As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Bigity wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Before I just out into the middle of nowhere, I have a question. Where are the safe places to save? Normally I save at a space station. but half way around the galaxy there isn't going to be one. Just next to the star when you just out? That doesn't seem safe. Do you have to find a planet to land on? I may have to practice. Or just be in deep space out of supercruise in the middle of nothing so there isn't anything to bump into.

Elite? Anywhere is 'safe' basically (except maybe active conflict zones. You log back into local space in your own instance, even in Open. Inside a station, I am not sure about that, but you'll be safe there anyway. Out in space you won't like log back into the 'hot' zone of a star, or tumbling through an asteroid field/ring.

I thought you could log back into the game inside a star or planet/moon...at least, that's what I've been reading. Basically, while you're out, the movement of the planets/stars continues, so make sure you log out in deep space well away from any orbital planes was what I've found while Googling before I take off for Colonia.

I don't think that happens outside of bugs...which being Elite, you roll your dice and you takes your chances. I logged out all the time near planets, etc (waiting for unsuspecting PP haulers from the dirty Imps) and never had issues.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Before I just out into the middle of nowhere, I have a question. Where are the safe places to save? Normally I save at a space station. but half way around the galaxy there isn't going to be one. Just next to the star when you just out? That doesn't seem safe. Do you have to find a planet to land on? I may have to practice. Or just be in deep space out of supercruise in the middle of nothing so there isn't anything to bump into.

Elite? Anywhere is 'safe' basically (except maybe active conflict zones. You log back into local space in your own instance, even in Open. Inside a station, I am not sure about that, but you'll be safe there anyway. Out in space you won't like log back into the 'hot' zone of a star, or tumbling through an asteroid field/ring.

I thought you could log back into the game inside a star or planet/moon...at least, that's what I've been reading. Basically, while you're out, the movement of the planets/stars continues, so make sure you log out in deep space well away from any orbital planes was what I've found while Googling before I take off for Colonia.

I don't think that happens outside of bugs...which being Elite, you roll your dice and you takes your chances. I logged out all the time near planets, etc (waiting for unsuspecting PP haulers from the dirty Imps) and never had issues.

I mean, we know that planets move along their orbital planes, what we don't know is how quickly they move along their orbital paths. So maybe you just got lucky. With my luck, I'm staying well far away from any orbital plane.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Decided to break out the flight stick and reinstall elite. Haven't played in so damn long. Have a sneaking suspicion I left myself about halfway into a journey to the center of the galaxy in a sidewinder lol.

edit: oof. was closer to the middle than I thought. ~20ly range. wonder if I can get home by christmas.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Made a trip to the Orion tourist center. Very pretty. This slash of stars looks amazing. Though I definitely need a better FSD, I don't think I'm even at 20 lys atm.

• Options
    740 jumps til I can dock somewhere lol

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man...flight chair made it to my local distribution centre. Same city, and even then went to the next step of being 'Out for Delivery' but it never made it

That was a week ago now, I feel like it's just sitting on the truck and no one wants to lift the heavy package.

Called them up and they said heavy stuff is hard cause of social distancing and needing 2 people to lift.

• Options
    Question. Aside from engineering, how would you go about regulating the heat on an Asp Explorer? My Cobra could get under 30 after I got away from the star. The Asp won't get under 33. I have a heat sink in one of the utility slots, and a class 6 fuel scoop to try to only be around the star as long as absolutely necessary. Course, it's only a class E, cuz money and I haven't found anything better, lol.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Decided to break out the flight stick and reinstall elite. Haven't played in so damn long. Have a sneaking suspicion I left myself about halfway into a journey to the center of the galaxy in a sidewinder lol.

edit: oof. was closer to the middle than I thought. ~20ly range. wonder if I can get home by christmas.

The good news is there's a station at the core now, so you can buy a ship with longer legs when you arrive. :)

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Question. Aside from engineering, how would you go about regulating the heat on an Asp Explorer? My Cobra could get under 30 after I got away from the star. The Asp won't get under 33. I have a heat sink in one of the utility slots, and a class 6 fuel scoop to try to only be around the star as long as absolutely necessary. Course, it's only a class E, cuz money and I haven't found anything better, lol.

Better rated power plants will help. You can also engineer them with Low Emissions to reduce it further.

But personally I think an Asp E is a good generalist for solo work which means for engineering, more power to support all your higher rated modules is better than low emissions for stealth.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

The good news is there's a station at the core now, so you can buy a ship with longer legs when you arrive. :)

483 jumps. I'll take it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Got my flight stick working properly again. Worked but couldn't set macros or anything properly and the mouse buttons wouldn't work. Turned out it just needed a restart after install.

Holy fuck route planning is so much faster than when I last played.

Running about a minute per jump so I'll be docked by some time next week hopefully.

Have a sneaking suspicion my mountain of exploration data from when I last played no longer exists but maybe I'll get a pleasant surprise when I land.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Some day I will take the time to learn how to explore good in Elite. I feel like it would be kind of mystical to get lost in deep space in VR in Elite -- I've been sticking to mostly short sessions killing stuff in asteroid belts lately.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Docked and got 87 mil from exploration. Guess I lost my old data. :(

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    boooooo

• Options
    To be fair it was from pre-Horizons so very very old.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Vendetta Online is now free to PC players:

https://www.facebook.com/vendettaonline/posts/10157099696991227

Get some space-fencing in!

