As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    They're definitely at opposite ends of the spectrum! Coming to Elite after playing X3, my response was "Holy shit this game has no content at all. It's just grindy combat missions, grindy trading missions, and grindy exploration missions all set in a faux-MMO world where there aren't enough people for it to feel like an MMO, but the economy is MMO scale which means I will always be a very small fish in a very, very big pond".

But, over time (and with the help of VR, to be honest) I eventually came to really appreciate Elite for what it is. The flight model is amazing. If you can get into it, you can get really lost in a mega huge galaxy, and it feels really cool! A lot of people are able to appreciate that even without VR, or a fancy HOTAS, just not me.

X4 (just like X3) wants you to be a big fish in the pond. It wants you to eventually be able to go toe to toe with, and even exceed the established large NPC factions. You start out with not much, but will eventually be able to pilot anything from a tiny scout ship to a massive destroyer or carrier, with full compliments of automated fighter squadrons and other big ships backing you up too. You'll build the wealth for this by killing some stuff, but mostly by having a steadily growing, and eventually massive, fleet of automated traders and miners, with player owned stations to control the entire supply chain if you want.

The flight model is much less good. It's fine, but it's not flight sim quality like Elite is. Elite is "be a very small fish in a huge galaxy, very immersive" while X4 is basically a 4X (damn I just realized how well this works now with X4) played from a first person perspective. It's also a lot more "gamey" where you're more focused on bigger ships, more stations, and more cash, and less on being immersed in a realistic feeling space sim.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    They're definitely at opposite ends of the spectrum! Coming to Elite after playing X3, my response was "Holy shit this game has no content at all. It's just grindy combat missions, grindy trading missions, and grindy exploration missions all set in a faux-MMO world where there aren't enough people for it to feel like an MMO, but the economy is MMO scale which means I will always be a very small fish in a very, very big pond".

But, over time (and with the help of VR, to be honest) I eventually came to really appreciate Elite for what it is. The flight model is amazing. If you can get into it, you can get really lost in a mega huge galaxy, and it feels really cool! A lot of people are able to appreciate that even without VR, or a fancy HOTAS, just not me.

X4 (just like X3) wants you to be a big fish in the pond. It wants you to eventually be able to go toe to toe with, and even exceed the established large NPC factions. You start out with not much, but will eventually be able to pilot anything from a tiny scout ship to a massive destroyer or carrier, with full compliments of automated fighter squadrons and other big ships backing you up too. You'll build the wealth for this by killing some stuff, but mostly by having a steadily growing, and eventually massive, fleet of automated traders and miners, with player owned stations to control the entire supply chain if you want.

The flight model is much less good. It's fine, but it's not flight sim quality like Elite is. Elite is "be a very small fish in a huge galaxy, very immersive" while X4 is basically a 4X (damn I just realized how well this works now with X4) played from a first person perspective. It's also a lot more "gamey" where you're more focused on bigger ships, more stations, and more cash, and less on being immersed in a realistic feeling space sim.

I don't know about Elite, but X4 also has MODS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7svI6b_Xg

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I ended up with x4. I have played a lot of x3 so was familiar with that aspect of it and wanted well... a more interactive system. So “x3 but with cockpits this time” was entirely acceptable.

I love the new flight model, being able to swap between newtonian* and railed on the fly is hella fun.

*well semi-newtonian.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ugh, today was an exercise in futility. Bank balance going the wrong way. Though it 100% reinforced my disdain for fighting. Got blown up twice and lost all cargo. And no, I wasn't trying to fight, lol.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So are the X games like "space minecraft" so an open sandbox with no plot?

Or more like "Space GTA" where there's an open world but there is an overarching plot.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    So are the X games like "space minecraft" so an open sandbox with no plot?

Or more like "Space GTA" where there's an open world but there is an overarching plot.

There are some "plots", ie mission threads you can pick up at any time and do at your own pace, but they are not required and are actually kinda difficult to find casually. But for the most part, you're plopped down in this sandbox of a universe that is doing it's own thing without you and it's up to you to decide where you want to fit in.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yeah.

Think of the X series as basically just a 4X game where you happen to be sitting in a cockpit instead of looking down at the galaxy from on high.

edit- Once you get well enough established you could, if you so choose to do so, play the game entirely from menus and the starmap.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    edit- Once you get well enough established you could, if you so choose to do so, play the game entirely from menus and the starmap.

