As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I got bored doing transport runs, so I decided to D rate everything but the FSD (got that to B ), add a couple of fuel tanks to go with my scoop and jumped from Wolf 1453 to Maia to pick up a meta alloy. Now I get to jump to Eurybia. Another 300+ LYs. I should be close to 7 mill just from cartographics from those two trips. I had one engineer contact me already, but I should be able to get Felicity by the time I get to Eurybia. Hopefully the single meta alloy doesn't attract any unwanted attention, because I will be pissed if I lose ~2 mill credits on the way back, lol.

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Cool, just consider switching to solo or private before going to Deciat (or other engineer sites). It's a favorite haunt for gankers.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Couple of gameplay vids from Star Wars: Squadrons, with the disclaimer that I haven't had a chance to watch them myself yet.

Dogfight mode
    https://youtu.be/CYp3zKLNNRE

Fleet Battles
    https://youtu.be/0UztZyt3O-0

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I got bored doing transport runs, so I decided to D rate everything but the FSD (got that to B ), add a couple of fuel tanks to go with my scoop and jumped from Wolf 1453 to Maia to pick up a meta alloy. Now I get to jump to Eurybia. Another 300+ LYs. I should be close to 7 mill just from cartographics from those two trips. I had one engineer contact me already, but I should be able to get Felicity by the time I get to Eurybia. Hopefully the single meta alloy doesn't attract any unwanted attention, because I will be pissed if I lose ~2 mill credits on the way back, lol.

It will. Thankfully, you'll get plenty of interdiction evasion practice in. Or, if you're like me and did the rep grind and LTD hotspot farming and have a Cutter, just let yourself get interdicted and low wake out of there...it's not like anything can stop you.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Couple of gameplay vids from Star Wars: Squadrons, with the disclaimer that I haven't had a chance to watch them myself yet.

Dogfight mode

Fleet Battles

It feels... slow? It might be the scale of things, but the fighters all seemed to be sluggish.

Also, odd that they decided to make the TIE Interceptor’s lasers look and sound different.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Just guessing but it will probably feel faster when there are 20+ other fighters instead of 1v1.

Edit: guess its only 5v5 which is a little disappointing.

Enigmedic on
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    There are plenty of new gameplay videos on Youtube now. EA have had some sort of online event for ”media”. Seen a few videos so far and I think it looks good.

• Options
    Zerocz wrote: »
    Cool, just consider switching to solo or private before going to Deciat (or other engineer sites). It's a favorite haunt for gankers.

Oh, I'm already in solo lol. Of course that didn't stop an NPC from killing me a couple times when I had a full ship. Would getting a few tons of commodities to jettison help my chances?

• Options
    It could. If you get hit with a hatch-breaker, it might dump those first. Also, some npc pirates will demand a percentage of your cargo. So, in theory, you could give them that, and they'd leave you alone. Problem is not all of them will be that polite. I usually just beat the interdiction, or drop and destroy them.

• Options
    Ugh. My track record in my Cobra is 0-2, lol. May have to just sell my cartographics here so I'm not out that much cash plus the item.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

Dogfight mode

Fleet Battles

It feels... slow? It might be the scale of things, but the fighters all seemed to be sluggish.

Also, odd that they decided to make the TIE Interceptor’s lasers look and sound different.

It took a lot of fire to take down that X-Wing (and presumably even an unshielded TIE Interceptor). They're going much more for Totally Games than the films/Battlefront 2.

That's a choice to make. All I'm asking EA: if you can toggle the firing mode to pairs (two shots, rather than all four at once), the TIE Interceptor's laser cannons sync the top pair and bottom pair, unlike the X-Wing where they sync diagonally.

That's all I'm asking, EA.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I don't know how I feel about these 'supply points' in Star Wars Squadrons you just fly through and are magically repaired and rearmed. I was expecting more of the old games system where you called for supply and a ship came out to you, and you had to sit there.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    I don't know how I feel about these 'supply points' in Star Wars Squadrons you just fly through and are magically repaired and rearmed. I was expecting more of the old games system where you called for supply and a ship came out to you, and you had to sit there.

In a multiplayer setting, I think that's a little too dependent the resupply ship not getting shot down immediately after spawning, unfortunately.

• Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Seems like those supply points are dropped by the support craft.

