As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] Thread's dead, baby; thread's dead.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    Got a question. Should I be fielding Galuf?

I have his Thor Hammer, which gives access to his Fist of the Dawn soul break. Does physical damage to one enemy and raises the party's attack power by "a moderate amount". I'm sure it's nowhere near as powerful a boost as Shout, but I'm wondering if I should be using it, so that I can use other Hastegas, like, Divine Guardian, as RWs without worrying about losing the physical DPS I need for the more resilient bosses. What do you think?

When in doubt, assume 35% for SB boost effects.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Galuf's hammer is indeed +35% to attack. It's a single hit SB so it falls a little short on that front, but you can certainly use it and then, as you said, RW something like Divine Guardian or Mighty Guard (VIII). You would do about 30% more damage if you used Shout as your RW, but you wouldn't have the shell/regen/resist up so it could end up being a net positive. I say it's certainly worth a go, and if you feel your damage is starting to fall behind a little you can always switch back to RW Shout.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Alright. I'll give that a shot.

On the subject of Galuf's own damage output, how good is Exploding Fist?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Exploding Fist is yummy. Assuming you get one crit in five hits, it's 3.2 total multiplier over 5, whereas Thief's Revenge is 3.5/5.

People say do Barrage instead, since he (and more people) can use that, but that's randomly targeted.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    That feeling you get when you plan to have Cloud Blade Beam all 4 of those ninja guys in the boss rush... and realize you forgot to give him the SB materia.

Oh well. My VII synergy at this point is fucking bonkers. I pasted them all the same, and Godo too.

And now, I might as well put these 184 major growth eggs to use and boost Yuffie up to 80.

...I might have an egg hoarding problem...

I have been egging characters to 50/65 whenever they get a new Record Materia released, and I'm actually almost out of eggs. I've used all my Major eggs, and I'm going through the Greaters 5x as fast. Egging Palom and Porom to 65 right away, for example, costs a ton of eggs.

E: curse you auto-correct, for replacing my fantasy names with your real names.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    I got mad at my eggs a while back and used them to get as many non-cores to 50 as possible. At the end of every Sunday, all eggs from the week get immediately forcefed to some random meatbag who's sub-50. Once they're all to 50, the process will begin again, but to 65.

Except for Gau. Fuck Gau.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    What's wrong with Gau, exactly?

...ah, his lack of memory crystals at the moment? I can see that. I was contemplating him as a possible Chaincharger for when that all comes out, but I'd best wait for him to get crystals.

• Options
    Everything.

Everything is wrong with Gau.

And I'm including him in FFVI.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Everything.

Everything is wrong with Gau.

And I'm including him in FFVI.

Man, in FFVI, he's like the fourth or fifth best party member.

Unless you include the Rafflessia rage, which makes him the undisputed champ, but that's pretty much cheating.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Well the issue most people have with Gau is that his relics are considered some of the worst in the game. I think they all make him do some randomly targeted attacks for like three turns after using a unique soul break.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    That's fair enough. FFRK, at the hardest content, is a lot more of a precise game than VI.

Got Cait Sith.

haha, is his defualt Soul Break just exactly identical to Setzer's?

Enlong on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Woo hoo, Kuja down! And a freakin' clean kill too, not these "by the skin of our teeth" ones like the last few.

Ramza: Magic Breakdown, Full Breakdown, Shout
    Agrias: Magic Lure, Drain Strike, Cleansing Strike
    Tyro: Curaja, Shellga, Sentinel's Grimoire
    Yuffie: Dismissal, Thief's Revenge, Clear Tranquil
    Cloud: Lifesiphon, Armor Break, Fenrir Overdrive
    RW: Apocalypse Shield (my IX synergy is one sword and one light armor and that's fuckin' it)

I am officially on board with this party now, and on Team Yuffie. One of the biggest issues I tend to have is a lot of important shit is on the healer's hands. In this case, Tyro has to keep Shellga and Wall up. But god forbid I get a second to do that, because if he stops healing for even a round, I'm probably fucked. Having that instant heal of Yuffie's... fuck me. There were a few times I was hammering the SB spot while her bar filled up, hoping that ass didn't get a sneak move in. But oh man, whoever is still alive when she gets her turn stays alive. And Tyro can spare a moment to do something else.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Actually, I'm surprised there aren't more SBs that have those kinds of effects. I was half expecting the OSSBs to be some flavor of "Charge for X turns and then do SUPER ATTACK" instead of the ridiculously broken and power creepy things that they are. Especially if they were like, about the same strength as an SSB by default, but for each SB gauge consumed (per turn charging), got a 1.5 multiplier or something.

