As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Orlando Mass-Shooting

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited June 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
THINGS THIS THREAD IS NOT:

- A DISCUSSION ABOUT GUN CONTROL
- AN ARGUMENT ABOUT RELIGION

I will report people otherwise

What a thing to wake up to. I feel like fleeing as fast as I can, but where to? The world is a ball of hate right now, and it feels like everyone has a bead on people like me.

The story:
Mayor Buddy Dyer said 50 people were killed and dozens more wounded in the attack at Pulse Orlando, a gay club just south of downtown.

Police Chief John Mina said the tragedy began at 2:02 a.m., when three police officers engaged in a gun battle with a suspect outside the club. A hostage situation then took place inside, and a SWAT team was called in, Mina said. Police received updates from patrons trapped in the club, and decided to storm the club at about 5 a.m.

"Our biggest concern was further loss of life," Mina said. "We exchanged gunfire with the suspect, and he was dead at the scene."

A federal law enforcement official told USA TODAY the suspect had been identified as Omar Mateen of Port St. Lucie, Fla.

Orlando nightclub shooting: What we know

Mina said 42 people were transferred to local hospitals, and one officer was wounded. He said at least 30 people were rescued.

"Tonight our community witnessed a horrific crime... that will have a lasting effect on our community," a solemn Dyer said.

FBI Special Agent Ronald Hopper said the case was being investigated as a possible act of terrorism, either domestic or international. It was not clear if the shooter acted alone, he said. He said authorities were trying to determine if there was a connection with radical Islam.

"We do have suggestions that the individual may have leanings toward that particular ideology," Hopper said.

A federal law enforcement official told USA TODAY investigators were reviewing the attacker’s possible utterances that may provide more specific information about a terror ideology or affiliation. The official, who was not authorized to comment, characterized the attack as “certainly’’ terrorism. It was not immediately clear whether investigators were aware of the attacker prior to the assault.

Mina said the gunman was armed with an assault rifle, a handgun and some sort of unidentified device. Officers from multiple agencies and dozens of emergency vehicles responded to the scene. Orange County Fire and Rescue called for gurneys to move victims from the club.

Many of the casualties were rushed to Orlando Regional Medical Center, which was placed on lockdown.

"We can confirm this is a mass casualty situation. Support from local/state/federal agencies," Orlando police tweeted about four hours after events began to unfold. Then, a short time later: "Pulse Shooting: The shooter inside the club is dead."

The White House said President Obama was getting updates on the case from Homeland Security.

Mina said there was no indication that there was more than one shooter. A bomb squad was at the scene, and police reported conducting a "controlled explosion."

Hours after the shooting, police were still trying to piece together what happened.

"Anyone who was at Pulse nightclub and was a witness Please come to the Orlando Police HQ," the department tweeted. "Any information you have could aid investigators in this case."

The LA Times has a report on the alleged gunman:
- The gunman has been identified as 29-year-old Omar Mateen, a U.S. law enforcement official said.
- He was killed by law enforcement. He had an assault rifle, handgun and another "device."
- Mateen lived in Fort Pierce, Fla., the law enforcement official said. Fort Pierce is about 120 miles south of Orlando on the state's Atlantic coast.
- The FBI says they cannot rule this out as an act of domestic terrorism.

Tentatively, this has all the ear marks of a premeditated act of terrorism likely rooted in religious extremism. :cry:

Thoughts and much love to the victims and families at this time. I'm so incredibly sorry.

UPDATES TO OP:

- Info about the alleged shooter - The takeaway here is despite being on a federal terror watch list, he was licensed to carry firearms and probably purchased his weapons through legal means.
- A drag show was the main feature that night at the club
13417455_854846721287841_7719100722620032712_n.jpg?oh=116182291b265ed07a5df46c23a784b7&oe=57D269BE
- Family says attack was rooted in non-religiously-motivated homophobia
- FBI investigated Omar Mateen in 2013 and 2014 for ties to Islamic jihadists
- Mateen's weapon was AR-15, confirms police chief
- Shooter's father makes statement:
“We are apologizing for the whole incident. We weren’t aware of any action he is taking, we are in shock like the whole country. This had nothing to do with religion,” the gunman’s father, Mir Seddique, said. However, he also claimed his son got very angry when he saw two men kissing in downtown Miami recently.

