Options

[pbp] Ruins of Undermountain (D&D 5e) - ADVENTURE OVER!!! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    minion, roll 1d20+2 for bloody short people!

stats
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 23/27, Spells:-/3
    Hobgoblin 1 - AC:18, HP:1/11, Martial Advantage
    Hobgoblin 2 - AC:18, HP:3/11, Martial Advantage
    Salazar - AC: 15, HP: 17/30, Spells: -/3/2
    Philo - AC:19, HP:26/38, 4 Sup. Dice
    Dural - AC:18, HP:23/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, INSPIRATION, Next to Philo
    Ay - AC:16, HP:23/31, Ki:2/4, HD:4/4
    Goblin 1 - DEAD
    Goblin 2 - DEAD
    Goblin 3 - DEAD
    Goblin 4 - DEAD

bloody short people!:
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Sorry, lost track of who is up. Is it still the hobs' turn?

• Options
    // yeah waiting on steelhawk to do something with the hobs

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Shit! It is! My bad....Out and about with the the family today so let's make this quick and dirty...

Both Hobgoblins advance, swords raised, and gang up on Philo...

Geth, roll 1d20+3 to hit Philo
    Geth, roll 1d8+8 damage with martial advantage
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 to hit Philo2
    Geth, roll 1d20+8 damage

to hit Philo:
    1d20+3 14 [1d20=11]
    damage with martial advantage:
    1d8+8 10 [1d8=2]
    to hit Philo2:
    1d20+3 15 [1d20=12]
    damage:
    1d20+8 13 [1d20=5]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Salazar casts sleep on the hobgoblins!

"Quickly, tie them up!", Salazar barks!

@Mongrel Idiot

minion, roll 5d8 for hopefully knocking an ally out too!

stats:
    Barran - AC:16, HP: 23/27, Spells:-/3
    Hobgoblin 1 - AC:18, HP:1/11, Martial Advantage, ASLEEP!
    Hobgoblin 2 - AC:18, HP:3/11, Martial Advantage, DREAMING OF DWARVEN COLD CUTS!
    Salazar - AC: 15, HP: 17/30, Spells: -/2/2
    Philo - AC:19, HP:26/38, 4 Sup. Dice
    Dural - AC:18, HP:23/40, Spells:-/3, LoH:20/20, INSPIRATION, Next to Philo
    Ay - AC:16, HP:23/31, Ki:2/4, HD:4/4
    Goblin 1 - DEAD
    Goblin 2 - DEAD
    Goblin 3 - DEAD
    Goblin 4 - DEAD

hopefully knocking an ally out too!:
    5d8 19 [5d8=8, 3, 3, 1, 4]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    The hobgoblins' flurry of blows batters at Philo's shield, but he holds his ground. He feels suddenly drowsy and his vision swims, but he blinks it away and takes a swing at the nearest hobgoblin--only to find both it and its ally asleep on the floor! Sheathing his sword, he quickly binds one of the snoozing goblinoids.

Can't remember if 5e uses a check for knot-tying, but here's a Dex roll if need be. @Aegis is up!
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Dex to check to use rope

Dex to check to use rope:
    1d20+1 10 [1d20=9]

• Options
    Despite that less than stellar roll, I'm inclined to let you guys have your way here. :)

Consider combat to be over. Both Hobgoblins are tied up and awake. What would like to do with them?

• Options
    Salazar, a little wound up after being zapped twice, slowly and jerkily moves up towards the others and the now two bound hobgoblins.

"So!.."
    he glances around at his comrades.
    "..who wants first crack at them? Oh and by the way, does anyone have some chains with them?"
    Salazar will look around the room, maybe there's some lying around?

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Barran fastidiously wipes the goblin blood from his blade and puts it back in its sheath.
    "I've had my fill of interrogation after those imps. If you think we can get anything useful out of these two, I'll be over here."

Barran attempts to study the rune, hoping to notice the link between the spot on the wall and the statues' spells as well as to identify potentially similar traps in the future.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Arcana!

Arcana!:
    1d20+2 13 [1d20=11]

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    "Eh?!" exclaims the dwarf, who was in the process of refocusing his hammer strikes to actually hit something this time around. "The bloody 'ell are we capturing em for?"