I'll admit that there is a point to leveling him in FFRK though. His RM2 is a straight upgrade to any of the auto-hastes. After you get that, he can go live in the bin with the cores.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Eh from what I've heard, the general consensus is that Cloud's OSB is quite possibly weaker than the good BSBs. Burst Mode is really powerful with that 20% to all stats buff, and some of the commands are incredibly good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Should I MC Gilgamesh to replace Cloud, or wait for my next SB roll?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    joomanjii wrote: »
    Finally was able to hone Saint's Cross today to R2. I now have Full Break, Dark Zone, Saint's Cross, and Thief's Revenge to R2!

Are there any other 5* abilities I should consider creating and honing besides those four? If not, which of the four should I start working on to get to R3?

You may want to consider working on a 5* AoE, such as Flashing Blade, Tornado Strike, Sky Grinder, Bahamut, and/or Meteor, depending on what your orb availability is and what kinds of characters you like. Unless you already have good AoE soul breaks. :)

As for the abilities you already have: R3 Full Break isn't a terribly useful upgrade. Any of those other three are fantastic damage options that would be nice to have additional uses of. Depends what you find fun and which characters you like!

Also, don't forget about Full Charge and Chainstarter, which are due in about three weeks, and Dragoon Jump, probably another three weeks after that. Those will be additional good single-target damage skills.

edit: also, don't overlook the option of strong hones on your 4* abilities. Getting two or three Lifesiphons to R4, Power/Magic/Armor Breakdown to R4, etc. can be very nice.

Fry on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I just ghetto-bashed my way through Hometown Bout for quite possibly the ugliest win ever. I completely forgot that Eiko had Slowga, I forgot to toss out my AoE SBs on the foursome, and I totally forgot about which order to kill them in.

I'm not even gonna bother retrying for Master, because that was just bad. I need Full Break, pronto.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    joomanjii wrote: »
    Finally was able to hone Saint's Cross today to R2. I now have Full Break, Dark Zone, Saint's Cross, and Thief's Revenge to R2!

Are there any other 5* abilities I should consider creating and honing besides those four? If not, which of the four should I start working on to get to R3?

Totally depends on your relics on the relevant characters.
    Full Break at R2 is a good spot. Rarely need more than 60s of uptime and if you do, you can normally delay the first application.
    Knowing that you have Zidane's Shift Break, I'd recommend TR to R3 first (I'm doing that as well) so that a Lifesiphon + TR combo gives a self-sufficient DPR who can also use those oh so common swords

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
  • Options
    Three greens drops in one stage of a daily, like two days before double greens starts. Well played, FFRK, well played.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've gotten three in one stage during a double greens weekend too.
    http://i.imgur.com/H7VTBHe.jpg

I'm only I think two or three triple greens drops away from matching the number of major orbs I've seen in the regular dailies over the past three weeks. It was a cause for celebration when I got an MPO yesterday. But I need so many Wind and they keep putting up orbs in the shop that I don't want.

At least I'll be able to buy an assload of accessories whenever those get tossed in.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Full medals on the ultimate, lost one for actions on the U+, probably because Shout ran out at about 30 percent left on Proudclad. I have pretty good 7 synergy, due to getting not one but two outdated Sephiroth katanas on the lucky draws last festival. Everyone had around 400 ATK, even Tyro. Used my "no heals*" team for both, with a slight adjustment for the lightning requirement for Carry Armor.

Tyro, P Breakdown, A Breakdown, Sentinel Grimoire
    Gilgamesh, Saints Cross, Filler, Faithful Companion
    Ramza, Full Break, M Breakdown, Tailwind
    Beatrix, Lifesiphon, Shellga, SSB
    Agrias, Lifesiphon, Protectga, Cleansing Strike
    RW Shout

Mako Might and Dr. Mogs for wall and Major Regen right off the bat meant I only needed one Tailwind each fight. Didn't need to S/L either fight, was very smooth. Beatrix SSB so good!

Btw, I ignored Jammer Armor and it was great, would recommend. I think someone on reddit claimed the effective HP works out to be equal either way if you're using single target stuff like I mostly was.

Fry on
  • Options
    I haven't been paying complete attention, but I wonder if it is even possible to beat the Golden Saucer U+ with full medals. I think the cutoff for these fights is 61 actions, and having to re-apply breaks all the time is going to drive that number up significantly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Valia Pira down. It's so much easier when everyone's 65+! :P

Granted, I ran out of hones pretty quickly, though I had like 10 different Shellgas available (Eiko, Shellga itself, Quistis RW).

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I haven't been paying complete attention, but I wonder if it is even possible to beat the Golden Saucer U+ with full medals. I think the cutoff for these fights is 61 actions, and having to re-apply breaks all the time is going to drive that number up significantly.

