As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So, my university gave me a free license for Win10 Education, which is nice.

The thing is, I seem to remember vaguely hearing stuff about Office 2010 being trouble on Windows 10? Because that's the one I use, and if I have to pay for a license for a new Office when my old one works perfectly well (and in fact honestly nothing I've seen from 365 makes me want it in the slightest. Also, fuck subscription models) I'm probably just not going to bother. Is that true?

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Office 2010 works fine on Windows 10. As well as it ever did, anyway.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If it's full Office 2010 (and not some bizarro semi-full version), I don't see why it wouldn't work. Office 2013 certainly does. You might need to run compatibility mode but I doubt it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You shouldn't need to. Even 2007 doesn't need compatibility mode, though it's a little more unstable. 2003 straight up doesn't work though.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Aces. Let's set the iso to download from Imagine, then.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the windows store is just so awful, and so bereft of relevant software for ANY goals, that i can't see winS as a good thing. You can't learn to make games with unity, ue or any other engine, for instance.
    it's a really terrible idea.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Well, except Tubecast, which is awesome and better than any Youtube app I've yet to find on Android.

And Pandora, Netflix, Crunchyroll, etc., but those are all major media apps so it's hard to mess those up.

Tubecast is amazing though.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the windows store is just so awful, and so bereft of relevant software for ANY goals, that i can't see winS as a good thing. You can't learn to make games with unity, ue or any other engine, for instance.
    it's a really terrible idea.

The store was, in the past restricted to newly developed UWP apps. Now developers can take existing apps and package them for the store. That's how iTunes will end up there. The importance of that cannot be stressed enough.

The store in the past failed because developers said "we're not going to rebuild our apps on a brand new platform just to put them on the store." Now that restriction is gone. I haven't dug too much into the desktop bridge, but my understanding is that to get the absolute basic functionality to put it in the store, it's just pressing another button in the compiler. Developers don't have to re-write apps, they just need to take what they already have and package it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    That's just a possibility, tho. The store still sucks. and it's not just because of the horrible lack of goopd stuff, but mostly everything about it is really shitty.
    So far, Win10S is a terrible options. If and when devs decide to move into that store, that maybe make it all better, but not that much.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    I'm not sure which thread is the best to post this in, since I don't know the source of the problem, but I'm going to start here.

For a long time (at least a few months, possibly over a year) I've been having issues with my HyperX Cloud headphones.

Sometimes when I wake up the computer I'll just hear a hissing noise without any other sound, and the adapter doesn't show up in the Sound control panel. Other times I've been using the computer when I notice the sound start to degrade, with voices in particular slowly becoming incomprehensible, followed by other sound.

Unplugging and replugging the headphones doesn't help either way, and the only fix I've found (which usually works, but not always) is shutting the computer down. I've tried restarting a few times but to the best of my recollection that hasn't fixed the problem.

I'm on the Creator's Update version of Windows 10, though the issue definitely started before that, and I've searched for driver updates via Sound but it said mine were up to date.

Any ideas on the cause or how to fix this?

• Options
    That's just a possibility, tho. The store still sucks. and it's not just because of the horrible lack of goopd stuff, but mostly everything about it is really shitty.
    So far, Win10S is a terrible options. If and when devs decide to move into that store, that maybe make it all better, but not that much.

I'm just curious, what about it is shitty, aside from the lack of apps?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Can't tell it where to install things. Can't uninstall things from it. Those things alone make it annoying to use.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Discoverability is a huge problem too. The whole UWP subsystem on windows 10 x86 has some skeletons in the closet too. Apps are installed into a directory even the system administrator can't access, and apps are responsible for cleaning up after themselves (which many do not do). You can end up with a significant amount of shit taking up space on the system drive that has no way of being deleted.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I'd argue the app selection is very good--not the best, but there are outstanding apps (and bad ones too).

The lack of transparency is bothersome (especially given how Windows has generally worked for decades).

EDIT: You can decide what drive you install apps on. But the lack of folder options is annoying.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    the pricing is fucking attrocious over here too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Can't tell it where to install things. Can't uninstall things from it. Those things alone make it annoying to use.

