Options

Presidential Election 2016! (NO posting Onion or other satirical articles)

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/05/opinion/campaign-stops/i-ran-the-cia-now-im-endorsing-hillary-clinton.html
    I Ran the C.I.A. Now I’m Endorsing Hillary Clinton.
    By MICHAEL J. MORELL
    AUG. 5, 2016
    President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia was a career intelligence officer, trained to identify vulnerabilities in an individual and to exploit them. That is exactly what he did early in the primaries. Mr. Putin played upon Mr. Trump’s vulnerabilities by complimenting him. He responded just as Mr. Putin had calculated.

Mr. Putin is a great leader, Mr. Trump says, ignoring that he has killed and jailed journalists and political opponents, has invaded two of his neighbors and is driving his economy to ruin. Mr. Trump has also taken policy positions consistent with Russian, not American, interests — endorsing Russian espionage against the United States, supporting Russia’s annexation of Crimea and giving a green light to a possible Russian invasion of the Baltic States.

In the intelligence business, we would say that Mr. Putin had recruited Mr. Trump as an unwitting agent of the Russian Federation.
    In fact, many Muslim Americans play critical roles in protecting our country, including the man, whom I cannot identify, who ran the C.I.A.’s Counterterrorism Center for nearly a decade and who I believe is most responsible for keeping America safe since the Sept. 11 attacks.
    So far the only response I know of is for Pence to blame Morell for the issues in Syria. Morell has criticized the Obama administrations for its handling of ISIS so it isn't the greatest argument.
    august wrote: »
    He also suggested that the interviewer, a woman, might be qualified.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/trump-declines-to-name-women-hed-put-in-his-cabinet-besides
    SAVAGE: …who you would actually put into office as one of your first female, in your cabinet?”

TRUMP: Well, we have so many different ones to choose. I can tell you everybody would say, “Put Ivanka in, put Ivanka in,” you know that, right? She’s very popular, she’s done very well, and you know Ivanka very well. But there really are so many that are really talented people — like you, you’re so talented, but I don’t know if your viewers know that.

SAVAGE: Is this breaking news? Am I gonna be in the cabinet?

TRUMP: But Angelia is — she is very talented.

SAVAGE: Is that a yes?

TRUMP: Sounds like it to me.

SAVAGE: We’re looking good. Awesome.
    Kind of creepy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

That... That's not how you choose...

*sigh* Forget it.

at least he wasn't basing it on her looks i guess. though i imagine he does think that's a large part of why she's popular so i guess he is.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
  • Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Ivanka was one of about three women whose name Trump actually knew.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/05/opinion/campaign-stops/i-ran-the-cia-now-im-endorsing-hillary-clinton.html
    By MICHAEL J. MORELL
    AUG. 5, 2016
    President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia was a career intelligence officer, trained to identify vulnerabilities in an individual and to exploit them. That is exactly what he did early in the primaries. Mr. Putin played upon Mr. Trump’s vulnerabilities by complimenting him. He responded just as Mr. Putin had calculated.

Mr. Putin is a great leader, Mr. Trump says, ignoring that he has killed and jailed journalists and political opponents, has invaded two of his neighbors and is driving his economy to ruin. Mr. Trump has also taken policy positions consistent with Russian, not American, interests — endorsing Russian espionage against the United States, supporting Russia’s annexation of Crimea and giving a green light to a possible Russian invasion of the Baltic States.

In the intelligence business, we would say that Mr. Putin had recruited Mr. Trump as an unwitting agent of the Russian Federation.
    In fact, many Muslim Americans play critical roles in protecting our country, including the man, whom I cannot identify, who ran the C.I.A.’s Counterterrorism Center for nearly a decade and who I believe is most responsible for keeping America safe since the Sept. 11 attacks.
    So far the only response I know of is for Pence to blame Morell for the issues in Syria. Morell has criticized the Obama administrations for its handling of ISIS so it isn't the greatest argument.
    SAVAGE: …who you would actually put into office as one of your first female, in your cabinet?”

