As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3] is locked down for another year!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    In LucasArts adventure games, poking around the environment and using items on things and people resulted in jokes

In a Sierra adventure game, poking around the environment resulted in death, and using items on things and people resulted in game states where it was impossible to finish the game

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Sierra adventure games are like if you were playing a puzzle game like The Witness and when you put in a wrong answer you got a game over.

Sure, you can get around that by just saving before you put in an answer

But on the other hand, fuck off

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Um, in Sierra games you hunted werewolves and there was a sad gay German werewolf man and King Ludwig and a lost Wagnerian opera, so

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also in a Sierra game you could make a character and finish a game then IMPORT that exact character into the next game and the next and the next. It was really mind blowing and felt very powerful to finish that series you had started with the same character many years before.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    In LucasArts adventure games, poking around the environment and using items on things and people resulted in jokes

In a Sierra adventure game, poking around the environment resulted in death, and using items on things and people resulted in game states where it was impossible to finish the game

I actually thought this was pretty hilarious in the time I spent with one

I wandered off into the sea and was carried off by the current and drowned! That was a neat little interactive thing

I definitely prefer it to the "humor" of LucasArts games, at least

Though yeah, getting failed states for things you didn't do immediately before is pretty bad

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    are the shivers games considered adventure games

because shivers ii: harvest of souls is the best pc game of all time so

sierra rules

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    what if you made a modern sierra adventure game with the bullshit deaths and failstates but also a time travel mechanic so you could travel back five hours to fix the thing and then travel forward

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    what if you made a modern sierra adventure game with the bullshit deaths and failstates but also a time travel mechanic so you could travel back five hours to fix the thing and then travel forward

That sounds pretty darn cool, to be honest

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    They are both bad

UV I'm sure you're used to this by now but

your opinion means so little to me.
    Jesus, dude

Like it is one thing to think Vow's opinions are super weird

But this is just rude and mean as all heck

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Watch out Graham! A poiiiisonous snake!

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Is this a good time to talk about how much I loved Tex Murphy, because goddamn I loved Tex Murphy

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    While I never really got into Sierra's catalog beyond King's Quest, I have said before and will probably say again that I'm a big fan of those games. I just find them very charming overall and there's something about the larger narrative structure that I'm really into, where you watch this family grow and you jump around to different members of said family throughout the series. It was also one of the first games to have a female protagonist (maybe the actual first PC game?), which is pretty cool.

But yeah, the early games in that series had some incredibly bullshit design. Ridiculously obscure puzzles, unwinnable situations that you couldn't see coming, etc. Not to mention a lot of terrible puns. So many terrible puns. But the early ones were the worst, and the overall design (not to mention storytelling and characterization) improved significantly as the series went on.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I was never really into adventure games when I was younger, but I do remember playing through Spycraft and oh man, 12 year old me felt so important and spyful playing that game.

• Options
    Like seriously Under A Killing Moon and Overseer inspired my interest in weird sci-fi and pulp and eventually got me interested in film noir and it all sounds really silly now and I definitely played it at way too young an age, but oh my goodness

Steam
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    They came out with a new Tex Murphy a couple years ago

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »
    Is this a good time to talk about how much I loved Tex Murphy, because goddamn I loved Tex Murphy

I can't think of a bad time to talk about Tex Murphy

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Anyone got any good reaction videos worth sharing from this year?

My favorite one so far is probably the Super Best Friends marking out at Death Stranding. Their E3 videos are archived on their Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/superbestfriendsplay/profile

• Options
    reaction videos worth sharing seems like a pretty fucking dire oxymoron

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I gotta give respect to King's Quest because there aren't many heroes named Graham

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    are the shivers games considered adventure games

because shivers ii: harvest of souls is the best pc game of all time so

sierra rules

The first shivers was better.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I've only played the demo of Shivers that came with an issue of PC Gamer, but I remember it being pretty rad.

But, the synopsis of Shivers II sounds way cooler than Shivers I.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Played some video games tonight for the first time in a few weeks

Doom and Overwatch are still real good

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Watch out Graham! A poiiiisonous snake!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbY_MyKuVY

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    They came out with a new Tex Murphy a couple years ago

I played it and it was great and dumb and goofy and I loved it to pieces

Steam
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I somewhat enjoyed a King's Quest when I was younger

I'm not sure what number it was, but the subtitle was Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow

I never got too far in it though, felt like I probably needed a guide or something

Day 9 and his pals did a playthrough of that one. "I took a mint" remains a running joke in his stream. That was also the sixth one in the franchise and they actually learned from previous mistakes and made it pretty decently, with very few (not sure it had any?) "you didn't do this 12 hours ago, you lose" instances.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

I feel it's funny to say this in a thread filled with people who watched Giant Bomb react to E3

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I somewhat enjoyed a King's Quest when I was younger

I'm not sure what number it was, but the subtitle was Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow

I never got too far in it though, felt like I probably needed a guide or something

Day 9 and his pals did a playthrough of that one. "I took a mint" remains a running joke in his stream. That was also the sixth one in the franchise and they actually learned from previous mistakes and made it pretty decently, with very few (not sure it had any?) "you didn't do this 12 hours ago, you lose" instances.