That's typically how I play most of the game. The only times I personally pilot a ship and do stuff is the first 30 minutes to an hour of game until I have ships doing stuff for me, and for combat where I can't rely on the AI to not get my ship blown up. I still do most of the fighting myself, but most of the game for me is spent making money and giving orders whilst docked or floating beside a station somewhere. I wish the administration module you can build to claim a system had a special office for us to use where we could sit and use SETA.

• Options
    On more than a few occasions I've stood on the bridge of my Command Carrier watching a massive battle unfold and giving orders to my fleet.

This is basically what it looks like in my mind.
    F2dJAbL.jpg

It is so fucking awesome.

• Options
    No lie, one of my favorite things to do in X4 is order a ship to dock at the station I'm at, walk down to the docking bay and get in the ship, order it to dock at another station, and play Admiral while I'm getting ubered across the galaxy.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    On more than a few occasions I've stood on the bridge of my Command Carrier watching a massive battle unfold and giving orders to my fleet.

F2dJAbL.jpg

If you don't mind trading authentic RP for sheer thrills, try commanding the battle from the carrier deck itself. All around you, defense turrets lighting up the sky, shield impacts from the enemy fighters strafing you, damaged ships (occasionally...) docking, all while as the ship rolls and manuevers beneath your feet.

It's the best.

• Options
    Oh man is there any sort of Voice Attack for X4? That and VR support would ruin me.

I'd really need to buy an Admiral's hat and a pipe to chew on.

• Options

F2dJAbL.jpg

Press shift+middle mouse to move your view while in the map

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So I'm taking all this to mean that Egosoft finally patched the good into X4? I remember playing that garbage day one after loving X3TC to death and just clipping through and getting stuck in stations, the UI not working, and everything being generally shitty for weeks before I just gave up and considered my money wasted.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    It felt like it worked as well or better than X3 going from X3 to X4 as of a few days ago.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Basil wrote: »
    I think that I also passed on the series because of the Descent prefix. Only many years later did I discover it again.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I still find it amusing that the first Freespace was marketed as a Descent-adjacent title for...the sales boost? I think the studios within Parallax had already begun to split by that point?

Hell, that's why I never checked them out until they were budget releases. I didn't really care for Descent, and after seeing the box for the first one, I just assumed it was more of the same and associated Freespace with Descent. Later when I found out they were honest to goodness space sims ala Wing Commander, it blew my mind.

Funny, I was a huge Descent nerd when I was young, and my dad bought me Descent: Freespace for my birthday thinking it was the highly anticipated Descent 3. I was really confused when I opened that gift, but ultimately loved the new one too (and did they ever get VR working in FS2 Open?).
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Marketing...did not help.

People say this, but it's not super clear to me what people were expecting in 1999. Games weren't being advertised on TV or in movie trailers back then. But they had extravagant 3 page pullout ads (p69-71) in gaming magazines, a demo for the pack-in CDs, previews talking about the new beam weapons, and a slew of glowing reviews, they had a Ship of the Week feature on... Adrenaline Vault? Online Gaming Review? One of the significant gaming sites back then, anyway. The box cover art stood out nicely. I don't know what kind of marketing push people think would have turned things around. To me it was advertised the same as anything else.

Oh sweet jesus, the nostalgia hit I got from perusing that PDF was certainly something. If I look again, I don't think i'm coming back...

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I think I may still have magazines of that vintage...
    Fascinating to read through the "coming up" and "new releases" reviews, and look at the ads, and recognize both the classic hits and the ones that sunk without a trace.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Speaking of really interesting bits of space-y stuff in that old 1999 issue of CGW...

dwmhkaxammm7.jpg

(in case anyone forgot, Freelancer came out 3 years later than that Q4 2000 release date with... uh... almost nothing mentioned in that preview blurb)

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    But Star Citizen is totally gonna have everything that's been promised, right?
    And it's coming out, uh, real soon.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It has been 8 years since I was supposed to get Squadron 42...

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Checking out No Man's Sky. Whatever mad genius decided to throw the whole "learning alien languages one word at a time" thing in there is my hero.

Unless they also had a prominent role in the inventory management, then it's a wash. I can build a god damned teleporter but I can't build a box to put my extra stuff in? Come the hell on.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

F2dJAbL.jpg

I'm still sad that Flagship never got made. It looked so fuckin cool

https://youtu.be/3i2LL_RMczU

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Checking out No Man's Sky. Whatever mad genius decided to throw the whole "learning alien languages one word at a time" thing in there is my hero.

