Options

[WoW] Legion: Kingdoms are being burnt

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    World PVP to me has always been getting ganked by someone who out gears/skills me and then proceed to make my life miserable until I give up and go somewhere without them. It's why I never go on world pvp servers, not my thing at all.

I know I was one of the few, but I loved the world PVP objectives in BR.

Once they did away with that though, it really lost most of its joy. Now I only kill people who started it by killing an alt.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    So as someone who hasn't played since Cataclysm, would I be better off resubbing and playing through MoP and WoD content first? Or just buying Legion right off the bat?

Do you plan on leveling through or actually going through the content? Because leveling through should only take a day or two of solid playing.

Going through content for the purpose of leveling? I'd like to see the dungeons if there are good ones. I am pretty hype on the artifact weapon stuff you guys are talking about, though.

Edit: Actually, parallel question. If I just want to poke around to see if I even still like the game, are all the balance/graphical tweaks/changes to past zones part of the base game?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Friends. I have not played since WOTLK.

I'm playing now. If I wanted to level someone from 70 or 80. Is just basic questing still the way to go? I logged into my 80 and a quest chain took me underwater and I have no idea where I am. Or is there some super fast way to do it? (I've already spent my 100 boost on other dude)

Questing is the most consistent at that tier, yes. If you can get a dungeon group consistently (say you're a tank) it can be faster, but at that tier getting any group consistently is going to be...interesting. I would quest while keeping yourself in dungeons queues, that's probably the best of both worlds.

That underwater place is Vashj'ir and is mostly interesting because in many ways it's the template for what a zone in WoW became: A guided story experience.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I like vash as a zone, but I didn't like the outcome of the story/how bugged the final quest was/is.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    So as someone who hasn't played since Cataclysm, would I be better off resubbing and playing through MoP and WoD content first? Or just buying Legion right off the bat?

Do you plan on leveling through or actually going through the content? Because leveling through should only take a day or two of solid playing.

Going through content for the purpose of leveling? I'd like to see the dungeons if there are good ones. I am pretty hype on the artifact weapon stuff you guys are talking about, though.

Edit: Actually, parallel question. If I just want to poke around to see if I even still like the game, are all the balance/graphical tweaks/changes to past zones part of the base game?

Yes. The base game is effectively all previous content (WoD and earlier) + the 7.0 systems changes. Some of the 7.0 stuff you can't access without Legion obviously, but all the various class changes and stuff will be available to you. So you can go experience MoP and WoD content which is going to be the most like Legion in terms of structure and play style.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I would probably spam lfd queues while questing unless you really want the lore experience. Most people at that level will be in the same boat, I have had good luck levelling that way. Right now I am questing just because I havent done any questing from MOP on and wanted the story, but it seems slower.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    If you do intend to play for the story, I highly recommend the Storyline addon. It completely changed the way I view the story in this game.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    So, am I the only one who had a legit emotional reaction to the Azsuna questline with the
    Blue Dragonflight? Dragon girl finding her dead siblings, the mob of zombie elves surging over the cliffs, a redeemed bro I distrusted right up until his sad end, it had some moments.

Jim Cummings should voice a new character every expansion because holy crap does he always knock it out of the park.
    I enjoyed the reddit comment that describes the Runas questline as being a crack dealer for Winnie the Pooh :D

OH MY GOD I knew I recognized that voice! That is nuts.

Also that whole questline was so good.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I would probably spam lfd queues while questing unless you really want the lore experience. Most people at that level will be in the same boat, I have had good luck levelling that way. Right now I am questing just because I havent done any questing from MOP on and wanted the story, but it seems slower.

Do you think that my almost complete lack of experience playing since forever ago would be a huge detriment in the dungeons though? I'd hate to screw over a party cause not only do I not know the dungeons, but I barely know how to play my character.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    So, am I the only one who had a legit emotional reaction to the Azsuna questline with the
    Blue Dragonflight? Dragon girl finding her dead siblings, the mob of zombie elves surging over the cliffs, a redeemed bro I distrusted right up until his sad end, it had some moments.

Jim Cummings should voice a new character every expansion because holy crap does he always knock it out of the park.
    I enjoyed the reddit comment that describes the Runas questline as being a crack dealer for Winnie the Pooh :D

OH MY GOD I knew I recognized that voice! That is nuts.

Also that whole questline was so good.

