As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You'll die again and again, again and again, and so on. Dark Souls

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Saw that video earlier and preferred the original in the side by side.

Especially the bonfire, more of an ethereal flame than just some sword and bones on fire.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »

I've cooled a bit on Vaati, but this is good stuff

I just want to play the game, mosly, but the new bonfire looks too different. The old one looked magical, this one is just a fire

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Maybe I just don't notice lighting effects, but during that comparison he was doing all I could see was that the colors were a lot more muted in the remaster version. It actually looked worse, like someone just bumped up the gamma and that was it.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    OK, Shadows down. That was dicey as fuck; I used all of my vials and was at half health at the end. My heart was racing!

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Wow, Byrgenworth ain't messing around. Getting real weird right now.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Wow, Byrgenworth ain't messing around. Getting real weird right now.

the SKY and the COSMOS are ONE

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    So, I'm fighting Rom, and I'm pretty sure I can take them. Got them down to 10% health a couple of times.

But, I thought I'd heard Rom was an end game boss? This is literally only the 7th boss I've faced (after Cleric, Gazza, Vicar, Witch, BSB, and Shadows). Did I skip huge areas, or does this game just not have many bosses?

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So, I'm fighting Rom, and I'm pretty sure I can take them. Got them down to 10% health a couple of times.

But, I thought I'd heard Rom was an end game boss? This is literally only the 7th boss I've faced (after Cleric, Gazza, Vicar, Witch, BSB, and Shadows). Did I skip huge areas, or does this game just not have many bosses?

Rom is mid-game. Like literally mid-game, he's the catalyst that transitions the game to the back half.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Ah, OK

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular

you're in the know, right?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The newly remastered guide for Dark Souls is up for preorder on Amazon, if anyone is interested.

• Options
    l_g wrote: »

you're in the know, right?

I... I don't think I am?

Why the fuck is any of this happening? I apparently showed up at this gothic hell hole looking for, I think it was Paleblood, got juiced up on something that made me basically immortal, and I'm just killing everything and everyone I find. The whole town seems to be turning into monsters thanks to all their wild blood experiments, and I get the feeling that I'm not actually helping! If I wasn't here, maybe all the monsters would be happy? I seem to be the only one fuckng shit up.

I hope the penny will drop at some point, but right now I feel like those assholes at the clinic just set me loose on the city like a swarm of wasps at a picnic.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Bloodborne's story is completely impenetrable to the point where i'd say it doesn't have a story at all. It has a setting and some lore and that's it.

Don't worry about it and just have fun killing monsters.

Aistan on
  • Options
    bloodborne has a surprising number of places you can just miss and never go to

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I got killed by some bloke with a sack and taken to a totally new area. I bet that's missable.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I got killed by some bloke with a sack and taken to a totally new area. I bet that's missable.

Yeeeees and no.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I disagree with that. There's a story there if go look for it. The one glaring unknown being who you were before the game's start. You could chock that up to "Whatever the player wants it to."

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I missed that on my first playthrough. I also missed a hidden side area that apparently gave context to the entire ending.

Because of that I didn't know the final boss was the final boss until I beat it and was pushed into NG+.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Basically what we're saying is don't be afraid to go through old areas and poke at stuff when you're big and strong to see if you're like "Oh there's this entire side path here I never went down"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I'm a pretty thorough explorer, but I'm pretty sure I've broken every quest line in the game by going to places in an odd order and advancing some areas too quickly. I am seeing almost no NPCs and the only person I've found to send to safely is the old woman. I did the same in DS3, just wandered past the wrong place and suddenly poof, no more Onion Knight.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Sounds like someone didn't explore Cathedral Ward

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the secret final boss is pretty hard to find without just reading how to do it on the internet IMO

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I did! I knocked on doors and everything. Everyone just muttered about blood or was very insincere about the church.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'm a pretty thorough explorer, but I'm pretty sure I've broken every quest line in the game by going to places in an odd order and advancing some areas too quickly. I am seeing almost no NPCs and the only person I've found to send to safely is the old woman. I did the same in DS3, just wandered past the wrong place and suddenly poof, no more Onion Knight.

