Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    In a post-Blazblue world, I can't take any story mode that Capcom will vomit out seriously.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I can't take any fighting game story mode seriously.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Well BlazBlue and Guilty Gear pushed fighting game stories out of characters telling each other "get out of my way."

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Story mode in FGs is just Hokuto no Ken + Fast and Furious most of the time. Authors use other tools to tell a story.

I was thinking of Juri and her surname, Han. Wikipedia on that:
    Han or Haan is a concept in Korean culture attributed as a unique Korean cultural trait which has resulted from Korea's frequent exposure to invasions by overwhelming foreign powers. Han denotes a collective feeling of oppression and isolation in the face of insurmountable odds (the overcoming of which is beyond the nation's capabilities on its own). It connotes aspects of lament and unavenged injustice.

Predictable anti-war commentary but it's there. Story modes are just feel-good tutorials. Very few people in game companies that make fighting games have the talent to write stories beyond Hokuto no Ken ripoffs.

Going by the wiki quote, Juri could go as "Juri Fury". :hydra:

Wish I went to art school.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    A little off-topic

When's Hakan? :P

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Well BlazBlue and Guilty Gear pushed fighting game stories out of characters telling each other "get out of my way."

While I'd call SF5's newly released story mode mediocre I'd say it fulfills that specific criteria.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The new beach stage should be next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WurTliOunio

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Peewi wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

While I'd call SF5's newly released story mode mediocre I'd say it fulfills that specific criteria.

Thank you for reminding me. I will say that SFV is pretty upbeat and happy whenever Shadoloo isn't around, with most of the characters enthusiastic about sparring.

Whenever Shadoloo is around its the same "get out of my way" and "damn he/she escaped" and "THIS WAS ALL PART OF MY VAGUE EVIL PLAN" from SFIV.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Confession: I love fighting game stories.

Obviously, the story is always going to be limited by the fact that the premise needs to be general enough to justify a large variety of characters becoming involved. A fighting tournament is the perfect excuse, but (by itself) isn't very interesting.

But that's fine, because fighting games are the perfect medium for a wonderful diverse cast of characters. By and large, they attempt to make up for any deficiency in plot by emphasizing back story, personality and character interaction. I know most will disagree, but I get a lot of enjoyment out of even a barebones story when the cast is great.

• Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/748928784359780352
    :|

why is that a :| thing?

Seems ridiculous to me. I don't get the decision.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    twitter.com/EvilMrWizard/status/748928784359780352
    :|

why is that a :| thing?

Seems ridiculous to me. I don't get the decision.

Because everyone would choose grid and it's the most visually boring stage out of them all.

It's like playing fighting games in a hospital room, they do it for spectators so there's some variety.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    juris new look is a+
    juri in sf5 artstyle is a+

well done brapcom

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Players, Japanese in particular, find that stage useful to measure the distance of their attacks.

I agree it's boring to look at. But given the complaints about framerate on the PS4, I don't think it's a great idea from the organizers.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Is Capcom no longer giving free trial periods of the new characters? It seems like I'll have enough fight money to buy Guile or Balrog, but not both. (Alex, Ibuki, Juri and Urien are already on my must-buy list.) Really would like the chance to practice Balrog combos before choosing between the two.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Is Capcom no longer giving free trial periods of the new characters? It seems like I'll have enough fight money to buy Guile or Balrog, but not both. (Alex, Ibuki, Juri and Urien are already on my must-buy list.) Really would like the chance to practice Balrog combos before choosing between the two.

There wasn't supposed to be a "trial" period to begin with, really. The only reason the characters were available for everyone for so long was because they couldn't get the now-defunct zenny shop up in all that time.

• Options
    1CoinClear1CoinClear Registered User regular
    I just looked at the rules for Street Fighter V for EVO where it says that "Legacy Mode" is banned from use. Is this because it circumvents the 8 frame input delay or is it because of instability and time constraints?
    http://evo.shoryuken.com/additional-rules/

How is it for other tournaments? I was happy that this feature existed in the game because I have become very accustomed to my own specific controller, but sad to see that you are not allowed to actually use it for competitive play :(

• Options
    legacy mode was banned way before everyone started whining about the delay.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Story mode spoilers?
    Man I either suck with Nash or that next to last fight seemed impossible. Took me like 10 tries.