He then points with his hammer towards Barran when he pipes up, looking back and forth between the two hobgoblins, confused.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    "Look, short stuff ..."
    Salazar addresses Dural, trying his best not to laugh. The once glorious beard, now a singed, frizzy mess.
    "... all of the murderous chaps we've so far encountered are all at the beck and call of some Lady Zarr.
    Now, that person either has the gold or the power to get things done, and I, for one, would prefer to know what we're going to be going up against.
    "

Salazar leans in. And down. (heh) to whisper in the dwarf's ear:
    "You know what though? Keep that dwarven fury going, I'm sure the prospect of being beaten to death whilst being burnt alive will get at least one of them to talk .."

evilthecat on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    The dwarf scratches his head. "Wouldn't we arrive in th'same spot if we follow the bodies of goblins we're leaving until eventually one of em calls itself Lady Zarr?""

Characters
  • Options
    A moment of sheer panic washes over Salazar.
    "Did he really just say that?!"

"Err... even if that worked ... we'd end up facing this Lady Zarr on her terms.
    And I have this strong feeling in my gut that tells me this Lady Zarr is one of those dark elves.
    What do dwarven tactics suggest when engaging drow?
    "

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Hey folks! Hope your Christmas was Merry, that your Chanukah is filled with oily foods and that your Kwanza is awesome! I'm ready to get back to game if you are...

You push the trussed up Hobgoblins back into the room proper...
    This huge chamber's vaulted ceiling is 40 feet high. Leather, cloth, and animal-pelt curtain panels hang in a V shape, dividing the room into three sections. The middle section is open to you, and you can catch a glimpse into the room's northeastern portion through a gap between curtain panels. The southeastern section of the room is shrouded from your view.

Peeking through that northern curtain its quite obvious that this chamber is used as a staging area for this group of goblinoids to stage patrols and missions into the dungeon. You see some bedrolls and assorted sleeping spaces, but many more sitting spaces and fire pits for the assorted "army" of this Lady Zarr to assemble and take briefings. Groups of names are written in charcoal on one section of wall, some crossed out and other circled. A roster? Thankfully, most of the army is not present.

The rune on the wall seems to be a jury rigged and ugly method of triggering the trap in the Hall of Statues. The more magically inclined amongst you discern that the original trigger mechanism was destroyed and this garish example of goblin shamanism was used instead. Still effective though.

Sets of double doors lead out of the chamber to the east, and another beyond the southern curtain lead out of the room to the south.

What's your play? You have multiple exits from the room and two trussed up Hobgoblins to deal with.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    You say "most of the army" isn't there... Now I'm worried!

Barran takes a look back at the trussed-up captives to make sure they're not going anywhere. He then begins to prowl the perimeter of the area they're all in, peeping behind the curtains to see if there are any further surprises.

Geth, roll 1d20+6 for stealth!

I'm not expressly searching for hidden doors or anything, just making sure that there aren't any more gobloids in the room that might not have noticed the battle outside. But if there's a big pile of treasure out in the open, please do call it to attention. :D

stealth!:
    1d20+6 9 [1d20=3]

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Barran manages to bumble around the large room without causing too much noise. Tacked into a stolen apple crate, used as a table, is a crudely drawn map showing the local dungeon. Probably drawn by some new recruits to learn how to get around their new home.

Lady%20Zarrs%20Territory_zpsiiz8mkps.jpg

You guys are now in room 4, BTW

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Extricating himself from the hobgoblins until called for, Dural will slowly move about the room, poking at bedrolls and firepits, upturning a goblin corpse here and there to make sure the dead ones are still dead. Eventually, he makes himself towards the wall with scratches on it, spending a brief moment to see if he can't pick out any names, squinting in the firelight.

Eventually, regardless of any useful info, he makes his way back over to the captive hobgoblins to stand over them, gloweringly.

Assuming anything on there is written in Dwarven, Common, or Elvish.

Edit: minion, roll 1d20+1 for Perception
    Editx2: Or don't, fine

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Sorry for disappearing! My Christmas went a little nuts there, for a bit. Catching up on the thread!

• Options
    Salazar will attempt to see if they understand common ...

• Options
    edited December 2016
    They have a rudimentary understanding of it, sure...

