As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Network failure. :(

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Gosh, CEO looks so ratchet.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Infiltration should have used the headset. The crowd started to affect him.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It's a nice gesture, but consider that Balrog is already supposed to be out, but they delayed and delayed, and that all the DLC characters are playable in the story mode anyway, so teasing them is superfluous when they're not actually getting full releases.

The actual news is that they're both tourney legal for EVO, which was in serious doubt before now. Capcom must have asked for a favour to get that agreement.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    To be clear, this month was supposed to be the story mode and new character the next one.

Both legal? Banning characters is bad for business.

EDIT: They broke the tradition of having the new character fight the previous one. Black man pummeling a Japanese schoolgirl didn't go well with the focus group.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    The 3rd character (who was supposed to be Balrog) was actually supposed to come out in May. Capcom delayed, then switched to Ibuki, then delayed again, and now isn't releasing the May/June update till it's technically July. Considering that they were probably going to leave Ibuki out of EVO when she was supposed to be released a month ago, now that we have 2 characters coming out basically 2 weeks before EVO itself, letting them in is a bit of a coup.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I am absolutely fine with Tekken continuing its tradition of straight-faced dumb

Mortal Kombat brought legitimacy of dumb fighting game stories to the West and I am only happier to see Capcom and Namco strengthen their previous efforts to cater to new tastes

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Hey, folks. I haven't played fighting games in a [very] long time, but I've been itching to get back into it. I have a Street Fighter IV FightStick Tournament Edition that I loved using on my Xbox 360 back in the day, and I'd like to continue using it on my Xbox One. (Not only because I like it, but also so that I won't have to drop $150+ for something comparable.)

I've seen some stuff around the intarwebs about the CronusMAX providing cross-platform controller support, but I'd like to hear some first-hand accounts before I take the plunge. Has anyone here used this peripheral, and does it work? Particularly in regards to fighsticks and/or 360-to-One conversion?

Thanks!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It's an expensive piece of kit that you won't be bringing anywhere remotely competitive, but for personal use at home it's incredibly convenient outside of a few configuration affectations. I don't own one myself but it seemed to do a reasonably bang-up job when I tried it out at a friend's place and supports a shit-ton of peripherals that might not otherwise be control options to your console of choice.

That said, it costs pretty much the same as a newly-compatible fight stick and I've anecdotally heard about cases of input lag which sounds like a no-no for fighting games

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It's an expensive piece of kit that you won't be bringing anywhere remotely competitive, but for personal use at home it's incredibly convenient outside of a few configuration affectations. I don't own one myself but it seemed to do a reasonably bang-up job when I tried it out at a friend's place and supports a shit-ton of peripherals that might not otherwise be control options to your console of choice.

That said, it costs pretty much the same as a newly-compatible fight stick and I've anecdotally heard about cases of input lag which sounds like a no-no for fighting games

It'll be just fine for SF5, though, because it'll just add only a little bit to 8f. :rotate:

• Options
    One of the new stages will feature Tiffany and Hinata from Rival Schools in the background: http://www.capcom-unity.com/haunts/blog/2016/06/27/sfv-balrog-to-be-included-with-ibuki-and-the-cinematic-story-mode-update

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

It'll be just fine for SF5, though, because it'll just add only a little bit to 8f. :rotate:

SF5 on XB1 has 0 frames. Not 0 frames of lag, but 0 frames period.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    back to learning juri han. i will miss the underboob, but i've been given an eye patch in return. this is acceptable.

i'm kind of hoping that this rumored kombat pack 3 thing for mkx is true and i get to have frost back in my life, but i'm not really holding my breath on that one.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »

SF5 on XB1 has 0 frames. Not 0 frames of lag, but 0 frames period.

way to ruin my stupid joke dude

(you're totally right though, I'm dumb and should level up that reading comprehension)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    "Golden Bullion"

That explains the traffic accident at the New York stage.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited June 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3kMCB43EGc

It's worth noting that the July update also means the end of the DLC grace period. The cash shop is open, so you will lose access to Guile and Alex until you buy them. (100k fight money each, and that goes for Ibuki and Boxer as well.)

The cash shop will also include all the premium cosmetic DLC they've been promising. You will be able to buy new stages and new costumes for fight money and real cash.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    awsimo wrote: »
    Hey, folks. I haven't played fighting games in a [very] long time, but I've been itching to get back into it. I have a Street Fighter IV FightStick Tournament Edition that I loved using on my Xbox 360 back in the day, and I'd like to continue using it on my Xbox One. (Not only because I like it, but also so that I won't have to drop $150+ for something comparable.)

I've seen some stuff around the intarwebs about the CronusMAX providing cross-platform controller support, but I'd like to hear some first-hand accounts before I take the plunge. Has anyone here used this peripheral, and does it work? Particularly in regards to fighsticks and/or 360-to-One conversion?