I got full medals but my VII synergy is absurd and I have a stacked team of SSBs + BSBs so

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Now just working through the latter half of the FFVII event and took the opportunity to test out my new 'A Team' configuration of Zidane, Selphie, Lightning, Tifa and Ramza.
    Zidane is the main muscle behind the group with Shift Break and TR. Shift Break also fulfills any Power Breakdown requirement
    Selphie is my strongest pure healer and the cheese master of any scripted magic damage
    Lightning is the spellblader and the other SSB holder
    Tifa brings the group's Boostga and also packs a punch (haw haw)
    And Ramza is Ramza. Tailwind to assist with healing and default Protectga.

That leaves the RW to pack a Hastega or Wall. If I need a Wall, I could potentially swap Ramza with Ingus who I have a Protectga + Hastega SB and since he's 4* support he can still pack two breakdowns but I lose the Tailwind healing, which shouldn't be too bad given I'd be carrying a RW Wall and I have Dreamstage.
    Burning Arrow is 35% vs Shout's 50% but 35% is still a good chunk regardless; better than trying to live off 15% via a Bard's Rallying Etude.
    However since Shift Break covers Power Breakdown, it means that I can usually pack Armour Breakdown, which helps in doing damage even more.

In the 120 difficulty +++, I cleaned it up quite nicely without using a heal. I didn't pack Curaja on Selphie at all. Just Diaga/Slowga and burnt the boss down with a MG8 RW for the hastega + shellga. So, Tifa, you pass. Welcome to the team!

I'm probably going to do a rematch against Kuja using the new team configuration, or more to the point, the Wall configuration; as another test of the new team. I already know the fight so I can compared how nice it is to work with, and there's virtually no requirements aside from having to carry Mental Break on Tifa or Lightning to meet that target score as I want Magic Breakdown and Armour Breakdown on Ingus.

Takel on
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Started playing again after a long time, did the white mage pull and got Relm's brush. Problem is that I don't have Relm. Do I need to use a soul to unlock her or is available another way?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    U+ Mastered

This fight highlighted that I do actually need a R4 Lifesiphon or two for my current A team configuration.

Team and strategy:
    Zidane - Thief's Revenge, Lifesiphon, Ace Striker - Shift Break
    Selphie - Curaja, Protectga, Dr Mog's - Dreamstage
    Lightning - Armor Break, Lifesiphon, Dragoon's Determination - Crushing Blow
    Tifa - Pound, Lifesiphon, Battleforged - Burning Arrow
    Ramza Magic Breakdown, Power Breakdown, Mako Might - Tailwind

RW: Mighty Guard VIII

Ability loadout was totally unoptimised. I mental farted/hesitated and brought two redundant abilities; Protectga and Power Breakdown
    I should had brought Diaga and Armour Breakdown, or make Ramza a new Lifesiphon

This team's greatest weakness is a very slow start. I want Burning Arrow, Tailwind and Shift Break up ASAP however I also need to keep a pre-charge on Selphie for her Dreamstage. With three SBs I want to use as often as possible but only 2 big RMs to boost the generation rate with, that's going to leave one without a fast generator. A big part of my mitigation is only after the 3rd round once I have Shift Break, but at the same time I want Tifa to use her Burning Arrow first to prevent any possibility of overwriting the 50% buff on Zidane.

Regardless, once I have Burning Arrow used and Shift Break, things become a lot easier. Everyone is now attacking with +35% ATK and Zidane has +50% and well over the soft cap and can use Thief's Revenge for lots of damage and the ability to never die unless one-rounded while I have TR available. Lightning mops up AoEs with her Crushing Blow. Lightning's position on the team is also substitutable with Gilgamesh, whom I have Repentance for similar damage purposes.

Ying and Yang were taken out without too many issues. The magic spam once I started pushing them hard hurt a fair bit but two medicas. Whatever
    The Chimera was a total joke. Freeze got neutered by Dreamstage's blink
    Proudclad was also not a problem though I ran out of ability hones mainly because Zidane bit it towards the end as I lost a bet and he got hit 4 times in a row with Wrist Lasers. I should had TR'd and recovered full HP before using another Shift Break.

Overall, a glowing appraisal for my new team. Tifa is getting fast tracked to the EXP train and possibly getting egged up as well.
    Seeing Tifa crack Proudclad for 2x 9999s on her Burning Arrow was glorious.

I chewed through ~483,600 HP and I didn't feel like I was overly stretched. Yeap. I'm happy. I don't have all the fancy bells and whistles, but I can now say that I'm in a good spot with a rounded team.

Takel on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »
    Started playing again after a long time, did the white mage pull and got Relm's brush. Problem is that I don't have Relm. Do I need to use a soul to unlock her or is available another way?

Her soul just became available in the Hall of Souls about a week or so ago. She's a great healer in her own right, with 4* Summon as a back up option (and 3* Black Magic... meh).