Yeah I was pretty sure I recognized Loremaster Cho's voice in there and someone on reddit mentioned it was him so I was right about that. He really does such a good job

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

Do you think that my almost complete lack of experience playing since forever ago would be a huge detriment in the dungeons though? I'd hate to screw over a party cause not only do I not know the dungeons, but I barely know how to play my character.

That would put you on par with every LFG person I ever ran across...

I do like in a new expansion when idiot tanks want to run it like the old expansion. "Let me pull 6 packs, die, and then bitch at the healer for not keeping up."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Yeah (old) dungeons are relatively easy. A lot of players will have heirloom gear which basically outgears them for the dungeons. So you can probably get carried in that way.

Try checking the class guides at http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/ as well for a rundown on things like rotations, talent specs, etc. Though the guides are geared towards max level, it should still help a lot.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Even the new Legion dungeons on normal difficulty are pretty easy. They scale with level and the couple I ran last night I had zero issues tanking, even pulled at a pretty good clip.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Wait the dungeons scale too??? Can you do them all early on, or do they still open up based on level?

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    most of the dungeons say 98-110 if you look at the specific dungeon queue. A couple get unlocked around 105 I think too.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Only about 3/4 through Highmountain as my first zone, but I am super impressed. I've been in and out since the original open beta, and this is, by far, the smoothest release they've done yet. Also, the aesthetic really makes me feel like I'm back in WOTLK, which makes me super happy.

I'm also surprisingly intrigued by the new Disc, which is a spec I've always avoided. It's been really simple to level with (I never cared for shadow much and didn't want to gimp myself out of the gates picking a holy aritfact). I'm not sure how well I'll do with it at higher difficulty levels, but it's kinda cool so far!

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    I like how the druid artifact power trainer is a cute little tree that grows.

I like pretty much everything about the druid class hall.

It really is the best thing. I'm very happy I decided to main my druid this expansion.

[edit] Also, I'm totally fine with PvP servers and whatnot, but what I'm NOT fine with is how much it costs to move characters to different servers when PvP gets old. I signed up for a PvP server when the game first started, lo those many moons ago. It was a MUCH different beast then than it is now.

Now I have a full character roster on a PvP server and I really wish I didn't. I don't mind the odd bit of 1v1 PvP, but that is extremely rare these days. Mostly it's just jerk offs in groups of 3+ rolling over everyone. Opinions differ etc., but it's my fervent opinion that the more people you add to PvP in WoW, the worse it gets on an exponential level. It becomes less about knowledge of abilities and cooldown management (of both your own and your opponent's) and becomes a lot more about hurr durr training on one target.

Not very fun when you're the one target.

Once again, however, this is an opinion of one player. Though I respect your frustrations my point is those of us who run organized pvp events in world settings would be negatively affected by time-gated pvp interactions which would only be instituted to favor players who should have rolled a pve server if they don't like pvp.

I can tell you with certainty that time-gating pvp would result in more trolling than the current system yields. If every time the guilds on our server wanted to schedule pvp events we had to keep track of individual players' pvp cooldowns that would be chaos.

Also, it's too bad your wpvp interractions have been bad experiences. I can tell you that when pvp guilds set up events it's not a hot mess like solo-queue bg's

I'd say I've been around the block in this game starting at beta and moving to a pvp server when Gabe was pushing for Lt Commander. I've had some great pvp experiences in the world but they're few and far between, and I think that is the norm for most people. I'm really curious to see what an organized world pvp event is, because outside of organized raids to kill the faction leaders I've never seen any. Don't think I'm calling you out on this: I just have never seen or heard of anything like this in WoW in years. What I have seen is 3 to 5 man kill teams that will camp an area for a time, which can be a pretty fun experience for that group but rarely is for everyone else involved. The WoW Dev team is committed to making all aspects of the game easier to get into and more fun for a larger percentage of players, and I think World PvP is an area that can use the improvement. Certainly right now on Dark Iron it's a very tense and exciting experience to be outnumbered by horde players 8 to 1, but that quickly becomes overly frustrating and prompts server or faction changes, which makes the imbalance worse and degrades everyone's experience, even on the horde side.

Organized WPvP events are terrific. 20v20 zone raids and territory invasions are something a lot of guilds on our server commit to and they're a blast. The events are coordinated like end-game raids and are scheduled similarly.

Think of your world pvp experience like most pug raiders think of their pve experience. It's a mixed bag that's mostly bad with some good moments and a handul of great moments.

