Options

Animation [Chat]

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Eating tons of chicken thighs and pork makes it hard to go over 2k calories in my experience. Protein and fat are so filling. I ate a half lb of salmon and a potato with tons of butter and salt for dinner. Oof.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Fucking slow ass luggage crew. I just want to go home and the carousel still isn't moving. I've been off the plane 20 minutes now.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    @Jakobkosh I wanted to thank you (was it you?) for recommending persons of interest

I finally watched all the episodes and the ending sequence was kind of cheesy but since I was fully hooked on the ride it absolutely got me

override367 on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    According to MFP, I'm below 2000 calories for the day (goal is 3300 or so). I should probably just slam down a PB & J so I don't go into shock in the morning and feel sick.

Don't eat if you're not hungry.... =\ not sure if serious........

Drink water.

3,300 calories would make me put on weight doing very heavy weight lifting per day also...

But good work being below your goal!

I was a little hungry and light headed. I've been drinking a TON of water.

How much is a ton? You can drink too much water. Did you talk this out with your doctor?

However it takes a lot. I often drink 2-4 liters per day of just straight water in addition to what I get from my food.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Eating tons of chicken thighs and pork makes it hard to go over 2k calories in my experience. Protein and fat are so filling. I ate a half lb of salmon and a potato with tons of butter and salt for dinner. Oof.

Yeah.. I'm still not cutting grains out of my diet, so lots of calories.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    PMndcgn.jpg?1

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    @Jakobkosh I wanted to thank you (was it you?) for recommending persons of interest

I finally watched all the episodes and the ending sequence was kind of cheesy but since I was fully hooked on the ride it absolutely got me

I knoooow

Thanks Jake!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Also eating before sleep is what sumo wrestlers do for a reason. :)

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

To get swole? Because sumo wrestlers are swole as fuck

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Elldren wrote: »
    Jakobkosh I wanted to thank you (was it you?) for recommending persons of interest

I knoooow

Thanks Jake!

At the end (of season 4) when the machine
    was apologizing to Harold for failing him I was like

"noooooooooooo you were a good machine Harold you piece of shit tell your AI that she's done a good job"

override367 on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
  • Options
    0vTwGCL.jpg

*sweats*

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

To get swole? Because sumo wrestlers are swole as fuck

I drink muscle milk before bed now because I am going to swole ville, yes.

But he needs to lose weight.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i love cats

• Options
    Muuuuuscles. Damn, that is a beautiful fat muscle baby.

• Options
    Cass if we texted it would just be photos of our cats all day every day we'd never function

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    0vTwGCL.jpg

*sweats*

repeatedly hits punch button

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    i am now officially posting from my hip bachelor pad.

groovy, baby.
    4NDakpl.png?2
    DN4v3Xz.png?2
    znPphqS.png?2
    w1KhYRe.png?2
    koJw8bF.png?2

Wait I remember this game what the fuck was it

• Options
    game of throooones

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Muuuuuscles. Damn, that is a beautiful fat muscle baby.

in my headcanon, otlc is responding to cass's post

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Elldren wrote: »
    Jakobkosh I wanted to thank you (was it you?) for recommending persons of interest

I knoooow

Thanks Jake!

At the end (of season 4) when the machine
    was apologizing to Harold for failing him I was like

"noooooooooooo you were a good machine Harold you piece of shit tell your AI that she's done a good job"

that part really got me

and watching John go beast mode on fascists with some absurd A-Team arsenal will never ever get old

I can't wait for season 5. My only hope is that they'll be able to wrap everything up in 13 episodes.

• Options
    m7p8EOH.jpg
    w0whQ2v.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2016
    the PoI crew deserves props for not overplaying the machine card
    the machine not talking directly to harold, something it probably hasn't done because it didn't want to upset him (since not talking to him was apparently one of its directives), until the very end where it would carry the most emotional weight was brilliant

I'm just curious how they're going to write themselves out of this corner, Samaritan is so powerful now. I'm guessing it will have to do with the trojan harold incorporated with it

override367 on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Feral wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    ok so I have not read nor seen any of GoT ever (if it is ever finished I might), but if it turns out that - in the end - something like the following happens I will get my frown on so hard:

spoiled for wild guess based on no info whatsoever
    suppose there is a character who is particularly cunning and an excellent commander but also an amoral bastard (maybe not outright "evil") who is for a time thwarted from victory by coalition(s) of other characters (especially ones seen as more "good"). And in the end, after he is dead, one of his children or grandchildren is overthrown in a coup by his longtime adviser and strategist and it is the child or grandchild of that adviser who eventually complete the conquest and re-unify the kingdoms.

@RiemannLives

Nothing in GoT is quite that on-the-nose. All of the characters who meet those archetypes are dead, castrated, or stripped of their lands and titles for whatever reasons. GRRM also really likes to subvert fan expectations. Setting up a character to be a fan favorite and then having that character meet some ignoble fate is his MO.

That's kind of why I don't like GoT.

I want my Batman / Superman / Whomever that rises to the occasion at the end and beats evil.

