Options

[Preacher]? I hardly know her! (Spoiler rules in OP)

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Can I get a few questions cleared up? As someone with zero knowledge of the source material there are several things (mostly about the plane scene and some big picture stuff) I didn't follow (or more likely I just missed the answers).
    Why did Cassidy start going nuts on the plane? Was the bible a trigger? I was having a difficult time with his accent at first (the more I heard him the easier it got, but this was his first scene). I'm pretty sure he mentioned who/what the other guys were there for, but I missed that part too.

Are the things inside Cassidy & Jesse the same? I guess I'm assuming there's something similar in Cassidy, maybe not? Are Cassidy & Jesse on the same side? For that matter, are there "sides"? And if so, is Jesse on the "good" side or is this one of those things where the good-guys aren't really all that good?

If the answer to any of those questions is a spoiler for a later reveal, please just say so. Thanks.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Cassidy is literally a vampire, the bible was an indication the people on the plane were going to try and kill him, they are most likely from Grail a holy organization that opposes the protagonists in the comics.

Jesse at the end has something inside of him completely different, you'll have to wait to see how the show explains it, but he's not at all like Cassidy. His fighting ability from the comics is because he was raised by shitty awful people.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Cassidy is literally a vampire, the bible was an indication the people on the plane were going to try and kill him, they are most likely from Grail a holy organization that opposes the protagonists in the comics.

Jesse at the end has something inside of him completely different, you'll have to wait to see how the show explains it, but he's not at all like Cassidy. His fighting ability from the comics is because he was raised by shitty awful people.

Guess that explains the cow. lol

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Yeah pretty much in the comics...

He can regenerate from most things given time, or faster if he drinks blood, hence the cow. Only sunlight can kill him, well sunlight and another character in the comics.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Can I get a few questions cleared up? As someone with zero knowledge of the source material there are several things (mostly about the plane scene and some big picture stuff) I didn't follow (or more likely I just missed the answers).
    Why did Cassidy start going nuts on the plane? Was the bible a trigger? I was having a difficult time with his accent at first (the more I heard him the easier it got, but this was his first scene). I'm pretty sure he mentioned who/what the other guys were there for, but I missed that part too.

Are the things inside Cassidy & Jesse the same? I guess I'm assuming there's something similar in Cassidy, maybe not? Are Cassidy & Jesse on the same side? For that matter, are there "sides"? And if so, is Jesse on the "good" side or is this one of those things where the good-guys aren't really all that good?

If the answer to any of those questions is a spoiler for a later reveal, please just say so. Thanks.
    The Bible was the trigger. Cassidy's had dealings with these guys before - says as much in a couple lines of dialogue - so he recognized their brand of crazy in the scribbles. There's one verse in particular they focused the camera on, so he probably recognized the significance. I didn't from the source material, but it seemed like the kind of thing that would come up again. The fact that the plane was heading into the sun instead of going toward Vegas confirmed it.

Cassidy's a vampire. Jesse's power is entirely different and unique. What exactly it is is the kind of spoiler that they'll probably save for a huge reveal at some point. While there are several clues in the episode, I don't think you'd be able to piece them together without more information, but it will make for a fun rewatch down the line.

Cassidy and Jesse are definitely friends, and Jesse is overall a "good" guy for the relative definitions of good in the setting. There are definitely sides, but the comic setup is "trio of flawed protagonists on the run for their lives from multiple groups of powerful assholes" more than "war between good and evil."

Don't know if the show will follow suit. It seems to be setting up the Texas town as the center of events at the moment, and I don't know if that will change as the season progresses. Notably, this is already a source of contention among fans of the comic.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Well that was pretty boring. Found myself alt-tabbing at times, which is something I never do. Cassidy was great to watch, but not enough to bring me back for another episode.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Re: Cassidy and sunlight

Wasn't he in the sun when he landed from the plane?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

He can regenerate from most things given time, or faster if he drinks blood, hence the cow. Only sunlight can kill him, well sunlight and another character in the comics.
    Wasn't the cow scene in the daylight?