“We were in Downtown Miami, Bayside, people were playing music,” Seddique said. “And he saw two men kissing each other in front of his wife and kid and he got very angry. They were kissing each other and touching each other and he said, ‘Look at that. In front of my son they are doing that.’ And they we were in the men’s bathroom and men were kissing each other.”
- Per ex-wife, Mateen was violent and mentally unstable, beating her shortly before she left him.
- possible terror suspect arrested in West Hollywood in possession of assault rifles and explosives

Atomika on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The father is saying his son had been enraged since seeing two men kissing in Miami weeks before.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Holy shit.

Thoughts go out to the families of the victims.

This is definitely going to be a topic at Pride in a couple of weeks, the community here responds with empathy and solidarity to acts of violence.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    New info will be added to the OP

Atomika on
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    oh wtf he was on a watch list? Obama talked about this very scenario recently.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Mateem had a security officer license and statewide firearms license.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I read on BBC he wasn't on a watchlist so I'm not sure on that yet

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »

Per ABC:
    Mateen's parents were born in Afghanistan, and he was "on the radar" of U.S. officials for some time, but was not the target of a specific investigation, law enforcement officials told ABC News.

So maybe not the "Watch List," per se? It seems like he had a profile and had been flagged, though.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I don't even know what to say about this bullshit anymore.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »

new update shines some light on that

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    What a goddamned needless and senseless tragedy. I can't even fathom being enraged by any act between two people to feel the need to murder people who share some loose commonality among them.

• Options
    Crayon wrote: »
    What a goddamned needless and senseless tragedy. I can't even fathom being enraged by any act between two people to feel the need to murder people who share some loose commonality among them.

It's the inevitable endgame of buying into hateful ideology, regardless of justification

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Lets remember from the last mass shootings that photos and information dug up by media about the shooter might not even belong to the actual shooter because Media swarm on the story like fucking starving wolves on a rotten moose carcass. So for at least a day or two, take non-officially released info dug up by media with a grain of salt.

With that said, What a fucking tragedy, Go out for a fun night and now 50 families are devastated and 50 others miserable and in turmoil.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Yeah I am not okay with social media account plastering and shit like that after the Boston bombing straight up just got the wrong guy

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Yeah I am not okay with social media account plastering and shit like that after the Boston bombing straight up just got the wrong guy

Pretty sure they did the same thing after either sandyhook or aurora, too.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    As a Muslim American, this is fucking horrifying and my heart goes out to the victims. Bombing innocent people has no place regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identification.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Lets remember from the last mass shootings that photos and information dug up by media about the shooter might not even belong to the actual shooter because Media swarm on the story like fucking starving wolves on a rotten moose carcass. So for at least a day or two, take non-officially released info dug up by media with a grain of salt.

With that said, What a fucking tragedy, Go out for a fun night and now 50 families are devastated and 50 others miserable and in turmoil.

The family has already acknowledged their son was the shooter.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

And after those two, nothing changed.

I'm not optimistic about anything changing after this one either.

Well, except for yet more discrimination against brown people.

• Options

And after those two, nothing changed.

I'm not optimistic about anything changing after this one either.

Well, except for yet more discrimination against brown people.

and Pat Robertson saying that us LGBT had it coming for causing brownouts or droughts or some shit

• Options
    AR-15 was the weapon of choice

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Reading about this and watching the death toll shoot up is just making me feel physically sick. I can't believe all these people got murdered just for being gay.
    mRahmani wrote: »
    As a Muslim American, this is fucking horrifying and my heart goes out to the victims. Bombing innocent people has no place regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identification.

I feel bad for the fresh wave of hate you guys are about to get as well.

Fuck everything about this.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Turns out the guy had passed all firearm-related background checks and even had an up-to-date Florida Security Officer license.

The license numbers: https://licensing.freshfromflorida.com/access/individual.aspx search "Mateen Omar"

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Atomika wrote: »

Well of course it was.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Viskod wrote: »

Well of course it was.

