As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:Heavensward] /dote on people with this year's Valentione Event!

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    As I've said several times before. The most optimal time wise is farm esos in Aetherchemical Research (~1100 esos) and get the full i220 set made. Heck, work a deal with me and I'll craft all of it with you providing me with around 1.5k worth in eso mats and that's it. No other materials or gil. 1.5k is 10 runs which may or may not totally bore you to death, which then leads to the matter of a weapon. To get into Aetherchemical you can use a i150 set which is very cheap/easy to have crafted.

Oh hey, I need to run that duty for MSQ... too bad I'm waiting on a phone call and can't actually pay attention to the game :P

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Speaking of gear, I finally finished the Guillotine of the Tyrant. With the addition of an augmented primal bracelet of fending, I'm now at i236 as a DRK, with about 27k HP.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'm kinda regretting working on the PLD relic. I mean, HW PLD is way more fun than ARR PLD but I dunno, there's something about the DRK that I really like. I will finish this one though because I really don't have the time/energy to work on a second relic.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I will point out that POTD 1-10 is 10 minutes and at 60 gives 20 esos/10 lore

120 esos/60 lore an hour makes it flat out better than aetherochemical AND you don't have to wait for queue times as a dps

ACF is not the most efficient by a long shot

Edit: also before anyone says it's not 10 minutes I have been blasting through 1-10 as a ninja reliably at 10-11 mins

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    also as an aside to that testing yourself on how fast your party can complete 1-10 is actually quite fun

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Aetherchemical is 150 per run. For 25-30 minutes per run. 300 esos an hour

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    + time spent waiting in the queue (average 10 minutes for a dps during prime time)

and you're not working towards a 235 weapon

and you're not getting lore

i mean if you just want your ilvl 200 eso gear or the inferior 220 crafted stuff (which honestly if you want 220, go do Midas) then ACF is probably the best

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I used the free 5 days to do some story stuff and vague HW stuff
    I wish they kept the scions dead and introduced new people. like maybe keep yshtola since she is top tier premium grade waifu material and people need their waifus but the rest can stay dead after watching them die. that still leaves the alphanoodle problem but maybe I can nudge him off a cliff when no one is looking

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I used the free 5 days to do some story stuff and vague HW stuff
    I wish they kept the scions dead and introduced new people. like maybe keep yshtola since she is top tier premium grade waifu material and people need their waifus but the rest can stay dead after watching them die. that still leaves the alphanoodle problem but maybe I can nudge him off a cliff when no one is looking

General HW Spoilers.
    Yeah, but Alphinaud really grows as a character through HW. Starts off a bit of a naive dingus, but he gets pretty ok by the end of the HW story.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    my judgement remains: DEATH!

• Options
    Crafted 220 isn't inferior. Several pieces are BiS before Weeping City came out if you didn't have access to Midas 3/4 Savage. And as far as unlocking ilvl requirements for all content, you cannot beat pushing the eso gear. Get Midas prototype gear? And spend how many hours trying to get a single token assuming of course you don't end up in a group that simply cannot do any of the mechanics wasting a huge chunk of time for absolutely nothing.

You want time efficient Lore? You're going to need the ilvls to unlock the roulettes and all the other content. You want some of the best i230 gear with some pieces better than i240 lore? You need the ilvls for Weeping City.

An i235 weapon means jack all if your ilvl is still hovering around the 190 range. You have to unlock the content

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I'm still leveling, but was a little disappointed the other day when...

(Level 47ish of MSQ Spoilers)
    They reveal that Thancred is Lahabrea (which was unexpected and I was actually going to go rewatch some old cutscenes to look for hints and such, except...), but then as soon as we get back to the Waking Sands Minifilia just goes "Oh, he got possessed by some dark crystal sometime after the last time you saw him, so you never really even interacted with him when he was secretly evil and we're totally going to fix his whole possession problem, so it's fine."

Plus, I had previously heard that Ascians had no physical form, but I thought I'd also heard they possessed dead bodies, so at the very least I was expecting Thancred to have turned out to have been dead for a while. But nope, Ascians can apparently just possess anyone, and it happened so recently that you never even really saw him undercover.