A lot of the NPC quests break when they aren't followed in proper order and it's annoying your first time through. I found Eileen's and Iosefka's to be not terribly straightforward and Eileen's in particular breaks pretty easily. Alfred's probably has the most steps but I think the window in which you can do his is the largest. Have you talked to him yet?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I can't even imagine the saintly patience it must take to not use a guide for From Software quests

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Bloodborne's story is completely impenetrable to the point where i'd say it doesn't have a story at all. It has a setting and some lore and that's it.

This is crazy talk

Bloodborne is the most straight forward it has ever been

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I would say it is extremely possible for Bloodborne to be completely impenetrable and plotless and also the least impenetrable and most plotful yet

• Options
    Butters wrote: »

A lot of the NPC quests break when they aren't followed in proper order and it's annoying your first time through. I found Eileen's and Iosefka's to be not terribly straightforward and Eileen's in particular breaks pretty easily. Alfred's probably has the most steps but I think the window in which you can do his is the largest. Have you talked to him yet?

I've spoken to him twice, so he might be OK. Once near the entrance to Old Yharnam, and he was by the entrance to the forbidden woods when I went there for the first time.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Heck you probably never even found the second place you can send people

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The bizarre, nightmarish impenetrability of Bloodborne is great. The things going on around you are insane, and to understand them, you must forget the limitations of your own sanity. I love that, it's one of my favourite things about the game. You want to know what is happening, but the more you learn, the more hideous things become.

• Options

This is crazy talk

Bloodborne is the most straight forward it has ever been

Compared to all three Darks Soul where they have NPCs talking to you the entire way telling you what your goal is? You're nuts. This one you get one note "seek paleblood to transcend the hunt" and then a bunch of people who talk about things they assume you already know about without explaining any of it.

The player never has a distinct goal throughout the entire thing. Dark Souls you know where you are, the state of the world, and what is being asked of you. Bloodborne you don't know any of that.

Dark Souls I had been hearing about the final bosses throughout most of the game. I knew who they were and what defeating them meant. Bloodborne's final boss
    was some guy I talked to once and never again, with optional squid from the moon that comes out of complete nowhere with no explanation.

• Options
    Bloodborne ending:
    The squid fate ending worked very well for me because my guy kind of looked like a big slimy black squid anyway

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'll try a Zwei build for the remaster

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    You can miss almost everything optional in Bloodborne and have no clue

The game doesn't say much and rewards people who mash their heads against boundaries to find all the goodies and secrets. If you're used to dark souls you might find everything. If not, you might find nothing (I found nearly nothing my first play through, but it made subsequent tries all the richer)

• Options
    The main problem Bloodborne's story and lore has is no boss soul items and weapons, so you can't find out any info on what it was you just fought. The few hunter outfits are all we get.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

This is basically a hallmark of all the souls games too though. Interesting settings but there's no real story, you're just exploring the setting

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    setting is story

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    They're histories rather than the tale of your character, their deeds, their allies & enemies, etc which works out because I fuckin love history stories.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I've watched multiple 20+ minute Bloodborne lore videos and I still feel like I don't really know what's going on in that game. It's fairly appropriate given the theme, though.

One thing I did like is VaatiVidya's "fake" video linking the Souls and Bloodborne series with a single thread of lore (it was a requested video from Patreon or something, and he didn't even believe the theory he was offering). While almost certainly untrue, it honestly made more sense to me than most of the other stuff.
    Short version: The Old One from Demon's Souls is in the same Lovecraftian pantheon as Bloodborne's space horrors (& potentially their creator? I forget some of the details). Pacifying him led to the creation of the Dark Souls cycle of replacing blood with fire, which itself ends with a painting-created new world of a cold, dark, gentle place (Yharnam) where things were great for awhile until the past caught up with it through the rediscovery of the use of blood, the original tool of the Old One.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Maybe I just don't notice lighting effects, but during that comparison he was doing all I could see was that the colors were a lot more muted in the remaster version. It actually looked worse, like someone just bumped up the gamma and that was it.

it almost seems smoky, i noticed that too. not sure what to make of it

i was never able to get DSFix to *really* work properly, it just seems to disagree with my graphics card, so I think I'll probably get this remaster just to play the game in a fashion that is stable...

ive managed to go all these years w/ DS1 largely unspoiled so I am looking forward to finally beating it and finding cool stuff

This discussion has been closed.