As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]: The portal's always greener on the fel side.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Beta opens on Thursday (unless something engulfs the servers in hellfire), supposedly sending out a massive wave of invites.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I would care more about that staff if there were some sort of casting animations involving it and something like having the eyes pulse.

I know that's no easy feat; but in general I feel that casters should interact more with their staves while casting. Like, plant that shit in the ground and make it shoot a beam of energy into the caster's hands to imply amplifying the spells, or some shit.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    one of the biggest disappointment about casting is that blizz considers new spell effects to be equivalent to new animations

so you see something like all the hot new melee animations in Legion, and know that you're getting nothing, because blizz considers you to have gotten new animations every expansion

meanwhile the casting pose is the same it's been for ten years

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Kind of disappointed they didnt talk about pvp at all in the interview. Mythic+ dungeons sound pretty cool, and while I personally like the concept of the "skittish" affix, it is going to play out like hot garbage with how the wow community currently does content. Hopefully the loot from doing high tier greater rifts (because lets be honest thats what they are) is actually competitive. I'll do 5 man content all day long if the experience changes every week.

Really torn about what I want to play in Legion now though. I've taken a real liking to my DK lately, and think unholy looks really cool in Legion. But if small group content is actually getting some love, tanks and healers are going to be in really high demand. Maybe less so with tanks due to demon hunters, but if I want to play Unholy it will be more difficult to do the group stuff as often as I'd like. This thinking makes me want to play my druid or monk as a healer, but I get frustrated doing content with people who just cant get their act together and end up wanting to just be the dps myself. Kind of hating how the artifacts hold back alts and multispec without a huge time investment.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I read some of that MMO-Champion content and I think this expansion has great potential.

I'm torn because part of me wants to be in the beta test and the other part of me wants to complete content when Legion launches.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    one of the biggest disappointment about casting is that blizz considers new spell effects to be equivalent to new animations

so you see something like all the hot new melee animations in Legion, and know that you're getting nothing, because blizz considers you to have gotten new animations every expansion

meanwhile the casting pose is the same it's been for ten years

Yes!

It took all of one expansion to get Monk fist weapons showing up during punching animations.

ees7jtd.jpg

It's been almost TWELVE YEARS and they cant get casters using their MH weapons to cast?

GET ON THIS YESTERDAY BLIZZARD

Skwigelf on
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Axe looks like a green drop. The sword and shield are fairly nice. Not a fan of sticks covered in skulls. Don't plan on logging in tho, so I don't need to worry about it!

Oh yeah on the Horde side you are right. As an Alliance player, I really wish they did a better job on the Horde items.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    The models look good, but just like with the horde stuff, does it have to be human based? I realize the movie is humans vs orc but its been done to death.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Some of the interesting things they said in the interview
    At Blizzcon, the team said that beta would start in a couple of weeks, but then they realized that players expect beta to be a polished demo. The current state of Legion then was more like an old-school WoW beta, with 2/3rd of specs unplayable and lots of content and features that weren't implemented. It didn't feel right calling that a beta, so the team called it an alpha and still invited a decent number of people.
    The game shouldn't feel like a daily chore. The Emissary system lets you stack up three days of quests so that you don't fall behind if you miss a day.
    In Legion, all of the World Quests have a little bit of lore and story that go with them, giving you some context as to why you are there and why you are doing what you are doing.
    There isn't a need to rush players through leveling anymore. If you are leveling from 1 to 100 it should be a satisfying and well paced experience.
    The goal isn't to go back to 13 days played or hundreds of hours of leveling, but you shouldn't be outleveling zones before you finish their story. You shouldn't go and do one dungeon and find that the zone you were leveling in before is no longer relevant to you at all.

I really like this stuff.
    The team wants to keep the barrier to entry for new and returning players that want to play with their friends reasonably low. This led to them making leveling through previous expansions faster and faster so that you could catch up to friends quickly.
    Today the barrier to entry is solved by the Character Boost system. If someone buys the latest expansion, they can boost past all of the older expansions and finish leveling.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Some of the interesting things they said in the interview
    At Blizzcon, the team said that beta would start in a couple of weeks, but then they realized that players expect beta to be a polished demo. The current state of Legion then was more like an old-school WoW beta, with 2/3rd of specs unplayable and lots of content and features that weren't implemented. It didn't feel right calling that a beta, so the team called it an alpha and still invited a decent number of people.
    The game shouldn't feel like a daily chore. The Emissary system lets you stack up three days of quests so that you don't fall behind if you miss a day.
    In Legion, all of the World Quests have a little bit of lore and story that go with them, giving you some context as to why you are there and why you are doing what you are doing.
    There isn't a need to rush players through leveling anymore. If you are leveling from 1 to 100 it should be a satisfying and well paced experience.
    The goal isn't to go back to 13 days played or hundreds of hours of leveling, but you shouldn't be outleveling zones before you finish their story. You shouldn't go and do one dungeon and find that the zone you were leveling in before is no longer relevant to you at all.

