Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Nubia is actually pretty comical. Just ran right over Trajan and Monty.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Proselytizer Apostle Promotion only evicts 75% of existing pressure of other religions, not 100%.

I just realized, this is actually a pretty big stealth buff to India.

Having the follower beliefs of every religion in your city is really cool... until some proselytizing Apostles sweep in and wipe out every religion except one. With this new change, even if they convert your cities, you'll still have one or two followers of every religion, so you'll still get those bonuses.

• Options
    So... the tech and civic pop ups just stopped appearing after a few turns for me. Which is obnoxious for the free civic swaps if you queue things up. Also the AIs offer trades that they refuse, but if you lower the gold or gpt by 1, they'll take them. Weird bugs they've introduced.

Game plays way better than it did before though.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So I managed to get two games in with Nubia. One game on continents where i went culture (isolated start), and another on pangea where i just face rolled over everyone to domination. I played at relatively easy difficulties because it's been since the macedonia/persia pack that i played last. It's hard for me to evaluate since at that level you can win with anyone however you want (prince/warlord), but I did enjoy the new puzzle of pyramid placement among district placement. They seem to be well fitted to my usual strategy of: Get into an early war and kill a rival or two, and then win through peaceful means.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Basically though all those double firing crossbows make me want to keep rampaging.

• Options
    Looks like Khmer was announced, but I'm at work so I can't watch the video.

Steam
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Looks really good, also they are revamping religion a ton this patch... There still should be one more civ or leader though, wonder if it will be a double pack or if there will be a winter dlc.

• Options
    They are going to have to do a lot to religion to make it an enjoyable system, so I'm curious to see what they change.

Steam
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Looks like Khmer was announced, but I'm at work so I can't watch the video.

Allow me to transcribe for you then.

Monasteries of the King: Holy sites culture bomb. If built on a river tile, they also provide +2 food and +1 housing.
    Grand Barays: Farms provide +2 food when adjacent to an aqueduct. Aqueducts provide +3 faith and +1 amenity.
    Domrey: Siege unit between catapults and bombards. Doesn't need to set up to shoot. Exerts zone of control, which siege units usually don't.
    Prasat: Replaces temple. Provides +1 additional relic slot. Missionaries produced in a city with this building will provide a relic when killed in theological combat.

Definitely a civ built around going tall and playing the religious game. They're a lot like India, expect much less passive.

Also, for those who may have missed the news, the new patch will include several new religious belief options, including two new worship buildings, one of which can be seen the in Khmer first look video.
    There still should be one more civ or leader though, wonder if it will be a double pack or if there will be a winter dlc.

That information has already been leaked.
    It is a double pack. The other civ is Indonesia, led by Queen Gitarja. Expect their first look video to be tomorrow morning.

• Options
    That will be nice, it really fills out the cultural and geographic map a bit, as SEA was a bit of a void up until this point. Now the only big area with little representation is the America’s, but Incas and Maya tend to be fan favorites so I am guessing we will get them in an expansion along with other big missing civs like ottomans and mongols.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Bring back the Iroquois!

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WQmeLQ_wc8&ab_channel=SidMeier%27sCivilization

Indonesia, led by Gajah mada's boss, Dyah Gitarja (aka Tribhuwannottunggadewi Jayawishnuwardhani).

National Ability - Great Nusantara - Coastal tiles provide minor (+0.5) adjacency bonuses to Holy Sites, Campuses, Industrial Zones, and Theatre Squares. Entertainment Complexes provide +1 Amenities when adjacent to non-lake coastal tiles.

Leader Ability - Exalted Goddess of the Three Worlds - Naval Units can be purchased with faith. Religious units do not suffer movement penalties when embarking or disembarking. +3 Faith to City Centers that are coastal or adjacent to lakes.

Unique Unit - Jong - Frigate replacement with 6 movement rather than the Frigate's 4. It gives its movement speed to any units that are in its formation. It gains +5 combat power when in formation.

Unique Infrastructure - Kampung - Unique improvement that is built in coastal tiles adjacent to water resources. Provides +1 housing, +1 Production, and +1 Food for each adjacent fishing boat. Will be improved later in the game with additional techs.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    For those of you thinking "hey, the animations on those new leaders somehow look slicker than what I remember from the rest of the game?" You're right, they're improving the leaders by adding (probably among other things)a bit of motion blur. One of their gfx guys responded to someone on Reddit and they seem pretty excited that people actually noticed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/76qn63/civilization_vi_first_look_khmer/dog1m7r/
    finally someone calls it out hahaha. yes, yes you do :) and its backwards compatible on all the leaders as well. We are still tweaking it a bit, but it will be in for the DLC. Its...really pretty on the leaders
    (...)team effort on both modeling, animation and rigging. its hard to get realtime characters to deform that well, but we do our best

Aldo on
  • Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WQmeLQ_wc8&ab_channel=SidMeier%27sCivilization

Indonesia, led by Gajah mada's boss, Dyah Gitarja (aka Tribhuwannottunggadewi Jayawishnuwardhani).

