As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RIP Prince, 1958-2016

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    If you get the chance, listen to Bambi and marvel how hard Prince rocked when he was around 20-21. It pisses me off that classic rock stations don't play this rocking jam.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Damn, man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Not a proper Prince song (because his stuff is impossible to find on YouTube) but this is a Janelle Monae track featuring Prince and it is Prince as fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X7ALvwN8Y

God damn this album is a fucking non-stop powerhouse

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Seems a shame the thread didn't get titled "Farewell sweet artist formally known as formally known as prince" or something.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    dearly beloved

we are gathered here today

to get through this thing called life

Electric word - "life", it means "forever", and that's a mighty long time, but I'm here to tell you there's something else:

The afterworld.

President Evil on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Better yet Chevy needs to put out a little red corvette called The Prince.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    One of the most interesting things about him, to me, was that he never cared if the music he was performing was his own

He played a goddamned then-current Foo Fighters song at the Super Bowl

From what I understand, the crazy thing was Prince was SUPER protective of his music. Thats why none of us can find much anywhere right now.

And I guess he heard the Foo Fighters were covering his songs in their shows, and was really pissed off about it. And Dave Ghrol said something along the lines of "Its because we love you! Sorry!"

Prince was still not pleased.

And him covering the Foo Fighters at the Super Bowl was a giant "fuck you, I'll cover you and sound better than you do at your own song, on a bigger stage."

And Dave Ghrol was totally fine with it, because it WAS better.

Dave is one guy who perpetually gets it...he is without a doubt in my mind the greatest rockstar going today.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    This year is the worst, jesus crapping h, guys

When I was four I snitched my dad's Prince albums and listened to them by myself and got in trouble

Not just once, many times

My dad and I always talked about how we would go see him live together one day

:sad:

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    dearly beloved

we are gathered here today

to get through this thing called life

Electric word - "life", it means "forever", and that's a mighty long time, but I'm here to tell you there's something else:

The afterworld.

God this is such a fucking badass intro to an album

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Now I regret not going to his Atlanta concert last week.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    this didn't hit me until i started listening to purple rain

i'm all fucked up over this, y'all

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    Prince is the reason I started recording and composing my own album on my computer. I wanted to make my own mediocre "Purple Rain." My first song is a blatant rip off of "Let's Go Crazy" that it's not even a joke.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Prince knew how to play guitar

https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I love just about everything he did, but I have a weird weak spot for the raunchy duo of Cream and Gett Off.

• Options
    BillyIdle wrote: »
    Prince is the reason I started recording and composing my own album on my computer. I wanted to make my own mediocre "Purple Rain." My first song is a blatant rip off of "Let's Go Crazy" that it's not even a joke.

I 100% believe that, as Prince-tinged as Batman '89 is, that Keaton smashing the vase and shouting "let's get nuts!" is a reference to "Let's Go Crazy"

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Carver County's Sherrif's office confirms it's him.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    At this rate, we'll need a fucking megathread.

• Options
    the very last song he ever performed was Purple Rain

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

This was his last, apparently

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

This was his last, apparently

Bootleg clip here:

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Haha its kinda ironic that Prince would be SO PISSED about that.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    i kinda wish prince's last performance lived only on via word of mouth

the sharing of prince stories is as much of who he is as the man himself

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Now I'm super mad I never got to see Les Claypool and Prince do a collab like all my friends and I used to dream about.

Goodnight, sweet Prince. The world is lesser.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/WvxUQS2846k

I remember watching this as a kid and I'm like 89% sure it impacted my comedic sense more than anything else I watched

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Geebs shouldn't have closed the bowie thread

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options

the twins are in milwaukee tonight but the ballpark will pay tribute

• Options

Prince deserves his own thread

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

No, it was super weird that it turned into the celebrity death thread

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »
    One of the most interesting things about him, to me, was that he never cared if the music he was performing was his own

From what I understand, the crazy thing was Prince was SUPER protective of his music. Thats why none of us can find much anywhere right now.

And I guess he heard the Foo Fighters were covering his songs in their shows, and was really pissed off about it. And Dave Ghrol said something along the lines of "Its because we love you! Sorry!"

And him covering the Foo Fighters at the Super Bowl was a giant "fuck you, I'll cover you and sound better than you do at your own song, on a bigger stage."

Dave is one guy who perpetually gets it...he is without a doubt in my mind the greatest rockstar going today.

SSSHHHHH SSSHHHHHHHHHHH

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

This has always been one of my favorites. The entire back half of the the song is him just laying it the fuck down.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Chip Zdarsky:
    A couple of years ago I got to see Prince in concert. He’d just finished—what? His fourth encore? Fifth? I lost track. It was crazy.

He left the stage again. Everyone kind of looked around, that thing where a crowd scans each other to see if we’re all in agreement that this is over, that there’ll be no more encores.

The house lights come on and people stand, put their jackets on, and prepare to shuffle outside, completely satisfied with this three hour concert. And then his voice comes out of the speakers, from backstage, booming.

“Where’re you going? Don’t you know I wrote ALL the hits?”

I thought I was going to die laughing. And then he came out again for one more song. Just one more.

He did this at the concert I when to in 2011. He played all this hits, the ones I remembered, then he when down through the stage let his friends do some songs then came out and did the 20Ten album. THE WHOLE THING. Then he started doing random songs from his other albums. The concert was suppose to go for 3 hours ended up lasting well into the night. I got home as the sun was coming up, still hyped as fuck about it. I've gone to Metal concerts that didn't have that much energy. He brought a woman on staged, danced with her and she fainted as she left the stage two songs later. It was wild. Again, best $200 I have ever spend, and I was in the nosebleeds.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Diarmuid wrote: »

The way he throws that guitar up and we never see it come down.

He just committed those six-strings to the heavens.

"Yeah, this'll do" he probably thought.

Dude probably caught that thing and ripped out a solo the second he got up there.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    At this rate, I wonder if decades from now 2016 will be held with reaper-like superstition akin to Friday the 13th.
    Beware, beware, artist-in-your-twilight, lest you be sixteen'd.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    man

fuck it

music is cancelled, no more music forever

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Hawkstone wrote: »

SSSHHHHH SSSHHHHHHHHHHH

He broke his leg and rocked on while being worked on! Had a throne made for him to continue to tour. Dave Ghrol is immortal. When we are all dead and gone, He'll be rocking on for the cockroaches that have replaced us.