As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Clash Royale] Join the clan, we need your crowns!

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I bought a couple of the special offer things for leveling up for a couple bucks, but just got one that is $7, and not sure if I want to spend that much. Is it a really good value for a super magical chest, 500 gems, and 1000 gold?

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    @chuck steak 500 gems costs $5 US, a super magical chest costs somewhere between 1600 and 4600 gems depending on what arena you're on. Given you said it's a super magical chest and 1000 gold that would mean you're probably arena 5 so the arena 5 pack should costs $4.99 US.

So that means you're buying the gems for $5/7 and you're getting a super magical chest which at Arena 5 costs 3100 gems. So yes it's a very good deal. From what I've seen all the arena reward packs are a good deal for the money

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I spent $9.99 on the SMC, 500 gems, and 100k gold. Allowed me to get most of my cards to near or at tournament standard. The gems bought me new card releases from the special fees in the store.

For $10 bucks it was worth it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    500 gems costs $5 US, a super magical chest costs somewhere between 1600 and 4600 gems depending on what arena you're on. Given you said it's a super magical chest and 1000 gold that would mean you're probably arena 5 so the arena 5 pack should costs $4.99 US.

So that means you're buying the gems for $5/7 and you're getting a super magical chest which at Arena 5 costs 3100 gems. So yes it's a very good deal. From what I've seen all the arena reward packs are a good deal for the money

I don't mind spending some money on it, since I'm sure I'll be playing it for a while, so I'll stick with buying these Arena packs. And ya it's for Arena 5, which of course costs $2 more in Canada.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I spent $9.99 on the SMC, 500 gems, and 100k gold. Allowed me to get most of my cards to near or at tournament standard. The gems bought me new card releases from the special fees in the store.

For $10 bucks it was worth it.

When I started playing again I went from like arena 4 to 7 pretty quick and I bought all the offers so that was a pretty quick amount of money to put into the game but it gave me a ton of what I needed to play

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    When you get to the top two or three arenas, they offer a really crazy deal with an SMC+gems (1000? I forget)+ 100k gold for $10.

you only get those offers once, and it is pretty much the only place I've put money into this game. 100k gold is absolutely needed to level up stuff in the upper arenas too :(

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    Durinia wrote: »
    When you get to the top two or three arenas, they offer a really crazy deal with an SMC+gems (1000? I forget)+ 100k gold for $10.

you only get those offers once, and it is pretty much the only place I've put money into this game. 100k gold is absolutely needed to level up stuff in the upper arenas too :(

Yeah getting the 100k gold is great, you can even save up some of the gold to be able to buy a legendary in the gold shop as well. I'm hoping I hit Arena 8 this week.

• Options
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I'm gonna update the OP with a whole slew of information about CR to get newer players into and streamline your ladder climbing.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Hey Penny Arcade clan guys, just a heads up that the Clan chest is live and it's only around for 3 days not 7. So if you would be so kind as to get us some crowns for some sweeter rewards that would be great. While the new chest only gives you half the time, it does require half the chests. From what I've read if we had a full clan we'd each need about 10 crowns a day to get the highest level chest. We aren't close to full but if you could help out that would be great.

• Options
    There's a little under 14 hours left for the clan chest. We're doing quite well (level 6) if you're in the Penny Arcade clan you'll get the chest as long as you put in one crown so even if you don't play much it might be in your best interest to chip in before midnight eastern tonight.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Level 7 chest FTW!

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The Drafting Tournament is back. Such fun. We can play draft Freindly battles in the clan chat.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    snfwluhq2133.png
    Oh yeah legendary chest. Which I'm sure contains a flappy bird laser, the only legendary I currently own

• Options
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Great video, nice to see a reasonable nerf for EB.

Ice Wizard in my legendary so hooray for no duplicate!

• Options
    OP updated with a lot of new player information. I imagine it's mostly obvious to long-time players, but couldn't hurt to check out. I'll add more after a much-needed break.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I am so happy about the EB nerf.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Saving up for Executioner club checking innnnn.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    Durinia wrote: »
    Saving up for Executioner club checking innnnn.

