As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Space Sim Megathread | Getting a Barbarosa from the Vigor Syndicate is Hard

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Just bought a used Oculus Rift S to play the Star Wars game with :biggrin: (And all other fun VR games ofc).

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Just bought a used Oculus Rift S to play the Star Wars game with :biggrin: (And all other fun VR games ofc).

Hopefully PvP in VR compared to pancake play won't be a hindrance like it is in some other titles.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    So. . . this may be crazy, but reading more about Squadrons and I get the feeling that at least one of the multiplayer game modes (maybe the main one) actually has you not just in the cockpit of your own fighter, but actually commanding your own Squadron (of NPCs). Like you got five players on your team and each has their own Squadron.

Lines like this make me raise my eyebrow, "Modify your starfighter and adjust the composition of your squadron to suit varying playstyles."

Which, I would be in to.

As long as someone tells me to do a barrel role. PLEASE I NEED THIS!

Especially if they really mean for you to do an aileron roll. :)

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So. . . this may be crazy, but reading more about Squadrons and I get the feeling that at least one of the multiplayer game modes (maybe the main one) actually has you not just in the cockpit of your own fighter, but actually commanding your own Squadron (of NPCs). Like you got five players on your team and each has their own Squadron.

Lines like this make me raise my eyebrow, "Modify your starfighter and adjust the composition of your squadron to suit varying playstyles."

Which, I would be in to.

Rodan roll:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQSHd5KaHCU

(at 2:33)

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Secret Order of the Emperor! Rad tattoo, too.

4d61f25898933d3611d584e88ccae92f--nerdy-tattoos-lyn.jpg

That prompts a, in retrospect, hilarious "are we the baddies?" talk between Maarek Stele, the canon TIE Pilot of the games, and some of his friends.
    He stays loyal to the Empire ultimately, but it's still good conversation.

I've borrowed "Mark Steele" (callsign "Patriot") as a pilot name for various other "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH" fighter sims.

I usually go with "Stud Beefpile".
    Anyone played Escape Velocity? The remake just successfully completed a kickstarter (rebranded as Cosmic Frontier: Override).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »

Which, I would be in to.

Rodan roll:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EQSHd5KaHCU

(at 2:33)

rodan roll sounds like some sort of spicy chicken sushi

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular

That prompts a, in retrospect, hilarious "are we the baddies?" talk between Maarek Stele, the canon TIE Pilot of the games, and some of his friends.

I've borrowed "Mark Steele" (callsign "Patriot") as a pilot name for various other "AMERICA, FUCK YEAH" fighter sims.

Anyone played Escape Velocity? The remake just successfully completed a kickstarter (rebranded as Cosmic Frontier: Override).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

Omg what an EV remake?! Ohhh my childhooooood

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    The skill / gear progression type system they allude to is fun in HOTAC, but it would be absurd to apply that to vanilla, competitive X Wing (minis) unless you can just buy the ships/cards you wan-

Oh.

Hmm.
    I mean to be honest anyone who played any of the original xwing games or hell even rogue squadron are olds and game companies don't always cater to olds. Sorry olds.

Perhaps that's for the best.

*Glances nervously at cases full of X-wing minis*

YcABPkX.jpg

I'm sorry, did you say something?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

Omg what an EV remake?! Ohhh my childhooooood

EV: Nova was my introduction to the series. So, ohhh my...um...early-20s! That said, I'm bummed I didn't hear about the reboot sooner!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Kind of weird that they're talking about it being a spiritual sequel to Override and not Nova, which iirc is much better known because it got an official PC release (EV and EV:O were Mac-only until they got ported into EVN plugins).

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Not just a spiritual sequel, they're sorta referring to it as a reprint. Looking at the main and FAQ pages, Matt Burch (EO's original author) has no objections to the remake but doesn't want it called "Escape Velocity". Meanwhile, Nova was co-developed by Australian team ATMOS and neither of them are particularly interested in EO1 or Nova remakes right now.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    The skill / gear progression type system they allude to is fun in HOTAC, but it would be absurd to apply that to vanilla, competitive X Wing (minis) unless you can just buy the ships/cards you wan-

Oh.

Hmm.
    I mean to be honest anyone who played any of the original xwing games or hell even rogue squadron are olds and game companies don't always cater to olds. Sorry olds.