• Options

Again, probably a necessary thing for multiplayer, but kind of lame.

Not as lame as the support craft projecting a gigantic sphere that they occupy the center off and resupply/repairs requiring you fly near them until the timer that appears reaches zero, but perhaps not as cool as forcing players to actually dock with the supply aircraft, Totally Games style.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Again, probably a necessary thing for multiplayer, but kind of lame.

Not as lame as the support craft projecting a gigantic sphere that they occupy the center off and resupply/repairs requiring you fly near them until the timer that appears reaches zero, but perhaps not as cool as forcing players to actually dock with the supply aircraft, Totally Games style.

When the guy picked it up, it said 'resupplied by Squadron-42' or whatever, which is what all the players were labeled as (Squadrons-XX). So I think the pickup thing was dropped off by the U-wing player, which they have designated as a support class (as opposed to passive pickups that just show up around the battlefield). So basically its allowing players to play as support instead of everybody having to go all offense all the time.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    Ok so that's not quite as bad (than just being some spawn like a mushroom in mario kart), but still a little too arcadey to me. Still looks like a blast, hopefully we get a more simulation version down the road if this does well.

• Options
    Whoot! Made it to Deciat with my meta alloy intact and two engineers open. I just have to go and get the second, lol. Now I just need the mats. Ugh. But the jumping around was fun. And I'm over 4 million now, so that's a plus. Just need to find some random location hell and gone from where I am and get to jumping. Tell you what though, I was interdicted twice and it was pretty nerve wracking. Three other times, I got away before they could interdict. From Eurybia to Deciat I didn't play as safe, just jumped as soon as I was done scanning and below 40 degrees. None of that fill up your tanks stuff, lol.

• Options
    The Ngalinn<->Mainani courier mission Imperial rep grind gets you a ton of practice with evading interdictions and gets you more used to them happening (which makes the whole experience far less nerve wracking).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Dogfight mode

Fleet Battles

Re: Slow

It doesn't look too far off my expectations, overall. I'm assuming we're seeing more or less stock engagements and they would need to be slow to make the upgrades pop without being ridiculous.

Ex: The TIE Bomber at the end of the fleet battle video (9:40) has a rapid fire laser that shreds an X-Wing in a second or two; but has to lock on. I have to assume this is not the stock laser for the Bomber, because it has never been portrayed as an A-10.

The initial dev interview mentioned that they wanted upgrades to be dramatic distinctions, rather than incremental stat bonuses. If the average stock time-to-kill (TTK) was already basically two seconds, that creates some problems for that design goal:

- A relative reduction in a short TTK is going to feel less meaningful to both attacker and defender.
    - A short TTK, that already strains your brain's ability to react, narrows gameplay options for weapons to behave in fundamentally different ways while maintaining balance.

A longer TTK gives them more room for the kind of gameplay variation they want, but also requires flight mechanics docile enough for the average players to keep rounds on target long enough to kill it. Since speed and agility are also upgradable, the stock performance levels might need to lower the bar a bit more.

(For some great examples on how to fuck that delicate balance up, look no further than the trail of discarded flight models floating in Star Citizen's wake)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Quick question about engineers before I start dumping time and money into them. If, let's say I get the first step of FSD augments, does that only apply to the ship I'm in at the moment? Or if I buy a new ship does it transfer? Would I have to go back to the engineer base at all?

• Options
    edited July 2020
    You're engineering the module itself, not the ship. You can transfer it to another ship via outfitting, if it fits. Mostly you'll pin blueprints, use remote engineering to improve the modules on a new ship, then visit the engineer themselves only to apply a special effect.

Edit:
    Oh, but I think you can only remotely do the ranks you unlocked while there in-person.

Zerocz on
  • Options
    Quick question about engineers before I start dumping time and money into them. If, let's say I get the first step of FSD augments, does that only apply to the ship I'm in at the moment? Or if I buy a new ship does it transfer? Would I have to go back to the engineer base at all?

The engineered bit is the specific part that you're engineering. So, in your case of the FSD, it'll be whatever FSD is installed in the ship you're in when you apply the engineering. You can pin specific blueprints that you want (let's say, FSD range) so you don't have to go back to the specific engineer...but the limitation is that you 1) won't gain engineer XP from remote engineering, and 2) you don't have access to the experimental effects from remote engineering your parts.

