As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Orlando Mass-Shooting

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I hope that these shooting and the LA gun guy aren't related. Otherwise, ISIS would be declaring war on the LGBT community and that would be awful.

ISIS was already at war with LGBT people.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    ISIS declared war on pretty much everything decent and just, so yeah, them being against the LGBT movement is pretty much expected, isn't it? I mean you can get killed to listening to pop music ffs

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Any update on timing for Obama? I need to take a shower but want to see what he has to say.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I have the last page loaded up and nothing so far from the Youtube live feed.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    So... I hear this is the fifteenth time Obama is going before the nation to talk about a mass shooting?

That... You know, I wouldn't blame him if he just walked up to the podium and merely gave a long, world-weary sigh.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Obviously, 1:30 PM ET stands for "Extra Terrestrial" which could mean anything.

Thanks, Spielberg.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Feed is live, no Obama yet.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Obama has started.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Well this thread might not be about gun control but the President doesn't agree that it isn't at issue.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Obama looks and sounds so absolutely fed up of this shit, and I don't blame him in the slightest.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The man seems so worn down by all this. How many times does he have to give this speech?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, there's no emotion left in his voice.

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Wow, there's no emotion left in his voice.

Sounded like he was trying not to yell at people about how stupid it was for this to happen. I might not like him as a President, but I feel for him there. A lesser man (me) would have been visibly pissed and cussing up a storm.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Count down to Obamas comin fir yer guns...

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The man seems so worn down by all this. How many times does he have to give this speech?

Not that much longer. Soon, it'll be either Clinton or Trump delivering the speech.

But the Onion will continue to rewrite the same article until judgement day.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    did trump just tweet that he appreciated the congratulations on being right about how evil muslims are?

Also pledging ISIS doesnt mean you are ISIS.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The West Hollywood pride is going to go on as planned. There's apparently now a fuckton of police and FBI embedded in the festival now though.

I imagine a lot of Pride organizers just doubled down on security where possible. I know Toronto Pride always has a healthy Police presence (in a good way; handing out swag, posing for pics, on floats, etc) and I won't at all be surprised if that's stepped up significantly this year. I'm looking forward to the parade, as always, and expect that the best precautions I'll need will be to check the weather and make sure my friends and I have enough sunscreen and cold water on hand, but vigilance will remain important all the moreso in the face of the last few hours.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Trump's version of that speech is: "This is very sad. I am the best though and I will put the best men on the job of murdering the shooter's entire family. Thank you and God bless me, but I repeat myself."

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    did trump just tweet that he appreciated the congratulations on being right about how evil muslims are?

Yes, and that Obama should resign unless he immediately and publicly blames Islamic terrorism.

It's... astonishing.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Statistically? With 221 days left in his presidency?

More times than I'd like to think or talk about.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Yes, and that Obama should resign unless he immediately and publicly blames Islamic terrorism.

It's... astonishing.

trump does realise islamic terrorism isnt a monolith? Like islamic terrorists attack other islamic terrorists. These fucking grognards seriously believe that ISIS is like Chaos from get smart dont they

• Options

Trump said something offensive and stupid? Especially when it's a group he believes is evil killing another group he believes is evil?

eowbs840npbn.jpg

This is my shocked face.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »

Forar wrote: »

Evidence would suggest... like 200 more mass shootings of which what, 3 or 4 are serious enough he has to give the speech.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Obama seemed really pissed off in the speech, to me, but went about it in his usual restrained attitude. The part where he brought up how shootings can happen anywhere, including a school, or a church, or a movie theater, or a club, really struck me as him declaring very loudly "I am tired this shit keeps happening, that I keep having to get up here and give this speech, and that I can do nothing to prevent it from happening again."

Also when he said "this is the kind of world we've chosen (emphasis mine) to live in."

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Obama seemed really pissed off in the speech, to me, but went about it in his usual restrained attitude. The part where he brought up how shootings can happen anywhere, including a school, or a church, or a movie theater, or a club, really struck me as him declaring very loudly "I am tired this shit keeps happening, that I keep having to get up here and give this speech, and that I can do nothing to prevent it from happening again."

Also when he said "this is the kind of country we've chosen (emphasis mine) to live in."

I fixed that for him.

Shootings happen everywhere, but the sheer frequency of them is unique to the US by several orders of magnitude.

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    So this is a gun control thread, eh?

We're years to a couple decades away from powerful enough surveillance tech that we can make this not an issue if we want. That said, it's a path fraught with danger of other sorts.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    That does not necessarily mean there was much of a connection besides just pledging allegiance to ISIS as a lot of lone wolf ISIS inspired terrorists have little connection to ISIS beyond that.

Washington Post says they have an interview with his ex-wife

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/ex-wife-of-suspected-orlando-shooter-he-beat-me/2016/06/12/8a1963b4-30b8-11e6-8ff7-7b6c1998b7a0_story.html
    “He seemed like a normal human being,” she said, adding that he wasn’t very religious and worked out at the gym often. She said in the few months they were married he gave no signs of having fallen under the sway of radical Islam. She said he owned a small-caliber handgun and worked as a guard at a nearby facility for juvenile delinquents.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm seeing people on the news asking people locally to give blood

And there are reports Orlando has temporarily lifted the ban on sexually active gay men from giving. Which remains one of the stupidest fucking rules in our government.

