Options

[PSN] Dynasty Warriors: Godseekers and Digimon World: Next Order

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The main character of Star Ocean 5 is smarter than your average RPG Hero. I am frankly astonished.

He is, actually. And both Fiore and Miki are very intelligent as well. However, Miki's voice is insufferable, and Fiore's outfit is comethefuckon bad.

I've stopped playing the game because I just couldn't take it anymore. It's up on eBay because I'd like to get something for it. :(

I just looked her costume up and you were not exaggerating. SO2 was one of my favorite games but 3 and 4 were flawed and not good in my opinion. And I am to old to spend 80 hours staring at jailbait strippers without feeling really creepy.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    SO4 was deeply flawed in that it's battle system was terrible.
    SO3 was fantastic.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I think it lost something I enjoyed in the transition between 2 and 3d. I can't put my finger on it but I enjoyed 3 less then 2 by a lot.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    So... SO5 is actually somewhat good?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Akilae wrote: »

Early on, but so far it's very much 'Star Ocean 3 battle system with improvements and seamless on the map 60fps battles with shitloads of characters and shit going on' and somewhat decent characterization. It also pulls a Star Ocean 1 where the main character is actually a local and not from space. The story's clearly sci-fi influenced from really on though.

Item Creation is more SO2 than SO3.

There basically isn't a single trace of Star Ocean 4 in the entire game that I can see so far. Combat is straight SO3++. Everything else is slight nods to SO1-3 so far. And the music is fantastic.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

SO5 is a bad game. I enjoyed it at first, but it's so flawed that I just can't warrant trudging through any more of it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

SO5 is a bad game. I enjoyed it at first, but it's so flawed that I just can't warrant trudging through any more of it.

Says the person that returns a game because of an outfit of a character and another character's voice? o.O

I mean, did you have comments on the actual story or gameplay?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I recently went on a Shantae bing myself a while ago. The first game is ok, but it's kind of clunky by today's standards now. Worth playing especially for that price. But by the end you're going to hate the dancing transform mechanic, despise the map layout and the backtracking you'll have to do (there are quick warps, but only if you find the secret squids in dungeons first), and tear your hair out at the difficulty while you're slogging back and forth through the maps. If by the end you're thinking "This has elements of greatness, too bad parts of it are junky", then keep going, because...

Second game improves things dramatically across the board. It's a complete joy to play. Its major flaw is that it's criminally short.

Third game fixes the length problem and is just a complete joy. period.

It's too bad all the creepy sexualization ruined them for me. It really had no place in those games.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I recently went on a Shantae bing myself a while ago. The first game is ok, but it's kind of clunky by today's standards now. Worth playing especially for that price. But by the end you're going to hate the dancing transform mechanic, despise the map layout and the backtracking you'll have to do (there are quick warps, but only if you find the secret squids in dungeons first), and tear your hair out at the difficulty while you're slogging back and forth through the maps. If by the end you're thinking "This has elements of greatness, too bad parts of it are junky", then keep going, because...

Second game improves things dramatically across the board. It's a complete joy to play. Its major flaw is that it's criminally short.

Third game fixes the length problem and is just a complete joy. period.

It's too bad all the creepy sexualization ruined them for me. It really had no place in those games.

Shantae is sexualized?

I can say they're some of the best modern 2d platformers around this gen.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Says the person that returns a game because of an outfit of a character and another character's voice? o.O

Their reasons for dropping the game are just as valid as your reasons for continuing to play

Also, yes, Shantae is sexualized

I adore those games but come on

Even something as simple as ducking necessitates ass-wiggling

If it doesn't bother you that's fine (it doesn't bother me) but it's pretty hard to pretend it's not there

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options

No, there are a ton of reasons I've decided to sell my copy.

The story was, so far, transparent jrpg trope garbage. The voice acting I'd call barely passable. About the outfits.. I liked Fiore as a character, especially the self-confident, intelligent woman who is, by jrpg standards, middle aged. But the outfit was fucking ridiculous, and there's really no arguing that.