Unless they also prominent role in the inventory management, then it's a wash. I can build a god damned teleporter but I can't a box to put my extra stuff in? Come the hell on.

You can make boxes, but they're big, require being powered, and you can only have 10. On the plus side, they're magic boxes where you can put something into box 1 in one place and then pull them out at any other box 1 you've made.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Unless they also prominent role in the inventory management, then it's a wash. I can build a god damned teleporter but I can't a box to put my extra stuff in? Come the hell on.

You can make boxes, but they're big, require being powered, and you can only have 10. On the plus side, they're magic boxes where you can put something into box 1 in one place and then pull them out at any other box 1 you've made.

You can also upgrade your personal inventory and personal cargo space, and get a ship with a larger inventory. Oh, and you can build those 10 magic boxes on your freighter, allowing you to access them from anywhere you can summon your freighter. It takes awhile, but eventually you'll have a ton of inventory space.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    It felt like it worked as well or better than X3 going from X3 to X4 as of a few days ago.

There are still some things I felt that X3 did better, but for the most part, I don't know if I could go back at this point.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Ok now I'm sad flagship never got made

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    After a week of no internet, I finally was able to play again. I still have no idea where I need to go to pay these fines for being blown up with my cargo lost, so... Just ignore it? Ok, lol. Managed a whole five jumps without being interdicted and blown up, so that was good. Cash flowing in the right direction. And now I'm torn between upgrading my Cobra or keeping it scrubby until I get enough cash for my Asp.

• Options
    Awwww yea, another No Man's Sky update!

https://youtu.be/MaCT6L4R7bU

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

After watching this video I can only ever hear the game's name as Nomansky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqHwJSsmCBc

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020

The timing of this is pretty ideal. I've mentally adjusted to patiently peeling layers off of this onion to unlock the full set of gameplay features; and just reached the point where I was really hoping the next layer would reveal a freighter teleporter or the mechanism that lets you upgrade its storage capacity.

Blam:
    Storage Containers built upon a freighter base now add tabs to the freighter’s inventory page, allowing quick management of freighter inventory contents.

Fixed an issue that prevented the installation of technology within a freighter’s general inventory.

Teleporters can now be built aboard Freighter Bases.

https://www.nomanssky.com/desolation-update/

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Taychon was a nice bit of work for a space sim, having some of the branching and customization of a game like Privateer. But using in-game emails and Bruce Campbell's VA to give the setting some personality to make it avoid feeling sterile and lifeless like EVE or the X series.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Taychon was a nice bit of work for a space sim, having some of the branching and customization of a game like Privateer. But using in-game emails and Bruce Campbell's VA to give the setting some personality to make it avoid feeling sterile and lifeless like EVE or the X series.

I just wish its flight/gun model wasn't garbage. Oh well.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

The timing of this is pretty ideal. I've mentally adjusted to patiently peeling layers off of this onion to unlock the full set of gameplay features; and just reached the point where I was really hoping the next layer would reveal a freighter teleporter or the mechanism that lets you upgrade its storage capacity.

Blam:
    Storage Containers built upon a freighter base now add tabs to the freighter’s inventory page, allowing quick management of freighter inventory contents.

Fixed an issue that prevented the installation of technology within a freighter’s general inventory.

Teleporters can now be built aboard Freighter Bases.

https://www.nomanssky.com/desolation-update/

oh my god i'm gonna cry

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Made it out to Procyon way and found a station that sells the ship I want, so I think I'm going to hang around there for a little bit and see how long it''s take to earn the 7 mill it'll take. I'm already at 1.2, so we'll see. Also, the Sirius corp want's to grant me a permit, but all of their missions are combat oriented, so that may take a long while, lol.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Asp Explorer?

• Options
    Yep!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    There's a new pilot briefing for Squadrons that goes over the specifics of the power management system:

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/pilot-briefing-your-starfighters

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Apologies for lack of specifics, but just a heads up that if you are interested in upcoming EA games, you may want to sign up for the EA community playtesting as there may be some tests coming soon for games specifically related to this thread. It's first-come, first-serve apparently, so no idea if there are any slots left, but just wanted to make people aware.
    https://ea.arcsivr.com/Portal/EA-CTE/default

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    There's a new pilot briefing for Squadrons that goes over the specifics of the power management system:

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/pilot-briefing-your-starfighters
    That all sounds really cool. The "instruments only" part is my favorite!