I'll give you the uninstall thing,modern app stores should have that. But as for where to install to, I've never seen that as a presentable choice in any app store on any platform. I know you can on steam but that's not really an App store.
    LD50 wrote: »
    Discoverability is a huge problem too. The whole UWP subsystem on windows 10 x86 has some skeletons in the closet too. Apps are installed into a directory even the system administrator can't access, and apps are responsible for cleaning up after themselves (which many do not do). You can end up with a significant amount of shit taking up space on the system drive that has no way of being deleted.

That's done on purpose. Same thing happens on the other app stores. The whole point is that the user *shouldn't* be managing this stuff like they did/do with x86 apps. Cleaning up is also done by the built in system tools, and space is reclaimed automatically when you need it. i.e. I bought Gears 4 on Xbox, and wanted to try it on PC too since it's cross buy. When I deleted it from the PC when I was done, the space didn't immediately appear in Windows explorer, but after a few days, it did.

• Options
    Honestly, I think too many people forget that if you're coming to the Windows Thread in the Penny Arcade forums, you're already more of a power user than 99.9% of windows users out there. The vast majority of people frankly will not care that apps get installed into a hidden folder they can't see and micro manage. They won't care that they can't judiciously manage every megabyte of storage at all times. They won't care about any of this stuff. All they want is to be able to go to facebook, look at pictures of their family, and if they need/want an app, they expect to find it in the store.

The Windows App store isn't for me. I use it only when I need to. But I have Steam, Photoshop, Lightroom, VS Code, Bash on Windows, etc. Windows 10 S and the App Store will never be for me. Chances are if you're reading this it isn't for you either. And that's ok. Microsoft isn't taking away your version of windows that works for you. But the App Store, assuming developers actually put their x86 apps into it, is fine for the vast majority of the billion people who use Windows every day, and in all reality will probably the better experience, again assuming the apps they want are in the store.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    And we get to pay $50 extra for the "luxury" of caring enough to micromanage our own systems.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    And we get to pay $50 extra for the "luxury" of caring enough to micromanage our own systems.

that's only if you first choose to buy a computer that comes with Windows 10 S out of the box.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Really? I don't think I've ever actually paid for an app, and I have more than a hundred of them installed, after having checked.

I just hope it doesn't become like the Google Play store, where every single app not from a major corporation is an advertising vector--but I sort of suspect that's in its future too. It's impossible to use the Google Play Store and not think app developers want you not to buy their apps because of how much advertising they put in the "trial" version.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Really? I don't think I've ever actually paid for an app, and I have more than a hundred of them installed, after having checked.

I just hope it doesn't become like the Google Play store, where every single app not from a major corporation is an advertising vector--but I sort of suspect that's in its future too. It's impossible to use the Google Play Store and not think app developers want you not to buy their apps because of how much advertising they put in the "trial" version.

Part of that is because statistically Android users don't spend as much money on apps as iOS users do. Too many people are conditioned to think that they should never spend money on apps even though it may be something they use literally every day.

That's a real pet peeve of mine.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I'll give you the uninstall thing,modern app stores should have that. But as for where to install to, I've never seen that as a presentable choice in any app store on any platform. I know you can on steam but that's not really an App store.

That's done on purpose. Same thing happens on the other app stores. The whole point is that the user *shouldn't* be managing this stuff like they did/do with x86 apps. Cleaning up is also done by the built in system tools, and space is reclaimed automatically when you need it. i.e. I bought Gears 4 on Xbox, and wanted to try it on PC too since it's cross buy. When I deleted it from the PC when I was done, the space didn't immediately appear in Windows explorer, but after a few days, it did.

This isn't true 100% of the time. There was a store app that was installed on some computers I managed. We moved away from the app because we ended up having issues with it. All of these machines have 256gb ssds. The app ended up leaving multiple gigs of garbage in the inaccessible app directory that was never cleaned up, months after the app was uninstalled, even though some of these machines' drives were 90% full. As far as I can tell these issues don't happen on ARM windows 10. On x86/64 windows UWP is hot garbage and a nightmare to deal with when you need to fix something that breaks.

• Options

Part of that is because statistically Android users don't spend as much money on apps as iOS users do. Too many people are conditioned to think that they should never spend money on apps even though it may be something they use literally every day.

It's a perfect logical evolution on the marketing model, and it sucks. But I'm also a cheapskate, and one of the problems.

And it seems very likely to come to the Windows Store for the same reason.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Why would you ever spend money when there will literally always be somewhere between one and thirty thousand free alternatives to any app on the Android marketplace?