• Options

I can only asssume he wasn't in direct sunlight. Cassidy can survive not direct exposure, like in the church.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2016
    Oh, forgot about that very minor cosmetic change to Cassidy from the comics:
    He wore sunglasses all the time in the comics because he had fucked up eyes. That would probably look a bit too silly in the show, and whatshisface is great at making crazy eyes.

Echo on
  • Options

I can only asssume he wasn't in direct sunlight. Cassidy can survive not direct exposure, like in the church.
    He's in the shade in both scenes. When he exposes his hand to direct sunlight, he catches fire. Even then, his reaction makes it look like he's got some lag time before he goes from catching on fire to burning to ash.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Were Jesse and Cassidy supposed to have known each other? I thought they met for the first time in the bar, but maybe I missed something.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Were Jesse and Cassidy supposed to have known each other? I thought they met for the first time in the bar, but maybe I missed something.

For the show it definitely looked like first meeting. Cassidy said something about helping Jesse because he didn't like the odds or something.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular

Even though the endless cornfield was stupid.

I thought they were playing it straight.

Cornfields are actually very often gigantic.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Plus they were zigzagging around.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Corn fields can go on for literally miles out on the flatlands.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Kansas is surreal. You can drive for hours and never leave the cornfield.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    oh i'm not saying it was stupid because of the size.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Kansas is surreal. You can drive for hours and never leave the cornfield.

We used to drag race in them.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I don't know if people might be interested in this article in the guardian as it might give some clues with regards to how things might change between this tv series and the comic?

comic spoilers
    does the fact that they're bumping odin quincannon up to this season mean that we are soon to experience meat woman

i do like meat woman

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Caught up with the pilot. I liked its rhythms... quiet dialogue scenes of small town depression interspersed with ridiculous action and a few Ennis sick jokes. Cassidy is fun. I pretty much liked all the main characters, I just want more from them.

It's fun to read this thread, since I barely remember the comic and the various characters y'all have mentioned ring faint, disturbing bells.

I probably won't revisit the comic until after this first season, to give the show it's due. I think it could end up being quite good.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    jalokjalok Registered User regular
    Aside from anything Cassidy related, the one single thing I noticed and liked was just a second or two in the bar scene. Once Jesse starts doing his thing there is this one slowed spot where the camera lets us see this slight smile on his face; he may or may not want to be the type of person he was before, but part of him REALLY likes letting go for a bit.

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Alright, caught the pilot. So again, not having read any of the comics, I think that was a pretty fantastic pilot and I'm definitely geared up to keep watching the rest of the season unless the quality drops dramatically. Considering pilots are usually the low point for a new series, I don't expect I'll be bailing on the show anytime soon.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    As someone who's aware of, but never read, the comics, I sat down to watch Preacher last night on Amazon.

I am thoroughly hooked. Cassidy is an instant favourite for me, and it was nice to see Ruth Negga's range after watching her in S.H.I.E.L.D.

EDIT: I just noticed that Jessie and Tulip are King and Queen Wrynn in Warcraft.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    As someone who has no familiarity with the comic, and thus no expectations or baggage going in, I thought it was a fantastic pilot.

Which isn't to say it's perfect, but it gave me exactly what I needed to know about the tone and feel of the show, introduced the players in a way that made me want to know more about them, and suggested some directions in which the plot might unfold.

There were some pacing issues and some rough patches in the dialogue, but whatever, it's a pilot. It's expected to have some flaws. But it made me want to know more and see where the story goes, and I could watch Ruth Negga be awesome all day long. Best character intro I've seen in ages.

So yeah, I'm firmly on board.

I've seen people complaining that it's not a road trip show, but that could very well be for budgetary reasons. Keeping your sets handy has gotta save some major bucks. I think this show might kind of annoy people who want a more faithful translation, judging by initial feedback, but whatever. I hope it does well, because Not Howard Stark and Not Flower Girl are great and deserve a show.

I'm pretty sure that even people who liked Preacher are hoping for a less-than-faithful translation. There's a lot of great stuff in there but also a lot of stuff that should be left out both to preserve our nostalgia and also to not embarrass us before those who never read it when they turn to us and say "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    As someone who's aware of, but never read, the comics, I sat down to watch Preacher last night on Amazon.

I am thoroughly hooked. Cassidy is an instant favourite for me, and it was nice to see Ruth Negga's range after watching her in S.H.I.E.L.D.

EDIT: I just noticed that Jessie and Tulip are King and Queen Wrynn in Warcraft.

Wait who was she on Shie....
    oh holy shit I didn't make the connection till now.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Just based on general new show dynamics, I'm kind of expecting the next episode to be a little meh. It tends to happen a lot. The characters still haven't quite developed their chemistry, the writers are still figuring out the rhythm, and the second episode doesn't get the same level of attention as the pilot, so it comes off kind of weak.

I always get my hopes up, so I'm trying to temper that.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Highlights for me:
    Cassidy turning his assailant into a blood dispenser;

The look of adoration on that kids face as Tulip leaves;

Jessie's smirk while dishing out beatings;

'Tom Cruise has exploded!'.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Is it worth my pointing out, that the guy who played Cassidy, was also in a UK TV show called Misfits (series 3-5)? I think so anyway, because I thought Misfits was generally quite good.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options

Is it worth my pointing out, that the guy who played Cassidy, was also in a UK TV show called Misfits (series 3-5)? I think so anyway, because I thought Misfits was generally quite good.

Also worth pointing out, Ruth Negga was on Misfits and was quite good. Same for the dude who plays Ramsey Bolton over on Game of Thrones.

Misfits is a good show worth watching.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Also worth pointing out, Ruth Negga was on Misfits and was quite good. Same for the dude who plays Ramsey Bolton over on Game of Thrones.

Misfits is a good show worth watching.

I loved Misfits - some really whacky and out there ideas.

Also a realistic take on what would happen if people actually got powers - or at least, a power crappy power that you can't find a way to make money off...

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    So, what are theories about
    The explosions, and in particular why has Jessie not exploded yet?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    My personal theory about what happened to the other zealots/faithful/preachers was that they were not sincere in their beliefs.
    Alternately, they were sincere in their beliefs, but they had been led astray by false translations / were not following the true religion.

Also, personal vote to change thread title to "Like a rabbit caught in a bear trap"

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    I think it speaks more to their one sided nature. One was a faith preacher in Africa, another a Satanist in Europe and then Tom Cruz. Devout one sided people.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    So, what are theories about
    The explosions, and in particular why has Jessie not exploded yet?
    I think the Preacher in Africa illustrated it the best - the people who popped did not seem to have any doubt or reservations, and perhaps an excess of hubris, all of which ended up being a VERY bad combination when invested by the entity.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think it speaks more to their one sided nature. One was a faith preacher in Africa, another a Satanist in Europe and then Tom Cruz. Devout one sided people.
    if they're keeping the origin of Genesis from the comics the same, then it makes sense that it wouldn't fit well in someone who wasn't conflicted

• Options
    I'm thinking we may want to go the Walking Dead thread route of clearly labeling comic spoilers. We cool with that?

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Sorry, I think I blacked out. I was doing a shot every time someone called Jessie "Preacher." I missed the last hour of the premiere. :P

Well, that's one way to deal with all the macho bullshit from the comic
    Jessie's dad wasn't a Reverend.

Also, I know it's kind of a brand name, but "Talking Preacher"? That really sounds dumb. Why not "Preach On" or "Testify" or something?

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Same thing with them going with "Talking Saul" - "Better Talk Saul" is right there!

• Options
    Because AMC has a schtick and they follow it.

pleasepaypreacher.net