Thanks!

I've heard some people complain of lag on the Cronus, but I take that with a grain of salt. The real issue for me is it's banned at most events (even my locals here!) However, it sounds like the Brook Converters will be allowed at Evo, and I haven't heard of any locals banning it. I've used one for XBone, and it works just fine. I think it's a PS4-to-xbone, though.

I don't have personal experience with the Cronus, but I did have a similar situation with wanting to upgrade for a new platform. I ended up building a new controller with a Brooks Universal Fighting Board. It's pricier than the old PS360+ board, but being able to reuse the same controller on every platform made it the right investment for me.

It was fun and super easy (partly because @Paladin helped out and let me borrow the tools he had just bought to make another one :+1: ).

You can even just replace the board in your old stick. I don't remember what all connections are in the TE1, but it may be as simple as screwing down the old wires into the new PCB.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd recommend a Brook converter over the cronusmax if you just want a straight conversion, just bear in mind you've got to get the right model for your application. While there are other cool things a cronusmax might allow you to do like having multiple profiles stored on it or the ability to program macros, they're not going to give you much for fighting games other than a ban from competitive tournaments.

I do actually own a Cronusmax, and the 360->XB1, and 360->PS4 models of Brook converters. The brooks are pretty much plug-n-play idiot-proof while the Cronus comes with an expectation for plugging into a PC and fiddling around to get it all working perfectly, which is a pain if you're not playing right next to your computer.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Well, Capcom has officially made all the females show off their butt or boobs. Don't get me wrong, the stage looks pretty cool, but it's sad to see that Karin is fighting in a bikini.

It would be nice if they released some costumes that weren't revealing at all. Ya' know, some normal every day outfits or covered, fighting gear.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Don't worry, plenty of DLC on the way: http://i.imgur.com/qifuChI.jpg

EDIT: Anyone else getting the vibe that Karin could be gay? Many girls around her. I recall the SFV blog mentioning she's really fond of her kunoichis. ;)

EDIT2: Rubies on the sandals! Pirate outfit one day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlNpWYQunY

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Well, Capcom has officially made all the females show off their butt or boobs. Don't get me wrong, the stage looks pretty cool, but it's sad to see that Karin is fighting in a bikini.

It would be nice if they released some costumes that weren't revealing at all. Ya' know, some normal every day outfits or covered, fighting gear.

Yeah, I'd expect at least Karin to be fully decked out in LuLu, or an Under Armor/sideways snap-back wearing Guile

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    It would be rad to see:
    - tactical gear wearing Cammy
    - ballgown wearing Karin
    - actual police officer Chun-Li done
    - jeans, cute T-shirt, and headphones/baseball cap R. Mika

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4eXXCy-e8M

UNIEL getting a PC release. Continuing that great tradition started by arcsys, they're going straight to the penultimate version, because who would consider it anything more than the height of arrogant luxury to be up-to-date with a release that's more than a year old by now.

Probably still buy it anyway.

stream
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Rugby uniform would be nice for Mika.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    http://gematsu.com/2016/06/night-birth-exelate-pc-launches-july-12

Yaaaaaaaaaay! More people to fight against!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    13438948_822656524500683_9157780578432590571_n.jpg?oh=6acc3ba76b7d53599978d23d84d93e42&oe=58032B9C

Ono teasing Sagat? Or maybe Tekken's Kasumi?

EDIT: Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWJgzwNErP0

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    You can tell SNK is in it for real this time. King of Fighters is for South America (and Mexico) what Tekken is for South Korea, or what Soulcalibur is for France. Actually, China goes nuts for KOF as well, so it was an equally smart move to put the new hero in Team China this time around.

stream
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Who the fuck posed Juri like that? The human spine doesn't bend that way. Just had to pull a Rob Liefeld didn't you Capcom.

Possibly NSFW:
    tumblr_lzkwzjjvhd1roht6fo2_500.jpg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    summer outfit R. Mika is v cute, and in my mind, her cannonical outfit.

#CuteShirtAchieved

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Juri is pretty synonymous with excessive anime contortion but yeah that shit is pretty egregious

"We twisted this character model so that her butt is outlined perfectly in frame"

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifFCvUIPfYA&feature=youtu.be

working as intended so far.

and the hammock is confirmed.

SlOtV9e.jpg

stream
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Not sure what platform to streetfight.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    The ending of the story teases
    Gill. I guess he'll be one of the 2017 characters.

Also, in the voice credits he's listed as Gil, with just one L.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Page- wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifFCvUIPfYA&feature=youtu.be

working as intended so far.

and the hammock is confirmed.

*snipped for huge*

I came here to post that combo. This is what i have waited for. bronze god forever.

ALSO

its confirmed that when he does his CA- whatever clothes he has on get blasted off and he goes into thong mode for the rest of the round. :D

tyrant ass urien for the win

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
This discussion has been closed.