I feel like we've had these hobgoblins tied up for like a IRL month now...Somebody better start asking questions soon or the "Is the DM going to be a dick today" dice are coming out. :)

Edit: OK, its only been ~10 days...but still...someone ask some questions, damnit! :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Barran untacks the map and brings it over to the others. "Finally, something a little better than wandering about blindly."

He points to the long hall and the room marked as 4. "There's the hall with the lightning traps, so we must be in this room here. Meaning there's something pretty impressive directly south of us. We also passed a room labeled 'Alba' for some reason... Maybe we can ask these fellows what we might expect there."

GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Heh...that's A16a actually, and you can ignore that note. That's a leftover on the map from my source image. :)

I mean, I can make something up for that room if you'd prefer....but that notation was for another game.

• Options
    As the others begin to search the room, Philo rounds on the pair of hobgoblins. "Right," he says, adopting his most menacing glare. "None of us are happy to have you here, but the sooner you talk the less miserable my friend here," he jerks his thumb at Sal "will make it for you. Start now. Who's Zarr? What's she doing down here? And don't spare the details."

Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Persuasion.

Persuasion:
    1d20+4 13 [1d20=9]

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Who can say why hobgoblins would be doodling on a second- or third-hand map? :)

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Salazar moves up to Philo, squats in front of the hobgoblins, shakes his trophy stick in their faces and conjures a roaring bonfire uncomfortably close to them.

minion, roll 1d20+6 for emphasising philo's point!

edit:
    GODDAMMIT. Bird's of a feather, eh?

emphasising philo's point!:
    1d20+6 13 [1d20=7]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    As the hobgoblins begin to be interrogated, the dwarf looks around the room briefly. Spotting what he was searching for, he methodically drags over one of the goblin corpses within spitting distance of the captives, flipping the creature over onto its stomach and then plopping down on its back, using it as an impromptu chair. "T'would also be good to know how many of ye rats are all still about the halls," he offers mid-stream, "An' if'n y'have more of those blasted magic trap doodad things."

<CRUNCH>

"Apologies. It slipped," Dural offers, his hand very clearly holding onto the haft of the hammer that just crushed the skull of the goblin-stool he's sitting on.

If I don't still have Inspiration, just take the first roll, otherwise I'll spend it here as it seems appropriate.

minion, roll 2d20k1+2 for Intimidation (Inspiration)

Intimidation (Inspiration):
    2d20k1+2 15 [2d20k1=[13], 9]

Characters
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    The two Hobgoblins look at each other for a moment before turning back to you all, "Lady Zarr is Drow elf. Mean lady with whip. Come to Undermountain, collect slaves, gather treasure."

"Zarr take control of tribes by force. Order us to work for her. Lots of whipping. Lots of killing. Lots of treasure too. Zarr keep most of it. Bitch. Tribes get rich too."

Edit: Forgot to address Aegis's questions "Hobgoblin's many....Goblins many.....Bugbears...even some stupid Kobolds. Zarr's army growing all the time.. More traps at other entry to complex."

The two exchange another glance..."Temple to Spider Queen. We can take you. Follow us..." One of them jerks his head to the south and scrabbles to his feet, followed by the other one.

Do you follow them, or question them further?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    "Right. Follow ye right into th'other traps ye mention, I'm sure." Dural, for the most part, simply stares the hobgoblins with a clearly disapproving and suspicious gaze.

Characters
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Salazar shifts the bonfire in front of the two hobgoblins.

"Hold on there, we're aren't done yet. You clearly don't seem to be happy with this Lady Zarr. Tell me, how would one go about getting rid of her? I'm sure you've given it some thought.."
    Salazar stares at both of the hobgoblins, trying to detect the faintest hint of dishonesty.

minion, roll 1d20+1 in case Steelhawk wants an insight check

in case Steelhawk wants an insight check:
    1d20+1 16 [1d20=15]

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Excellent. I didn't want to ask for an insight check because that tends to give things away....these Hobs are totally lying about leading you to Zarr and were likely going to lead you into trouble.

Also, they are not happy about their tribe being taken over by Zarr and forced to do her bidding. But they are more successful that they were before, even if Zarr takes most of the loot.