Granted, not all of that last part is the game's fault since I was misinformed about the possessing-the-dead thing, but it was still disappointing.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Lars wrote: »

They reveal that Thancred is Lahabrea (which was unexpected and I was actually going to go rewatch some old cutscenes to look for hints and such, except...), but then as soon as we get back to the Waking Sands Minifilia just goes "Oh, he got possessed by some dark crystal sometime after the last time you saw him, so you never really even interacted with him when he was secretly evil and we're totally going to fix his whole possession problem, so it's fine."

Plus, I had previously heard that Ascians had no physical form, but I thought I'd also heard they possessed dead bodies, so at the very least I was expecting Thancred to have turned out to have been dead for a while. But nope, Ascians can apparently just possess anyone, and it happened so recently that you never even really saw him undercover.

Granted, not all of that last part is the game's fault since I was misinformed about the possessing-the-dead thing, but it was still disappointing.

Clarifications
    Thancred was never Lahabrea "all along". It's just that Thancred's recent failures made him more susceptible to being influenced by the Ascians. He's really kicking himself over the near miss with Ifrit. It's more like he's being held hostage

Takel on
  • Options

Clarifications
    Thancred was never Lahabrea "all along". It's just that Thancred's recent failures made him more susceptible to being influenced by the Ascians. He's really kicking himself over the near miss with Ifrit. It's more like he's being held hostage
    Yeah, that was my complaint. They reveal that he's Lahabrea, but then two scenes later they reveal that he's only been Lahabrea for like five minutes, which I felt totally deflated that reveal.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Clarifications
    Yeah, that was my complaint. They reveal that he's Lahabrea, but then two scenes later they reveal that he's only been Lahabrea for like five minutes, which I felt totally deflated that reveal.
    Yeah, that's probably the worst paced part of the main story. I remember being like, "Why is this being downplayed so much?" And, as someone who never played 1.0, there was also "Am I supposed to care about these people outside of them being, essentially, my bosses?"

Thankfully, the game's story gets a lot better as it goes on, and the characters get, well, more character. They become more distinct as time goes on.

• Options
    I should be able to buy the 230 chest next week. I'll cap at 686 lore this week, so 1136 next week. 311 left over after buying the chest, which isn't a bad starting point for the legs. I *might* be fully decked out (~i225 or so) by the time 3.4 hits (235 Padjal Greatsword, but only a 215 second ring). I'd think that would be enough to get me through the story content without grinding again.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Cleared floors 31-40 yesterday with a group where one guy kept taking needless risks with chests. I told em to just wait for hp to regen before beelining it to a chest, but no one responded. Considering we completed the whole thing and got a bunch of levels on our gear it wasn't such a big deal, but I figured people would be more prudent about the whole rogue-lite system by now.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    My friend and I have been working our way slowly through PotD and we hit a pretty huge roadblock going to floor 31. We had been either at or at most a couple levels behind the mobs so far, though we were falling behind in arm/armor levels (going by wanting to be roughly half of our current level). We were character level 46 with arm/armor around 14 for each (we actually have two separate runs to try to help a bit with arm/armor). But going into level 31, the monsters were mostly lvls 50-52, and we got wiped by a level 52 mimic from a chest. So I guess our best best is to reset one of the runs and go for more arm/armor upgrades?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Did the mimic kill you by itself, or were there other mobs around because someone opened a chest in the middle of a fight? If the latter, seriously, stop it. Don't open chests while you're fighting. It's never worth the risk of an explosion dropping you to 10% HP while there's a fight going on to 'save' 2 seconds after a fight.

And why are you consistently behind the monster level curve? You may need to just straight up grind some levels since character levels make a huge difference. First it affects accuracy. If you're missing, your combos and sequences are going to be totally messed up. And secondly, access to level 50+ abilities is a significant increase in effectiveness.

Takel on
  • Options
    Did the mimic kill you by itself, or were there other mobs around because someone opened a chest in the middle of a fight? If the latter, seriously, stop it. Don't open chests while you're fighting. It's never worth the risk of an explosion dropping you to 10% HP while there's a fight going on to 'save' 2 seconds after a fight.

And why are you consistently behind the monster level curve? You may need to just straight up grind some levels since character levels make a huge difference. First it affects accuracy. If you're missing, your combos and sequences are going to be totally messed up. And secondly, access to level 50+ abilities is a significant increase in effectiveness.