Yeah, that was the first game in the series that wouldn't let you go past a point of no return without warning you that you hadn't picked up whatever item you needed to progress (though, IIRC, it only give you one warning, and if you insisted on pressing on then it'd let you go directly into a puzzle that you couldn't solve before it killed you). It's really the only game in the series that holds up at all without looking at it through the veil of nostalgia; the earlier games are much more arbitrary both in their puzzles and in how often they kill the player for no discernible reason.

Sierra's games up to that point were pretty much all arbitrary like that, with a few exceptions (like the Quest for Glory series); the handful of traditional adventure games that they made after that, like Gabriel Knight and the last two Space Quests, were less obtuse and less unpredictably punitive. Then Myst came out and within like a year just about everyone who'd been making adventure games up to that point, Sierra included, was instead either making nakedly derivative Myst-likes or else trying and failing to translate adventure games into ugly PS1-era polygonal engines with awkward nigh-unusable control schemes.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I should mention that though I shit on Sierra earlier and still think most of their output is awful, I do think they're the kind of awful that you have to kind of grow through as a genre to figure out what you can and can't do. So in that regard, I'm glad they did what they did, so no one can do it again.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    https://youtu.be/TxilVOUpBPg

Just when I thought I couldn't like Xavier Woods any more than I do, he brings out a Buster Sword, hypes up VR and proclaims Yu Yu Hakusho as his favorite anime

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    It's a devil may cry style action game where your main weapon is a baby that you swing around using the umbilical cord that is still attached to you. Besides on the flash forward missions where the baby is black goop that you direct using nanomachines while listening to man-eater.

Finally the Hideo Kojima and HR Giger team up I always wanted.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I have been enjoying the new King's Quest game. Each episode is short and since I wait and grab them when they go on sale I don't feel ripped off.

The old Sierra games were terrible in design quite frequently. "What, you mean that pie that I got at the VERY beginning of the game that seemed inconsequential is really the most important item to get past a bear that doesn't appear until near the very end!"

If you used the pie any time between that, the game was impossible to finish.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    In darksouls they choreograph attacks and there's reload points? Easy mode, call me when the most important decision in the game comes down to what you gave a dog in the first few minutes.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I have been enjoying the new King's Quest game. Each episode is short and since I wait and grab them when they go on sale I don't feel ripped off.

The old Sierra games were terrible in design quite frequently. "What, you mean that pie that I got at the VERY beginning of the game that seemed inconsequential is really the most important item to get past a bear that doesn't appear until near the very end!"

you also get a prompt at one point where your character is hungry and you need to decide on whether to eat

the pie
    part of chicken leg
    the entire chicken leg

if you eat the pie you're fucked, you'll need it later to fight a yeti
    if you eat the entire chicken leg you're fucked, you'll need part of a chicken leg later to escape from some harpies

when you're in the bird's nest ( a timed sequence which you can't repeat or return to) make sure to grab the gold pixel beside you, before you are rescued from the harpy nest
    it is a golden locket that must be used to make a character trust you in the final act of the game, if you do not have it you will be trapped in an endless maze

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Fuck your hype

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

you also get a prompt at one point where your character is hungry and you need to decide on whether to eat

the pie
    part of chicken leg
    the entire chicken leg

if you eat the entire chicken leg you're fucked, you'll need part of a chicken leg later to escape from some harpies

when you're in the bird's nest ( a timed sequence which you can't repeat or return to) make sure to grab the gold pixel beside you, before you are rescued from the harpy nest
    it is a golden locket that must be used to make a character trust you in the final act of the game, if you do not have it you will be trapped in an endless maze

That was all specifically King's Quest 5. I think the only other of the Quest games that had a non winnable state was Space Quest 2 if you didn't send away for the whistle.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

the pie
    part of chicken leg
    the entire chicken leg

That was all specifically King's Quest 5. I think the only other of the Quest games that had a non winnable state was Space Quest 2 if you didn't send away for the whistle.

Yeah KQV is my high water mark for just incomprehensible game design and bad dead ends.

I baaaaaaaarely remember Police Quest having some of the same issues, where you could forget to do some completely innocuous things like inspect your car, and then chapters later you'd die from your tire exploding.

• Options
    Like I can see people being angry at these things now, but back then it was a known thing. You knew these games had stuff like that and you just saved a lot.

You would die immediatly in Police Quest if you didn't inspect your car. The tire would fall off the moment you left I think. If you did not inspect the weapon in the trunk I think you died later because the weapon was not prepared when you went on duty.

Again, at the time when that happened you'd be like, oh shit I better do that! then restore a save and do it.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    One of my favorite games from that time period was Willy Beamish.

It was so very fun.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Like I can see people being angry at these things now, but back then it was a known thing. You knew these games had stuff like that and you just saved a lot.

You would die immediatly in Police Quest if you didn't inspect your car. The tire would fall off the moment you left I think. If you did not inspect the weapon in the trunk I think you died later because the weapon was not prepared when you went on duty.

Again, at the time when that happened you'd be like, oh shit I better do that! then restore a save and do it.

the problem was that you only had so many save slots in those games

like KQV is maybe 15?

and the game would give you no indication that you had actually reached an unwinnable state, you'd just get far enough into it and think that you were missing some local object needed to solve the quest

but no you missed that shit like 8 hours ago and you've already saved over your earlier games