As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    I know why they did it, but I've been using backspace to go back for like twenty years. It stings a bit.

Why did they do it?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I know why they did it, but I've been using backspace to go back for like twenty years. It stings a bit.

Why did they do it?

No amount of slightly easier returns to earlier pages are worth the cost of accidentally wiping out an entire web form or the state of a web application just because you misclicked slightly.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    My surface pro 1 was fine till I got a Pro 4, that's still going strong for me today. Battery life was actually clocking in better today than when I first bought it.

My battery life is appalling, and I only recently realised it's because I'm running Chrome

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    My OG SP1 has served me nicely, but I think my touch cover is dying.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Could anyone help me with a sound device issue I'm having with windows 8?

Basically, I get no sound to my headphones when I plug them in. I've looked at the sound device manager, and it says the device (Dell AC411 stereo, if that helps) is Disconnected. Right clicking and hitting "connect" changes nothing. I've tried using the troubleshooter, but all if says is that the headphones aren't plugged in. Which they are; the computer even still gives me the (you plugged a device into the audio jack) message. attempting to update the drivers for the device tells me that the drivers are up to date, but refers to the device as "Bluetooth stereo". And only in that "your drivers are up to date" message. This started happening after I turned the computer off and on again. I've looked online for similar problems, but I've yet to find anything that works or is exactly the same sort of problem. Does anyone here know what else I can try?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    Could anyone help me with a sound device issue I'm having with windows 8?

Basically, I get no sound to my headphones when I plug them in. I've looked at the sound device manager, and it says the device (Dell AC411 stereo, if that helps) is Disconnected. Right clicking and hitting "connect" changes nothing. I've tried using the troubleshooter, but all if says is that the headphones aren't plugged in. Which they are; the computer even still gives me the (you plugged a device into the audio jack) message. attempting to update the drivers for the device tells me that the drivers are up to date, but refers to the device as "Bluetooth stereo". And only in that "your drivers are up to date" message. This started happening after I turned the computer off and on again. I've looked online for similar problems, but I've yet to find anything that works or is exactly the same sort of problem. Does anyone here know what else I can try?

Is there another jack on the computer you can plug them into? Also in sound device manager, is there only the one item in there? My sound device thing tells me I have 7 items, 6 of them being "Digital Display Audio" which I think has something to do with monitor-based speakers since one of them lists the actual model of my primary monitor.
    :edit: If you rightclick in the box listing your things, is there an option to show disabled/disconnected items? Just found that option and discovered two disabled devices, a Realtek Digital Output and a Realtek Digital Output(Optical)
    :more edit: and if you go to the properties on your Dell AC411 stereo, the general tab should list what jacks that device corresponds to, does that line up with the jacks you're plugging into?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Barring any of that working, you may want to try grabbing a cheap USB "soundcard" and see if you can at least get sound output, period.

• Options
    Oh, I can get sound output. The speakers still work. Might try plugging my headphones into the jack the speakers are in.

• Options
    Alright. Still have the Headphones jack marked as Disconnected, but I can get sound again, by plugging the headphones into the jack used by the speaker. This will do for now, until I can figure out what's up with the headphone jack.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Can someone else help me by running a quick test?

If you have a ZIP file opened through the default means (Windows File Explorer, rather than 7zip, Winrar, etc.), do you get some weird stuttering when you try and select multiple files inside the archive via selection box? I don't remember this being an issue until lately, but it seems to be a thing now (opening the files in Winrar or 7zip doesn't seem to replicate the problem). I think it might have something to do with Windows indexing the compressed contents, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone test this and find out if they're running into the same issue now?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

If you have a ZIP file opened through the default means (Windows File Explorer, rather than 7zip, Winrar, etc.), do you get some weird stuttering when you try and select multiple files inside the archive via selection box? I don't remember this being an issue until lately, but it seems to be a thing now (opening the files in Winrar or 7zip doesn't seem to replicate the problem). I think it might have something to do with Windows indexing the compressed contents, but I'm not sure.

I do this regularly and haven't really noticed this.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    wunderbar wrote: »

I do this regularly and haven't really noticed this.

So you're not getting it on your end? I feel like this is a recently development (maybe around the time of the anniversary patch?).