I'd just like to get to Arena 9 :/

Though I like just playing with fun cards and doing weird stuff. Bowler is way to much fun to use

• Options
    Things sure start to get tougher when you get to Arena 7. Got to six in my first few days pretty easily, but have been hovering between 6 and 7 for a while now. Not sure if need better cards or get better at making decks.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Things sure start to get tougher when you get to Arena 7. Got to six in my first few days pretty easily, but have been hovering between 6 and 7 for a while now. Not sure if need better cards or get better at making decks.

I've been stuck at 7 for a while. I hit 8 and then drop back to 7. I just got a winning streak so hopefully I can hit 9.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    While climbing, I found that you'll do a lot of one arena into another (climb to 7, fall to 6, climb again, etc) until either you level up a key card or get a higher crown tower level. That persistent 10% damage and health buff is huge over the course of a game.

BTW, just surpassed 4k trophies today! w00t!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I really wish there was a good hearthpwn type site for clash. I watch videos and stuff but I like actually seeing written discussion on decks instead of 5 seconds of introduction and then watching someone play 5 games. I usually feel like I'm flying blind during deck building

• Options
    I really wish there was a good hearthpwn type site for clash. I watch videos and stuff but I like actually seeing written discussion on decks instead of 5 seconds of introduction and then watching someone play 5 games. I usually feel like I'm flying blind during deck building

I'm kind of liking that about it, I'm having fun experimenting and coming up with my own decks. In Hearthstone if I don't netdeck I'm not getting anywhere near rank 10 (what I aim for each month).

• Options
    With 8 card slots compared to 30, you can find synergy fairly easily. Usually 4-5 cards are your core theme and the other cards act as support or meta inclusions.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I'm kind of liking that about it, I'm having fun experimenting and coming up with my own decks. In Hearthstone if I don't netdeck I'm not getting anywhere near rank 10 (what I aim for each month).

That's what I like about hearthpwn. I can find all sorts of random ideas for decks. I don't care if I lose I care if it does something rad

With 8 card slots compared to 30, you can find synergy fairly easily. Usually 4-5 cards are your core theme and the other cards act as support or meta inclusions.

Yeah there are but I like seeing people's random wombo combo ideas that I might not come up with

• Options
    Good point. CR does a nice job of cataloging your recent games so you can see the decks of your opponent. At least you can easily copy/paste their deck if you found it fun and silly.

And all hail the EB nerf. It's not much, but I've seen the difference when using my Valkyrie in defense. She now either trades with them both completely, or lives with a sliver of health. Before that was a guaranteed death and maybe I'd avoid a swing on my tower.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Good point. CR does a nice job of cataloging your recent games so you can see the decks of your opponent. At least you can easily copy/paste their deck if you found it fun and silly.

And all hail the EB nerf. It's not much, but I've seen the difference when using my Valkyrie in defense. She now either trades with them both completely, or lives with a sliver of health. Before that was a guaranteed death and maybe I'd avoid a swing on my tower.

Yeah I really enjoy that about clash, and being able to see their hand when watching a playback. It's a very nice educational tool to have.

Also what's the counter for sparky? I keep seeing everyone say he's super easy to counter but when it's backed up by a wizard or something it wrecks shit.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Yeah I really enjoy that about clash, and being able to see their hand when watching a playback. It's a very nice educational tool to have.

Also what's the counter for sparky? I keep seeing everyone say he's super easy to counter but when it's backed up by a wizard or something it wrecks shit.

Anything that can surround the Sparky is a good counter. Or just zap it then drop a hard hitting unit.

I personally love dropping Giant Skeleton right in front of it and watching it (and its support) blow up. But Giant Skeleton is my jam for lots of things.