National Ability - Great Nusantara - Coastal tiles provide minor (+0.5) adjacency bonuses to Holy Sites, Campuses, Industrial Zones, and Theatre Squares. Entertainment Complexes provide +1 Amenities when adjacent to non-lake coastal tiles.

Leader Ability - Exalted Goddess of the Three Worlds - Naval Units can be purchased with faith. Religious units do not suffer movement penalties when embarking or disembarking. +3 Faith to City Centers that are coastal or adjacent to lakes.

Unique Unit - Jong - Frigate replacement with 6 movement rather than the Frigate's 4. It gives its movement speed to any units that are in its formation. It gains +5 combat power when in formation.

Unique Infrastructure - Kampung - Unique improvement that is built in coastal tiles adjacent to water resources. Provides +1 housing, +1 Production, and +1 Food for each adjacent fishing boat. Will be improved later in the game with additional techs.

I'm not crazy about Naval Civs, but I do love me some unique tile improvements on terrain other civs find useless.

Steam
  • Options
    So a few interesting things, now that we are probably done with pre-expansion dlc.

The following civs have been in all 5 previous civ games but not yet civ 6:

Babylon
    Mongols
    Zulus

The following have been in 4 civ games but not yet in civ 6:
    Celts
    Carthage

The following have been in 3 games, but not civ 6:
    Byzantium
    Inca
    Maya
    Korea
    Netherlands
    Ottomans
    Portugal

The following have been in 2 other games but not civ 6:

Iroquois
    Ethiopia

Also of note is that all of the above eventually would make it into civ 5.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    The Incas or the Mayans plus a native North American civ seem likely next.

It would be really cool to have the Zapotecs or the Dene at some point. Or the Cree. Or Nazca.

Absalon on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, I would be surprised if a North American native civ and one or both major mesoamerican civs didn’t make it in. Korea is probably a given given the gaming market there. Would honestly be surprised if any of the names on the top 3 lists were left out.

I really feel like Assyria doesn’t get enough credit for what it’s worth, I would like them back. Also I understand a bit why they avoid putting them in, but the Hebrews/Israel were massively influential by any standard and I feel deserve a place. We can have Judaism as a religion, why not a civ?

A Germanic post-Roman civ would be good too, Goths or Franks maybe. I know people conflate the Franks and France but they are really as different as, say, the Romans/Greeks and Byzantines.

Edit: and Kilwa/Swahili! Those guys were really important.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Not to mention the Sogdian culture.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Diplomacy-focused expac with a bunch of native American civs and a bunch of cool info of how their diplomacy worked.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

It would be really cool to have the Zapotecs or the Dene at some point. Or the Cree. Or Nazca.

Sauk Indians led by Warchief Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak

• Options
    I’m hoping honestly that this is the patch that will finally get me to uninstall civ 5.

• Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular

Mississippian would be pretty cool and cover a pretty wide swath of North America. Capitol of Cahokia, special earthen mound buildings that give extra housing and faith or something. Maybe some kind of river-based bonus?

• Options

Mississippian would be pretty cool and cover a pretty wide swath of North America. Capitol of Cahokia, special earthen mound buildings that give extra housing and faith or something. Maybe some kind of river-based bonus?

It would be cool but are they well understood enough to do? Who is the potential leader? It's been a few years since I looked into what we knew about them, but last time I don't think we had any individual names at all, unfortunately.

• Options
    Old school shit, but CivIII is comopetely free for the next 2ish days on Humble https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-iii-complete

• Options
    Looks like the notes for the fall update are up.

I'm very excited about the 'religious units get their own layer' part.

Steam
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Aldo wrote: »
    Old school shit, but CivIII is comopetely free for the next 2ish days on Humble https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-iii-complete

Civ 3: We Totally Forgot Everything We Did in Alpha Centauri.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular

It would be cool but are they well understood enough to do? Who is the potential leader? It's been a few years since I looked into what we knew about them, but last time I don't think we had any individual names at all, unfortunately.

There'd definitely have to be some, ehhh, cobbling together of leaders, names, and places from various tribes descended from the Mississippians. Choctaw, Cherokee, Caddo, Seminole, among others.

It's probably way too much effort with way too high a chance to offend one or more tribes for it to be worth doing, honestly. It's still my 'dream' North American civ, though.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man religion on its own layer will be real nice; I wonder if missionaries will work more like traders and spies too, or if it'll just kind of hide all the usual religious units/icons

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options

I keep hearing about how good alpha centauri was, but i never actually got around to playing it. What made it so good that it is still referenced today?