I really like this stuff.
    The team wants to keep the barrier to entry for new and returning players that want to play with their friends reasonably low. This led to them making leveling through previous expansions faster and faster so that you could catch up to friends quickly.
    Today the barrier to entry is solved by the Character Boost system. If someone buys the latest expansion, they can boost past all of the older expansions and finish leveling.

That's really heartening news.

• Options
    I like that the emissaries can stack. Makes it so you dont have to log on every character every day and do dailies. Instead you can rotate through a few characters over a few days.

I also liked that they understood that slowing down leveling only to do the same thing at max level (pristine servers) was not a good idea.

Its funny that they say the barrier to entry for new people is too high, but they keep adding more levels. Really, there are no new spells and abilities being gained up to 110, they come from the artifact. It would make just as much sense to just keep increasing item level and make the "leveling" experience be getting a new set of gear, get the artifact and order halls going, and quest lines that unlock certain dungeons or something. They would still gate some of the content just by the time it would take to complete all of those things. The difference would be that you wouldnt be adding on even more levels. Then the "new tech" for scaling zones wouldnt even really be needed, because you would already be an appropriate level.

The "its above my paygrade" comment on legacy servers was funny too. But to some extent it probably is.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    The models look good, but just like with the horde stuff, does it have to be human based? I realize the movie is humans vs orc but its been done to death.

Well, it is a promotional thing for the movie.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    @Enigmedic Oh yeah it's way above his pay grade. There's a lot of legal landmines you gotta deal with and a dev has no business speaking about that unless they've been given the go ahead.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Even to give his own personal opinion would be way, way crossing the line.

• Options
    I've seen a bunch of people talking about Yogg+0 in the past week, around trade chat and Reddit. (I know, I know.)

The conversations were mostly around Stars coming out of nowhere to snatch the world first kill. I always admired them for that, but it seems that the consensus community opinion is that they exploited something?

Is that what the majority of people believe, or something?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Sounds a lot like "My favorite team(pro raid group) didn't get it so they cheated!"

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    It sounds like people are getting it confused.

The first kill of Yogg+0 was indeed exploited, but it was Exodus who did it.

I can't find anything suggesting Stars exploited the fight.

• Options
    Yeah, exactly. Exodus found some way to bug the adds.

Stars just brought along five affliction warlocks, who were the only class who didn't have to face the boss to do full DPS.

• Options
    Did i miss something? Why are people arguing about a boss from a few expansions ago?

• Options
    Did i miss something? Why are people arguing about a boss from a few expansions ago?

The conversation I was in started because people brought up that WatcherDev (Ion Hazzikostas) was the guy who originally calculated that C'Thun was unkillable. Then some other people brought up that Exodus had calculated Yogg+0 to be unkillable too, and Stars proved them wrong. Then a bunch of others chimed in with various racist remarks suggesting exploiting and cheating.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really the only character I am going to take to the beta is my rogue
    But then seeing what rogues are like in legion makes me want to bench them and never play them again. Outlaw doesn't look fun and the rumor Subtlety getting stealth sucks as that's the fun of playing a rogue stealth in stealth out

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Oh, damn, I completely missed that I had Legion Alpha access. Never got a e-mail or anything about it. Just happened to glance at the region select in the b.net launcher, and it was there.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The movie sword and shield look really nice, but damn those Horde weapons are just pure garbage. Also not even some special animations for the lot?

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular

The conversation I was in started because people brought up that WatcherDev (Ion Hazzikostas) was the guy who originally calculated that C'Thun was unkillable. Then some other people brought up that Exodus had calculated Yogg+0 to be unkillable too, and Stars proved them wrong. Then a bunch of others chimed in with various racist remarks suggesting exploiting and cheating.

