As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] is locked down for another year!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    In theory, I like the idea of an adventure game that has unwinnable states, like a virtual adaptation of a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book. But in practice that leads to a lot of time spent retreading the same content over and over and that just isn't fun. For me, at least. I'm sure there are people who don't mind, in which case, I can understand liking those fail states.

see that's why you need a rewind feature to emulate the choose your own adventure book technique of "flipping pages"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    the QFG games seemed so cool, but for the life of me I had no idea how to make that combat work

also doesn't helped that I started with QFG3:

bTfEsl2.jpg

like I think I could get past the first random encounter fight with some dumb luck

and then you'd run into a second or third random encounter and that would be a bit harder and I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing

Yo why does this catman have a huge purple dick

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    So I just got the new Ratchet & Clank, and beyond the fact that it's really good

Year of the Hook was even earlier than I thought, cause I'm grappling onto shit within an hour of the start

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    the QFG games seemed so cool, but for the life of me I had no idea how to make that combat work

also doesn't helped that I started with QFG3:

bTfEsl2.jpg

like I think I could get past the first random encounter fight with some dumb luck

and then you'd run into a second or third random encounter and that would be a bit harder and I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing

Yo why does this catman have a huge purple dick

That catman is wearing a loin cloth because they have an actual society with culture and stuff.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    you can't conclusively prove that isn't a strap on dildo

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    you can't conclusively prove that isn't a strap on dildo

that would still imply an advanced culture.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Prime Directive states we are not allowed to interact with civilizations that have yet to discover dildo technology

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Screw the Prime Directive!

Literally!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Literally!
    Ah you subscribe to the Riker School of space exploration then

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Literally!
    Ah you subscribe to the Riker Kirk School of space exploration then

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Ah you subscribe to the Riker Kirk Dildo School of space exploration then

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ah you subscribe to the Riker Kirk Dildo School of space exploration then

But I already said Kirk.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I have been enjoying the new King's Quest game. Each episode is short and since I wait and grab them when they go on sale I don't feel ripped off.

The old Sierra games were terrible in design quite frequently. "What, you mean that pie that I got at the VERY beginning of the game that seemed inconsequential is really the most important item to get past a bear that doesn't appear until near the very end!"

If you used the pie any time between that, the game was impossible to finish.

you also get a prompt at one point where your character is hungry and you need to decide on whether to eat

the pie
    part of chicken leg
    the entire chicken leg

if you eat the pie you're fucked, you'll need it later to fight a yeti
    if you eat the entire chicken leg you're fucked, you'll need part of a chicken leg later to escape from some harpies

when you're in the bird's nest ( a timed sequence which you can't repeat or return to) make sure to grab the gold pixel beside you, before you are rescued from the harpy nest
    it is a golden locket that must be used to make a character trust you in the final act of the game, if you do not have it you will be trapped in an endless maze

That was all specifically King's Quest 5. I think the only other of the Quest games that had a non winnable state was Space Quest 2 if you didn't send away for the whistle.

SQ1 was unwinnable if you saved after being grabbed by the facehugger near the start of the game (it wouldn't kill you until several screens later)
    KQ2 was unwinnable if you crossed the bridge leading to the magic door one too many times (you were only allowed to cross the bridge exactly as many times as was needed to beat the game; crossing it once more would make it collapse)
    KQ3 had a number of unwinnable states, most of which resulted from failing to act quickly enough to beat the wizard who's holding you hostage at the start of the game or from not crafting the spells you needed to beat the game before you progressed to the point that you couldn't go back to the magic workshop
    KQ4 was unwinnable if you escaped from being swallowed by the whale without grabbing the item in the whale's mouth, or if you didn't act quickly enough to solve puzzles that could only be solved during daytime/nighttime before the in-game clock progressed past sunset/sunrise
    QFG1 was unwinnable if you saved after entering the brigand fortress and didn't have the dispel potion on you, or if you angered any of the NPCs who help you make the dispel potion
    QFG4 was unwinnable if you didn't talk to the domovoi before the end of night 5

most if not all of Sierra's adventure games prior to KQ6 and SQ5 would put you in unwinnable game states without either a) warning you in advance that you were currently incapable of solving the upcoming puzzles or b) immediately informing you that the game was now unwinnable

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    All I really know of King's quest was that game that came to the Sega Genesis that is very much not King's quest

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I've never worn glasses so I have no clue

Dude in front of me had glasses and seemed to be fine?

I didn't take notice of their size

There were people in the Gamestop where I tried the PSVR that had glasses, and they all said they had no problems.

