at brown folks

Big Hero Six: animated characters aren't people

Jungle Book: child, doesn't count

Life of Pi: got me there. I didn't realize it actually made money, I thought critics just jizzed all over about it

This discussion has been closed.