As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows OS] Version 1604 - Dual core Atom: Pass. 8 core Ryzen 1700X: Fail.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    During auto restarts for the update, pc decided to start trying to boot a different windows install instead, so that made things fun.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Again if you're one of the people who insists on using insecure legacy systems you're the reason MS is doing this.

Users handling their own security is simply not reliable.

I wonder with TPM being standard MS is just going to make full disk encryption default too.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I do still think Microsoft will cave a little bit on the processor requirements. if they can find a way to support anything that does support TPM 2.0 I think they should. they probably won't but I do bet they'll find a way to get at least Intel 7xxx and Ryzen 1xxx supported. Getting the 7xxx series supported will get us back to 2017 at least, and supporting 4 years worth of processors seems way better than 3.

I'll still personally be annoyed with my 4790k, but if it really is a Driver Model issue, I can understand.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Again if you're one of the people who insists on using insecure legacy systems you're the reason MS is doing this.

I wonder with TPM being standard MS is just going to make full disk encryption default too.

Probably not, because disk encryption doesn't prevent any kind of malware attack (software running on a machine won't see the disk as encrypted as it's decrypted as data is requested). Disk encryption exists to protect user data in case of theft, which doesn't happen all that often to desktops. TPM being enabled in laptops is common because they do disk encryption much more often due to laptops being eminently more stealable.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Probably not, because disk encryption doesn't prevent any kind of malware attack (software running on a machine won't see the disk as encrypted as it's decrypted as data is requested). Disk encryption exists to protect user data in case of theft, which doesn't happen all that often to desktops. TPM being enabled in laptops is common because they do disk encryption much more often due to laptops being eminently more stealable.

On the other hand, FDE has negligible impact on performance with modern hardware, so also not much reason not to simply have it on to protect against any unknowns such as the rare desktop theft. At least with the requirement for TPM to be enabled with Win11, the option to turn FDE on effectively just becomes a checkbox people could click on in the initial setup wizard.

Company PC's, besides theft, also have the concern of data exfiltration by failures to wipe or destroy drives that are decommissioned and could wind up in anyone's hands. FDE protects against those procedural lapses whether it be a laptop or desktop. It'd be easier to apply that FDE policy company-wide if you knew everything actually had TPM enabled from the start.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »

On the other hand, FDE has negligible impact on performance with modern hardware, so also not much reason not to simply have it on to protect against any unknowns such as the rare desktop theft. At least with the requirement for TPM to be enabled with Win11, the option to turn FDE on effectively just becomes a checkbox people could click on in the initial setup wizard.

Company PC's, besides theft, also have the concern of data exfiltration by failures to wipe or destroy drives that are decommissioned and could wind up in anyone's hands. FDE protects against those procedural lapses whether it be a laptop or desktop. It'd be easier to apply that FDE policy company-wide if you knew everything actually had TPM enabled from the start.

FDE already is enabled by enterprise users. They are probably the #1 driver of TPM chips making it into consumer hardware. My work has had bitlocker FDE enabled for all machines basically since it has been available.

There is a downside to consumer FDE: it makes data recovery harder. When grandma's computer goes bust, she won't have her bitlocker backup key (or won't know where it is) and is going to be upset when she can't get to the pictures she has stored on the drive. Without FDE it's as easy as plugging the drive into another computer using a usb dongle. With FDE it's impossible.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    MS's newer methods have made that a little easier if you play into their walled garden a bit. If you attach your MS license to a Microsoft account it backs up your keys to the cloud automatically.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Honestly linking an MS account to my copy of Windows has saved far more headaches that its caused.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Ugn.

After upgrading to 11, all my web stuff was reset to Edge. I had to manually change at least a dozen different things away from Edge individually instead of it letting me just change my default browser--and even that made me click through a NO BUT EDGE IS GREAT THOUGH pop up. I shouldn't get advertisements, not even pathetic pleading ones, in my settings.

Didn't they lose an antitrust suit over browser shit decades ago? Though I guess now isn't then.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Ugn.

After upgrading to 11, all my web stuff was reset to Edge. I had to manually change at least a dozen different things away from Edge individually instead of it letting me just change my default browser--and even that made me click through a NO BUT EDGE IS GREAT THOUGH pop up. I shouldn't get advertisements, not even pathetic pleading ones, in my settings.