Let's talk about gameplay. They try to do these massive battles, which is cool, until the framerate drops to a crawl. Which it never should because the graphics wouldn't look out of place in a late gen ps3 game. A lot of the "dungeons" were a straight path, but oh it's tricky because there's one loop that gives the illusion of a more open area.

But hey, that's fine, because the actual open areas look terrible. The draw distance is so low that you sometimes don't see enemies until you're right on them. They have tried to make this open world reminiscent of Xenoblade Chronicles X, but the world feels lifeless. Textures are bland, the monsters are dumb, and there seems to be little to no reason behind the placement of... anything, really.

I spent money on the collector's edition. I wanted to like the game. The videos I watched made it look pretty fun, but it was disappointing. I didn't want to hate the game. Don't make this out to be something it's not. SO5 is a bad game.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Here's The Drop for this week.
    New Releases: July 5, 2016

The Banner Saga 2
    PS4 — Digital

The award-winning adventure continues in Banner Saga 2! This epic story-based RPG continues its emotional journey across a breaking world. Bold leadership decisions, wise use of resources, and skillful battle tactics are vital to ensure your Viking clans make it through alive. If played, your choices will carry over from the first game, or you can start fresh with new preset characters.

Carmageddon: Max Damage
    PS4 — Digital, Retail (Out 7/8)

Carmageddon: Max Damage is the driving sensation where your opponents are a bunch of crazies in a twisted mix of mad cars. Select from more than 30 metal mangling vehicles designed for the job in wrecking opponents, chasing down pedestrians, and causing maximum chaos!

Energy Hook
    PS4 — Digital

Energy Hook challenges you to chain together sequences of tricks, wall-runs, and stylish moves for massive scores. Hurtle through time challenges by using tricks to gain speed and seek out collectibles hidden throughout the levels. Energy Hook is a challenging game that requires a great deal of finesse and practice to master! Do you have what it takes?

Furi
    PS4 — Digital

You were captured. See what they did to you… The jailer is the key, kill him and you’ll be free. Fight your way free in this ultra-responsive, fast-paced sword fighting and dual-stick shooting game.

Hawken
    PS4 — Digital (Out 7/8)

War is a Machine. Hawken is a multiplayer FPS that places you inside a mechanized war machine on the battlefield of a dystopian world. With tactical, fast-paced gameplay in customizable and upgradable mechs across multiple competitive modes, Hawken is explosively fun.

Lost Sea
    PS4 — Digital

After a freak storm over the Atlantic, you find yourself stranded on the shores of a mysterious island. Do you have what it takes to escape the Lost Sea? Lost Sea is an action-adventure game set inside the Bermuda Triangle. Recruit a crew of survivors who can help you explore the hazardous islands as you hunt for the artifacts needed to survive.

Lumo
    PS Vita — Digital

Witness the rebirth of a genre in Lumo — a classic isometric adventure with a modern twist for gamers young and old alike! As a contemporary take on the long-lost isometric platform genre, Lumo can be enjoyed by anyone looking for an absorbing, challenging, and rewarding adventure. With more than 400 rooms across four unique zones, six hidden mini-games and all kinds of secrets to uncover, Lumo is a true voyage of discovery.

Metal Slug Anthology (PS2)
    PS4 — Digital

Seven incredible Metal Slug games: Metal Slug, Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4, Metal Slug 5, and Metal Slug 6 are in this definitive collection. Your job is to help the Regular Army defeat Gen. Morden’s rebellion by using a myriad of different characters, vehicles, and weapons!

