As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    What we need is some sort of governing body that ensures IOT devices have some sort of minimum threshold for security. One of the major devices involved in the attack didn't even have a way for a user to change the admin password away from the default!

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    What we need is some sort of governing body that ensures IOT devices have some sort of minimum threshold for security. One of the major devices involved in the attack didn't even have a way for a user to change the admin password away from the default!

Yeah, see that's bad. If you (companies that make IoT devices) aren't going to force people to make those items more secure you should at least provide the means to do so for the people that want to. Let me change the settings on my fridge so it's harder to hack (I don't actually have one of those but I did want one because of the amount of times we go to the store and forget something we ran out of weeks ago). Let me do the same thing with my automated home lighting system. And you damn well better make sure I can change those defaults on a home security system that I can activate or deactivate remotely.

Someone mentioned ovens. Yeah, even if that was secure I don't think I'd want my oven to be connected to the internet if one of those functions is able to turn the oven on in any way. Someone will inevitably butt-burn down their house. Same with the toaster. But things like thermostats, lights, possibly the fridge, I totally get people wanting to have. Maybe put some sort of hard limits in place so your thermostat can't be set to 30 F in the heart of winter.

I think the fridge with a camera in it could be cool in a situation where you're at the store for one thing and you wonder if you should pick up anything else while you're there. Again though, let the user make that camera more secure if they have the desire.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Mugsley wrote: »
    This discussion is just putting the most entertaining scenarios in my brain. People at work are starting to wonder why I'm smiling so much today.

And we haven't even thrown in "AI" like Cortana into the mix yet...

Let me tell you about this prophetic vision of writing known as The Veldt, man. Protect your parental access codes!

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Imagine a burglar walking by your house and wirelessly hacking into your refrigerator's calendar to find out when you'll be gone.

Monitoring when your cellphones come into and out of range is one of the ways smart thermostats can determine when people are home or not, and adjust temps accordingly. It knows which phones belong to which members of your family, and if it finds that cellphones tend to be out of range from 9am to 4pm (or whatever) than it figures the house is empty during that period of time and it can not be so aggressive on heating/cooling to save energy.

This is really great for automated power efficiency, but it also means that there is yet another device in your home with minimal security that contains a record of what times people are in or out of your house going back who knows how long. if you make enough money to have a home automation system like that you probably make enough money to have a decent amount of things in your house worth stealing, and if the system is located at or near your front door than it's likely reachable from a car parked on your street.

Call me a luddite, or a paranoiac, or whatever, but I'd rather just take two minutes and program an old fashioned thermostat with my hands than risk that sort of vulnerability.

I also have a little $0.39 pad of paper I can write grocery lists on that saves me from having to buy a $7,000 fridge.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Thieves aren't going to bother to drive around looking for unsecure or low security wireless networks to hack into and hoping that they then have a iot thermostat to check people's schedule to plan a break in.

They are going to walk up and ring your doorbell, and then pretend to be selling some junk, or looking for a lost dog if someone actually answers.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    So... this morning, as I was walking to my car for work, I wasn't sure if I locked my door (it's such a inconsequential action that I don't remember doing it half the time) and went to try the door to make sure I did. As I walked away from the doorway, a cop car up the block flashed their lights at me.

If I had the IoT and an intelligent keyless entry system, that would not have happened. I understand the future now.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So... this morning, as I was walking to my car for work, I wasn't sure if I locked my door (it's such a inconsequential action that I don't remember doing it half the time) and went to try the door to make sure I did. As I walked away from the doorway, a cop car up the block flashed their lights at me.

If I had the IoT and an intelligent keyless entry system, that would not have happened. I understand the future now.

Better hope your keyless entry system's firmware is kept up to date.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I have a keyless entry override system that works for all manufacturers.
    It even works on locks that use keys
    It's a rock.

• Options
    A piece of ceramic (say, chipped off of a sparkplug) will work better. If you don't hit it right a rock will just bounce off.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Good news: the new Windows 10 installation on my failing computer activated just fine, recognising my hardware.
    Bad news: it seems that the disks are well and truly buggered, at least two out of three - and the main drive seems to be among them, as W10 doesn't actually work properly once it's launched.

I've now ordered a new drive, and I'll try taking all the old ones out and installing W10 on the new one. Here's hoping the problem is really the drives and not something else, something more fundamental. Wish me luck!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    Thieves aren't going to bother to drive around looking for unsecure or low security wireless networks to hack into and hoping that they then have a iot thermostat to check people's schedule to plan a break in.