Perhaps that's for the best.

*Glances nervously at cases full of X-wing minis*

YcABPkX.jpg

I'm sorry, did you say something?

Looks like you're only 27 assorted TIE variants and a Decimator short of hosting a 6p HOTAC campaign!

(Though you look pretty well stocked for an Imperial campaign that the author thankfully never got around to making)

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    2/10, not enough Y-Wings.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Not just a spiritual sequel, they're sorta referring to it as a reprint. Looking at the main and FAQ pages, Matt Burch (EO's original author) has no objections to the remake but doesn't want it called "Escape Velocity". Meanwhile, Nova was co-developed by Australian team ATMOS and neither of them are particularly interested in EO1 or Nova remakes right now.

Yeah, they're just porting Escape Velocity: Override (a.k.a. EV2 a.k.a. the best one) to modern operating systems. But they weren't allowed to use the original name (thus Cosmic Frontier) or the plot/assets of EV1 or EV3 (i.e., EV: Nova).

But you should be able to buy it once it's finished. I don't think you'll have to wait all that long.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

Yeah, they're just porting Escape Velocity: Override (a.k.a. EV2 a.k.a. the best one) to modern operating systems. But they weren't allowed to use the original name (thus Cosmic Frontier) or the plot/assets of EV1 or EV3 (i.e., EV: Nova).

But you should be able to buy it once it's finished. I don't think you'll have to wait all that long.

Thanks for the info, both of you. Last time I played EVO it was with a PC barely running a Mac emulator in DOS (the windows version ran even worse). Looking forward to the nostalgia trip.

My body, and more importantly, my credit card, are ready.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Call me when they have Gillian Anderson back in the studio for another Hellbender game...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

Gameplay preview of Squadrons on Thursday!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I still follow Hector D Byrd on twitter.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Thinking about it, the inclusion of the U-Wing and TIE Reaper suggests that there might be a territory control/CTF element to the gameplay?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Thinking about it, the inclusion of the U-Wing and TIE Reaper suggests that there might be a territory control/CTF element to the gameplay?

It was more my understanding that these were modified variants meant to 'support'. Not necessarily support in a sense of like a hero shooter, but yeah. Maybe they're tanky too.

Although, anyone remember this gem?
    2428391-box_dsupf.png

OpposingFarce on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Squadrons will supports full HOTAS setups

I... might actually buy a HOTAS setup if this is good. It's been a long, long time since I've played a flight sim.

Somebody mentioned the Battlefront II campaign upthread, personally I thought it was fine. It wasn't mind blowing, it wasn't terrible. The new characters were engaging enough and the story was passable if predictable.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Wow. I am kind of shocked that we are getting a Star Wars spaceship game with VR and HOTAS support. Whatever it winds up being, that is way beyond what I could have expected going into this.

If there is a competitive disadvantage for using VR, I feel like I'm still going to be way better off on the balance. I know "seeing distant objects" becomes an issue, but I would be surprised if the game has you doing targeting by sight like that. Even if so, the advantages of VR are huge for me. I was terrible at the Elite combat with just joystick or HOTAS, but as soon as I went into VR it was an incredible difference. Head tracking is so good in a "figher pilot" game, and it was so much easier for me to keep track of and ultimately hit my target than it ever was before.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Wow. I am kind of shocked that we are getting a Star Wars spaceship game with VR and HOTAS support. Whatever it winds up being, that is way beyond what I could have expected going into this.

If there is a competitive disadvantage for using VR, I feel like I'm still going to be way better off on the balance. I know "seeing distant objects" becomes an issue, but I would be surprised if the game has you doing targeting by sight like that. Even if so, the advantages of VR are huge for me. I was terrible at the Elite combat with just joystick or HOTAS, but as soon as I went into VR it was an incredible difference. Head tracking is so good in a "figher pilot" game, and it was so much easier for me to keep track of and ultimately hit my target than it ever was before.

The VR-distance issue is less of a problem with more modern games, as radar and IFF functionality forgive a multitude of sins.

WW2 games? That plane over there is a 3-pixel smudge, until it gets really close, at which point it turns into ... some kind of monoplane-shaped smudge. Could be a Mosquito, could be a Fokker, who knows?