Mobile development is a garbage business anyway. You're competing against literally everyone who has a computer and enough focus to brute force their way through a "How to make a mobile app" tutorial on Youtube in an incredibly crowded marketplace with practically zero oversight and even less curation. This is the downside to a completely free and open digital marketplace and the reason why apps tend to either make a million dollars a month or eight cents a year with remarkably few falling in between.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So... apparently there is a new Surface Pro coming out this year.

It simply isn't named the Surface Pro 5. So that whole "there is no such thing as a Pro 5" is technically true.

The 512 GB / i7 / 16gb Model is $2,199 USD.

edit: it has optional LTE.

(Source)

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I didn't think it was a major revision at first, but removing the fan is pretty huge.

The inclusion of LTE is surprising. The reason that never made it to the line was, thanks to the full-sized USB 3.0, even the original Surface Pro was compatible with any USB modem/antenna.

Some people were complaining about the lack of USB-C...which is fair. Though obviously, were it a contest between "full-sized USB 3.0 and minidisplay" and "one USB-C", no fucking contest--the first one wins every day, forever. It's not Microsoft's job to pressure other manufacturers to make USB-C devices or package adapter cables. But it would've been nice to have both (assuming it didn't hike up the price substantial, which it might).

• Options
    It's 2017. No device should be coming without at least one USB-C port. Full stop. No one is saying the new Pro should be removing the USB-A port, but at worst they should have removed the mini displayport and put in USB-C instead.

The entire Surface line looks great, for late 2015 hardware. But it's not 2015 anymore. When you're charging what Microsoft is charging for these devices, you expect them to last 3-4 years minimum, and not including USB-C at all really harms that expectation.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    It's 2017. No device should be coming without at least one USB-C port. Full stop. No one is saying the new Pro should be removing the USB-A port, but at worst they should have removed the mini displayport and put in USB-C instead.

The entire Surface line looks great, for late 2015 hardware. But it's not 2015 anymore. When you're charging what Microsoft is charging for these devices, you expect them to last 3-4 years minimum, and not including USB-C at all really harms that expectation.

While you make me feel like a bit of a luddite, the number of devices that I have that are USB C to C are only... well, zero.

The penetration required to nix USB-A to go to USB-C simply isn't there, especially in the business sector. This isn't like apple where they can 86 a port and tell people to get over it and still have them buy it.

For reference: Here's an article from the Verge in 2015, stating that USB-C has "Won." USB-C is definitely neat, but USB-A is still the standard and I would be surprised if that changes within the next 3-4 years.

tastydonuts on
  • Options

While you make me feel like a bit of a luddite, the number of devices that I have that are USB C to C are only... well, zero.

The penetration required to nix USB-A to go to USB-C simply isn't there, especially in the business sector. This isn't like apple where they can 86 a port and tell people to get over it and still have them buy it.

See, my point is that the number of USB C devices people may have today is zero, the number they're going to have in 3-4 years, when people will still be expecting a $1000-$2000 machine to be something they use every day will probably be significantly greater than zero. Your next non apple smartphone will probably have USB C. I think later in 2017 you're going to start seeing more accessory type devices (think bluetooth speakers, flash drives, etc) come with USB C. Heck we're already seeing monitors shipping that have built in native USB-C for video. USB C isn't necessarily about today, but it's about next year and the year after that.

USB A isn't dead, and wont' be dead for a long time. But to ignore USB C altogether (and no, a dongle isn't the answer), is not an acceptable answer in 2017.

• Options

See, my point is that the number of USB C devices people may have today is zero, the number they're going to have in 3-4 years, when people will still be expecting a $1000-$2000 machine to be something they use every day will probably be significantly greater than zero. Your next non apple smartphone will probably have USB C. I think later in 2017 you're going to start seeing more accessory type devices (think bluetooth speakers, flash drives, etc) come with USB C. Heck we're already seeing monitors shipping that have built in native USB-C for video. USB C isn't necessarily about today, but it's about next year and the year after that.

USB A isn't dead, and wont' be dead for a long time. But to ignore USB C altogether (and no, a dongle isn't the answer), is not an acceptable answer in 2017.

I would say a device that's released in 2019 that doesn't include USB-C would be a miss, but for now it's fine.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else wish there was some kind of haptic feedback on the surface pros/windows 10 2-1s? Or maybe a UX that can be better customized for tablet use over laptop use?