TRUMP: Well, we have so many different ones to choose. I can tell you everybody would say, “Put Ivanka in, put Ivanka in,” you know that, right? She’s very popular, she’s done very well, and you know Ivanka very well. But there really are so many that are really talented people — like you, you’re so talented, but I don’t know if your viewers know that.

Kind of creepy.

This is how dirty older creeper guys that own a strip club try to pick up women. Christ.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Nate Silver projects Clinton to lead by 5-7% on polling day.

That should make me happy, but how the fuck is a successful, competent senator and former Secretary of State able to lead Donald fucking Trump by only 5-7%? How the hell is it possible that so many Americans prefer to elect someone who is clearly an unhinged idiot in the pocket of a foreign nation? Not even one of the nice foreign nations! Fucking RUSSIA of all places! I'm lost.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So many different ones to choose. Like, that woman over there. She looks smart. She's in.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Did he do that economic team on purpose so when someone asks him a question he could say "talk to Steve about that"? Did he just word salad doctrine some human beings?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

That should make me happy, but how the fuck is a successful, competent senator and former Secretary of State able to lead Donald fucking Trump by only 5-7%? How the hell is it possible that so many Americans prefer to elect someone who is clearly an unhinged idiot in the pocket of a foreign nation? Not even one of the nice foreign nations! Fucking RUSSIA of all places! I'm lost.

I blame the increased prevalence of the idea that someone who isn't a "politician" per se would be ideal for the job.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Roughly 45% of the country is conditioned to vote R regardless of the actual candidate, their positions or their actions.

A similar percentage has been fed a steady diet of "Hillary Clinton is the anti-christ" for decades.

There is strong but not universal crossover with these two groups.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Asharad wrote: »

Along with the Keyser Soze-esque naming of a woman who was in his eyeline as another possible candidate

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Roughly 45% of the country is conditioned to vote R regardless of the actual candidate, their positions or their actions.

A similar percentage has been fed a steady diet of "Hillary Clinton is the anti-christ" for decades.

and that fact that most Republicans currently in office are refusing to denounce Trump only reinforces that conditioning.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    I have a feeling this site is actually hosted by Tim Kaine.

i can't stop clicking... send help!!

THIS CLICKHOLE... IT WAS MADE FOR ME!

Ugh.
    Weeaboos for Trump!

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I never understood what the hell the Italians were doing electing Sylvio Berlusconi. There are more than a few Italians living here, and they never knew what the hell they were doing electing Sylvio Berlusconi. They were crushingly embarrassed about it. They would wince at his name. He was treated as a joke by pretty much everyone else in Europe.

Sylvio Berlusconi was at worst a corrupt politician in bed with the mafia and delighting in using his status to sleep with pretty young women.

Sylvio Berlusconi didn't have access to nukes.

Sylvio Berlusconi didn't call for the deportation of all Muslims in Italy.

Sylvio Berlusconi never advocated fucking war crimes on international television.

How the fuck is this even happening?!

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Couscous wrote: »
    By MICHAEL J. MORELL
    AUG. 5, 2016

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/trump-declines-to-name-women-hed-put-in-his-cabinet-besides

Kind of creepy.

I never saw her bring politics into the Situation Room. In fact, I saw the opposite. When some wanted to delay the Bin Laden raid by one day because the White House Correspondents Dinner might be disrupted, she said, “Screw the White House Correspondents Dinner.”