For guilds whose end-game is organized pvp they take the raids as seriously as pve guilds take end-game raid content.

I get that a lot of players don't like getting ganked or camped but there are those of us who don't look at that as a negative but rather an opportunity to gather our guildies and go have an hour of pvp.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Wait the dungeons scale too??? Can you do them all early on, or do they still open up based on level?

I ran the one with Xavius at the end (sorry I don't remember the name right off hand) at level 102. I just queued for it right after I finished the Val zone main quest path because it points you to the dungeon.

Seemed pretty simple and short to me. I prefer a more elaborate dungeon experience. I'm hoping the mechanics will matter a bit more when things get to Mythic level (and up). Though there was a good bit of fun with a bug. One of the bosses jumped up into the air and then decided that his people needed him, and we all watched as he beamed himself up and out of the dungeon.

He respawned a second later, so no big deal.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Kai_San wrote: »

The four "leveling dungeons" (aka ones attached to the ends of each zone) scale from 98 - 110.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Stupid question: is there any reason yet to move my Astral Recall to New Dalaran, instead of keeping it in MoP?

Dalaran has all the portals Shrine has except an old Dalaran portal, and it has a Shrine port if you need that. Switch, gives you two hearths.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I can't finish the Falling Star Questline...

Which sucks because it was getting interesting to me.

• Options
    Haven't had a chance to look at dungeons much yet. I ended up passing out really early yesterday cause I was super tired, and I misjudged my funds and lost my sub without enough for a token so I couldn't play today.

I will need to run a few dungeons then, to break up the questing.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I would be totally on board with changing world PvP but for one thing.

World PvP is essentially a set of content that a large number of people fool themselves into thinking they enjoy, when in reality their enjoyment is predicated on ruining the game for others. The number of legitimate, challenging, fair PvP battles that happen on a PvP server can be counted on the fingers of one hand. 99% of people will only fight when they have an overwhelming advantage anyway.

World PvP is largely a bunch of bullshit that people claim is enjoyable content when in reality 99% of their PvP encounters are either ganking lowbies or being ganked AS a lowbie.

If Blizzard could find a way to remove the ability to camp lowbies(while still allowing them to be killed once) that'd be a great change.

EXCEPT

The game has PvE servers. While I don't really believe that anybody truly enjoys all aspects of PvP servers, I'm willing to grant that I just lack a bit of empathy in this situation, and the fact is that there are other options for the people who don't like it.

If there were no PvE servers I'd be with the people clamoring but as it is I don't see a huge problem.

• Options
    Its one thing to have an opinion man, but don't state something like "they fool themselves into think" or something like that. It is really, really goosey.

People who like word PVP don't mind "losing". People who like word PVP don't find it a a waste of time. The "bad" fights are just significant challenges and often opens up much more to be proud about when you beat the odds. The number of "bad" fights is ACTUALLY what is exaggerated by most people who dislike PVP, but that is because they don't like losing (or being ganked or unwinnable fights or whatever it specifically is). So you focus more on that aspect and, in your minds, make it seem to happen much more than it does. Likely PVP focused people diminish it in their minds too, but its definitely nothing CLOSE to 99% of the fights.

The issue is that world pvp, by the very nature of the aspect of World in its title, does diminish in practicality as the world gets bigger. Especially in a game like wow where the other parts of the world are nearly invalidated for most players. In the past, the number of legit players in a zone far outweighed the number of max levels naturally. Now there are going to be SO few people in a leveling zone actually leveling due to the numerous better or more efficient ways to actually level, that even a few random max levels in the zone outweigh the number of legitimate people there. That ruins a lot of it. But when an expansion first hits, those new zones are going to be very full of fair PVP. And that PVP is not predicated on ruining peoples game time. If you get into a fight that actually plays out in a way both sides were into it, the losing side might get a little ragey but they actually very much enjoy it, and will ALWAYS come back for more.

The issue we have here is that, a lot of those people who were on the fence and joined their friends on PVP servers when the fair fights outweighed the unfair ones, are now over it because they don't see the positives as much anymore. Doesn't mean they are only 1% of the fights, but they ARE much less than usual.

• Options
    There is no beating the odds when a level 100 decides to camp you in Hillsbrad.

That's the only world PvP that I have an issue with, and I believe it's the majority of it.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

That's the only world PvP that I have an issue with, and I believe it's the majority of it.