The mimic wiped us all by itself, since it was 6 levels above us and I couldn't put enough arrows into it before it killed my friend and then came after me. :(

As for behind the level curve, well I just thought it seemed like that was the general pace of things that at the beginning of a set of 10 floors, we were a bit behind in levels, but we tended to catch up by the end of the set of 10 floors. We tend to basically clear out a level of monsters, then move down to the next, we never purposely stuck around to grind, but I guess we could have? We were kind of following the guidelines from this thread that its not worth grinding out levels if you're keeping up the monster levels as is. I'm not sure if there is a way to grind levels where we were at because we'd probably run into time issues getting down to level 40.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    It's just a bit odd because while it's ok to be a little behind at the start of a new tier, you shouldn't be 6+ levels out. Typically you'll want to be 49-50 at minimum going into floors 31-40 and ideally, close to 60 when you hit 41-50 so you can speed through that part as the mob HP scales a lot faster than your damage does.

Also, are you trying to duo the place? If you are, then everything about not being worth grinding levels goes out the window. You're not killing a +6 mob without access to your level 50 abilities at that point. Rain of Death is your friend. It's effectively +10% to hit.

Takel on
  • Options
    It's just a bit odd because while it's ok to be a little behind at the start of a new tier, you shouldn't be 6+ levels out. Typically you'll want to be 49-50 at minimum going into floors 31-40 and ideally, close to 60 when you hit 41-50 so you can speed through that part as the mob HP scales a lot faster than your damage does.

Also, are you trying to duo the place? If you are, then everything about not being worth grinding levels goes out the window. You're not killing a +6 mob without access to your level 50 abilities at that point. Rain of Death is your friend. It's effectively +10% to hit.

Yes we are duoing, sorry for not being more precise about that, but it is just my friend (Dark Knight) and I (Archer). Does arm/armor not mean that much then? We figured that since we are only in the mid-teens (14-16, iirc) with the arms/armor buffs that was a big part of the problem. I think we'll have to stay and get a few more levels on floors 11-20 then, since floors 21-30 were a bit tight on time (I think we had like 2 mins to spare on both runs through those floors). If we spend a bit more time on 11-20, that should hopefully open up some more time on 21-30 to gain a few more levels there.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    You just got unlucky. Mimics tend to spawn at a higher level than other monsters, and if you get a mimic on the first floor of a set, it can really fuck you up. I wouldn't use mimics as a judge of whether or not you're behind the curve.

From what I've observed, the pattern is that each set of floors is broken up into 123/456/789/10, and the monster levels are fairly consistent within the brackets. So floor 31 you should be a little weaker than the enemies (and it's why a mimic can ruin your day since it's higher even than the average), floor 32 should be about even, and floor 33 should be a little easier. Then on 34 the enemy level range goes up, resetting the pattern.

This assumes you're killing most of the enemies you see, and checking every room. If you beeline for the exit and dodge rooms you might come in underleveled. If you kill every enemy in every room, you'll probably come out slightly ahead.

• Options
    Also, I was wondering that since my "real" archer level is only in the 20's, and thus can't equip the bard soulstone, am I going to be held back because I don't have the bard's skills, or have I been getting the bard's skills all along and not realized it?

• Options
    No, you won't get the skills. Furthermore, if you take a break from PotD to go get the soulstone, you'll have to either continue as an Archer or reset to floor 1 as a Bard.

• Options
    Also, I was wondering that since my "real" archer level is only in the 20's, and thus can't equip the bard soulstone, am I going to be held back because I don't have the bard's skills, or have I been getting the bard's skills all along and not realized it?

Youre missing out on a lot of skills then. Do you have enough useful crossclass skills to compensate?

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

Youre missing out on a lot of skills then. Do you have enough useful crossclass skills to compensate?

Well, I've kind of been the dps/support in the group, since my friend mostly has mostly just played Dragoon outside of PotD, so I've been bringing rez/protect/stoneskin. Though now that I think about it, maybe I should bring Eye for an Eye or virus instead. I've also been bringing bloodbath, but I'm not really getting hit enough to make that really worth it, I think.