Didn't they lose an antitrust suit over browser shit decades ago? Though I guess now isn't then.

Not to say whether or not this is intentional or not from Microsoft, but anecdotally That didn’t happen to me across two machines I upgraded to 11, and we must remember that this is technically a developer class beta of the OS still. Resetting all of your browser defaults to Edge is likely a bug.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Ugn.

Nope, they settled of course. And yes this is the exact kind of shit that case was about.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Ugn.

Nope, they settled of course. And yes this is the exact kind of shit that case was about.

Given that since then Apple has started abusing their control over their systems to extents that Microsoft could never dream of, Microsoft suffering any consequences for this is probably a lost cause.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the US government has basically gone "enforcing antitrust laws? stopping anticompetetive business practices? what's that?" since the late 90s when that case was brought so yeah lost cause

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    To elaborate more, it looks like anything Windows 11 has a new app for (or Edge), its overwritten my default apps for everything that app can cover. So the majority of video file types default to Movies and TV now, audio defaults to Groove, etc.

And of course you can't mass change those associations back in any reasonable way, or at least if you can it's not intuitive (this is the same as W10 though).

Kamar on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    So about all this print spooler stuff; as I understand it, as of the 16th they've reported another exploit the out of band patch doesn't protect against and are recommending to disable the service until they have a patch that does. Is this something a home user really needs to worry about? If so, would it be a bad idea to periodically toggle it back on for a print job and then disable it again? I'm assuming they are probably busting ass to get a patch to resolve this ASAP, but not being able to print is kind of a big imposition.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So about all this print spooler stuff; as I understand it, as of the 16th they've reported another exploit the out of band patch doesn't protect against and are recommending to disable the service until they have a patch that does. Is this something a home user really needs to worry about? If so, would it be a bad idea to periodically toggle it back on for a print job and then disable it again? I'm assuming they are probably busting ass to get a patch to resolve this ASAP, but not being able to print is kind of a big imposition.

disabling it isn't hard if you're comfortable going to the services panel and right clicking and disabling it. But yes, would need to re-enable every time.

Personally, I think it comes down to how paranoid you are with a home computer. While these attacks do affect all computers, the groups conducting the attacks are primarily going after "high value" targets, like businesses, or potentially known wealthy people, etc. If you're some "random person on the internet" you're not likely to be targeted, and if you do get infected from it it's likely you're collatoral damage.

If you feel like you need to, spending a couple minutes googling how to disable the print spooler is all you need, and it's not hard to do, really. But am I telling my late 60's dad to worry about it? No.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Thanks for the feedback. I'd actually already disabled it on mine so I knew it was pretty easy, but I was wondering about whether I'd need to tell my parents (also senior citizens), who seem to print stuff a lot more often given how frequently they need help with their printer.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    The vulnerabilities shouldn't affect end users unless you have your computer set up as a print server on your network.

Disabling the spooler service is fine though since it shouldn't affect local print jobs.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I like how it's 2021 and printers are still finding new and inventive ways to be assholes, even when they're not even directly involved.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I like how it's 2021 and printers are still finding new and inventive ways to be assholes, even when they're not even directly involved.

To be fair, part of this is because we insist on calling these things "printers" when they are everything from fax machines to scanners to flash drive readers, all of which are supposed to securely and easily integrate to your existing IT infrastructure, including everything from AD permissions to virtual machines.

But yeah, printers still totally suck.

• Options
    Printers have more moving parts than anything else computer related. Hell, a new M1 MacBook air is fanless, so there are literally no moving parts in an entire computer and my printer has enough gears that I could build a small vehicle with them.

Or you know, enough gears to start a war.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Sort of Windows related, I finally got around to subscribing to Office 365 Family. I used my MS ID that is tied to my Gmail account, as it seemed to really want to. Maybe because it's also tied to my xbox stuff. However when it created the subscription, it just created some junk email address, outlook_735452JWT183F6K03 (I randomized some of the #'s here). I have an existing Outlook.com account I'd rather use.