They are going to walk up and ring your doorbell, and then pretend to be selling some junk, or looking for a lost dog if someone actually answers.

Yeah...they don't need to hack your thermostat to case your house.

And most of them aren't storing that data locally anyway, it is all computed and stored in the cloud and a schedule is sent back down to the thermostat.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have the worst fucking issue right now
    My win10 desktop boots to a black screen with mouse cursor
    it's not a win+p display issue.
    rolling back the build doesn't work
    trying to reset the OS doesn't work
    startup auto repair doesn't work
    safe mode gets me to the same place
    there's no image to restore or restore points
    reseating the gpu and sound blaster didn't work
    unplugging all usb things and non-system hdds didn't work

Is there anything I can do other than reinstalling from usb?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    format c: ?

Seriously though, you might have to try a new install from media.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Before that started to happen, did you do any hw changes? power surge? how old is the pc? do you smoke or is the device around smokers?

If you've done software rollbacks, an OS repair and booted into safe mode and still no die, it's... likely something hardware, imo.

You have a pocketlinux launcher?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    I messed around with the Intel Rapid Start thing. Didn't have any power issues. The PC is 3-4 years old but I keep it tip-top shape.
    No smoke anywhere around
    The Software rollbacks and OS repair atually didn't work in the sense they didn't happen. I don't have any images or builds or restore points to go back to. I tried the OS reset and it said "something went wrong" and gave up.

and now the stupid win10 media creator can't see any of my usb drives on my laptop, so I'm actually burning a DVD!!!

It kinda doesn't look like a hardware issue, BIOS runs fine and there's video signal.

I can make a Linux live USB, but I don't know what to do with it to fix the os install.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    yea if the thing was blank that would be one thing, but if you can see the mouse cursor and the recovery options work to the point where they don't.... that's less likely to be hardware.

And what is this "dvd" you speak of? Is that some kind of newfangled technology?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Eh, did the reinstall.
    these things are so much easier nowadays, especially the post winstall setup. So much stuff on the clouds. Zero nostalgia for winxp times.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I'm actually burning a DVD!!!

GzxRc74.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2016
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yea if the thing was blank that would be one thing, but if you can see the mouse cursor and the recovery options work to the point where they don't.... that's less likely to be hardware.

And what is this "dvd" you speak of? Is that some kind of newfangled technology?

oh, idk. I ran into a similar issue and it turned out the hard drive was failing. figured it was a similar oddity.

edit: I haven't been able to mount the drive since, so again... idk.

edit2: it escalated to replace drive so quickly because it was my work PC.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    All's good now
    :D

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I've sorted it now but the windows update I did yesterday:
    *Made Chrome not function at all.
    *Reset all the default programs to windows standard.
    *Raised UAC to max again.

Reinstall and reboot to fix Chrome. After reboot it once again reset default programs.

They seem pretty bad at patching things.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    I can't seem to get windows search to pull items from my secondary drive. I've re-indexed and created a new indexing point multiple times, making sure to include the drive. It's pointing to the drive, everyone has full access to it. I just cannot get it to reference items inside of it when I hit the windows key and just start typing. It's driving me insane. The drive is internal, it already operates as intended, I just cannot seem to quick search it. Is there something super obvious that I'm missing from google-fu and primary knowledge?

An example, I have the battle.net client installed on my D\ drive. Ideally, if necessary, I'd like to be able to press the windows key, type "battle" and have its .exe show up as an item. It currently does not do that on Windows 10, Anniversary (1607). It just shows me that there aren't any results. Has anyone seen this before by chance?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Vladimer wrote: »
    I can't seem to get windows search to pull items from my secondary drive. I've re-indexed and created a new indexing point multiple times, making sure to include the drive. It's pointing to the drive, everyone has full access to it. I just cannot get it to reference items inside of it when I hit the windows key and just start typing. It's driving me insane. The drive is internal, it already operates as intended, I just cannot seem to quick search it. Is there something super obvious that I'm missing from google-fu and primary knowledge?

An example, I have the battle.net client installed on my D\ drive. Ideally, if necessary, I'd like to be able to press the windows key, type "battle" and have its .exe show up as an item. It currently does not do that on Windows 10, Anniversary (1607). It just shows me that there aren't any results. Has anyone seen this before by chance?

I've had it not even pull up PortableApps on my C drive. My workaround was to create shortcuts and pin them to the start menu.

