Options

Webcomics changed my life

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    ttam1gq8jzz0.jpg
    After ten years, I think I'm okay admitting I might never figure out how to draw the damn dinosaur's head right.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    1465978513-1.jpg
    Whenever people ask me if anything 'surprised' me about Japan, this is usually my answer. I'm not sure I ever saw what we would think of as a 'normal' bar in Kurihara. It was all Snack Bars. I only ever want to one alone once, and it was a very strange and expensive evening. It ended when I saw one of the ladies take some money out of the wallet of a passed out patron and then call him a cab. You knew this was not the first time they had this interaction. Seemed like a good time to head home.

Let's Speak English

Edit: Apparently she was... misinformed by her coworkers what "nijikai" meant, here's the original:
    1465976833-1.jpg

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Narbonic - D-Con: March 25 - 30, 2002
    jb7z6qwv76zz.jpg
    vx9gbp4am286.jpg
    0g412ehqg5v5.jpg
    m1wvbba9y4lv.jpg
    psa1lw62jeis.jpg
    fa73q2nxytwg.jpg

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    ayyyy it a shockwave! good job par lay!

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Eardrum

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Eardrum

inner_ear.gif

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    One Punch Man is read right to left.
    |Previous Chapter | Index | Current Chapter| [NSFW]
    Neveron wrote: »
    IV6cYTp.jpg
    RTkRz9x.jpg
    2PgfHpe.jpg
    VjL4Hov.jpg
    bJurpow.jpg
    p8rJoc8.jpg
    xYg47IZ.jpg

And on that bombshell, here's a Q&A bonus chapter that ONE made. FIND OUT MORE IN THE VOLUMES, AVAILABLE AT VIZ MEDIA'S ONLINE STORE

Sources and links:
    |JP webcomic c.1-107|ENG webcomic c.1-90 (91-107 are available on other unlinkable places)|(2 NSFW pages)
    Chapters 1-3 translated by El_Thor, 4-27 by Boon (and for four panels PA's Cantide and for one PA's Winder) and edited by me, 28-30 by El_Thor yet again, and 31 onwards by someone who shall remain anonymous since I don't know who they are.

|JP Manga c.1-5, 15-59|ENG Manga c.1-40|
    |Anime: Daisuki, Hulu|
    The next webcomic post is probably read left to right.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I fucking knew it.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    We all knew it. It was the only answer possible.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i knew it because ive already read it

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    8ghztqt4c0y7.png
    The purple wheelie bins in today's comic may seem a little too regal to be real, but we have a purple wheelie bin and we didn't have to pay extra or nothing. Sincerely, HRH John Allison Duke Of Rutland.

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Black Adder is the only reason I know about Rutland.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Do they uh

Have a lot of sex there?

Or just super shitty roads?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    penny arcade used to be about video game jokes, now it's about middle aged father jokes

i-VsNcMmQ-2100x20000.jpg

deal with it!

As a middle aged father, I'm ok with that.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I think she's cushioning her fall rather than making a shockwave

nope we are moments away from the entirety of gunnerkrigg court being fucking leveled to the ground

:winky:

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they are not critiquing Kratos' parenting method in respect to the newest God of War.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    WON92.jpg

KILL

SIX

BILLION

... oh dang

that is a bit disturbing

Are those the girls that she hitchhiked up to the castle with?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    WON92.jpg

KILL

SIX

BILLION

... oh dang

that is a bit disturbing

Are those the girls that she hitchhiked up to the castle with?

Yep, see the insect lady?

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Oh my god the fucking fruit.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    jvjgh5g5r9ka.png
    Later, walking out of jail after posting $10,000 bail: "Wait, this isn't the street the county jail is on."

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Am I the only person who mentally replaced Parley with Ronnie in this GK after panel 6?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    In the continuing saga of Jason Shiga: lauded by the real world, despite the plot of Demon having had some, um, issues in its latter portions:
    I’m Moving to France!

Welp, it’s official. I can now announce it to the world… This summer I’ll be moving to Angouleme, the comics/animation capital of France. Long story short, our family was recently accepted to the artist in residence program for one year! For those of you who don’t know, the Maison des Auteurs Residency accepts cartoonists, illustrators and animators to the city, sets them up with studio space, amenities and sometimes even a place to live for anywhere from a few months to a few years.

I’m taking the one year option myself, and during that year, I’m planning to design and pencil my most ambitious project to date. “The Box” will be a 500 page interactive comic, similar to “Meanwhile…” but 7 times larger and for adults. It’s hard to describe but it’s half “escape room” and half maze. It’s themes are memory, reality and what it means to live life. There’s going to be about 1000 tabs in the book so I’m hoping someone will want to publish it, cause if I’m cutting those tabs by hand there might just be 2-3 copies of “The Box” out there in the world.