On the other hand, if you're in a ship with an FSD that can be transferred to another ship, then you'll retain the engineering as long as you don't sell the ship with the FSD in it.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

Dogfight mode

Fleet Battles

The TIE Interceptors lasers were likely an equipped weapons package.

Also you can re-arm by support craft, by docking with the capital ship, or by flying under an allied frigate.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

Dogfight mode

Fleet Battles

The TIE Interceptors lasers were likely an equipped weapons package.

Also you can re-arm by support craft, by docking with the capital ship, or by flying under an allied frigate.

Yeah, I forgot you could swap out equipment. There was another video where it was firing the default lasers.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    The fact that those Ties were taking dozens of laser shots does not exactly get me hyped.

• Options
    Before I just out into the middle of nowhere, I have a question. Where are the safe places to save? Normally I save at a space station. but half way around the galaxy there isn't going to be one. Just next to the star when you just out? That doesn't seem safe. Do you have to find a planet to land on? I may have to practice. Or just be in deep space out of supercruise in the middle of nothing so there isn't anything to bump into.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Before I just out into the middle of nowhere, I have a question. Where are the safe places to save? Normally I save at a space station. but half way around the galaxy there isn't going to be one. Just next to the star when you just out? That doesn't seem safe. Do you have to find a planet to land on? I may have to practice. Or just be in deep space out of supercruise in the middle of nothing so there isn't anything to bump into.

Elite? Anywhere is 'safe' basically (except maybe active conflict zones. You log back into local space in your own instance, even in Open. Inside a station, I am not sure about that, but you'll be safe there anyway. Out in space you won't like log back into the 'hot' zone of a star, or tumbling through an asteroid field/ring.

Bigity on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, those community goal zones are a hotbed for gankers.

I love trolling them so much with my Type-7.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Bigity wrote: »

Elite? Anywhere is 'safe' basically (except maybe active conflict zones. You log back into local space in your own instance, even in Open. Inside a station, I am not sure about that, but you'll be safe there anyway. Out in space you won't like log back into the 'hot' zone of a star, or tumbling through an asteroid field/ring.

I thought you could log back into the game inside a star or planet/moon...at least, that's what I've been reading. Basically, while you're out, the movement of the planets/stars continues, so make sure you log out in deep space well away from any orbital planes was what I've found while Googling before I take off for Colonia.

• Options

A few hundred ls above or below the ecliptic(i.e. out of any possible orbital paths) should be fine. On my current trip I’ve been landing before logging out, and haven’t had any issues, though I think a while back people did have problems with logging in to a destroyed ship when doing this.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    The fact that those Ties were taking dozens of laser shots does not exactly get me hyped.

Easier learning curve for both sides? :?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Easier learning curve for both sides? :?

They also could have had reinforced hull plating or the people firing on them could have had very little power in their weapons at that moment.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Freespace 2 modding continues on pace with three new destroyer upgrades coming soon.
    https://i.imgur.com/BNbrhBC.png
    https://i.imgur.com/OGT1Vbz.png

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Pure Shivan nightmare fuel

10/10 your heart will sink when you see that slip space in.

• Options
    Well, I'm up to Trailblazer and all I've done is go back and forth to a couple of engineer bases. And I've been upgrading my Cobra, so my Asp keeps getting further away, lol. I haven't decided if I want to trade my Cobra in or not. I really can't see what I would use it for after I pick up the new ship. Hmm, does it take what grade your modules are when you trade it in, or do you want to strip it before hand?

• Options
    If you sell or trade in your ship, you will lose 10% of the total value. If you sell individual components, you'll get full value for each piece.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Everspace 2, alpha footage. Looks good so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txJQ_sKzvjQ

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Everspace the first will always have a special place in my heart for the way my successful run through the tutorial campaign worked out.

One of those rare cases where story and gameplay matched perfectly.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Finally got my Asp Explorer! Yay, lol. Took a trip out to Evangelis to get the last bit of cartography cash and buy the ship. Then I noticed I went the other direction to Colonia, lol. Oh well, it's just another 1k LYs added on. But I'm on the edge of the Witch Head nebula, so I might do some looking around before I take another longer trip. Or at least get some cash to A rate the stuff I need A rated.