Steam
  • Options

There'd definitely have to be some, ehhh, cobbling together of leaders, names, and places from various tribes descended from the Mississippians. Choctaw, Cherokee, Caddo, Seminole, among others.

It's probably way too much effort with way too high a chance to offend one or more tribes for it to be worth doing, honestly. It's still my 'dream' North American civ, though.

Just make the Cherokee a civ, you could do all kinds of interesting things with them.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Sioux are a possibility too, if only because they've been in before (way back in civ2 but still) and have probably the most recognizable leader to an american audience. They could also run back the iroqouis, but they were just in civ5 so they might prefer a different native group

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I keep hearing about how good alpha centauri was, but i never actually got around to playing it. What made it so good that it is still referenced today?

It was very ambitious and very modular and also very very very broken but in a fun way.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Atmosphere and storyline, variable terrain elevation and terraforming, sea cities, a unit design system, a combat system with artillery/ranged units long before civ would get them, basically borrowed by civ 5. ‘Barbarians’ you could interact with and even get to fight on your side. A parallel spy unit system similar to religious units in civ 6 but better. Social engineering, basically the government system from civ 4 but your choices affect diplomacy like ideology from civ 5 or religion from civ 4. Characterful civs with personalities and unique attributes. Lots of stuff that would be used in later civ games but was revolutionary for the time it was released.

And as mentioned above, there are some totally broken things in the game, but it’s a Marvel vs Capcom type “everyone is broken so find as many ways to exploit the heck out of game mechanics as you can” rather than just a civ 5 style “you have to pick the same 3 culture trees every time because all the others are crap” broken.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    If anyone is still on the fence about 6, I have a coupon from steam for 50% off the digital deluxe version, just drop me a PM.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    If anyone is still on the fence about 6, I have a coupon from steam for 50% off the digital deluxe version, just drop me a PM.

Same here! PM or at me if you're interested!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, Steam threw one at me as well. Everyone I know who wants Civ VI already has it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Many things were great about Alpha Centauri.

Unfortunately the UI was not one of those things. The right-click context menu was reminiscent of a Windows 98 system that'd had a decades worth photo editors and zip utilities installed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Interestingly enough, it was the setting that really made the game amazing. Don't get me wrong, the gameplay was fantastic. Being able to change weather patterns by destroying or building whole continents, building an army of psychic, genetically-modified hybrid beings, fighting alien mindworms with crazy laser weapons and quantum grenades, building crazy sci-fi projects like frictionless materials and teleporters, etc. etc. etc. were all super fun and had real impacts on the game. But the setting really made the game come alive, and really gave meaning to the mechanics.

The leaders all had their own clearly defined personalities, goals, and motives, and behaved in exactly the ways that you would expect. In addition, they lent weight to the world itself through their research and wonder quotes.

For example, if you research the project "The Virtual World", the leader of the Hive, Shen Ji-Yang, gives this quote:
    What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

-Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

Or if you build the Genejack Factory:
    My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?

-Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

After researching Retroviral Engineering:
    The Academician's private residences shall remain off-limits to the Genetic Inspectors. We possess no retroviral capability, we are not researching retroviral engineering, and we shall not allow this Council to violate faction privileges in the name of this ridiculous witch hunt!"

-Fedor Petrov, Vice Provost for University Affairs

The Academician himself has some nice quotes, too:
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

-Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"
    The first living thing to go through the device was a small white rat. I still have him, in fact. As you can see, the damage was not so great as they say.

-Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "See How They Run"

In short, the game took the premise of humanity starting over on a new planet, embraced it with a bearhug, and went as far as it could both in setting and gameplay.

In comparison, Beyond Earth was a decent enough game, but it just plain didn't have the soul of Alpha Centauri. And Civ VI goes to the other extreme of not taking itself seriously enough (the fucking joke quotes are bad and they should feel bad for putting them in the game, except that the non-joke quotes are even worse somehow).

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Beyond earth suffered from the problem of being too generic. I think it’s mainly because the factions are based on real life countries so they were afraid to give them too much character. There’s a lot of difference between saying Qin Shi Huang was a militant crazy person and Generic Chinese Lady is a militant crazy person. So in order to avoid offense every leader is basically described as “xxx leader of France was the most awesome person ever in the aftermath of the great mistake.” and much of the personality is lost, even if those leaders actually do display some personality in game. The expansion pack leaders are MUCH MUCH better in this regard.

Also a lot of the mechanics are a bit wierd, and I think they made a mistake making normal the default game speed instead of quick, which has a lot better feel, but those are less major issues.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I still, mentally, append "Academician Prokhor Zakharov, For I Have Tasted the Fruit" to things I say, sometimes. :D