I have to admit, I’m still not exactly sure what’s in it for France. They’re setting me up with an apartment, a studio, a school for Kazuo. And in return I’m going to write my moonshot comic… because I can. But I guess that’s France for you. I like to kid, but the more I learn about French culture, the more it sounds like the way I would organize a society and they way I would want my son Kazuo to think about the world he lives in. In France, comics are seen as more than just pop culture but as an art form that’s deserving of public support. Preschool doesn’t cost $1000/month like it does over here. It’s thought of like a public service and is offered free to everyone. Same with medical care. After a lifetime of living in America, it’s hard to wrap my mind around the concept of the most expensive parts of life just being handed to you for free. Everyone likes to make fun of the French but it’s a pretty amazing system and culture they’ve got and it’s hard for me to describe the amount of gratitude I feel at this moment. For a country and a culture like this to not only exist but to open their ams to me, and invite me to live there has been incredibly humbling.

As for you poor fools still living in America, I’ll send you a post card. I’ll make sure to write it in a cafe while wearing a beret and a red neckerchief. I’m still planning to update the site too, so check back regularly for more news and announcements about France, “The Box”, and the First Second editions of Demon. Speaking of Demon, one last important point of business I should get to is that I am closing the store section of shigabooks on the first of August so if you want your Demon minicomics, box sets, slipcases or PDFs, you’ll have the rest of June and July to order. Then, that’s it. I’m out!

(for people who don't know, the Angouleme comics festival is a big deal; wikipedia says it's the third biggest convention in the world after 'Lucca Comics and Games' and Comiket, with ~200,000 people attending (SDCC is ~167,000) )

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    How the fuck does that man keep failing upward?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Clint Eastwood look at your boy shiga go

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I think the more disturbing idea is that he's succeeding upwards, and we are wrong

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I think the more disturbing idea is that he's succeeding upwards, and we are wrong

No, it is the children that are wrong

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

Faustian deal

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Faustian deal
    I mean

It is called Demon

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Faustian deal
    I mean

It is called Demon

Well a lesser demon Jason Shiga is

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    :wink:

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I do not approve of your flippant use of emoticons, cease and desist or face the consequences

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I could see Demon being novel and amusing - especially the first few chapters - if you're reading it as a compiled comic rather than a daily webcomic, and also your point of reference is print comics

then 1) you dismiss the art because it's a webcomic 2) it's not video gamey stuff by some boy 3) it's not slice of life stuff by some girl

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Demon is proof that people are idiots and web are living in the end times

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    All emoticons must be in the form of Pepsi Cans.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    TRUMP / SHIGA 2016

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    1465978513-1.jpg
    Whenever people ask me if anything 'surprised' me about Japan, this is usually my answer. I'm not sure I ever saw what we would think of as a 'normal' bar in Kurihara. It was all Snack Bars. I only ever want to one alone once, and it was a very strange and expensive evening. It ended when I saw one of the ladies take some money out of the wallet of a passed out patron and then call him a cab. You knew this was not the first time they had this interaction. Seemed like a good time to head home.

Let's Speak English

Edit: Apparently she was... misinformed by her coworkers what "nijikai" meant, here's the original:
    1465976833-1.jpg

Yeah, nijikai is second party. I had some parties even go to a sanjikai (third party) and one once went to a yonjikai (4th). It's basically every time you change locations. Which just involves a group of drunken teachers stumbling from one side of town to another. It's something special.

Also, snack bars are like the most depressing god damn thing in the world. It is just sad stacked on top of sad. The gardener at my school loved one local snack bar, the girls there were from the Philippines and could speak English and missed speaking it, so he would try to drag me there every chance he got to try and impress them to make them like him more. To the point where he lied to me multiple times about where we were going, once going so far to say that it was his birthday party, before I caught on as to what he was doing. When we went for "his" birthday party, it was actually the birthday party of his favorite girl at the snack bar and he brought her a giant bouquet of flowers like the size of a person, a bunch of other gifts, an expensive thing of booze to drink with her... and within like 30 minutes of being there she got a call from some other patron of the bar she had to take and then left to be with him. Like I said, the most depressing god damn places on the planet.

Our town used to have a decent, actual bar that for some bizarre reason had like the best Caribbean jerk chicken in the world. It was called LaLaLa Bar and was the side business of the local bad kids turned responsible community focused adults that ran one of the local car repair shops. Nice place, pool tables and karaoke and tons of food and booze. But I think they closed down right when Mary was getting into town and they became another snack bar. Such is rural life in Japan.

• Options
    e0ceticfcw7z.png
    In retrospect, it was so cheap. Only 30,000 a year for people to care about your opinion on art history!
    d1j8tulyobqm.png

a2.png 25.5K
    a1.png 311.5K
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    hilarious. HILARIOUS

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    That comic is so me.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.