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    The best counter to Sparky is to not let it get backed up by anything in the first place. When your opponent drops Sparky in one lane (generally almost always back behind their towers), use that as your opening to put as much pressure as you can immediately apply to their other lane (as quickly as posisble), while either holding on to or cycling to one or two of your Sparky counters (usually Zap plus something that will kill it quickly as it passes the bridge). You want to put a credible threat on the other lane so that your opponent will have to spend elixir to counter it and thus deny them elixir to support Sparky. A Sparky without support is a very easily countered Sparky.

Done right, this turns a Sparky drop right back onto the player that dropped it. Do they want to ignore the threat in the other lane and support their Sparky drop and probably lose that tower and hope to trade, or break up their drops, take tower damage, and probably completely lose their Sparky? That dilemma is why Sparky is considered easily countered, as it is generally an option for decks of pretty much any configuration.

• Options
    I'm guessing a legendary chest for 500 gems is a no brainer right? Also got a legendary chest going that unlocks tonight. Hope they are good ones!

• Options
    I'm guessing a legendary chest for 500 gems is a no brainer right? Also got a legendary chest going that unlocks tonight. Hope they are good ones!

I got one in my shop yesterday as well (electro wizard woo!) I pretty much saved all of my gems for legendary chests and buying cards with gems (which isn't going to happen since I'm not arena 9 yet)

• Options
    Electro Wizard! (is he good?)

A "fortune offer" just popped up as well. $14 for super magical chest and 1200 gems is the most expensive option. Doesn't feel like an amazing deal. Might have to get the 80 gems and 10k gold for $1.40 though, cause i'm under 1000 gold right now.

These motherfuckers have got me hooked, and I'm going to end up spending a lot more money on this than I originally thought I might.

• Options
    Electro Wizard! (is he good?)

A "fortune offer" just popped up as well. $14 for super magical chest and 1200 gems is the most expensive option. Doesn't feel like an amazing deal. Might have to get the 80 gems and 10k gold for $1.40 though, cause i'm under 1000 gold right now.

These motherfuckers have got me hooked, and I'm going to end up spending a lot more money on this than I originally thought I might.

The special deals are usually good. Basically they sell you the gems for whatever gems cost and everything else you get with them are "free" So if you're getting a super magical chest that costs a ton in gems. Again if you don't want to spend the money totally understandable but you can derive the value by seeing how much the gems alone cost, how much it would be to purchase the super magical chest with the gems and how much it would cost to buy the gold as well.

• Options
    Well, looks like I'm done. Just deleted the app from my devices. I played for almost a year and got quite a bit of enjoyment of it, but have finally become bored with the game. I'm at the point where the grind is super long and decks have become bland.

Time to promote someone else to co-leader. My watch is over.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Shit and here passing you full authority was the only reason I still hadn't deleted it myself

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    MNC nooooooo

• Options
    Well, looks like I'm done. Just deleted the app from my devices. I played for almost a year and got quite a bit of enjoyment of it, but have finally become bored with the game. I'm at the point where the grind is super long and decks have become bland.

You're enthusiasm is part of what got me into this game, and convince me that it's a game worth getting into and sticking with. Now I'm starting to think the $20 I put into the game was a waste and ultimately only misery awaits me. Thank god I didn't spend any more today like I was going to, because now it looks like only misery awaits us all.

• Options

You're enthusiasm is part of what got me into this game, and convince me that it's a game worth getting into and sticking with. Now I'm starting to think the $20 I put into the game was a waste and ultimately only misery awaits me. Thank god I didn't spend any more today like I was going to, because now it looks like only misery awaits us all.

Personal opinion but

I think MNC burned out because he focused on levelling cards and playing a single deck. I don't think he ever deviated from hogfecta and was constantly talking about how many of a card he needed. At that point it's a job.

I still have fun with this game and have been playing as long as him but I don't really focus on levelling cards. Yeah I level the stuff when I can and ask for what I need but it's a side focus. My main fun comes from playing new strategies, coming up with fun combos, and in general ruining people who are running the current meta decks.

Find your fun in the game and it should last you a very very long time, imo.