It's not realistic and sometimes I might complain about the rote nature of it, but I still prefer that over what amounts to 'Real life sucks. Ha ha ha. Watch these characters all get shit on just like real life'.

Not judging people who do want that etc etc; just not my bag.

Hmmm. Bad-ass characters who rise to the occasion and beat evil are very much present in GoT. There are plenty of opportunities to (metaphorically) clap your hands and raise your fists and say "fuck yeah! kick some ass!" It's not all gloom and doom and eat at Arby's.

But, to corroborate what you're saying, those characters are still mortal. They make mistakes, they die. Sometimes they die a valiant death in the heat of battle. Sometimes they die because they were stabbed in the back.

Yeah, it's a dark setting, but it's not nearly as grimdark as people tend to portray it as, either.

Like for the infamous Red Wedding
    OK, so Robb and Catelyn die, largely because Robb made a series of political mistakes that ended up coming home to roost. And he's murdered in horrible fashion.

BUT, on the other hand, the books go out of their way to show the many ways in which he is dead but by no means forgotten. Every northern family now talks about The Young Wolf with an air of religious reverence, he's become the sort of identity-forming figure that Northerners will still be celebrating as too good for this cruel world in 100 years, and using to explain to their kids why southerners can't be trusted. And while the Starks are now out of power, there's tremendous loyalty towards the family, pretty much as soon as anyone with the name Stark shows up the usurpers are fucked. And meanwhile the family that betrayed Robb isn't just hated by the north, even Robb's enemies from the war will insult them to their face.

There's a lot of things like that. Just being good and nice doesn't mean characters will win, but being good and nice DOES matter.

Tho I do think the show takes the misery a bit far sometimes, or at least lacks the corresponding good humor and noble ideals that can balance things out in the books. Their treatment of the Boltons being the most obvious example.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    kedinik wrote: »
    I'm having an uncommonly good Sunday.

Cleaned apartment, threw out garbage, washed dishes, laundered clothes, bought cheap groceries, jogged a few miles. Now watching Netflix and cooking food for the week.

I think this is Organichu's fault. Him and his dumb post about getting out of bed in the morning and having a good day.

Editing the at sign out doesn't untag me, playboy

I am gladdened by this

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just re-watched Kiwi! on the first page of the chat.

God, that's such a sad, uplifting, but very sad story.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Kana wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    ok so I have not read nor seen any of GoT ever (if it is ever finished I might), but if it turns out that - in the end - something like the following happens I will get my frown on so hard:

spoiled for wild guess based on no info whatsoever
    suppose there is a character who is particularly cunning and an excellent commander but also an amoral bastard (maybe not outright "evil") who is for a time thwarted from victory by coalition(s) of other characters (especially ones seen as more "good"). And in the end, after he is dead, one of his children or grandchildren is overthrown in a coup by his longtime adviser and strategist and it is the child or grandchild of that adviser who eventually complete the conquest and re-unify the kingdoms.

@RiemannLives

Nothing in GoT is quite that on-the-nose. All of the characters who meet those archetypes are dead, castrated, or stripped of their lands and titles for whatever reasons. GRRM also really likes to subvert fan expectations. Setting up a character to be a fan favorite and then having that character meet some ignoble fate is his MO.

That's kind of why I don't like GoT.

I want my Batman / Superman / Whomever that rises to the occasion at the end and beats evil.

It's not realistic and sometimes I might complain about the rote nature of it, but I still prefer that over what amounts to 'Real life sucks. Ha ha ha. Watch these characters all get shit on just like real life'.

Not judging people who do want that etc etc; just not my bag.

Hmmm. Bad-ass characters who rise to the occasion and beat evil are very much present in GoT. There are plenty of opportunities to (metaphorically) clap your hands and raise your fists and say "fuck yeah! kick some ass!" It's not all gloom and doom and eat at Arby's.

But, to corroborate what you're saying, those characters are still mortal. They make mistakes, they die. Sometimes they die a valiant death in the heat of battle. Sometimes they die because they were stabbed in the back.

Yeah, it's a dark setting, but it's not nearly as grimdark as people tend to portray it as, either.

Like for the infamous Red Wedding
    OK, so Robb and Catelyn die, largely because Robb made a series of political mistakes that ended up coming home to roost. And he's murdered in horrible fashion.

BUT, on the other hand, the books go out of their way to show the many ways in which he is dead but by no means forgotten. Every northern family now talks about The Young Wolf with an air of religious reverence, he's become the sort of identity-forming figure that Northerners will still be celebrating as too good for this cruel world in 100 years, and using to explain to their kids why southerners can't be trusted. And while the Starks are now out of power, there's tremendous loyalty towards the family, pretty much as soon as anyone with the name Stark shows up the usurpers are fucked. And meanwhile the family that betrayed Robb isn't just hated by the north, even Robb's enemies from the war will insult them to their face.

There's a lot of things like that. Just being good and nice doesn't mean characters will win, but being good and nice DOES matter.