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Does anyone else wish there was some kind of haptic feedback on the surface pros/windows 10 2-1s? Or maybe a UX that can be better customized for tablet use over laptop use?

well, considering that haptic feedback requires vibration motors in the devices, and I have yet to come across a tablet type device that has it (of any variety, iPad, Android, and Windows) that has that, I doubt we'll see it.

Haptic feedback on larger devices like a 12" tablet like a Surface Pro would require more motors across different parts of the device, which significantly increases complexity in design and manufacturing

• Options
    edited May 2017

I would say a device that's released in 2019 that doesn't include USB-C would be a miss, but for now it's fine.

"Every device needs to have USB-C full stop," is all fine and good until that affects the price like literally every other feature added on a compact-form computer.

If it's $2 more, whatever, knock yourself out. If it's not, then we have a problem. Sony's excuse for not including a UHD player, the technology they literally pioneered as part of the Bluray consortium, was price saving. All of $14 (at most, and possibly less). Of course, we're giving Sony credit for not deliberately trying to hurt UHD sales to help their own digital distribution, but we can't completely exclude that either.

One original thing impeded the inclusion of USB-C was the the cost (that and the early headache of poorly-enforced standards, but that was inevitable). I don't think that's an issue now, but considering their basic model is $799, they might've pulled a Sony. On the other hand, they're including LTE--which was something they caught flak for missing back around the SP1, but has largely been silently since then.

And of course it goes without saying, every SP has to have conventional USB. Taking that out is a literal betrayal of the original device promise and a huge handicap to its capabilities. The number of older devices that work in Windows 10, but suffer (or flat out don't work) when paired with dongles and adapters alone...but you have to imagine they have enough space not to pull any sort of Macbook-esque idiocy.

EDIT: Also, removing the Minidisplay port is a fairly horrible idea. "Hey, hope you like the new Surface Pro working with none of your video projector systems, every college in America. Be sure to buy another adapter!"

Synthesis on
  • Options

EDIT: Also, removing the Minidisplay port is a fairly horrible idea. "Hey, hope you like the new Surface Pro working with none of your video projector systems, every college in America. Be sure to buy another adapter!"

One can't forget that moment of horror that comes with office meetings where a person is using a Mac and forgot their adapter to hook up to the displays or projectors, some of which still use VGA.

• Options
    edited May 2017

I'll dispute that, because I haven't seen a new laptop released since mid 2016 that includes mini displayport, except for these new surfaces. That port is dying really quickly. Most laptops are either including straight HDMI out, the even worse micro-HDMI, or the newest models doing video out via USB-C.

And video projection systems have always had a billion adapters for everything. I've never seen a projector system with native mini displayport support. Generally you see HDMI and VGA, and then adapters for machines that don't have it. I set up a new conference room at a previous job a couple years ago and we had HDMI, VGA, and then a drawer full of dongles for every other type of video connectivity. There are just too many video out options on laptops released over the last 5 years to make any kind of standard work in a conference system.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited May 2017

One can't forget that moment of horror that comes with office meetings where a person is using a Mac and forgot their adapter to hook up to the displays or projectors, some of which still use VGA.

That's exactly what Microsoft wants to try and sell--"Don't worry! Just buy another adapter cable! Chain that shit together! Trust us, this is really convenient!"

EDIT: And if you've literally never seen a projector system with minidisplay, here's the good news--it's going to be ten years before you ever see one with USB-C in a college campus.

EDIT EDIT: And speak of the devil and it shall appear--the SP will get a USB-C dongle...which will connect with other dongles, because of the hilarious number of actual native USB-C devices. It's connecting to what most of us would call the charge port or power port, allowing both charging and interfacing apparently.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    My 10" samsung tablet has vibration. I didn't realize this was a thing that most tablets don't have.

• Options
    My 10" samsung tablet has vibration. I didn't realize this was a thing that most tablets don't have.

Across the whole display? All the Surface Pros with buttons have haptic feedback...on that button.

• Options

Across the whole display? All the Surface Pros with buttons have haptic feedback...on that button.

Yes. Not every button on every interface triggers it, which I assume is up to the app developer for whatever app you're using, but the keyboard and all the important or built in stuff has haptic feedback. I can't imagine typing on an on screen keyboard that didn't have haptics.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I can't imagine typing on an on screen keyboard that didn't have haptics.

so the good news is that the surface pro is a device beyond your wildest imagination.