Having tried both the Oculus and the PSVR, the latter is definitely lighter and more comfortable. The only quibble for me was that it covered my nose a bit, making it rather itchy. Like with the top straps, there's probably ways I can adjust it so it's more comfortable.

I tried the demo with the shark. Didn't make me tear the headset off screaming, but my tension did rise a bit with having a big creature like that in your face. Plus I just plain love being able to turn my head in any direction and see something different.

I'm all in on PSVR. Can't wait for October.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    In theory, I like the idea of an adventure game that has unwinnable states, like a virtual adaptation of a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book. But in practice that leads to a lot of time spent retreading the same content over and over and that just isn't fun. For me, at least. I'm sure there are people who don't mind, in which case, I can understand liking those fail states.

see that's why you need a rewind feature to emulate the choose your own adventure book technique of "flipping pages"

An unwinnable state that gives you a different experience than the correct path and once it kills you lets you go right back to the place you fucked up would be fine, IMO. An unwinnable state that is the exact same game as you get doing it right except you get a "fuck you" at the end is supremely dumb.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »

An unwinnable state that gives you a different experience than the correct path and once it kills you lets you go right back to the place you fucked up would be fine, IMO. An unwinnable state that is the exact same game as you get doing it right except you get a "fuck you" at the end is supremely dumb.

The thing about the "branching paths" design of CYOA stories, though, is that it's not just a single branch. You can take multiple paths that don't lead directly to a fail state. It's not a binary pass/fail, sometimes you'll take a branch that will lead you to a bunch of different "bad end" options further down the line and you have to back up really far to get back to a better option. And in a book it's not a huge deal because you can just bookmark each branch and skip around as needed, skimming to refresh yourself on any details you may not remember. But in a game it's a bit harder to do that because you can't just "skim" gameplay.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    you can totally skim gameplay, if the game is designed to do so

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Radiant Historia did a bang-up job of it, that's for sure.

• Options
    I think radiant historia was bad about it because it was always just right choice and wrong choice and the wrong choice was an immediate short bad ending cutscene then rewind to the good choice

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Or you go the Virtue's Last Reward route where almost all of the branching paths were necessary in order to get the "true" ending (and also to fully understand what the hell was going on).

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, doesn't Zero Time Dilemma come out tomorrow? Gotta pick that up quickly before I accidentally click on some spoilers.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it does

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I wish the real version of 999 would get ported to something that's not the DS.

• Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    Uchikoshi had some tweets a couple weeks ago that seemed to hint that 999 will be getting Vita & Steam releases:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/741287790130909185

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I was going through the patch notes for the next Division update and I want to share this gem with you all
    -Fixed a bug where the Moon was upside down.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    where the heck was that bioshock trilogy remaster I keep hearing rumours about?

God damnit as a console player I want it so bad

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I was going through the patch notes for the next Division update and I want to share this gem with you all
    -Fixed a bug where the Moon was upside down.

Guys maybe fix the bug where enemies turn basically invisble at night if youre under a light source

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    When I was little we had a Commadore64 and I loved that thing to death. And my dad would play all these old games with us, and we'd try to help him. I remember Karateka, Carmen Sandiago, Superman, Little Computer People, Burger Time...

but the absolute best - the BEST - was Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

I fucking love that game and I'm so sad it never gets included in the discussion with all these remasters like Grim Fandango and Day of the Tenticle.

I'd pay $60 full price for just a re-release of it as is. I loved that game.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I always liked Maniac Mansion better than Zak McKracken

• Options
    I don't consider having to play through a sequence I've already done "skimming". If I can't arbitrarily skip content at will, it's not good enough.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I don't consider having to play through a sequence I've already done "skimming". If I can't arbitrarily skip content at will, it's not good enough.

have you played Life is Strange

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

have you played Life is Strange

Played, no. But yeah that game's probably about as close as we've come to my platonic ideal of how a CYOA type game should work. Just lacking the proper branching paths. I hope more people chase that game design.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

You should check out the 2008 version of Alone in the Dark, it let you fast-forward through sequences you didn't want to play.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    that game was baaaad

it had some really cool ideas but woof

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It did have some really cool ideas. I keep meaning to track down a PS3 copy, as apparently they improved the controls on it.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You know what had some REALLY good ideas?

Alone in the Dark.

You had to push a cabinet in front of a window to stop a horrible triangle monster from jumping in.

And then you had to push a chest on top of a trap door to stop a horrible spindly mummy ghost zombie thing from emerging.

It was pretty cool.

And then the demo ended and I don't know what else happened.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

fuck those triangles

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    THERE'S A RIFLE IN THE CHEST YOU GOTTA SHOT THAT GODDAMN THING

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I played that demo a bunch of times and still to this day have never actually played a full Alone in the Dark game