I've tried searching all over and I can't seem to find anyway to delete the pre-generated account and tie an existing account to the subscription. One MS tech support person couldn't understand what I was asking and the billing guy mentioned I'd have to wait till next year to re-subscribe with the existing Outlook.com account.

Anyone run into this? The sad part is if this was enterprise or business, it would be easy haha.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Sort of Windows related, I finally got around to subscribing to Office 365 Family. I used my MS ID that is tied to my Gmail account, as it seemed to really want to. Maybe because it's also tied to my xbox stuff. However when it created the subscription, it just created some junk email address, outlook_735452JWT183F6K03 (I randomized some of the #'s here). I have an existing Outlook.com account I'd rather use.

I've tried searching all over and I can't seem to find anyway to delete the pre-generated account and tie an existing account to the subscription. One MS tech support person couldn't understand what I was asking and the billing guy mentioned I'd have to wait till next year to re-subscribe with the existing Outlook.com account.

Anyone run into this? The sad part is if this was enterprise or business, it would be easy haha.

Billing guy is correct. You've tied your subscription to Account A. You've tied your email address to Account B. If you want your subscription on the same account as your email address, the subscription needs to be purchased on Account B.

You also cannot set the email address on Account A to be the same as it is already in use on Account B. You could however, go into Account A and add a different email alias to use for sign-in and mail instead of the randomly generated one, as long as it's not already taken.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    There's no real way around this. you do have to have an @outlook.com email address to use the service, even if you log in with a gmail account.

You may be able to create an alias email address and then delete the randomly generated one, but you do need to have something with an outlook.com email address (or hotmail if your account is that old).

I have a similar situation where i set up a microsoft account years ago with my gmail address, but over time Microsoft has been slowly migrating to make users use microsoft email addresses. So while I can sign into everything with the gmail address, for example when I look at my xbox the email address listed is now my outlook.com email address, which I made firstnamelastname@outlook.com

So maybe try creating a "good" outlook.com address and setting it as the primary, that's probably the best you're going to get.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Thanks. Maybe I'll try and find or start a user voice on this. And hopefully in a year I may have other options. It sucks that I can't use the Outlook.com address I registered years back when it launched. I specifically signed up to reserve that name haha.

EDIT: lol nm. Didn't see Microsoft was shutting down UserVoice here.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Well that was a quick and painless update to the Windows 11 beta (touch wood).

Absalon on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    That reminds me of an old joke:
    A helicopter with a pilot and a single passenger was flying around above Seattle when a malfunction disabled all of the aircraft's navigation and communications equipment.

Due to the darkness and haze, the pilot could not determine the helicopter's position and course to get back to the airport.

The pilot saw a tall building with lights on and flew toward it, the pilot had the passenger draw a handwritten sign reading, "WHERE AM I?", and hold it up for the building's occupants to see.

People in the building quickly responded to the aircraft, drew a large sign, and held it in a building window.

Their sign said, "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER."

The pilot smiled, waved, looked at his map, determined the course to steer to SEATAC airport, and landed safely.

After they were on the ground, the passenger asked the pilot how the "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER" sign helped determine their position.

The pilot responded, "I knew that had to be the Microsoft support building, they gave me a technically correct but entirely useless answer."

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    Now that's a joke I've not heard in a long time.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    Now that's a joke I've not heard in a long time.

Well people are flying a lot less these days and everyone is working remote.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    So Microsoft managed to screw up right click in 11. That's..honestly kind of impressive.

If you, say, have 7 zip installed and right click you won't see it. It's hidden under a "show more" button at the bottom of the right click menu, along with everything but a small subset of right click options. There's no way to move things from one side to the other. Don't worry though, Open in Terminal is top level!

What.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    So Microsoft managed to screw up right click in 11. That's..honestly kind of impressive.

If you, say, have 7 zip installed and right click you won't see it. It's hidden under a "show more" button at the bottom of the right click menu, along with everything but a small subset of right click options. There's no way to move things from one side to the other. Don't worry though, Open in Terminal is top level!

What.

While "open in terminal" contradicts the argument, the talking points are that it was done in an attempt to make the menus simpler, and easier to read/look at.