EDIT: Oh, and someone give me another persuasion check if you want more....a 13 is not quite enough to get the Hobs to roll over on their boss

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    // to keep things moving, I'm going to assume people will cooperate up to a certain point. Winky face.

"You know, I don't think you're being honest. And you obviously neither appreciate my stick or my abyssal heritage. I'm going to have to do something about that. Dural, Philo, help me hog tie them, please."

With the hobgoblins' arms and legs tied up behind their backs, Salazar has them placed on their bellies next to one another.
    Salazar then shoves a pair of unwashed rags into their mouthes.

"This is how this is going to work. You give us useful information, and you'll be moved back a foot or two. Don't.. well."

Salazar then casts a roaring bonfire a mere yard in front of them and let's the moment sink in.

"If your vision starts going milky don't worry, that isn't you dying, it's just your eyes that are about to pop."
    Salazar opens up his backpack and places his two healing potions in view.
    "There will be no honor or dignity in this."
    He shakes his stick at them.

minion, roll 1d20+6 for hostile negotiations

hostile negotiations:
    1d20+6 16 [1d20=10]

• Options
    Having assisted in hogtying the hobgoblins, the dwarf returns to his goblin stool to watch the proceedings and continue to cast suspicious glares towards the goblinoids. His expression is briefly worried as Salazar continues in his attempts to 'persuade' these particular captives, but that quickly passes when the result is just a shaking of a stick.

<CRUNCH>

"I really need to fix this shaft. Just keeps," <CRUNCH> <SMACK> <THUD> "...slipping."

Assisting in the intimidation attempt. I believe this means Salazar has advantage due to the working together rules, but those rules are weird. The hell happened to Aid Another?

Characters
  • Options
    // there's the "help" action. also salazar is cooking them alive. kinda. *cough*

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Help seems to be combat only, at least with the wording. Although, the "working together" part of skill checks seems to be functionally identical in its benefits, so I dunno why they didn't just make Help generalized.

Also goblins aren't people, so you're good. At least, that's how I'm justifying it. I'm totally a Paladin.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Helping outside of combat....I'm inclined to let it happen IF both characters are proficient in the skill being used. Granting Advantage in this type of case would roughly seem to be the same as each character making a separate attempt anyway...

So....aside from torturing the Hobgoblins to death...what are you trying to accomplish?

• Options
    edited January 2017
    // well pretty much what I wrote up there! I don't think they're being truthful, and even if they are, telling us "spider temple!" isn't a strategically useful piece of information. Hence me asking them: if you had to get rid of Zarr, how would you do it. What's her source of power, where is she weakest at.

// regarding help: although you can find it under the combat section, page 175 of the PHB has the "working together" bit which basically says you can use help outside of combat. Or you could opt for a group check. Depends on whether or not you consider Dural proficient in intimidation!

evilthecat on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    The hobgoblins howl in fear and pain as you torturously push them closer and closer to your fire. The sounds are muffled though as Salazar has placed soiled rags in their mouths. Their fur begins to singe and burn as they writhe and strain against their bonds, hoping to break free...

Geth, roll 2#1d20+1 to get loose

They are lowly hobgoblin slaves of a dark elf priestess...aside from mustering up the courage to stick a sword in her back, they really don't have much more to tell you than that. Perhaps the location of her quarters or war room...but, they can't speak with the rags in their mouths.

to get loose:
    2#1d20+1 2 # 10 [1d20=9] 17 [1d20=16]

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    ...One of them does! The rope binding one of the Hob's snaps as he scrabbles around, flailing his limbs and freeing himself from the bonds! Half crawling and half climbing to his feet, the hobgoblin makes it a few feet away before pulling the rag from his mouth and opening his mouth to scream...

• Options
    // Eh, I figured they'd muffle-talk and look at me if they wanted to say something. welp, that didn't go the way I planned. Didn't want to kill either of them, was supposed to be a bluff :( Can i have advantage on my attack rolls? I only ask because I'm a miserly bastard when it comes to spell slots :P I figure as the rope snaps and he's getting up I'd have a nice easy shot.

• Options
    I didn't expect either of them to roll a 17 to get free! Sure, you can have advantage on your roll....he's stumbling and flailing trying to get away.