Mention of the correspondents dinner reminds me, Obama had just signed off on the order to enact the mission right before he did that speech. Favrau his speechwriter says originally there was a joke written in the speech about finding Bin Ladin which Obama had quietly nixed, just saying "that ones been done to death", it was only when the news came out he put two and two together.

e; also, she didn't say "screw"
    But there was a problem with the thirtieth. Someone mentioned that Saturday, April 30, was the night of the annual White House Correspondents' Association dinner - where the president was expected to speak. How would it look, they asked, if the president was at a black-tie dinner joking around with a bunch of reporters in the beautiful Hilton Hotel ballroom in Washington, D.C., while a group of Americans were dying on a failed mission in Pakistan? Secretary of State Hillary Clinton shot down that concern with a well-placed response. "Fuck the White House Correspondents' dinner," she said. "Heaven help us if we ever make an important operational decision like this based on some political event."

Jeedan on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Also, Trump unveils his economic team. Women, minorities, economists underrepresented; Steves overrepresented:

Peter Navarro is an academic economist who is a professor at the University of California, Irvine, but it is overall a "populist, anti-"rigged" system candidate fills econ advisory team w Wall Streeters/investors" thing.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I never understood what the hell the Italians were doing electing Sylvio Berlusconi. There are more than a few Italians living here, and they never knew what the hell they were doing electing Sylvio Berlusconi. They were crushingly embarrassed about it. They would wince at his name. He was treated as a joke by pretty much everyone else in Europe.

Sylvio Berlusconi was at worst a corrupt politician in bed with the mafia and delighting in using his status to sleep with pretty young women.

Sylvio Berlusconi didn't have access to nukes.

Sylvio Berlusconi didn't call for the deportation of all Muslims in Italy.

Sylvio Berlusconi never advocated fucking war crimes on international television.

How the fuck is this even happening?!
    American Exceptionalism

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016

Because like 90% of both parties are ride or die types. And like a little more than half of that group don't even pay attention to the daily ins and outs of politics. We do not have an engaged populace.

Edit: for fucks sake one candidate is mostly known for reality TV and has a shitty one liner everyone knows. Like...we did that as a country.

Crayon on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Apparently Trump Jr is in Yellowknife today on a hunting trip with his son.

I mean, not that it's really relevant to the election, but this is my home.

Your election isn't supposed to be anyone near my home.

What endangered species are they murdering today

• Options

I blame the increased prevalence of the idea that someone who isn't a "politician" per se would be ideal for the job.

Yeah, if there's one thing the rise of Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders has shown, it's that a very broad segment of society are fed up with "the establishment" and are desperate for someone who doesn't play "the political game" to get elected and "shake the system."

Provided said rebel is a retirement age white guy, of course.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Asharad wrote: »

Along with the Keyser Soze-esque naming of a woman who was in his eyeline as another possible candidate

It's either that or go with the traditional republican response of "all of them".

• Options
    There's more excuse for Berlosconi since he pretty much owned then entirety of the media in Italy

• Options
    edited August 2016

Yeah, if there's one thing the rise of Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders has shown, it's that a very broad segment of society are fed up with "the establishment" and are desperate for someone who doesn't play "the political game" to get elected and "shake the system."

Well I don't think that phenomenon necessarily extends to Bernie Sanders. It's hard to think of people who have been political/part of the established system more than Sanders. The guy sponsored a bipartisan veterans bill. Bernie Sanders is a politician through and through, regardless of how talented you think he is at it.

Experience is valued on the Democratic side of things, whereas the right wing noise machine has been screeching about how the best government is that which governs least and how the only people who can fix the system have to come from outside it for quite some time now. The only surprising thing is how conservatives are surprised that the people started believing them about it.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

I guess America is broken? The Iraq disaster and economy imploding right before the election only gave Obama a 7-point lead. 7% is the new landslide.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Aye, Romney's 47% speech wasn't wrong for either side of the aisle, he just expressed it like an elitist goose, but at the end of the day any president is going to get no praise, help, or input from about 45% of voters and maybe 30% of the population as a whole. The good politicians remember that they represent the people chanting "lock her up" along with the people chanting "Yes we can," which is where Romney erred. The inspiring politicians promise to fight for the people who voted against them just as hard as the people who voted for them.

• Options
    Crayon wrote: »

Because like 90% of both parties are ride or die types. And like a little more than half of that group don't even pay attention to the daily ins and outs of politics. We do not have an engaged populace.

Edit: for fucks sake one candidate is mostly known for reality TV and has a shitty one liner everyone knows. Like...we did that as a country.

Look I have no problem with celebrities throwing themselves into politics, even if Reagan was a nightmare and even if we in Ireland had Eurovision-Winner-Turned-Right-Wing-Televangelist Dana try to get herself elected President of the Republic of Ireland. I still draw the line at a guy who can ADVOCATE WAR CRIMES ON TV and come out more or less unscathed.

What the fuck do we do when the next guy hides his crazy until after he gets in?!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Ice Road Truckers...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

What endangered species are they intending to murder while in the area?

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

The GOP.

• Options
    What are they hunting this time of year anyway

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

What endangered species are they intending to murder while in the area?

beat'd

• Options
    Well hello there.

RepublicansForHer2016.com

Not a particularly good website, but at least it's there.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The Clinton campaign is using their app to ask people for their top issues. Here's the selection list:
    - Addiction and substance use
    - Autism
    - Campaign finance reform
    - Campus sexual assault
    - Climate change
    - Criminal justice reform
    - Disability rights
    - Early childhood education
    - Fixing America's infrastructure
    - Gun violence prevention
    - Health care
    - HIV and AIDS
    - Immigration reform
    - K-12 education
    - Labor and workers' rights
    - LGBT rights and equality
    - Making college affordable and taking on student debt
    - Manufacturing
    - National security
    - Paid family leave
    - Protecting animals and wildlife
    - Racial justice
    - Raising incomes and fighting inequality
    - Rural communities
    - Seeking a cure for Alzheimer's disease
    - Small business
    - Social Security and Medicare
    - Veterans, the armed forces, and their families
    - Voting rights
    - Wall Street reform
    - Women's rights
    - Workforce skills and job training

Which ones do you pick?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

The most dangerous game of all

Politicians

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Ice Road Truckers...

on ce of our most valuable resources

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

That's actually a super good question. Let me see what I can find.

• Options
    The Clinton campaign is using their app to ask people for their top issues. Here's the selection list:
    - Addiction and substance use
    - Autism
    - Campaign finance reform
    - Campus sexual assault
    - Climate change
    - Criminal justice reform
    - Disability rights
    - Early childhood education
    - Fixing America's infrastructure
    - Gun violence prevention
    - Health care
    - HIV and AIDS
    - Immigration reform
    - K-12 education
    - Labor and workers' rights
    - LGBT rights and equality
    - Making college affordable and taking on student debt
    - Manufacturing
    - National security
    - Paid family leave
    - Protecting animals and wildlife
    - Racial justice
    - Raising incomes and fighting inequality
    - Rural communities
    - Seeking a cure for Alzheimer's disease
    - Small business
    - Social Security and Medicare
    - Veterans, the armed forces, and their families
    - Voting rights
    - Wall Street reform
    - Women's rights
    - Workforce skills and job training

Which ones do you pick?

Can I pick "SCOTUS (All of the above)"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

Well I don't think that phenomenon necessarily extends to Bernie Sanders. It's hard to think of people who have been political/part of the established system more than Sanders. The guy sponsored a bipartisan veterans bill. Bernie Sanders is a politician through and through, regardless of how talented you think he is at it.

Experience is valued on the Democratic side of things, whereas the right wing noise machine has been screeching about how the best government is that which governs least and how the only people who can fix the system have to come from outside it for quite some time now. The only surprising thing is how conservatives are surprised that the people started believing them about it.

Sure, but he ran using his independent outsider status as a big part of his image.

Of course, just being an outsider want enough for Trump to win, just like it wasn't enough for Sanders. Trump had to have a big messy field and some flagrant racism too.

shryke on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Oh, I misread - the article said he was a noted hunter, but he's here camping with his son, not hunting.

This discussion has been closed.