• Options
    I find it's beneficial to clear every room 1-20. It goes fast and leaves you in the low-to-mid 30s for floors 21-30. Then, clear chest rooms and whatever aggros you for floors 21-40. You'll likely hit level 60 somewhere around floor 35-38. From there, do your best ninja impression and only kill when absolutely necessary.

Also, PUGs aren't terrible. Most people know what they're doing know. And you can always leave or vote to kick those that don't.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

Well, I've kind of been the dps/support in the group, since my friend mostly has mostly just played Dragoon outside of PotD, so I've been bringing rez/protect/stoneskin. Though now that I think about it, maybe I should bring Eye for an Eye or virus instead. I've also been bringing bloodbath, but I'm not really getting hit enough to make that really worth it, I think.

Oh that's good, that's a good load-out I think. I was in a group with an archer yesterday and their support through crossclass skills was OK. I assume you already have Invigorate and Featherfoot?

• Options
    I've started unlocking all the level 50 Hard Mode dungeons and trials.

Are they actually significantly harder, or are they just retuned for level 50? (ie. is it still safe to keep using the Duty Finder, or will players start turning hostile to new people?). Or is the fact that most of the people running these are level-scaled 60s going to make them fairly trivial? (like when I ran Cape Westwind and the boss died in like 15 seconds)

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I've started unlocking all the level 50 Hard Mode dungeons and trials.

Are they actually significantly harder, or are they just retuned for level 50? (ie. is it still safe to keep using the Duty Finder, or will players start turning hostile to new people?). Or is the fact that most of the people running these are level-scaled 60s going to make them fairly trivial? (like when I ran Cape Westwind and the boss died in like 15 seconds)

The bolded. Definitely.

Definitely yeah.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    50 stuff is easy cause everyone is getting their gear's item level synced down to 110-130 depending on the dungeon. Stuff won't melt like in Westwind cause the dungeons are balanced around a higher item level but just about any gear from Heavensward means you are going to be synced down to the highest item level the game will allow so your average group is going to be way over geared for it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Hey all, finally booted this game I got ages ago in the sale.

Just started playing and I'm enjoying it so far. I played FFXIV online before it changed to Realm Reborn so it looks familiar but plays so much better.

Have joined the same server and so far got a lvl 11 pugilist. Any handy beginners advice would be appreciated and also be happy to join the clan.

• Options
    Hey all, finally booted this game I got ages ago in the sale.

Just started playing and I'm enjoying it so far. I played FFXIV online before it changed to Realm Reborn so it looks familiar but plays so much better.

Have joined the same server and so far got a lvl 11 pugilist. Any handy beginners advice would be appreciated and also be happy to join the clan.
    Mostly just enjoy the world youre in and follow whatever routes, quests or interesting stuff you bump into. You cant do anything wrong.

Some tips that are also in every beginners guide, but that I personally consider useful:

Keep an eye out for quest icons with a +, those unlock features, skills or dungeons.
    Kill mobs that are in your Hunting Log, theyre worth a lot of exp.
    Do the Novice trial thing for a super decent set of armor, Im sure you cant miss the quest, but it is kind of a boring set of short exercises, so keep at it.
    Later on you will get your chocobo and can take her into battle. Dont underestimate her usefulness, even at level 1 she kicks a serious punch and can offtank a second mob that might aggro. My Twisty has saved my butt dozens of times.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info, hope the chocobo quest isn't like FFXII. That was a pain.

• Options
    Re: 50 hard mode dungeons.

And you know what? People still fuck up on certain dungeons due to mechanics. Amdapor City comes to mind.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hell, I have botched that dungeon before. It is getting so that there are so many of them I can't remember what the mechanics were on one I hadn't done in months.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, hope the chocobo quest isn't like FFXII. That was a pain.

It is super simple, the chocobo is like your starter mount in other MMOs.

• Options
    Re: 50 hard mode dungeons.

And you know what? People still fuck up on certain dungeons due to mechanics. Amdapor City comes to mind.

I call bullshit. I'm 100% certain that 50 Roulette contains a single dungeon, and that is Wanderer's Palace HM.

• Options
    Lol @Delzhand while I was working on my relic I would've agreed. Lately I've been getting wonky dungeons like Hullbreaker Isle, Pharos Sirius and Lost City.

Btw, for alt purposes, what's better for leveling? POTD or Roulettes? I really should level my White Mage...

This discussion has been closed.