I still think MK did the story mode better. Chapters flowed better while here...well the beginning was really rough. Also...Necalli was so pointless.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Page- wrote: »

Right, so it's not because of any advantage but rather it taking too long to set up, which would ultimately cause tournament delays?

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    1CoinClear wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »

Right, so it's not because of any advantage but rather it taking too long to set up, which would ultimately cause tournament delays?

Between that and the problem that the stick will suddenly die if the controller you are using to connect through isn't repeatedly used, yeah. It's a shame, but legacy support is just more trouble than it's worth for major tournaments.

• Options
    Between that and the problem that the stick will suddenly die if the controller you are using to connect through isn't repeatedly used, yeah. It's a shame, but legacy support is just more trouble than it's worth for major tournaments.

Ah, I see what you mean. Even though you can turn off "Sleep Mode" for PS4 controllers, there's still the risk that the battery will go empty and automatically switch off, or die cause of another malfunction.
    Why can't they update this feature in the future to it not being reliant on the PS4 controller? Why not just an option setting to turn on and off? Is it more complicated than I am hoping it to be?

Man, this feature was one of the greatest things about the game!

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Wow, the SF5 story mode is awful. Half the characters are lolrandomwacky like this is some sort of amateur level Japanese adaptation of Family Guy's lowest quality episode, and the other half are like overtly serious space aliens with only a passing understanding of how humans talk and behave.

Even by video game story standards this is absolute garbage.

The visual style and animation are the only positives.

reVerse on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Do you get any zenny or whatever the in game currency is called for completing it?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Yes, you get fight money.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Wow, the SF5 story mode is awful. Half the characters are lolrandomwacky like this is some sort of amateur level Japanese adaptation of Family Guy's lowest quality episode, and the other half are like overtly serious space aliens with only a passing understanding of how humans talk and behave.

Even by video game story standards this is absolute garbage.

The visual style and animation are the only positives.

It's the dumbest kind of anime bullshit. Played through two of the acts and I'm thinking, YOU ALL WERE REALLY BITCHING ABOUT THE LACK OF SINGLEPLAYER HUH.

I ain't even mad though because I want to see how stupid it gets. It's dumb/great.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Story mode spoilers?
    Man I either suck with Nash or that next to last fight seemed impossible. Took me like 10 tries.

I still think MK did the story mode better. Chapters flowed better while here...well the beginning was really rough. Also...Necalli was so pointless.

heh the first time I got bodied, the second time I spammed sonic booms from screen length and AA'd any jumpins.
    More plot spoilers:
    Necalli is the worst character ever so I'm glad he was so pointless. Also I like that rather than making you fight technically unwinnable fights like some games do to drive the plot, they circumvented it by simply making you fight as the fighter who must win the fight to drive the plot. Though that still made the good guys seem completely incompetent in the early fights where the AI is set to potato

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    RE: single player.

I still think a simple arcade mode is WAY better than the stupid survival mode. I dunno why but fighting the AI in SFV's Survival Mode is so frustrating when you compare it to Hard SSF4. And yes, I know you could spend every minute in Training mode while you wait but it isn't the same thing as just doing dumb shit in Arcade Mode.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    PC has a mod to make every survival 1 round

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    PC has a mod to make every survival 1 round

Oh I so need this. Seriously I should just mod my PC SF5 to hell and back.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    some people are worried capcops might punish those who do since you get massive amounts of fight money = free dlc

but tbh id be surprised if capcom can even notice stuff like that

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    the way I see it is even if they eventually decide to take away my ill-gotten one-round-survival gains, I want my stuff now and present-acidlacedpenguin does not give a fuck about future-acidlacedpenguin's potential woes.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Wow, the SF5 story mode is awful. Half the characters are lolrandomwacky like this is some sort of amateur level Japanese adaptation of Family Guy's lowest quality episode,
    tumblr_nad0jt1YRc1ty71ejo1_500.gif
    and the other half are like overtly serious space aliens with only a passing understanding of how humans talk and behave.
    latest?cb=20100830032357

Sounds like they nailed Street Fighter.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    atlus and snk are bringing kof 14 to EVO for a side tourney. should be fun.

stream
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Anyone want to sfv?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_caULDIbq4

how you gonna have Ramon in the game without Vanessa? cmon SNK!

stream
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

Where did that design come from? I would pay cash money for that shirt.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
This discussion has been closed.