Rocket League: Collector’s Edition
    PS4 — Retail

Soccer meets driving once again in the long-awaited, physics-based sequel to the beloved arena classic, Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars! Rocket League equips players with booster-rigged vehicles that can be crashed into balls for incredible goals or epic saves across multiple, highly-detailed arenas.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII
    PS4 — Digital, Retail

The ultimate depiction of the Three Kingdoms. A heroic drama of gathering Legends. An experience that will immerse you even deeper into the world of the Three Kingdoms, with human drama seen through the interactions of the heroes of the time and spectacular battles.

Not a whole lot of stuff this week, but there's some good stuff for what is there. Rocket League gets a physical release in the Collector's Edition and it's joined by just about everything else this week. The Banner Saga 2 is likely on a few people's minds as is Hawken, while Furi will be one of the PS Plus titles for the month as soon as it releases.

For the couple of people who would be interested, I'm pretty sure that Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII will be including an officer mode ala 7, 8 and 10 (contrary to the Ruler-only approach) and will hopefully be just as fun to dick around with. (My personal favorite thing to do in 10 was going out with an army to build a fort and then immediately cancelling that to go invade some poor sap's kingdom or territory when the Ruler denied an outright invasion. It's a fun workaround on the AI.)

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I sure hope Energy Hook is good and not shitty

• Options
    Has anyone played the early access version of Carmageddon? I loved the old games, especially 2, but I have no idea if the new one holds up.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

The story was, so far, transparent jrpg trope garbage. The voice acting I'd call barely passable. About the outfits.. I liked Fiore as a character, especially the self-confident, intelligent woman who is, by jrpg standards, middle aged. But the outfit was fucking ridiculous, and there's really no arguing that.

Let's talk about gameplay. They try to do these massive battles, which is cool, until the framerate drops to a crawl. Which it never should because the graphics wouldn't look out of place in a late gen ps3 game. A lot of the "dungeons" were a straight path, but oh it's tricky because there's one loop that gives the illusion of a more open area.

But hey, that's fine, because the actual open areas look terrible. The draw distance is so low that you sometimes don't see enemies until you're right on them. They have tried to make this open world reminiscent of Xenoblade Chronicles X, but the world feels lifeless. Textures are bland, the monsters are dumb, and there seems to be little to no reason behind the placement of... anything, really.

I spent money on the collector's edition. I wanted to like the game. The videos I watched made it look pretty fun, but it was disappointing. I didn't want to hate the game. Don't make this out to be something it's not. SO5 is a bad game.

No offense, man, but your opinions are like super opinionish. I mean, you start with "transparent jrpg trope garbage". To me, that's not someone with a rational viewpoint, its someone pre-disposed to hating something because it's of a genre he already hates. It'd be like if I reviewed "Until Dawn" and immediately said "this is horror movie trope garbage" because I hate horror movies (which I do, and hence why I never bothered with the game). I mean, if you didn't want a jrpg story, why did you buy a jrpg in the first place?

Also, most of your other "facts' are really just super opinionish ideas about the artistic style and game design decisions that in no way have any actual barring on the game. I mean, its totally reasonable for you to dislike the decisions they made. That's cool. But for you to go around screaming that the game is shit because you don't like the style choices they've made is super opinionish and kinda makes you look bad in my eyes. I don't think I could ever trust your thoughts on a game, because you see anything you simply don't like as being shit.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Quality is subjective. Shadowfire subjectively thinks it is a bad game because of reasons stated. And they are perfectly valid reasons to think something is bad.

• Options
    I don't write professional reviews, really. Even when I was writing they were for an amateur site. But ah... reviews are opinions, so that is fine I think. I've noted enough of the fake open world, the framerate problems, and other technical issues, so if you think that's just artistic direction, I can't really say more. It's a bad game.

That said, I can sometimes enjoy bad games. Advent Rising is one of my favorite games, and it's really Fucking bad. Alpha Protocol is a game that plays like shit, but at least has great writing backing it up, and I loved it.

This is not a game I enjoyed.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    For the couple of people who would be interested, I'm pretty sure that Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII will be including an officer mode ala 7, 8 and 10 (contrary to the Ruler-only approach) and will hopefully be just as fun to dick around with. (My personal favorite thing to do in 10 was going out with an army to build a fort and then immediately cancelling that to go invade some poor sap's kingdom or territory when the Ruler denied an outright invasion. It's a fun workaround on the AI.)

Awesome, looking forward to your impressions.

Energy Hook was developed by the guy who designed Spider-Man 2's web swinging mechanics, so there's some legacy behind the mechanics and I think it's worth keeping an eye on.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »

No offense, man, but your opinions are like super opinionish. I mean, you start with "transparent jrpg trope garbage". To me, that's not someone with a rational viewpoint, its someone pre-disposed to hating something because it's of a genre he already hates. It'd be like if I reviewed "Until Dawn" and immediately said "this is horror movie trope garbage" because I hate horror movies (which I do, and hence why I never bothered with the game). I mean, if you didn't want a jrpg story, why did you buy a jrpg in the first place?

Also, most of your other "facts' are really just super opinionish ideas about the artistic style and game design decisions that in no way have any actual barring on the game. I mean, its totally reasonable for you to dislike the decisions they made. That's cool. But for you to go around screaming that the game is shit because you don't like the style choices they've made is super opinionish and kinda makes you look bad in my eyes. I don't think I could ever trust your thoughts on a game, because you see anything you simply don't like as being shit.

It's just as valid as the "completely immune to the lolicon aesthetic" people posting in here's opinions. Probably more so because Shadow's viewpoints are less niche. Not that I dislike hearing the positive impressions, it helps me decide what I would probably think about it by hearing both.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    My way of filtering out Star Ocean reviews: Is the reviewer listening to English voices when the original are available? I can ignore his opinion.

• Options
    There's no excuse for having bad English voice acting in your game

• Options
    There's nothing wrong with the SO5 dub outside of being renegotiable voice actors in the video game/anime/western animation world. If you've played recent Fire Emblem, Atelier, Neptunia, Persona/SMT, and the like JRPGs you've heard all these voices before. Hell, Crispin Freeman voices Victor.

At least, I haven't had any personal complaints with the voice acting. I've found it rather enjoyable.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    My way of filtering out Star Ocean reviews: Is the reviewer listening to English voices when the original are available? I can ignore his opinion.

Dubs are usually good in modern games, and are part of the experience and deserve to be judged.

People who want to experience a game in their own language should not have their opinions invalidated.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Carmageddon?! How did I not realise that was coming out?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Yo, I heard people were having opinions in here?

I'm on Tanline Island in Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and they just straight up took the four main female characters and gave them all Princess Leia outfits. The reason I'm OK with it? They actually comment on the outfits in various ways. One character is completely indifferent. One is completely against it. One is totally into it and says she's keeping it when you all escape the area. The only one who didn't really offer an opinion was Shantae, but she's a belly-dancing genie, so I doubt she cares much. So far every major female character has been pretty badass. I can see being skeeved out by it all, but I absolutely appreciate when a game calls attention to itself like that. Hell, there's a squid who details the ridiculous nature of vacation catalogues with beautiful people being beautiful. The two girls on spring break splashing around in a pool were a bit much, certainly. But the game is fun and the art is far from the focus. It's just kind of there and made fun of a lot.

• Options
    Yeah, the mood of Shantae games is personally one that I would call "fun and flirtatious"

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Dubs are usually good in modern games, and are part of the experience and deserve to be judged.

People who want to experience a game in their own language should not have their opinions invalidated.

Reviews are subjective, so it's best to look for reviewers who tend to like the things you do. If a reviewer is looking for an English dub, I know that I can ignore it because we likely have very little in common.

It'd be like if I reviewed Overwatch or some other big MP-focused game. Because I don't play multiplayer games, I'd probably sum it up as "terrible single player experience, some cute girls, 3/10", and anyone who wanted a multiplayer game would be right in ignoring my opinion.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I don't know where else to ask this... but how easy it is to find the two Kingdom Hearts PS3 compilations in the Bay Area?
    I wanna buy them, but I don't know if I should get them here in Brazil or wait until I'm in SF next month to buy them at a Gamespot or something.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    JRPG's are a trash genre, so all them are bad. There, argument over.

• Options
    Yet one of the best games of the year, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, is a jurp.

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    [PSN] I already am eating from the trash can all the time. The name of this trash can is JRPGs.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    I don't know where else to ask this... but how easy it is to find the two Kingdom Hearts PS3 compilations in the Bay Area?
    I wanna buy them, but I don't know if I should get them here in Brazil or wait until I'm in SF next month to buy them at a Gamespot or something.

I don't live in the Bay Area but they're readily available at any Best Buy, Walmart or GameStop

You could use the official websites for those stores and search stores in that area by their zip code to confirm

• Options
    Yet one of the best games of the year, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, is a jurp.

Also, I'm still loving the shit out of Trails of Cold Steel, and the second part of that comes out later this year.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Picked up a PS4 Uncharted bundle on Thursday with a bunch of giftcards I had. I already have a gaming PC, Xbone, and WiiU so I wasn't actually planning on ever getting a PS4 but I really wanted to play Uncharted 4, had a unexpected windfall of giftcards, and had 5 days to myself without my wife or baby in town. so... here we are

The console is just for exclusives for me. Finished Uncharted last night and picked up LBP3 for $6 from the current PSN sale (even though I dunno how much I'll actually play it, but hey 6 bucks). Is it just me though or does the rest of the current BIG SALE kinda suck? Barely any other exclusives on there it seems like, or at least not what I'm looking for.

I figure I should pick up the new Ratchet and Clank asap but it's $50 bones! Other things I guess are Last of Us Remaster and Nathan Drake collection since I no longer have a PS3. Maybe Infamous Second Son? I don't know, are there any good exclusives out for this thing? (note, I dislike JRPGs most of the time and I'm super not into Souls games so no Bloodborne in my future)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Street Fighting?

No Man's Sky (soon-ish)?

• Options
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Street Fighting?

No Man's Sky (soon-ish)?

Neither of these are PS4 exclusive ;)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    The only exclusive I can think of that you might like that you didn't list would be Until Dawn

It's not a terribly great system for exclusives (especially if you're not into JRPGs), its strength lies in being the better multiplatform console (for games you're likely already getting on PC) and getting more of the smaller indie games (that you're likely already getting on PC)

Infamous is good but it's also the weakest Infamous game (relatively speaking)

Just keep an eye out for future exclusives I guess, maybe Horizon would interest you early next year

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Just to show how dire this PSN "sale" is if you only want to play exclusives here's the list:
    Battle Trivia Knockout - $6.99 $2.79 $2.09
    Ender of Fire - $14.99 $4.49 $2.99
    J-Stars Victory Vs. + - $59.99 $17.99 $11.99
    LittleBigPlanet 3 - $19.99 $7.99 $5.99
    Rally Copters - $6.99 $2.79 $2.09 (Cross-Buy)
    Super Stardust Ultra - $12.99 $6.49 $3.24
    Sword Art Online: Lost Song - $59.99 $23.99 $17.99

I haven't heard of 5 of these 7 games.

yikes.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    That is indeed dire

I'm sure you realize how in the minority you are though

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Horizon and the new God of War both look intriguing. I don't 'regret' my purchase per se as I had a great 14 hours with Uncharted 4 over the weekend (and maybe 3 more playing multiplayer with my 2 day PSN trial) but now that I'm done with that game it's a bit of a bummer.

also ya I'm for sure super in the minority but it really shows how limited the exclusives are compared to Xbone. I guess Sony just doesn't give a fuck since they sell so many of these things.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
This discussion has been closed.