It's not a hunting rifle. It was designed with no other purpose than killing many people quickly.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    The usual suspects in the media and Congress (essentially House Reps bought off by the NRA) are already trying to downplay the LGBTQ angle and gun control angle in favour of looking purely at the possibility of Islamic terrorism being involved, rather then just a Muslim man being homophobic, and trying to capitalize on it in Trump's anti-Muslim favour for the election as a 'game changer'.

I think that's what sickens me most, is watching the worst elements of our society, which in theory should be much better then this, nakedly taking partisan swipes and weeping crocodile tears at the expense of fifty dead trans and gay people.

488W936.png
  • Options
    quick word:

Refrain from gun control debates here, please

Not the place

we even have a whole thread for that already

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    edit: Removed per Atomika's wishes above.

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    It astounds me just how quicky death can be politicized and mass marketed so quickly for any cause, or to deny cause.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    To be neutral, it's like saying a man drove into a crowd driving a Camry.

You're gonna get a very bad reaction bringing this in here right now.

So please, just don't.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I can't even understand what kind of hate and mental unsuitability that causes someone to do this or like the Voice girl that got killed this weekend. It makes no sense...

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Did he wash out of the police academy? Lots of photos of him with NYPD gear on...

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I can't even understand what kind of hate and mental unsuitability that causes someone to do this or like the Voice girl that got killed this weekend. It makes no sense...

It makes perfect sense.

People are raised from birth to believe their entire existence is owed to a supreme being they cannot communicate with or understand and then they're told that the supreme being will punish them if they allow others to act against a set of arbitrary rules AND THEN they live in desperation or unhappiness and wonder why their supreme being has abandoned them AND THEN they see two men kissing.

Forget the gun control debate. Right now I'm sick up to my eyeballs with religious indoctrination.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

As a non-muslim, one of the many levels of how fucked this situation is going to be is that Muslims are absolutely going to get blamed for this. The Oompa Loompa running for office is gonna use this. I am sorry you're going to have to deal with that. Because as a gay person I know that the last thing I want is for an LGBT tragedy to be used to further more hatred.

Other initial thoughts after just learning about this a short while ago...

I keep hearing "The worst domestic shooting in history"... and I find I don't agree. Certainly the most prolific and of course it's reprehensible... but Sandy Hook still haunts me more. Maybe as I absorb this new information my opinion will change, but those were little kids.

On a related note, I don't have high hopes this will lead to any sort of significant legislation on assault weapons, for exactly the same reason as above. If they weren't willing to do something when a bunch of kids in school were killed... I don't see people suddenly having a change of heart over them killing LGBT folks. We've made progress in this country over the last decade but certainly not enough that we're more loved than children.

I feel like this is something a lot of people will need today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYVu3cPNuXQ

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    The father of the shooter:
    “We are apologizing for the whole incident. We weren’t aware of any action he is taking, we are in shock like the whole country. This had nothing to do with religion,” the gunman’s father, Mir Seddique, said. However, he also claimed his son got very angry when he saw two men kissing in downtown Miami recently.

“We were in Downtown Miami, Bayside, people were playing music,” Seddique said. “And he saw two men kissing each other in front of his wife and kid and he got very angry. They were kissing each other and touching each other and he said, ‘Look at that. In front of my son they are doing that.’ And they we were in the men’s bathroom and men were kissing each other.’”

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Did he wash out of the police academy? Lots of photos of him with NYPD gear on...

I'm not sure

he was a licensed security guard, that much has been confirmed

• Options
    Mr. Rogers, on point as always.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    That sure is a way to wake up.

Neco on
  • Options
    "This had nothing to do with religion" says the guy who raised him in the religion.

Then again, with his choice of targets... :(

what a disaster. :(

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    quick word:

Refrain from gun control debates here, please

Not the place

we even have a whole thread for that already

Sorry I hadn't seen that as I was posting, I've pretty much said all I have on the topic anyway.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    "This had nothing to do with religion" says the guy who raised him in the religion.

Man, we have no idea what his religious upbringing was like. I'm sure that much like with Christians around the world, there's a wide spectrum on 'whether or not gays are actually humans' teachings.

Please don't call out an entire religion based on this guy's actions.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular

Then again, with his choice of targets... :(

what a disaster. :(

Then again this line of thought only comes up with Muslims.

psn: PhasenWeeple