As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overwatch: New hero, Ana, out now

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Doesn't every shooter start dying as soon as the next one comes out, slowly withering away until it just disappears a year or two later? Even more than most other multiplayer games.

this is only true of games like CoD and Battlfield which come out annually

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Two games out of thousands does not seem like a good percentage. I have also never met anyone who has ever played either of those games, even the ones who play shooters (and have been playing Overwatch). Maybe that's a good sign for Overwatch, I guess.

TheStig wrote: »
    This is why the game doesn't let Reynold surrender. You can still win when getting rolled in previous rounds.

Even if I knew with 100% certainty that I would win that game in the end in triple overtime after a huge blowout at the start, I would still prefer to quit five minutes in and start a new match that would hopefully play better from the beginning.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    I can't prove it, but I think the most important thing for FPS longevity is game balance.

edit: Almost all of my non PA friends are done with it and back at CSGO at this point for reasons related to that. Mostly same speed walking backwards as forwards and maps that are heavily tilted.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Doesn't every shooter start dying as soon as the next one comes out, slowly withering away until it just disappears a year or two later? Even more than most other multiplayer games.

this is only true of games like CoD and Battlfield which come out annually

Not even those. Folks still play the previous iterations.

Sure hackers are more likely and searching a little longer but you can still find thousands on at any given time.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm actually curious to see the legs on this game.

On the one hand, hugely popular right now.

On the other hand, essentially zero meaningful progression and no gameplay unlocks. Unlocks are not something I personally enjoy, but they have become a staple of the genre for a reason, it does keep many people playing longer, and, a lack of unlocks have often be cited as one of the reasons why otherwise good games like Titanfall had such short popularity.

Blizzard does have plans to release new content for Overwatch, yes, however, Blizzard tends to release content at a rather glacial (hah!) rate.

I think the first big test will be what happens to the player base when the next big FPS like Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, etc come out.

Most of this speculation is focused on the US playerbase, I don't really know how FPS fanbases in other regions work, I could see the game sticking around longer in say, Korea than in the US, for example.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Meaningful progression came out yesterday.

I'm sure there will be end of season rewards for higher ranks.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hmm...if they fix the loot system and release a decent amount of new heroes/stages I'm sure it'll have a healthy life for a while.

Personally my time with it will probably decrease once the fall/winter game rush hits but even then I doubt I'll stop entirely.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

An MMR rating that other folks can see isn't what people mean when they talk about progression in FPS games, talking about weapon unlocks, perks, etc.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

I think they already said those rewards were only going to a tiny percentage at the top. Top 500 or 1000 players? Out of 10 million. Might as well not exist.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular

it's the golden guns, the devs haven't suggested anything else exists

cosmetic unlocks are...on the one hand, if you're gonna have microtransactions, they should only be cosmetic in a game like this (imo)

but they don't feed into the gameplay loop of constantly unlocking new things that keeps people coming back, which you see in most big shooters

• Options
    PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    We're still in the Honeymoon Stage on this thing, for sure, but Blizzard has a way of keeping their games in the public eye. If there's one thing Blizzard games don't want for, it's long-term support by the company.

Even if it takes a big dip come Xmas time, I doubt Overwatch's playerbase will drop anywhere near unplayable levels for years to come.

brig_banner.png
  • Options
    Personally those big unlocks are usually what keeps me from playing fps games very long. They create too much of an imbalance as you have to make the higher rank stuff the better stuff or else why bother working toward it?

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Update: Still bad at this game, still having a lot of fun.

When I get a chance to play, that is.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They will figure out how to make the loot boxes more rewarding, or add a stipend of credits to each victory, or something like that.

Blizzard is ridiculous when it comes to completely revamping systems that they think might be holding back the longevity of their games. See: Diablo III's auction house that doesn't exist anymore.

• Options
    MrPsycohed wrote: »
    We're still in the Honeymoon Stage on this thing, for sure, but Blizzard has a way of keeping their games in the public eye. If there's one thing Blizzard games don't want for, it's long-term support by the company.

Even if it takes a big dip come Xmas time, I doubt Overwatch's playerbase will drop anywhere near unplayable levels for years to come.

Oh I doubt it will be unplayable until Blizz shuts off the servers a decade from now. Titanfall never got unplayable but people called it dead for like, a year by now.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    okay

had a ridiculously close match on competitive that went back and forth (forever) where we managed to squeak away a win on by storming the first point in record time

hoping that competitive gives me more moments like that, because that was a super fun match

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Look, a lot of games raided the tomb of Super Monday Night Combat and only Overwatch was able to come away with enough magical artifacts to properly challenge TF2. Nobody's heard from Gigantic since they went in and Battleborn just came out holding an obviously cursed obsidian orb.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Look, a lot of games raided the tomb of Super Monday Night Combat and only Overwatch was able to come away with enough magical artifacts to properly challenge TF2. Nobody's heard from Gigantic since they went in and Battleborn just came out holding an obviously cursed obsidian orb.

What does overwatch have to do with MNC?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It's a progression of that kind of game.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Every shooty game with a cartoony look is ripping off mnc

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

On the other hand, essentially zero meaningful progression and no gameplay unlocks. Unlocks are not something I personally enjoy, but they have become a staple of the genre for a reason, it does keep many people playing longer, and, a lack of unlocks have often be cited as one of the reasons why otherwise good games like Titanfall had such short popularity.

Blizzard does have plans to release new content for Overwatch, yes, however, Blizzard tends to release content at a rather glacial (hah!) rate.

I think the first big test will be what happens to the player base when the next big FPS like Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2, etc come out.

Most of this speculation is focused on the US playerbase, I don't really know how FPS fanbases in other regions work, I could see the game sticking around longer in say, Korea than in the US, for example.

I don't agree that progression and unlocks are essential to a game having long term popularity, such systems are certainly popular but there's also clear examples of games that don't have them surviving just fine, like Counterstrike, and plenty of examples of new FPSes with progression and unlocks failing miserably.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Gigantic got a shot of funding from Perfect World recently.

I don't know how well it'll hold up but it's still out there. May be for the best that it got delayed because if it had to launch against bborn and OW it would've had trouble standing out.

It still might, but it's a super pretty game and the couple times I've played it I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

• Options
    oh god yeah gigantic was gonna get buried alive, wise to not release for a while

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular

I don't agree that progression and unlocks are essential to a game having long term popularity, such systems are certainly popular but there's also clear examples of games that don't have them surviving just fine, like Counterstrike, and plenty of examples of new FPSes with progression and unlocks failing miserably.

I mean CS has been big for a long time, but the recent explosion in popularity coincided with a ridiculously expansive cosmetic unlock system.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Lorahalo wrote: »

I mean CS has been big for a long time, but the recent explosion in popularity coincided with a ridiculously expansive cosmetic unlock system.

he's not talking about cosmetic unlocks, he's talking about CoD/battlefield style gameplay-affecting unlocks

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Counterstrike is interesting because while still popular I think if a game that followed the same philosophy as it does was released today it wouldn't have anywhere near the longevity.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Gigantic got a shot of funding from Perfect World recently.

I don't know how well it'll hold up but it's still out there. May be for the best that it got delayed because if it had to launch against bborn and OW it would've had trouble standing out.

It still might, but it's a super pretty game and the couple times I've played it I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

Gigantic is the game Lexxy is doing art for, right?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I hate non-cosmetic unlocks in competitive games. They're the primary reason with I don't play COD or Battlefield.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    she was at some point, unsure if she's still working there

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    She's still there per Twitter.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I hate non-cosmetic unlocks in competitive games. They're the primary reason with I don't play COD or Battlefield.

This is the main reason I got so mad at that Jimquisition that was bashing the loot boxes while praising garden warfare 2's loot system.

Gw2 is same deal, just alt methods to earn currency.

BUT, they had non cosmetics , and I hit max level on 17 classes. Spent almost a billion currency.

Still was missing the 2 most powerful abilities for my 2 mains, and was missing two entire classes, after almost a year of play.

That Shit is awful, keep loot boxes cosmetic only

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Gameplay unlocks are actually the main thing that drove me away from TF2.

broken image link
  • Options
    Honestly. The competition in the FPS market is so steep these days I don't think its realistic for any one game to stay at the top for long.

Sure CoD does it but it also has annual releases and spends millions in marketing.

Doesn't mean you can't have a healthy retention rate though.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I won my first placement match. I just retire on top now, right?

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    me, pouring chex mix into my mouth between respawns

mercy, HEROES NEVER DIE

chex mix, all over my floor

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The thing that will keep me playing Overwatch is that I really like playing Overwatch

Full stop

That there will also be new content released regularly for as long as there are people playing this game is an excellent incentive also

It's separate from something like a Call of Duty, where I'm playing to get unlocks and customize my class, or something like Battlefield, where I'm playing for the chaos and the atmosphere and causing a ruckus with my friends as much as I am the shooting

Titanfall is actually a closer comparison for me, because the way the movement feels in Titanfall is reason enough to keep going back, but the lack of... well, almost anything else really hurt the replay value and if I didn't know people still playing it on occasion I would never touch it anymore

Overwatch occupies the slot TF2 did for a long time, where I want to keep playing it because it's fun to play, and the more I play it the more I get better at it and the more I get better the more fun I have

Yeah, eventually I'll fall off, because no game lasts forever. But TF2 took years for me to finally walk away from it, and if I can get years out of Overwatch, that's more than enough

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    me, pouring chex mix into my mouth between respawns

mercy, HEROES NEVER DIE

chex mix, all over my floor

The amount of time I've been reaching for my drink or taking a bite of something and gone "OH FUCK, HEROES NEVER DIE" is very high

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    6 wins 4 losses in competitive, rating 50.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    necroSYS wrote: »
    my experience last night was mostly positive. I was 5/10 on my initial matches, so I got ranked 45. I then spent most of the next few hours trying to get back to 45 after getting mostly facerolled, but there were a few bright spots.

My Lucio shot a McCree into spaaaace on Wang Tower just as the clock struck high noon.

Mostly, I'd like to see a better algorithm for map choice. I got Gibraltar four fucking times in a row, followed by a Dorado and a Hollywood.

You don't have to randomize it completely, but can you at least switch the map type? Feh.

Yeah competitive went reasonably well..

Lost 5, then won 3, lost one, and won the last, ended up at 44. Then played another one and got to 45.

The first placement matches we lost were toooootal suicides from our side, I felt like no one hit anyone.

I mean it can't be right if I have most damage, most kills, most objective time as REINHARDT and always die last, too, while killing 2 people.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    Yeah the first few days are going to be a little dumb. Once players stratify to their true rank it'll be a lot smoother.

Actually the game should have SOME info through quick play, or is the internal skill rating totally separated?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.