As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] Would you vape Hedgehog?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    So based on Drew's impressions I bought My Summer Car.

Yeah that is something else all right.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    I think the reason there hasn't been a Bradibuster has just been because the rest know that when Brad decides something "HAS to be at least on the list" that he'll drag the whole thing down for eternity because "Dota HAS TO BE ON THE LIST" so they just go "Fucking, fine, take the number 10 slot. It's not worth the pain"

And remember, Brad's argument wasn't just that DOTA 2 was GOTY Number 1 that year, it's that the game was objectively the best game of all time.

Even Jeff wasn't willing to appease that notion.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Oh hey question, on Mondays Vice gaming cast Austin mentioned Tycho and it seems like they had some issues with each other. Is there any specific event he was referring to?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Nevermind...no idea.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Aren't they doing some sort of RPG podcast together? Hopefully it is just some in character grudge.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Oh hey question, on Mondays Vice gaming cast Austin mentioned Tycho and it seems like they had some issues with each other. Is there any specific event he was referring to?

I haven't listened to it, but the two of them just guested on a Rollplay show together so I guess I doubt it?

Though to be fair G&T haven't always had the best relationship with the gaming press, or with more socially aware elements of video games.

admanb on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    I think the reason there hasn't been a Bradibuster has just been because the rest know that when Brad decides something "HAS to be at least on the list" that he'll drag the whole thing down for eternity because "Dota HAS TO BE ON THE LIST" so they just go "Fucking, fine, take the number 10 slot. It's not worth the pain"

And remember, Brad's argument wasn't just that DOTA 2 was GOTY Number 1 that year, it's that the game was objectively the best game of all time.

Even Jeff wasn't willing to appease that notion.

Brad arguing for DotA being the most innovative game had me in goddamn stitches

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The big one was Minerva's Den

Which granted was awhile ago now

over an hour long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXEwtbvT5_4

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I haven't listened to it, but the two of them just guested on a Rollplay show together so I guess I doubt it?

Though to be fair G&T haven't always had the best relationship with the gaming press, or with more socially aware elements of video games.

That might be it (Tycho went on a rant where he accused games journalists of saying Mad Max was a mediocre game just to get hits, instead of genuinely thinking it was a mediocre game.)

Tycho also apparently made a "Five Guys" joke during the game, which given PA's less than great history regarding that kind of thing (Their response to the dickwolves controversy, for example), one might be less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on what he was referencing there.

• Options
    No Austin made it seem like there was an issue between them before the RollPlay stream and he seemed kind of surprised the stream went ok, infact Austin apparently didn't know Tycho was going to be there.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ahh. He must've not known what the cast was gonna be until they announced it officially a few weeks ago.

I'm guessing he and Tycho got into it over one of the previously-mentioned issues, but I don't recall a specific incident.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    When does the game of the year discussion start?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Big Classy wrote: »
    When does the game of the year discussion start?

Sometime in early December. They typically get posted at the end of the year (Post-christmas to new years)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GotY is their thing to post daily while they're all out of the office the last week of the year

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That's also probably true. They priced it fairly appropriately for its objective content value, as opposed to the behemoth triple-A publicity hype machine that inflated NMS to stratospheric levels (as well as probably marketing cost)

Come to think of it, ReCore's actual overall trailer and publicity presence was comparatively meager

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Jeff does seem indeed high on Titanfall 2 but I don't know where anyone would get the impression it would overtake Doom

Do people not remember how insane they went for Doom

Jeff and Brad were practically giddy over it, with Titanfall Jeff just seems like he's actually satisfied with a fall shooter for once. But like, it doesn't sound too different to how he felt about Advanced Warfare a couple years ago

• Options
    Jeff does seem indeed high on Titanfall 2 but I don't know where anyone would get the impression it would overtake Doom

Jeff and Brad were practically giddy over it, with Titanfall Jeff just seems like he's actually satisfied with a fall shooter for once. But like, it doesn't sound too different to how he felt about Advanced Warfare a couple years ago

For what it's worth, Advanced Warfare was Jeff's top pick on his own list

• Options
    edited October 2016

Doom had an incredibly anemic multiplayer while Titanfall 2 sounds like it's the complete package.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

Doom had an incredibly anemic multiplayer while Titanfall 2 sounds like it's the complete package.