They found it was unkillable if they had to stop damage for x seconds to avoid going insane, I just don't think they were aware that Warlocks could do as much as they could while looking away from the boss and Stars did. Class stacking is a little shifty at the best of times (remember the world first Spine kill had like 6 Arcane Mages?) but it's not cheating. It's just dumb.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Madican wrote: »
    The movie sword and shield look really nice, but damn those Horde weapons are just pure garbage.

So a perfect representation of the Horde.

*ducks*

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »

They found it was unkillable if they had to stop damage for x seconds to avoid going insane, I just don't think they were aware that Warlocks could do as much as they could while looking away from the boss and Stars did. Class stacking is a little shifty at the best of times (remember the world first Spine kill had like 6 Arcane Mages?) but it's not cheating. It's just dumb.

I don't really see how class stacking is shifty. Stacking multiples of the same class is not really any different to always bringing a holy paladin and disc priest in WoD, for example.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    People don't like class stacking (including those healers being top of the heap) for the same reason they don't like rich people using their money and influence to get ahead. Most groups/guilds have to make do with the people it has and the classes they want to play so they don't have the luxury of having 20% of their raid reroll a class to get past a hard boss.

Opty on
  • Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    Stars definitely deserve major credit for sticking it out on a boss that most top guilds gave up on.

Using 5 warlocks barely counts as class stacking IMO.
    Remember when Paragon used 11 feral druids on their world first Nefarian heroic kill?
    Now that was class stacking!

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    People don't like class stacking (including those healers being top of the heap) for the same reason they don't like rich people using their money and influence to get ahead. Most groups/guilds have to make do with the people it has and the classes they want to play so they don't have the luxury of having 20% of their raid reroll a class to get past a hard boss.

all the top guilds do it, it's not like Stars is unique in that.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I bet the people claiming Stars were cheating were just remembering things.

This is from a long time ago, and it's pretty easy to reduce "Exodus used an exploit for the first C'Thun kill; Stars nabbed the official legit world first by stacking warlocks" to "The first C'Thun kill used an exploit" and "Stars had the first kill".

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh, damn, I completely missed that I had Legion Alpha access. Never got a e-mail or anything about it. Just happened to glance at the region select in the b.net launcher, and it was there.

It's probably for the beta. I checked this morning (like I do every morning) and it appeared for me as well. SInce they're actually scheduled to take the alpha DOWN today, I assume they've already started sending out beta invites

Javen on
  • Options
    Class stacking, while not against any rule or guideline, doesn't really make for compelling strategy, and I'm glad Blizzard noticed and did something about it.

The execution may have had some unintended side-effects, but "bring the player, not the class" is definitely a worthwhile ethos.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Class stacking, while not against any rule or guideline, doesn't really make for compelling strategy, and I'm glad Blizzard noticed and did something about it.

The execution may have had some unintended side-effects, but "bring the player, not the class" is definitely a worthwhile ethos.

they didn't really do it, though.

They certainly reduced the benefit of class stacking, but they can never eliminate it, and as long as it's still there as some small benefit, the top guilds will do it.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

they didn't really do it, though.

They certainly reduced the benefit of class stacking, but they can never eliminate it, and as long as it's still there as some small benefit, the top guilds will do it.

I don't think their goal was to ever remove the benefit, just like their goal isn't really to have every single class be equally effective at everything. It's not really done to any meaningful degree anymore though. There are outliers, like stacking moonkin on Mythic Blackhand because of that flapping glyph of all things, but for the most part world first rosters are pretty balanced.

• Options
    That flap thing was hilarious though, let's be real. If anything deserved class stacking it's so that you can have giant chickens fly down to a ledge.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2016
    PMAvers wrote: »

Nice, same here, supposedly a number of new invites just went out last night so check your launchers. Apparently they've just been flagging accounts for access rather than emailing folks, likely to avoid issues with phishing emails and such.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    That flap thing was hilarious though, let's be real. If anything deserved class stacking it's so that you can have giant chickens fly down to a ledge.

Oh yeah, I'm not bashing it. In my eyes, class stacking should actually be fine as long as the encounter is still doable without it, because there will be some flex groups out there where 8 people just REALLY love being Shaman, and that should be okay.

But in the first few years of raid encounters, there were legit times where something was bordering on impossible without X number of Shaman cycling Bloodlust, or Paladins spamming Divine Wrath. That's not really true anymore.

• Options
    Yeah looks like I got a beta invite too. Looking forward to testing out how some of the specs work.

• Options
    screw you jerks i wanna test out paladongs

This discussion has been closed.