Tho I do think the show takes the misery a bit far sometimes, or at least lacks the corresponding good humor and noble ideals that can balance things out in the books. Their treatment of the Boltons being the most obvious example.

the show is not nearly doing enough to set up
    how absolutely monumentally fucked the boltons are

in the books its clear, it doesn't matter if it's a month, a year, 5 years, or a generation, the Boltons are fucked

Roose is telling us how precarious their situation is, but without the scenes in White Harbor it hasn't shown us

override367 on
  • Options
    I think there's going to be some beautiful narrative consumption theory applications on GoT/ASoIaF written in the future, and maybe I'll be trying to stick my fingers in that pie (if I ever finish the PhD...)

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    I'm having an uncommonly good Sunday.

Cleaned apartment, threw out garbage, washed dishes, laundered clothes, bought cheap groceries, jogged a few miles. Now watching Netflix and cooking food for the week.

I think this is Organichu's fault. Him and his dumb post about getting out of bed in the morning and having a good day.

Editing the at sign out doesn't untag me, playboy

I am gladdened by this

Yeah, I know.

But see.

I put quotes around your name so the @ would still work if I added 's to it.

Except the parentheses in @Organichu's triggered that ongoing @ glitch.

And so I erased my disgusting handiwork, knowing the notification had already been sent.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    i am now officially posting from my hip bachelor pad.

groovy, baby.
    4NDakpl.png?2
    DN4v3Xz.png?2
    znPphqS.png?2
    w1KhYRe.png?2
    koJw8bF.png?2

Wait I remember this game what the fuck was it

Wait is this that HyperCard game

Manhole or something like that?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    the machine not talking directly to harold, something it probably hasn't done because it didn't want to upset him (since not talking to him was apparently one of its directives), until the very end where it would carry the most emotional weight was brilliant

I'm just curious how they're going to write themselves out of this corner, Samaritan is so powerful now. I'm guessing it will have to do with the trojan harold incorporated with it

I predict, based on not really anything,
    some kind of ultimate fusion of the Machine and Samaritan at the end. A new god, but one that rules with a gentle, invisible hand rather than cruelty and brute force.

• Options
    PMndcgn.jpg?1

A phone conversation I just had.
    me: I'm sending you a penny arcade link. It's a photo of a really good ass.
    wife: A really good ass, huh. I'll be the judge of that. Telling me what a really good ass is...
    wife: SON OF A BITCH.
    wife: ARE YOU SERIOUS.
    me: *dying of laughter*

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Ugh sinuses are the worst

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    What I am saying is that I am an adult.

• Options
    send her the sumo photo as an apology

• Options
    thaaaaank you
    this more loike it

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I predict, based on not really anything,
    some kind of ultimate fusion of the Machine and Samaritan at the end. A new god, but one that rules with a gentle, invisible hand rather than cruelty and brute force.

I'd love to end with
    a fusion like you said, but basically straight out of Deus Ex

a machine that reveals itself to mankind and offers itself as a protector and shepard should we want it (and airing the dirty laundry of our leaders in the process)

but I honestly predict that in the end the machine and Samaritan will both be gone

override367 on
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    oh I forgot to post the other Australian war ballad classic, And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr3OI

It's a sad song! I recommend listening to it on this day, if no other!

simonwolf on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    hm i dunno if the surgery fixed my shoulder problem

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    @credeiki @cptrugged @anyone else that is into nerdy rpg stories.
    So, just wrapped up a short Vampire game. The pc's: Brujah, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere. They are hired by the Seneschal on behalf of the Prince to buy a thing at an auction. That simple. The Nos breaks into the auction house to steal it first. Does so, but stumbles on an Assamite doing the same thing. Nos fights the babby Assamite off and makes off with the prize. They go back to their base, and crack open the package, an ancient ass wooden box containing a super old barely preserved scroll. The Seneschal calls in the Toreador, and says that he wants the piece in two days. So they try to read the scroll and no dice. The Assamite finds them and takes the group of them to go meet her boss, a super old Assamite sorcerer (who was an old PC from a thematically linked Dark Ages game I ran once). Old Assamite is like "hey, lots of people are going to want this thing you best get rid of it. I'll take it off your hands for you." He seems genuinely kind of decent, and they're thinking about it. On their way back they are blindsided by a van full of Sabbat. The Brujah and Toreador are captured, Nos and Tremere get away. The Sabbat pack takes them to Old Tzimisce Koldunic Sorcerer who is super creepy, and monstrously hospitable (he offers them food, which is some poor mortal all tortured and terrified). He's like "hey, I want your thing, call your bros and get them to bring me the thing." So now the PCs are thinking everyone sucks but that the Assamite is the most decent and they are going to give him the text. So they tell the Camarilla powers that be that the Sabbat has the text, and that a rescue mission is warranted. They tell the Tzimisce that they will totally bring it to him. They go to the Assamite and they are like "we're going to play a game of lets you and him fight. If you make it there and can steal the scroll, it's yours." They get the fight started at the Tzimisce's mansion, and manage to survive the initial assault, and in the chaos they get away and give the Assamite the text. Upon which the Assamite drops Mask of 1k Faces and it's a Follower of Set who laughs maniacally and then disappears. Firs thing my players say after is "man, we got played." I was like "welcome to the world of vampire." Get busy playing or get played.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
This discussion has been closed.