EDIT: Figured it out purely by chance--cleared my Windows Explorer quick access history and that did it. Guess it had gotten too full?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular

Selecting via click-and-dragging over the files? Nope, nothing weird on my end.

But my indexing has been completely unreliable since the anniversary update (that I got early this week; literally took over an hour to install). Sometimes it works, while other times it is unable to find anything I have it search for, even when I can manually find the files just fine. So if your problem is an indexing thing, then my experience doesn't mean much.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Dizzen wrote: »

Selecting via click-and-dragging over the files? Nope, nothing weird on my end.

But my indexing has been completely unreliable since the anniversary update (that I got early this week; literally took over an hour to install). Sometimes it works, while other times it is unable to find anything I have it search for, even when I can manually find the files just fine. So if your problem is an indexing thing, then my experience doesn't mean much.

No, it was the Quick Access functionality. Apparently this is known to cause slowdown in file explorer since a year ago if not earlier, so it's not related to this particular update.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The Anniversary Update finally pumped through to my laptop the other day, and after it installed I got the standard "This program was removed because it was not compatible with Windows" etc for Classic Start.

No biggie, I download the updated version of Classic Start and reinstall.

But now I keep getting the notification every time I boot. It's not uninstalling, nothing is changing on my system, I just keep getting the notification. I can clear them form the action center without issue so it's a minor annoyance, but it's still kinda weird.

• Options
    Is it possible Classic Start hasn't updated for that yet? I use Start10 (which is not free, but cheap), and interestingly the Anniversary Update did not break compatibility with it (I think there was an update a few weeks earlier).

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I'm using Start10 as well, and no issues. Not strictly necessary at this point, compared to Start8, but adds a few custom Start and Task options worth the $5.

• Options
    The Anniversary Update finally pumped through to my laptop the other day, and after it installed I got the standard "This program was removed because it was not compatible with Windows" etc for Classic Start.

No biggie, I download the updated version of Classic Start and reinstall.

But now I keep getting the notification every time I boot. It's not uninstalling, nothing is changing on my system, I just keep getting the notification. I can clear them form the action center without issue so it's a minor annoyance, but it's still kinda weird.

maybe try uninstalling any version of start10 you can find on your machine, reboot, and see if the message comes back.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I like the win10 menu.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    It's Classic Shell, not Classic Start, sorry. I would never use Start10, it's nuts to pay money when there is a superior free alternative.

It's just weird, because it's not uninstalling the new version, I'm just still getting the notification. I'll try an uninstall/reboot/reinstall and see what happens.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Hmm... Classic Shell updated right after the Anniversary Edition came out. That's when one of the mirrors was hacked and was providing a MBR-wiping virus in place of the actual program.

Regardless, I installed the newer version of Classic Shell right after updating to Anniversary that first day it was out and haven't had any notification issues like that. So I'm not sure what that might be.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The developer seems to be pretty good about handling that sort of thing if you post on the forums.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It almost sounds like it didn't uninstall correctly the first time, and Windows is finding remnants of it and trying to remove them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I'm getting the same message for some sort of Intel controller (I just can't remember). I'm guessing it's a mobo driver I just have to remove/reinstall. I only just got 1607 on my desktop about a week ago.

• Options
    So uhhh, I didn't do the uninstall/reboot/reinstall like I was planning because I got sidetracked, but when I got to work and fired my laptop up I didn't see the notification, rebooted again to check and didn't see it then either, so I don't know man the problem may be resolved.

• Options
    So uhhh, I didn't do the uninstall/reboot/reinstall like I was planning because I got sidetracked, but when I got to work and fired my laptop up I didn't see the notification, rebooted again to check and didn't see it then either, so I don't know man the problem may be resolved.

The best kind of troubleshooting. Leave it alone until the problem goes away.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Oh man. KB3194496 has murdered my sister's two month old Lenovo laptop. It's incredibly slow. Like, sometimes clicking the start menu opens it instantly, and sometimes it takes ten seconds. For everything. I rolled back to the last system restore point before the update and tried to reboot into safe mode, but the stupid thing installed the update again during the reboot. I tried the system refresh option that nukes everything from orbit and reinstalls Windows; that didn't work either. The CPU isn't even pegged at 100%, but disk usage is constantly at 100%.