This was typically my experience with world PvP. For every "this guy and I were questing in the same zone and killed each other back and forth for an hour, it was epic" there are 50 "this bored max level character camped my alt for a half hour before I finally had to log off or switch to my main to deal with him, which probably won't even be that satisfying."

I mean to each their own. I'm glad PvP servers exist for people who want that. I'll just never play on one again.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    Did all the druid artifact quests. All were awesome.

Also healed my first instance. Wasn't bad. I had heard some horror stories of the scaling tech not working right, but I had no issue keeping a lvl 107 tank up as a 103 druid.

Also, I thought they were supposed to auto switch your spec for you. Was that abandoned or did it just not work for me?

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    kriegs wrote: »
    Alright, so I haven't played this game since Cataclysm and was wondering about some things.

If I wanted to jump in on this thing now, would I need to buy all if the missing expansions before Legion as well? How would you level a new character all the way to 100 if you were missing those expansions?

Does this game still run pretty well on outdated PCs? My vid card is a Nvidia GTX 260 or something like that, 8 gigs of RAM. Intel quad core or something like that.

...asking for a friend.

@kriegs
    Looks like your question about expacs was answered already, but I didn't see anyone answer the bit about outdated PCs. My PC is about 6 years old, has 4 gigs of RAM, Intel i5-750, Radeon 5850 video card. I'm not getting 60 FPS except in older, depopulated zones, but the game runs well enough for me.I can't play with all the bells and whistles, obviously. Yours would likely be fine.

You can also play for free on any character up to level 20. You are restricted from a lot of chat functions if you're playing it that way, like no access to mail, the auction house, public chat channels, or the ability to form your own parties.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    My favourite pvp moment was a literal half hour fight between me and a prot paladin in wintergrasp.

I was also a prot paladin... We chased each other across the zone many times over, only stopping when the Wintergrasp event started. Sent him a letter on my alliance character thanking him for the fun fight.

So far, on my pvp server, people have been so focused on leveling, there hasn't been much in the way of world pvp. Hell, alliance people have emoted 'sorries' when they've accidentally hit me.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any good recommendations for UI mods? The classes that i played i have to look for a debuff on my target, or a buff on myself, and everything is so freakin' tiny that i can barely see them. I can't find any options in the default UI to help out but if one exists, that would also be helpful.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Is there an easy way to get back to your class hall thing? The Paladin one is a little out of the way.

Crayon on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any good recommendations for UI mods? The classes that i played i have to look for a debuff on my target, or a buff on myself, and everything is so freakin' tiny that i can barely see them. I can't find any options in the default UI to help out but if one exists, that would also be helpful.

Tidy Plates is a good replacement for the default nameplates and shows debuffs you've applied to targets.

Elkano's Buff Bars replaces the buff icons with lists of buffs/debuffs applied to your character, including the name of each one.

I use them both and am happy with it.

Additionally, you could try WeakAuras, which you can set up to let you know when a buff/debuff expires. It can be done for your targets too, but it seems to me that it's a little more complicated.

• Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Is there an easy way to get back to your class hall thing? The Paladin one is a little out of the way.

There's a portal in dalaran.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

In a roundabout way, I agreed with you believing that is the majority of it. But that opinion is just as biased as the very few people in this thread who think otherwise.

But opinions are opinions, and your deserves to be respected just as much as the dissenting one. Others opinions do NOT need to be referred to as "they fool themselves into thinking" though.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having problems with Battlenet thinking the game has a problem and doing lengthy scans to fix the problem? I'm pretty confused about what I could have done to corrupt the game files, but this is the second time, and the first time it didn't fix itself and I had to reinstall the game.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    You know, after the Exodar scenario...
    I'm thinking that Karazhan isn't the only old raid we're going to be heading back to. Let's go clean out Tempest Keep fully and finally, and have a fully-functional battle station to kick some Legion ass.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So apparently Stormrage and a few other relms are busted in that loading screens on login go to 90%, sit there a while, then dc you. Lovely.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Weird that Legion Dalaran still has all the old vendors.

Also, Legion apparently broke the Armory.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    The problem with world pvp is that the rule set hasn't substantially changed since like 1.4; meanwhile, the rest of the game has obviously evolved dramatically.

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    The first boss of Darkheart Thicket has extra dialogue if you've got a Druid healer in the group. Neat.

Works for any Druid.

This discussion has been closed.