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    3* BLM is more for the utility spells (Blindga, Stop) or for plinking a target score requirement without bringing a full-on mage.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Championed Kuja with one medal for damage, but due to Tyro's difficulty charging meter I ended up using a mythril to build everyone's bars. I may have just given him one of the Lifesiphons and tried for a legit kill but..effort. Plus was nice to have enough SB juice to just skip the fuck you part at the end of the fight.

People in my friend list have been switching off medicas though and I need to find some more. I have a few fine cura level ones but the reraise safety net or obviously curaga strength ones are nice and I don't have to fight to fit them in my Shout team.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    I'll be keeping Dreamstage for my RW for the foreseeable future.
    e5UA

• Options
    Considering giving Kuja one more shot before the event closes. If I swap Agrias for Galuf and use DG as an RW, I might just make it. I'll have to dump more eggs into Galuf to bring him closer to 80, of course.

Should Mog use Protecga/Shellga and the armor breakdown dance, or Protectga/Shellga and Diaga? I will have Wakka using Full Break and Magic Breakdown, with his Attack Reels on tap for his soul break. Mog has Heroic Harmony.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Hmm.

Well, tried the advance/retaliate thing. Tried RWing hand of the emperor and stuffing every 60+ mage I had with 3/4* magic. Tried just normally going for it.

Just not enough sustain, really. The flute helped but I don't burn Lani down fast enough. No surprise since my gear is mostly 3 or 4* stuff upgraded and no one except Squall with a MC2.

Still, a good try. Made me hone a few things I should have done anyway.

I'll just have to use greens to buy a mc2 thing for Zidane.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    Jeix wrote: »

Her soul just became available in the Hall of Souls about a week or so ago. She's a great healer in her own right, with 4* Summon as a back up option (and 3* Black Magic... meh).

Portrait is so good. Kick back and never have to worry about healing again.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Kuja Ult + slapped me around a bit last night. I only have two Thunder resist accessories and they don't ultimately (no pun intended) seem to help all that much anyway. I'm thinking if I swapped out my Dark Magic damage dealer for Garnet with Divine Guardian and moar healz, I might last longer. Any advice on it?

• Options
    Oh yeah, weird thing about Carry Armor: while a character was grabbed by an arm, their regen would tick for NaN healing. :P

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Kuja Ult + slapped me around a bit last night. I only have two Thunder resist accessories and they don't ultimately (no pun intended) seem to help all that much anyway. I'm thinking if I swapped out my Dark Magic damage dealer for Garnet with Divine Guardian and moar healz, I might last longer. Any advice on it?

I'm not familiar with what you have in terms of unique SBs.
    Just keep in mind that you seriously don't want to let Kuja stay below 50% longer than absolutely necessary. Push him past 50%, then burn his ass down ASAP. If you can, get to like 51% then open up with a huge salvo to push as far below 50% as possible since you'll trigger an interrupt and that'll reset his ATB.

If you have the ability to maintain a good damage output, then by all means bring a second healer so long as you don't sacrifice too much damage per second. Hastega is nigh mandatory IMHO because of Kuja's double actions.

Also, if you CAN bring a Wall + whatever you need, consider a Magic Lure + Reflect combo. Provided you don't reduce his magic too much (hence the Wall requirement) you can have Kuja hit himself for 5.5k+ when he casts his single target spells. Just have to worry about his Deathbolts because those are AFAIK res piercing so not having Magic Breakdown active when that thing gets used could OHKO someone.

Takel on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    Considering giving Kuja one more shot before the event closes. If I swap Agrias for Galuf and use DG as an RW, I might just make it. I'll have to dump more eggs into Galuf to bring him closer to 80, of course.

Should Mog use Protecga/Shellga and the armor breakdown dance, or Protectga/Shellga and Diaga? I will have Wakka using Full Break and Magic Breakdown, with his Attack Reels on tap for his soul break. Mog has Heroic Harmony.

If you have multiple physical attackers (main and Support included), then Armor Breakdown adds a fair bit of damage; the dance doesn't do damage, but it probably adds more than Mog would using Diaga unless Mog is capping out on Diaga. Especially if you have multi-hit physical SBs.

Rius on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I'm quite glad I kept the Gold Sword rewards we got as bonuses in previous events. On paper it's Augment fodder, but I kept it, combined the two we wound up getting into a 6* weapon, and it's now my third-best FFVII weapon (behind Organics and Sephiroth's SSB katana, but ahead of Tifa's Grand Glove and the generic Masamune Blade katana). That means it goes on Tyro for this event.
    Brody wrote: »
    Should I MC Gilgamesh to replace Cloud, or wait for my next SB roll?
    Did you pull a Gilgamesh relic while lacking a Cloud relic? Has Cloud reached maximum level? If either of these are "yes" then go for it. Cloud and Gilgamesh are both excellent characters, and you'll want them both topped off eventually if you have relics for both of them.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
This discussion has been closed.