It's slow in safe mode, too. I clicked a tab in the task manager thirty seconds ago, and it still hasn't changed tabs. WTF.

Frem on
  • Options
    Do you have an AV installed? Maybe try disabling it.

Also, for giggles, try turning off the Superfetch and Windows Search services.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Do you have an AV installed? Maybe try disabling it.

Also, for giggles, try turning off the Superfetch and Windows Search services.

Nope, just the built in one that comes with Windows 10. Already killed Cortana and that didn't do anything. I've had it sitting on the Windows Update settings screen for an hour and a half without it loading. Can view other settings pages, but the Windows Update one is a never ending loading dot parade.

• Options
    Oh man. KB3194496 has murdered my sister's two month old Lenovo laptop. It's incredibly slow. Like, sometimes clicking the start menu opens it instantly, and sometimes it takes ten seconds. For everything. I rolled back to the last system restore point before the update and tried to reboot into safe mode, but the stupid thing installed the update again during the reboot. I tried the system refresh option that nukes everything from orbit and reinstalls Windows; that didn't work either. The CPU isn't even pegged at 100%, but disk usage is constantly at 100%.

It's slow in safe mode, too. I clicked a tab in the task manager thirty seconds ago, and it still hasn't changed tabs. WTF.

can you look and see what process is maxing the disk?

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Win10 always screws up my laptop bootup times
    I went back to the default "F3" Win7 install. Much better for a secondary machine anyway.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    So, it seems that one of my PCs is borked in some way. I don't know if it's a software thing or possibly a problem with one of the harddisks, as it kept telling me at startup that it needed to scan and repair drive D. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll have to reinstall Windows 10 using either a USB drive or a DVD, since I can boot Windows but anything other than just moving the mouse causes it to hang or even crash. My problem is that this was a free update of a computer where I don't even know where the original serial number is. Is there any way to reinstall without having the serial number handy? Or, alternatively, is there any way of finding out what the serial number is, without being able to boot the system?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    So, it seems that one of my PCs is borked in some way. I don't know if it's a software thing or possibly a problem with one of the harddisks, as it kept telling me at startup that it needed to scan and repair drive D. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll have to reinstall Windows 10 using either a USB drive or a DVD, since I can boot Windows but anything other than just moving the mouse causes it to hang or even crash. My problem is that this was a free update of a computer where I don't even know where the original serial number is. Is there any way to reinstall without having the serial number handy? Or, alternatively, is there any way of finding out what the serial number is, without being able to boot the system?

For windows 10 on the free update, you don't need a serial number, just install without. It should activate without any issue.

• Options
    If I have to reinstall from an external drive, though, will it recognise that I have Windows 10, even if there's something wrong with the install?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    If I have to reinstall from an external drive, though, will it recognise that I have Windows 10, even if there's something wrong with the install?

no it's a hardware ID based on system components. So if you were changing out your motherboard you'd probably have to do a phone activation, but if you're even just having to change out a hard drive that's no problem.

• Options
    Cool, that doesn't sound too bad. I don't know whether I can find out before a reinstall whether there's a problem with a drive (or several) or not, but I remember the Win 10 installation being relatively painless.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    It's tough to tell, but there's a possibility that one or more of your drives is dying, or the South Bridge could either be overheating or somehow also dying.

It almost sounds like your drives aren't caching, so any time your CPU goes to find files on them, it can't use them.

• Options
    Just out of curiosity, do you use Webroot on your computer? Or a Microsoft keyboard?

• Options
    So, here's a funny thing.

If you're using an Nvidia graphics card, and updated to 375.57, you may've noticed some things in Windows 10....are suddenly kind of broken. Specifically, the tile system, and the Mail and Calendar apps. If you don't use them, no problem, if you do, it's a known issue.

Given my history with Windows 10 glitches of seemingly every variety, this was a very worrying moment followed by relief when my guess to uninstall all my Nvidia software (and revert temporarily to Windows 10's basic drivers) immediately fixed the issue after Microsoft troubleshooting didn't.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    This is why you NEVER update unless you have a specific reason to.

MS is going to probably fuck up Win 10 with this forced update crap.