But add in radar, and that 3-pixel smudge now has a 10-pixel red box around it, which is a horse of a different color. :D

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Squadrons will supports full HOTAS setups

I... might actually buy a HOTAS setup if this is good. It's been a long, long time since I've played a flight sim.

Somebody mentioned the Battlefront II campaign upthread, personally I thought it was fine. It wasn't mind blowing, it wasn't terrible. The new characters were engaging enough and the story was passable if predictable.

I am sooooooo glad I bought that Thrustmaster T16000m a few months back.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I’ll be honest, even though I have a joystick I’ll still end up using an Xbox controller for Squadrons.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    cf14414cc8ce8a5e691b2a77dc4e3918.jpg

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Man, this Recycle Ships and Stations mod for X4 is great. I just captured an Elephant from the jerks of the ZHA and since I had already captured one, I decided to recycle it. Not only did I get some expensive blueprints from it, but I also got a crap ton of components. I don't remember the breakdown, but you get a percentage of what it takes to build, depending on the skill of your manager. I just got over 58,000 hull parts alone from it. Screw slowly setting up infrastructure for my shipyard. I'm going into the Repo and Recycling business.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    4PM PT for gameplay stream today.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »
    4PM PT for gameplay stream today.

It's more than just Squadrons gameplay. It's the full EA Play stream. Personally, I'm looking forward to being disappointed in no mention of Titanfall 3.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Let me just preorder that now.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The only 4 ships per faction thing has me really disappointed. Even with the customization thats gonna get old as hell fast. The rest of the game looked amazing though.

Edit: the press release was misleading as hell because it made it seem like there was tons of ships you could choose from.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The only 4 ships per faction thing has me really disappointed. Even with the customization thats gonna get old as hell fast. The rest of the game looked amazing though.

Edit: the press release was misleading as hell because it made it seem like there was tons of ships you could choose from.

Is going to be a hard enough balancing Republic forces vs an equal number of Imperials (who we're accustomed to seeing rely on superior numbers). Sticking to cleanly defined mission roles like F/A/E/B is going to make that a lot easier.

I'm not thrilled by the idea, but I'm not surprised.

Edit: is there a separate video yet or would I have to slog through a stream?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    From the trailer the single player side sounds anemic and probably going to be pretty short but being able to single player the assault mode to take down star destroyers and such might cover for it.

• Options

Is going to be a hard enough balancing Republic forces vs an equal number of Imperials (who we're accustomed to seeing rely on superior numbers). Sticking to cleanly defined mission roles like F/A/E/B is going to make that a lot easier.

I'm not thrilled by the idea, but I'm not surprised.

Edit: is there a separate video yet or would I have to slog through a stream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcfJ9uEwvs

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Flashy, but I don't see a target reticule, and I do see evidence of aim assist. Some depth with the mechanics and it looks like there's at least inertia? Might be fun, color me...cautiously cautious, like someone else up-thread.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Looks super-arcadey like I expected, but it also looks like they trying to make it look/feel very much like the movie starfighter scenes, in a good way. High speeds and more momentum in the movement than the simulator games did.

It's from EA so I won't be touching it with a thirty-foot lightsaber, but it could be good.

• Options
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    So... they're just charging head first into "How do you finagle it so the standard TIE measures up to... any of those ships?"

Ok.

I like the big battle concept, but now I'm curious how respawns are implemented. Maybe the ln's will have a shorter timer?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Shield have [adjustable] front-to-back orientation and — something else we really like — is that not every ship has shields. We thought having just a hull for the other ships felt not great. So, we wanted to give them some kind of equivalent but different ability. The ships that don’t have shields have a quick power conversion ability, using some of the same buttons and inputs. You can rapidly reroute power from engine to lasers or vice versa.

Basically, it seriously debuffs the other system when you do that. If I fully pull all the juice out of my engines and dump it into my lasers, I can get instantaneous supercharged lasers, which is great. But my ships like put-put-put for those few seconds once I’ve done that. Similarly, I can’t shoot at all for a few seconds if I go the other way. But it can really help those ships, like TIE fighters that don’t have shields, they can kind of do things you don’t expect and get out of a jam when they need to.

Intriguing way to make TIEs have more parity with shielded fighters.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png