According to the CDC "Men who have sex with men" (the overarching term for gay, bisexual, in between, etc) make up around 4% of the US population but around half of the people currently living with AIDS. The ban on gay men giving blood has nothing to do with homophobia, the FDA is simply excluding a high risk group from donating blood.

If the CDC told the FDA that 64% of all upcoming AIDS cases would come from people with blue eyes than they would not let people with blue eyes donate blood. It's all about the numbers. There is a small push right now to rescind the lifetime ban in lieu of one year from the last time a male donor had sex with another man (which is more than enough time for antibodies to show up), but if you're looking for speedy action from the FDA outside of emergency situations like this I wouldn't hold your breath.

I think that most people (myself included) who, should they be in a position where they required donated blood, wouldn't really care if it's gay/straight/bi/whatever, as long as it is clean. There are plenty of places in this country where homophobia dictates policy, but this is not one of them.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Unless they edit the video, the statement starts at 56:10 for those who missed it.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Pony was warned for this.
    I'm seeing people on the news asking people locally to give blood

And there are reports Orlando has temporarily lifted the ban on sexually active gay men from giving. Which remains one of the stupidest fucking rules in our government.

According to the CDC "Men who have sex with men" (the overarching term for gay, bisexual, in between, etc) make up around 4% of the US population but around half of the people currently living with AIDS. The ban on gay men giving blood has nothing to do with homophobia, the FDA is simply excluding a high risk group from donating blood.

If the CDC told the FDA that 64% of all upcoming AIDS cases would come from people with blue eyes than they would not let people with blue eyes donate blood. It's all about the numbers. There is a small push right now to rescind the lifetime ban in lieu of one year from the last time a male donor had sex with another man (which is more than enough time for antibodies to show up), but if you're looking for speedy action from the FDA outside of emergency situations like this I wouldn't hold your breath.

I think that most people (myself included) who, should they be in a position where they required donated blood, wouldn't really care if it's gay/straight/bi/whatever, as long as it is clean. There are plenty of places in this country where homophobia dictates policy, but this is not one of them.

bulllllllllllllllshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

excuse me

I'm going to get a drink, brb

ahhhh, okay, there we go

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Tube on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Man, going to be super shitty if the mass murder of a sexual minority helps get a republican elected.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    THINGS THIS THREAD IS NOT:

- A DISCUSSION ABOUT GUN CONTROL

well I was going to say something but I guess the NRA has won the day

so I guess this was just a generic unavoidable tragedy

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Man, going to be super shitty if the mass murder of a sexual minority helps get a republican elected.

I mean, it certainly helps which alone is enough to make you want to throw up. I hope it doesn't help enough is all.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    There is a very pervasive narrative, dating back at least as far as WWII but really crystallizing post-Vietnam, that nothing can withstand the US (militarily and certainly domestic/police issues, by extension) if it commits to a forthright and masculine display of violent force. The only thing that holds this back is the mealy-mouthed apologia of bureaucrats and other impotent conspirators, public or private, who are committed to enforcing weakness as national policy, either out of misguided (and perverse) ideals, hatred of the US itself, or pure venality. If this description sounds very Freud, that's because it basically is, for a variety of reasons.

That's where you get the strange mythology of "calling Islamic terrorism what it is", as though some kind of talismanic invocation of those specific words would change things on a global scale. It's just a framing of a very particular narrative, and people who buy into that narrative respond to it.

Same as I do, TBQH, when I hear about things like Flint or what have you. It's a lot easier to rub endlessly on a particular worldview than it is to attempt understanding the full scope of many current events, since the information we get about those events is often poor or itself heavily filtered, and the events themselves are often rooted in extremely complex historical circumstances that do not align with simple ways of viewing the world.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    THINGS THIS THREAD IS NOT:

- A DISCUSSION ABOUT GUN CONTROL

well I was going to say something but I guess the NRA has won the day

so I guess this was just a generic unavoidable tragedy

trying to make this thread not about gun control was mostly to make sure that this thread, this thread specifically, doesn't turn into a generic gun control thread

as opposed to the general Republican "aw shucks guys, now's not the time to talk about gun control"

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    It's more "can we just not do this in here?"

arguing I mean

Neco on
  • Options
    SavgeSavge Indecisive Registered User regular
    I don't give a fuck how pissed Obama gets. No matter what we do, evil will find a way.

We didn't choose to live in a world where evil exists, so nobody should be pointing a finger at anyone who is not the gunman.

The world we live in today is the sum of all the things that have made us more globalized. The world has become smaller, and with it, our proximity to acts of violence born from them temptations of notoriety or dogmatic delusions.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    bulllllllllllllllshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

excuse me

I'm going to get a drink, brb

ahhhh, okay, there we go

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

I would like to ask you to show where the original statement is wrong, preferably without edging us into gst territory.