Yeah but they have dismissed MP modes before as "not counting/why you are there" so it's not really a mark on DOOM's record.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the competition for good multiplayer is Overwatch

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Doom's meh multiplayer takes away nothing from it's outstanding campaign.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

Yeah but they have dismissed MP modes before as "not counting/why you are there" so it's not really a mark on DOOM's record.

Yeah, they specifically said that the Doom MP doesn't matter to them either way. It's not gonna be a factor in GotY discussion.

• Options
    It's not about dinging Doom, it's about Titanfall 2 rising above because it (apparently) has both a really good campaign and a really good good multiplayer.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    By the way, Jeff flew to NYC last night, so he will potentially be on Waypoint launch stuff, and probably the Beastcast this week.

• Options
    Cool.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    It's not about dinging Doom, it's about Titanfall 2 rising above because it (apparently) has both a really good campaign and a really good good multiplayer.
    I feel you may be right just because Jeff himself puts so much focus on the multiplayer aspect of shooters (the campaign portion of the review reads almost like he's damning it with faint praise).

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Doom I'd imagine is still the best GOTY. Lots of people were expecting it to be okay and were concerned after the whole multiplayer demo on steam.

Doom took the whole FPS cover shooters with recharging health threw it a bin and then stomped on it.

The campaign was doom from beginning to end and it was on point with everything even with its new additions of upgrades and glory kills it all fitted.

It's definitely going to be on some of the crews list as number 1.

Hitman and stardew are going to get a mention I reckon.

• Options
    I'd still put money on Doom, I'm just not not as positive as I was a week ago.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    After reading jeffs review of Titan fall 2 I can see why that be the case.

Nostalgia aside Bethesda took something old, made it faithful but new and modern .

It was for me and I'm sure others the biggest surprise this year.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    I am so excited for Jeff on the East Coast. Gonna record a Bombcast, then fly East and record a Beastcast. Hardest working man in games journalism.

Maybe he just wants to hang out with the rappers that Waypoint/Vice are having on their stream.

Also I figure Overwatch gets some sort of Top X mention. Vinny loves it, Alex likes it, Dan loved it, Jason loved it too. Jeff went cold on it quick, and Brad never got into it, though.

I wonder how Hitman fares in GOTY stuff, because it feels like the more they play it the more they like it, but also the more they notice the shortcomings and flaws. It's especially simple with Jeff, who keeps waffling between "I should play this" to "Man, fuck this game" when stuff breaks.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Yeah overwatch is going to be up there no doubt.

Also I've literally just started playing hitman despite having the game in my library for ages but you can have serious fun with that game and I've not enjoyed a hitman as much since hitman 2.

It's not number one but Brad and Dan will have it on their lists I'm sure.

I'm just going to say we had some great games this year so I think it's going to be tough for them to decide.

• Options
    At least it's not the Shadow of Mordor year, I guess?

There's never been a better time to be playing video games. It just took...what, like 4 years into this generation?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    At least it's not the Shadow of Mordor year, I guess?

There's never been a better time to be playing video games. It just took...what, like 4 years into this generation?

That's not that unusual, really.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think Austin's pushing for Invisible, Inc stands out more than any of Brad's but he also actually had an argument ready and notes. Also, I think most of us like Austin way more than Brad.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I think Austin's pushing for Invisible, Inc stands out more than any of Brad's but he also actually had an argument ready and notes. Also, I think most of us like Austin way more than Brad.

When Brad does it, it feels like he's really saying "I know you don't agree with me, but fuck you I love it" while when Austin did it it felt like (and was presented as) "non of you played this, and it's amazing, and here's why."

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Austin just talked a lot about the game he liked and why he liked it and everyone else felt his argument was enough to put it on the list, since none of them had played it.

Contrast this with Destiny, where EVERYONE except for Brad, Jeff and Vinny HATED that game. Vinny hadn't played it and Jeff kept flip-flopping between "there's something to it" and "this game is such an utter disappointment." Brad literally wouldn't let it go and Vinny had to finally step in and basically go "Let's just give it to him so we can move on."

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    #ImWithBrad

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Aw jeeze is it really goty talk time already? Didn't we just do this last... uh... oh god where did 2016 go?

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Aw jeeze is it really goty talk time already? Didn't we just do this last... uh... oh god where did 2016 go?

US Presidential Election ate it.

• Options
    By the way, Jeff flew to NYC last night, so he will potentially be on Waypoint launch stuff, and probably the Beastcast this week.

vibrating dolphin.gif

This discussion has been closed.