For *most* people, simplifying the right click menu is the right call. And that's what Windows 11 is trying to do. be better/simpler for *most people* There's a simplification of the UI to make it easier for the mainstream to work with, while making the power users (which are a very small subset of users) have to learn new things.

I don't think Microsoft has gotten it perfect, but I think the idea is generally a good one.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

What.

While "open in terminal" contradicts the argument, the talking points are that it was done in an attempt to make the menus simpler, and easier to read/look at.

For *most* people, simplifying the right click menu is the right call. And that's what Windows 11 is trying to do. be better/simpler for *most people* There's a simplification of the UI to make it easier for the mainstream to work with, while making the power users (which are a very small subset of users) have to learn new things.

I don't think Microsoft has gotten it perfect, but I think the idea is generally a good one.

"The tool I use now requires an extra menu" isn't simplification. The choice of what is above and below the extra popout also seems kind of arbitrary and more about pushing the default choices.

• Options

What.

"The tool I use now requires an extra menu" isn't simplification. The choice of what is above and below the extra popout also seems kind of arbitrary and more about pushing the default choices.

It actually is simplification. It isn't simplification for *you* and that's ok for you to be upset about it. But for the Billion+ windows installs in the world where someone might install a tool once, never use it again, but yet it always clogs up their right click menu, and someone like my grandmother doesn't know/understand to just uninstall that thing she used once... yea, it's a simplification. It puts lesser used tools further away because they are lesser used by fewer peopl.

Perhaps a middle ground, and why I say that Microsoft hasn't gotten this perfect, would be to allow customization of that. That way the default behavior is as it is now, but for the people who really want it, allow them to put some of those things at the top level.

• Options

What.

It actually is simplification. It isn't simplification for *you* and that's ok for you to be upset about it. But for the Billion+ windows installs in the world where someone might install a tool once, never use it again, but yet it always clogs up their right click menu, and someone like my grandmother doesn't know/understand to just uninstall that thing she used once... yea, it's a simplification. It puts lesser used tools further away because they are lesser used by fewer peopl.

Perhaps a middle ground, and why I say that Microsoft hasn't gotten this perfect, would be to allow customization of that. That way the default behavior is as it is now, but for the people who really want it, allow them to put some of those things at the top level.

I strongly disagree. From the perspective of an existing non-power user, this change is awful. I have a bunch of users who would not ever look under the more menu, who will not understand why the options they depend on are missing. This change helps nobody.

• Options

What.

re bolded: "Open in Terminal".

If they allowed, say, sorting what goes where, or toggling it to always open, this is a non issue eventually. But there's going to be a lot of non power users very confused as to why that thing they installed doesn't work.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah having 7 zip in the right click hasn't been a thing for me since they packed in a file compression utility directly in file manager.

My bugaboo right now is the task bar right click is a fucking war crime.

Other than that W11 has been pretty decent.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    So Microsoft is (sort of) backtracking on the Windows 11 system requirements.

Basically if you have an unsupported hardware configuration (so anything 7th gen intel and older, or first gen ryzen and older) you won't be able to do an upgrade via windows update, but anyone willing to go through the trouble will be able to download an ISO of windows 11 and do a fresh install.

Microsoft will not officially support that, and if there are driver/software compatability issues, that's on you.

It's maybe not the best way to go about this, but at the very least, the people who are capable of downloading an ISO, sticking it on a USB key, and installing that way will be able to.

This means my grandmother won't upgrade to Win11 and maybe have things break, but I'll be able to and actually try to fix anything that might break.

It's a reasonable solution, if not an ideal one.

https://www.theverge.com/22644194/microsoft-windows-11-minimum-system-requirements-processors-changes

wunderbar on
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Oh and Microsoft will officially support Skylake-X and Kaby Lake-X 7xxx processors (the workstation parts), W series Xeon Processors, and a single 7th generation Laptop CPU, the Core i7-7820HQ

Why that specific CPU? That's what is in the Surface Sudio 2, a $3,500 computer that Microsoft still sells today.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/loosened-windows-11-requirements-cover-the-surface-studio-2-but-not-much-else/

wunderbar on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I have an i7-7820HK.

Cheated by one letter. Thwarted by my chip's ability to overclock. That's just insulting. :lol: