As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad News... in a good way.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Those videos just make me angry. People are the worst.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Man that is a work of genius. The sheer terror those people must feel has to be very cathartic for the poor dude.

Though I think I did see one just sprint away with the box so clearly his own life isn't as important as the mystery of the box.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't know that I'd resist the temptation to put in something actually harmful.

That's a felony in the US.

Stuff like this isn't because you don't actively mean to maim random people.

The dye pack is a hilariously amazing idea though if you can get it to work right.

I really want to see the blooper reel of him trying to arm the dye bomb.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Poop.

There was a story a few weeks back about a mom doing the fake package for a thief thing with a discarded diaper. Presumably she'd have access to a lot of replacements if one didn't do the trick.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Bad News: Guy is frustrated with people stealing packages off his porch.

Gone Right: He invents a booby trapped box that fires off a shotgun blank when picked up
    The more time and money Jaireme Barrow spent to keep people from swiping packages off his front porch, the angrier he got.

He’d show police in Tacoma, Wash., crystal-clear surveillance video of porch pirates strolling onto his front yard and then making off with what he could only assume were the Jeep parts and electronics he’d paid for. But there were never any arrests.

As he grew more incensed, he realized he wanted more than identities or charges or even the stuff in the boxes.

He wanted revenge.

Then, the 34-year-old had an explosive idea.

“I was thinking, how could I scare them and make them drop my package and then never come to my front porch again,” Barrow told The Washington Post. “And I thought, ‘Getting shot at is scary. That’ll make them think twice.’ ”

With that, TheBlankBox was born.

And if you are wondering if there are any videos of this wonderful new device in action: Why yes, there is

The brazenness of those shits is ridiculous. I've never seen anything like that.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Package thefts seem really hit or miss. Either you get something expensive or some person's mundane small purchases from amazon pantry or something.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Gone Right: He invents a booby trapped box that fires off a shotgun blank when picked up
    The more time and money Jaireme Barrow spent to keep people from swiping packages off his front porch, the angrier he got.

He’d show police in Tacoma, Wash., crystal-clear surveillance video of porch pirates strolling onto his front yard and then making off with what he could only assume were the Jeep parts and electronics he’d paid for. But there were never any arrests.

As he grew more incensed, he realized he wanted more than identities or charges or even the stuff in the boxes.

He wanted revenge.

“I was thinking, how could I scare them and make them drop my package and then never come to my front porch again,” Barrow told The Washington Post. “And I thought, ‘Getting shot at is scary. That’ll make them think twice.’ ”

And if you are wondering if there are any videos of this wonderful new device in action: Why yes, there is

The brazenness of those shits is ridiculous. I've never seen anything like that.

They were running away to their car. So are people just cruising around wasting gas looking for packages? Does this heist really require a getaway vehicle?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Package thefts seem really hit or miss. Either you get something expensive or some person's mundane small purchases from amazon pantry or something.

Nobody steals just one package.

Edit: ok, not nobody nobody, but it's like lootbox microtransactions. If you want any chance at the big score, you need to open many and often.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

He wanted revenge.

They were running away to their car. So are people just cruising around wasting gas looking for packages? Does this heist really require a getaway vehicle?

There was a thing here recently with people following the parcel delivery van and grabbing the parcels as they're being delivered.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This entire phenomenon is completely alien to me, but mostly because I

A: Live in Canada
    and
    B: For most of my life have lived in condos/apartment buildings

Virtually all parcels I've ever received have been shipped by Canada Post. And if you're not home when they come, they don't leave it on the porch or the lobby. They leave a frigging card in your mailbox which you take to the post office (usually the nearest one to you, in my experience never more than a few blocks away at most) and you pick the damn thing up. Slightly inconvenient? Sure I guess at times. It also completely solves this theft problem as well.

That said, I now live currently in a proper individual home with a real porch balcony. It's also off to the side from the street, and with the surrounding wooden enclosure, you really can't see anything on it from the street. So if deliveries did start being left on it, I guess I wouldn't be too worried at first. I wouldn't expect it though. I'd expect a bloody card in the mailbox.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular

and

Virtually all parcels I've ever received have been shipped by Canada Post. And if you're not home when they come, they don't leave it on the porch or the lobby. They leave a frigging card in your mailbox which you take to the post office (usually the nearest one to you, in my experience never more than a few blocks away at most) and you pick the damn thing up. Slightly inconvenient? Sure I guess at times. It also completely solves this theft problem as well.

That said, I now live currently in a proper individual home with a real porch balcony. It's also off to the side from the street, and with the surrounding wooden enclosure, you really can't see anything on it from the street. So if deliveries did start being left on it, I guess I wouldn't be too worried at first. I wouldn't expect it though. I'd expect a bloody card in the mailbox.

This isn't always true about Canada Post anymore. I'm certain my fiance has had a couple packages delivered that I've found on the doorstep.

Now, mostly they're stupid DHL leaving her BarkBox on the stoop, but I just thought I'd give you a heads-up. I've also personally had UPS take packages around to the back of the house and leave them on the deck by the patio door a few times, but not lately. Anyway, we're not safe from this just by being Canadian, unfortunately.

• Options
    I've had them leave packages on my porch or stoop or whatever all the time. It's just, you know, no one ever steals them because wtf.

That's including when I was living downtown and my door was like 25 feet from a decently busy sidewalk.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I've never had them leave them on the doorstep but if it's a small enough box to fit in the mailbox, sometimes

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I don't know how it is in Canada, but here people who work 9-5 can have a hard time getting to the post office.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited December 2017

and

'Muricans to lazy to do something like go to the post office which we total fucked budget wise making it a pain in the ass to go to.And the only person lazier then someone who doesn't want to go to the post office is the delivery driver who can't be bothered to ring the doorbell.

Edit: We are also stupid so people will go to UPS instead of USPS.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

and

We use the exact same system for certain parcels. I don't know what qualifiers there are other than things that require the driver to get a signature on delivery.

• Options
    Meanwhile, in my building, residents will sometimes bring a package (that isn't theirs) out of the unlocked entryway and into the hallway if it hasn't been claimed for a few days, just to keep it safer.

I like my neighbors.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

and

In theory, it's possible to request items not to be left on one's doorstep here if no one answers the door and signs for it. Some packages seem to get that treatment by default, e.g. the PS3 I ordered years back. Some areas seem to get that treatment by default by certain delivery services. That does not prevent the delivery person from sometimes ignoring those requests and leaving it on the doorstep regardless.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    My favorite is when the delivery person picks up the doormat and puts it on top of the package. I guess it's like hiding a key?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    When I rented I once came home to a post-it note reading, "Couldn't fit both boxes, left other in box M6."

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I don't know how it is in Canada, but here people who work 9-5 can have a hard time getting to the post office.

Packages sent through post here in Norway is always "notice in mailbox" if it's to big to fit the mailbox, to be picked up at the "post office".

Not really post offices, though: Postal services are handled in select grocery stores (just about always within walking distance).

So my local "post office" is open 0700-2300 mon-fri, 0800-2300 sat (sun closed). If you can't make that I don't really think you want your parcel.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Packages sent through post here in Norway is always "notice in mailbox" if it's to big to fit the mailbox, to be picked up at the "post office".

Not really post offices, though: Postal services are handled in select grocery stores (just about always within walking distance).

So my local "post office" is open 0700-2300 mon-fri, 0800-2300 sat (sun closed). If you can't make that I don't really think you want your parcel.

Some grocery stores here have that as a service that you have to request, but it's not the default. Very useful though.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Trying to pick up packages from the usps here is a nightmare. It’s a giant warehouse and hours are 10-4. Then you go to this bizarre unmarked door, ring a buzzer, wait for an indeterminate amount of time (anywhere from 5-15 minutes) with no indication that anyone is coming. Then if someone does show up, they might go find the package or just argue with you about where it is. And that’s all assuming the tracking is correct, which it often isn’t.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I wish amazon would stop using the USPS because that's who I've had the most problems with with package theft. I suspect it's the actual delivery driver doing it but I dunno. I was home one day and the package was marked delivered while I was taking a shower and I went downstairs and nothing was there and I doubt in the 10 minutes it potentially sat there someone stole it, and it's an apartment so I can't just put a camera outside either.

Fedex and UPS don't have issues. Plus if I hold the package at a location I can just show up and pick it up, USPS if I "hold the package at the post office" it still ends up out for delivery for some reason.

I doubt the cost savings by switching to USPS really saved them any money over UPS.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I wish amazon would stop using the USPS because that's who I've had the most problems with with package theft. I suspect it's the actual delivery driver doing it but I dunno. I was home one day and the package was marked delivered while I was taking a shower and I went downstairs and nothing was there and I doubt in the 10 minutes it potentially sat there someone stole it, and it's an apartment so I can't just put a camera outside either.

Fedex and UPS don't have issues. Plus if I hold the package at a location I can just show up and pick it up, USPS if I "hold the package at the post office" it still ends up out for delivery for some reason.

I doubt the cost savings by switching to USPS really saved them any money over UPS.

Fedex and UPS will use the USPS for last-mile delivery too.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

Fedex and UPS will use the USPS for last-mile delivery too.

Not here they don't. In some cases they do for certain types of ground packages that aren't urgent because the last-mile adds another 3 days to the delivery time for us.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    DHL (as part of the German post office) in Germany has automated packet station in most areas you can get your stuff delivered to. They can be used 24/7. It's really handy. Otherwise you can tell the post to either give packages to a specified neighbor, leave it at a specified place at your home, or at the post office of your choosing.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Are they showing up a day later?

https://lifehacker.com/why-you-have-a-delivery-confirmation-and-no-package-fro-1821090068

And the alternative to USPS is subcontracting a guy with a truck who might dump more then a package.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

https://lifehacker.com/why-you-have-a-delivery-confirmation-and-no-package-fro-1821090068

And the alternative to USPS is subcontracting a guy with a truck who might dump more then a package.

Amazon drivers are way better at getting my packages to me quickly. And, you know, actually delivering them. For anything requiring a signature USPS doesn't even ring the bell, they just leave a Sorry We Missed You kind of card and force me to drive to the post office another day.

UPS and Fed Ex are the best, but I'll gladly take Amazon's contracted randos over the USPS in my area.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Nope, they never show up at all. Ever.

I sometimes forget to switch my address before it ships on amazon and the ones that get shipped to my actual apartment just never show up. We're not sure where they're going and the past 3 times I've reported the lost package to the USPS no one ever seemed to do anything.

The USPS and I are not on the best of terms and haven't been for the past 10 years and it's the one thing I can't stand about the government in general.

I get junk mail no problem though. Even stuff that doesn't have the right address somehow manages to find its way to me if it's junk mail.

bowen on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Hours of operation for my local post office (~15 minute walk)
    Sunday 12:00 - 16:00
    Monday 09:00 - 21:00
    Tuesday 09:00 - 21:00
    Wednesday 09:00 - 21:00
    Thursday 09:00 - 21:00
    Friday 09:00 - 21:00
    Saturday 10:00 - 18:00

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

and

In theory, it's possible to request items not to be left on one's doorstep here if no one answers the door and signs for it. Some packages seem to get that treatment by default, e.g. the PS3 I ordered years back. Some areas seem to get that treatment by default by certain delivery services. That does not prevent the delivery person from sometimes ignoring those requests and leaving it on the doorstep regardless.

I know of more than one occasion at my workplace where the delivery guy signed for things themselves and just dropped it off if someone doesn't open the back door fast enough for them, which I'm pretty sure is very illegal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

And my local (read: only) post office hours are:

Monday 8:00am - 4:00pm
    Tuesday 8:00am - 4:00pm
    Wednesday 8:00am - 4:00pm
    Thursday 8:00am - 4:00pm
    Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm
    Saturday 9:00am - 11:00am
    Sunday Closed

It's not very convenient at all.

• Options

Here there's Canada Post locations in all sorts of drug stores and the like. Most are open like 9am-9pm.

If the package doesn't arrive at the door you gotta go to one of them the next day or within like ... 2 weeks I think. Might be longer. After that they will return-to-sender.

But you just show up with the slip and some ID and you are gtg.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Canada Post depot system is pretty great. They're all over the place and unless it's Christmas season in a large city, the lines are short to nonexistant.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I've only ever had good experiences with USPS. It's just inconvenient to go to the post office in person.

• Options
    Here in Norway FedEx and UPS are the problem. (They're mostly used by some foreign web stores.)

They'll leave your package sitting on top of your mailbox if you're not at home. If you buy stuff from abroad, and it costs more than 350 NOK ≈ 42 USD (including shipping) you have to pay 25% sales tax and a handling fee (this is by law, not FedEx/UPS policy). Problem is, FedEx/UPS charge when they aren't allowed to, overcharge, don't itemize the bill, and can't be reached by phone or email for complaints.

They're trash.

• Options
    Regardless of which delivery service that's problematic where you live, the main problem is that it's very difficult for the customer to vote with his wallet. It's the webstore that decides the delivery service, not the customer.

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Bad News: Nevada man attempts to walk out of Walmart with $800 in unpaid merchandise...

Gone Right:...during their annual Shop with a Sheriff event.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Phyphor wrote: »

What are the Westeros hours? Asking for a friend.

Harry Dresden on
This discussion has been closed.