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options
    Ugh, why is so much of the galaxy walled off behind permits, lol. Do you know how far out of my way I had to go to get to The Gnosis from the Orion Tourist station? I watched the entire first season of Korra, a Joe Rogan podcast, three stand up specials and a good 45 minutes Soma FM. And I got disconnected, which thankfully didn't erase the ~6 million in cartography data I had. (Got me to Pathfinder!) Gah, that took way longer than I was expecting. So, what makes the nav computer decide it can't find a route? Because it took forever to get into clean space because it seemed like an entire nebula was a permit zone. Now, off to bed!

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Barnard's Loop? Yeah, that's about right.

• Options
    To be fair it was from pre-Horizons so very very old.

Yes I think I recall now that all of that data was reset at one point, when they added the new scanning mechanics or something maybe?

• Options
    Gonna fly all the way back to civilization proper now. Should get me to elite exploration in my starting sidewinder lol.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I just found out that the place I docked last night is a megaship that jumps around every so often. Now the question becomes, do I head out from where it's at now, or wait until after Thursday when it jumps into the Dumbbell region. Seems kind of lateral in regards to Colonia, so I may wait it out. But that is pretty neat that they have stuff out there that moves into new places like that. Since I'm probably not going to make use of a carrier to get where I'm going any time soon, this will be fun.

• Options
    Not sure what I'll do when I get there. Maybe tool around in eagles re-learning combat or something. Triple elite in sidewinder only would be hilarious, but combat would be a hell of a chore and trader would probably a heat death of the universe deal.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Not sure what I'll do when I get there. Maybe tool around in eagles re-learning combat or something. Triple elite in sidewinder only would be hilarious, but combat would be a hell of a chore and trader would probably a heat death of the universe deal.

It's not horrible depending on what size the pile of credits you start with. And if you are not above hauling slaves or drugs around.

Course, most of my trading rank probably came from hauling shit back to the bubble from Sothis (?) and Ceos with 30 NPC pirates on my tail the whole time.

• Options
    So, which button activates the full spectrum scanner? I can't find it in the controls.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    In the controls menu, it's under Mode Switches. All the way at the bottom of the section. Just before the Interface Mode section.
    You'll also want to check out the FSS section, to bind those controls, as well as the button to leave FSS.

• Options
    Ok, found it. It's which it doesn't tell you in the FSS controls tab for some reason, lol. Now the big question is should I head back to the bubble to get an A grade FSD before I head out to Colonia, or just go. Range is about 20 LY at the moment, but I'm about 1k LY away from the bubble already, in whatever system The Gnosis is at right now.

• Options
    Docked and got my exploration elite. Feels good to have shields again.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    FranganFrangan Registered User regular
    Anyone know of any games like Escape Velocity Nova? I loved that game, but it looks like the 2D space enterprise sims have died out :(

Developed a hard sci-fi RPG with base building and survival elements called Titan Outpost. It's on Steam.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Frangan wrote: »
    Anyone know of any games like Escape Velocity Nova? I loved that game, but it looks like the 2D space enterprise sims have died out :(

Rebel Galaxy?

The graphics are 3d but from what I understand all the gameplay is on a 2d plane.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Rebel Galaxy?

The graphics are 3d but from what I understand all the gameplay is on a 2d plane.

If you can't wait for the EV: Override spiritual successor (Cosmic Frontier: Override), Space Rangers might work? Sure, it's turn-based and melds together a bunch of other game-types (like a rudimentary RTS for planetside battles).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

https://fractalsoftworks.com/

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Let me introduce you to a little indie title called Starsector!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yeah, what they said. Basically Mount & Blade in Space. So much fun, so many hours lost to it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    did anyone say starsector

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FranganFrangan Registered User regular
    Awesome, Starsector looks the part to me! I'll check it out. Thanks a lot.

I played Rebel Galaxy Outlaw but it didn't scratch that itch at all for me.

Developed a hard sci-fi RPG with base building and survival elements called Titan Outpost. It's on Steam.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Starsector has a thriving modding community, by the way. The official modding forum has a stickied thread that links to the major projects.

Apart from the utility, backend or visual mods, the currently maintained faction mods have reached a point where they're largely balanced between vanilla and themselves, while keeping their flavors distinct.

I currently play with a Space Battleship, a flying hanger and a flock of mobile suits, operating out of a base orbiting a black hole- the way god intended.

Easily among my favorite games.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    First leg of the trip out to Colonia is done. I'm now in the Lagoon Nebula at some planetside outpost that does not have outfitting, lol. But, I managed get first discoveries in like twelve systems, so go me! Got me from a little under ten mill, to a little over twenty two mill from cartography data. Now the question is how to get a little off the beaten path to the next stop, so it's not all already discovered. I'll have to look at the map and see what's neat looking where. I will say, that about fifty or so jumps from Lagoon, when the new stars start poking through the veil, was super cool.

• Options
    kralizecckralizecc Registered User regular
    I keep telling myself I just need to fully engineer my exploration ship build before I head out into the deep dark, but I never actually do it.

In warframe on PC my name is severenn
  • Options
    Hell, my ship doesn't even have an A rated FSD yet. But screw it, I'm sure they sell them somewhere along the way. Just go and see what you can see.

• Options
    kralizecc wrote: »
    I keep telling myself I just need to fully engineer my exploration ship build before I head out into the deep dark, but I never actually do it.
    If I can go to Sag A* and back in this, you can go do stuff in whatever fancy pants ship you're using.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg