Options

[DAWN OF WAR] Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III ANNOUNCED

• Options
    imdointhisimdointhis I should actually stop doin' this. Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/unit-spotlight-wraithlord

You've seen our Wraithguard, and then our Wraithbladesabd Wraithknights, and now here's pur spotlight on our mighty Wraithlord! We're all in on ghost robots here in Vantown.

Check out his Glaive Charge ability.

https://www.dawnofwar.com/article/unit-spotlight-wraithlord

we all appreciate the anime dragging blade against ground move.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    iZIt2Xhh.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    DreadBert wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    I've never particularly liked(or been good at) pure RTS games, so swapping back to the previous RTS style for... reasons, doesn't really do it for me either. My hope this far into development is simply that there will at least be something like The Last Stand in 3 that will appeal to those of us who preferred 2's style, so there will at least be some more tangible appeal to me than looking at screenshots of the spaceman game that I'm no good at playing.

For the life of me I can't understand why RTS game designers in our glorious new age of modern design can't just give players an option for automating the parts of the game they don't want to manage.

I don't really like (most) of the micro, but I love base building. Let me build the base & turn on an AI to handle the battles (mostly), until / unless I switch off the AI to take control for whatever reason.

Lots of players don't like the base building but love the battle micro. Let them turn on an AI to handle the base building while they play with their mans out on the battlefield.

This shouldn't even be hard to implement; the AI is already fucking right there in the game. I have no clue why it is that no designer has said, "Maybe this is a thing we could use to give players options as to what parts of the game to play vs which to automate. Or they can just turn it all off if they want to be hardcore & do everything themselves."

But...that's the game? The balance of both is what makes it fun and challenging. It would be like building an aimbot into an FPS as an option.

One thing I loved about starcraft 1 was the mode that gave you shared control. One could focus on base/logistics while other focused on offensive micro.

The fun thing is that all three versions of the RTS game that have been talked about have been created already, more or less.
    If you like building bases and watching waves of enemies break upon your carefully positioned defenses, you've got the Tower Defense genre.
    If you don't like building bases, but just want that done so you can go out with an army and kill the other army, then the exciting MOBA world awaits (with the unfortunate downside of other people, but there's some single player modes out there).
    If you like the balance of both, then you've got the baseline RTS.

One think I liked about last DoW2 expansion was being able to pick between hero units or just rolling out with a horde.

No reason a rts can't do both, freaking starcraft in 96' had elaborate scripting and map building and pretty much gave birth to tower/moba.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I'm reinstalling the first dawn of war. Hope it holds up... I'll know in another five or six hours when steam finishes downloading it.

Hooray for living in the boonies! No neighbors, no noise, no traffic, and no reliable internet.

• Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    The starcraft sharing-the-same-mechanic was dope and should be a thing. Like, there are (too few) strategy team/coop games, but there's very few if any with very close cooperation. I'm talking my machine gun is covering your squad amounts of cooperation, not my army is over here doing this thing while your army is over there.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    The starcraft sharing-the-same-mechanic was dope and should be a thing. Like, there are (too few) strategy team/coop games, but there's very few if any with very close cooperation. I'm talking my machine gun is covering your squad amounts of cooperation, not my army is over here doing this thing while your army is over there.

Did you ever play the DoW 2 campaign coop? It's pretty much that, with Player 1 controlling the FC and a squad while Player 2 controls two other squads.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    yea DOW2 coop was pretty great. My best friend controlled the force commander and then the assault squad or the dreadnaught while I controlled Tarkus and Avitus.
    He basically charged and smashed everything while I had a totally in sync fire and maneuver element

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »

Did you ever play the DoW 2 campaign coop? It's pretty much that, with Player 1 controlling the FC and a squad while Player 2 controls two other squads.

I did. It was glorious for what it was and I totally want more of the same general idea.

It got a bit thin with time though and I didn´t feel the same heart for the expansion campaigns. A bit samey and grindey I guess. It was fun that the hardest difficulty was pretty brutal, but it also made enemies ultra tanky and the balance of stuff got very off.

Me going tanky Tarkus squad in the first campaign made for an amazing first play though.

But hey I´m one of those guys who loves coop and challenge, I´d love more tactical/RPGey/strategic stuff with coop multiplayer...

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any mod recommendations for the original DoW? I have the GOTY edition and Winter Assault but not Soulstorm.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any mod recommendations for the original DoW? I have the GOTY edition and Winter Assault but not Soulstorm.

I've gotten a lot out of Dark Crusade Platinum

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    iZIt2Xhh.jpg

Look at these skulls,
    Aren't they neat?
    Wouldn't you think that my skull-throne's complete?
    Wouldn't you think I'm the girl, who's got all the blood?

• Options
    And then Ursula comes in as Nurgle singing Poor, Unfortunate Souls only completely sincerely.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    this is actually confirmation that ariel is head antagonist chaos space marine in dow3

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    InControl did a playthrough of an Eldar mission.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqkCcoJgXzE

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    Here's another playthrough without commentary.

https://youtu.be/-OvfwYUA9os

And here's a version with commentary from polycoubt and our creatove director.

https://youtu.be/Hk27k6hfxRA

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I need to become a streamer, and then pander pander pander enough to get a fanbase so I can get early access to some games. I wouldn't be ethical, either. You give me a game I want to try before release, I'll say good things about it all day long.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    I need to become a streamer, and then pander pander pander enough to get a fanbase so I can get early access to some games. I wouldn't be ethical, either. You give me a game I want to try before release, I'll say good things about it all day long.

The key is emotes. Gotta double down on the emotes. If your emotes are meme-y enough you can just pull a Moonmoon and gain basically overnight popularity off of them. Even if your actual content is kinda meh, you'll get scores of people subscribing just for the meme-iest emotes around. At that point you can throw your sub numbers at some devs and say "ey lemme covr yuor game!!1"

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

The key is emotes. Gotta double down on the emotes. If your emotes are meme-y enough you can just pull a Moonmoon and gain basically overnight popularity off of them. Even if your actual content is kinda meh, you'll get scores of people subscribing just for the meme-iest emotes around. At that point you can throw your sub numbers at some devs and say "ey lemme covr yuor game!!1"

pls throw no shade at moonmoon the man is a tireless worker in the meme mines

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Mention of Rhonan (from the Retribution campaign) at the start: Still hints HEAVILY at Necrons.

• Options
    Its Ronahn. ;)

• Options
    It's time for da boyz! 'Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ERE WE GO!

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/12/15/dawn-of-war-3-ork-faction-reveal-ign-first

• Options
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    hoping for a Bluddflagg DLC

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
  • Options
    everything leaves a wreck

orks can loot all wrecks

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Paul Leonard-Morgan has absolutely nailed the soundtrack.

You guys really should just pre-render the gameplay footage though, there's some pretty glaring slowdown in the final encounter.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    so much dakka in that video

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    so much dakka in that video

U wot mate? NEVA ENUFF DAKKA!

EDIT:
    altid wrote: »
    Paul Leonard-Morgan has absolutely nailed the soundtrack.

Yeah he's done a pretty freaking awesome job matching the race to the theme.

Some late stage battle music shaping up:

https://www.facebook.com/PaulLeonardMorg/videos/1177327389023893/

subedii on
  • Options
    PLM is a delight.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    http://ca.ign.com/videos/2016/12/16/dawn-of-war-3-heroes-factions-and-killer-cinematics

Feature on DoW3 cut-scenes. spoiler: trademark relic moving paintings.

Matrias on
  • Options
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    "Morks," if you will.

• Options
    "Morks," if you will.

Ah, the god of brutal kunnin'.

Or iz it kunnin' brutality?

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Boycott Dawn of War until they bring back Captain Frosted Tips from Dawn of War 2.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Boycott Dawn of War until they bring back Captain Frosted Tips from Dawn of War 2.

I would actually love to see Force Commander Vanilla Ice back.

I don't know why they reused Gabriel. Gabriel doesn't even sound or fight the same so he might as well be a new character.

Edit: also looking at some of those screenshots in the ork rundown on the site, if the point of the art direction (which I don't have a problem with) is to make the action clearer, they might have failed because I have trouble seeing what's going on in that ork vs eldar pic.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    @Matrias
    I think Relic needs to add an Ariel based Khorne character now.

also, I feel a little bad for all those poor banshees that run into the buzz saws of the killer kans / killa koptas. Just a little.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Edit: also looking at some of those screenshots in the ork rundown on the site, if the point of the art direction (which I don't have a problem with) is to make the action clearer, they might have failed because I have trouble seeing what's going on in that ork vs eldar pic.

I'd mostly be happy if it just ran smoothly. I mean I love DoW2 but good lord that's one of the least optimized engines I've ever seen in my life. I have to do my own kind of praying to the machine spirit half the time.

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I'm still keen to find out what engine they're actually using. I don't think there has been any official statement on that?
    Normally I'd have assumed Essence since it's Relic's proprietary engine, but as the game doesn't seem to use any of the features Essence was developed around it could just as easily be something else.

altid on
  • Options
    altid wrote: »
    I'm still keen to find out what engine they're actually using. I don't think there has been any official statement on that?
    Normally I'd have assumed Essence since it's Relic's proprietary engine, but as the game doesn't seem to use any of the features Essence was developed around it could just as easily be something else.
    It's the latest version of Essence.

it does all the old stuff and new stuff.