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Frem wrote: »

I've had it not even pull up PortableApps on my C drive. My workaround was to create shortcuts and pin them to the start menu.

this is...unfortunate news. I'm trying to rebuild the index once more before quitting for the day

edit: didn't work, again. sometimes windows 10 can just fuck right off

Vladimer on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

this is...unfortunate news. I'm trying to rebuild the index once more before quitting for the day

edit: didn't work, again. sometimes windows 10 can just fuck right off

Let me know if you figure out, I have the exact same problem

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I've had my share of indexing issues--for example, if you have a folder of shortcuts on your desktop, at least for me, Windows 10 will not index it. What it will do is index the same folder of shortcuts if you drop it in the start menu directory.

If there are too many other things with "battle" in the name, that could also cause an issue (the applications are Battle.net Launcher and Battle.net), but that's probably not your problem. The index also dislikes indexing anything on the root directory of a drive, but it will definitely index secondary drives.

What you might want to do is move some test files around your folders, and see if the number of files indexed changes (indicating whether they were added or removed)--ideally a number of files that you know, so you can see the effects immediately. Windows 10 definitely has weird blind spots it flat-out won't index.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Anyone using anything specific for anti-telemetry stuff? Sypbot Anti-beacon hasn't been updated for quite a while, which makes me leery.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I don't think anything has changed since the Anniversary Update. There hasn't been any reason for them to update the program.

• Options
    For the last week or so, any video on Youtube has terrible artifacting, regardless of resolution and quality. Seems to be effecting both Chrome and Edge--but doesn't effect Youtube playing apps like Tubecast.

Given how terrible Chrome is on performance, this might be some motivation to use apps more often--but it's only effecting my desktop, not my Surface Pro. Anyone know what might be causing this? Video drivers?

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Have you considered burning your computer on a sacrificial pyre? You don't seem to have much luck with that thing.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Have you considered burning your computer on a sacrificial pyre? You don't seem to have much luck with that thing.

So you're saying SSDs are terrible disasters just waiting to happen? I've started to suspect as much. :P

Also, as I pointed out, it's an issue in Chrome and Edge. And both of those are known to be terrible :twisted: .

EDIT: Weirdly, I tested again--it seems to be only a serious issue in certain videos, and not other ones. So maybe Youtube is just being terrible

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    lrn2firefox?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »

So you're saying SSDs are terrible disasters just waiting to happen? I've started to suspect as much. :P

Also, as I pointed out, it's an issue in Chrome and Edge. And both of those are known to be terrible :twisted: .

EDIT: Weirdly, I tested again--it seems to be only a serious issue in certain videos, and not other ones. So maybe Youtube is just being terrible

If you've verified that it's only some videos, have you checked how those videos perform on other computers? That will help narrow down if it's Youtube or not.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Can you check to see if for those few videos youtube is defaulting to play in flash player instead of HTML5? that could be what is happening. Best way to try is blocking flash in chrome and trying the videos, that would force youtube to display in HTML5 if it wasn't for some reason.

Still though, I think the only way to be 100% sure is to set your computer on fire and start over.
    that last part might be a joke.
    or not

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Well, we have confirmed that solid state drives are, in fact, the tools of Satan. That was kind of obvious given their pricing point.

On a more relevant note, I doubt that it's the difference between HTML5/Flash, though a flash blocking extension is a generally good idea to have no matter what. The problem seems to still occur on HTML5 videos (frequently it goes away, but it does seem bad when videos start). No such problems on my Surface Pro 3 using flash.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was an Nvidia driver issue again, seeing how they put out a bunch of updates in a rather short time, and at least one of them was fucking broken.

On the other hand, neither Crunychyroll nor Netflix (in Chrome) have the issue. So maybe Youtube is terrible--which is something I can live with, I mostly watch it through an app in my TV anyway. I was mostly just annoying for trying to get video guides while playing a game.

• Options
    all drives are time bombs

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
  • Options
    damn, now that I did a full system reinstall (thanks to my own dumbness), after being with the same install for several years (7 upped to 8 upped to 8.1 upped to 10)
    I really love win10. This kind of process is so much easier and faster now. Not only Win10 is fucking boss, but office is tied to my account and everything is up on the cloud or self-detecting...

We've never had it so good.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Nice. Got it for LastPass.

• Options
    My issue went away about as mysteriously as it came, with no intervention on my part.

So, yes, Youtube is terrible. But like the post office, it's cheap and we can't live without it.