Options

Presidential Election 2016! (NO posting Onion or other satirical articles)

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Cantide wrote: »
    Remember the talk when Trump first entered the race, how it was just a marketing thing to build up his brand? Well, about that...

Turns out running as a crazy Republican when a lot of your businesses are in blue states was maybe not the smartest decision.

So it's par for the course for Trump business decisions then?

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling this site is actually hosted by Tim Kaine.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Manafort did an interview.
    The line about Obama apologizing to the world doesn't really work when Trump has said we can't criticize Turkey because of how things are in the USA right now and criticized the term "American exceptionalism" as being rude to other countries.

It feels like delegitimizing the elections happens earlier and by higher up people every presidential election cycle.

Already trying to pretend it wasn't really a mistake despite Trump's point being that there was a video that Iran made in Iran showing the transfer of money and intentionally leaked to embarrass the USA. I am guessing that is much more likely to be the talking point they use than "oops, he made himself look like a moron."

Couscous on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So Trump admits he lied about seeing that Iran cash video now.

His defense appears to be that he saw a different video and was mistaken about what was happening in it. So instead of being a liar, he is now claiming that he is incompetent and unable to have even a basic understanding of what is going on.

I'm not sure that's better.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

His defense appears to be that he saw a different video and was mistaken about what was happening in it. So instead of being a liar, he is now claiming that he is incompetent and unable to have even a basic understanding of what is going on.

That's the thing about white collar ethics: It's better to admit you totally screwed up and are really incompetent at your job than to admit malfeasance.

Ideally both should get you canned, but we are far from the ideal.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Remember the talk when Trump first entered the race, how it was just a marketing thing to build up his brand? Well, about that...

Turns out running as a crazy Republican when a lot of your businesses are in blue states was maybe not the smartest decision.

I believe we thought that before 'Mexican Rapists'.

After that, NBC told him to get stuffed.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Manafort did an interview.
    The line about Obama apologizing to the world doesn't really work when Trump has said we can't criticize Turkey because of how things are in the USA right now and criticized the term "American exceptionalism" as being rude to other countries.

It feels like delegitimizing the elections happens earlier and by higher up people every presidential election cycle.

Already trying to pretend it wasn't really a mistake despite Trump's point being that there was a video that Iran made in Iran showing the transfer of money and intentionally leaked to embarrass the USA. I am guessing that is much more likely to be the talking point they use than "oops, he made himself look like a moron."

I want to design a microchip that can be implanted in Republicans' brains. The purpose of this chip is to electrocute them anytime they try to make the (thoroughly debunked) claim that Obama went on a worldwide apology tour. Nothing lethal, just a little painful zap that discourages them from repeating it.

• Options

Hillary: "I don't judge, I report, you decide."

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    I think he's still just trying to do the "echo Bernie" thing. I don't think anyone on the GOP side was really claiming rigging before now and even the birther delegitimization efforts were considered fringe.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

That's the thing about white collar ethics: It's better to admit you totally screwed up and are really incompetent at your job than to admit malfeasance.

This is true. If you take a 800 dollar kickback from a vendor that costs the company an extra 2k it is considered way worst than making a bad call and having it cost the company 15k. In fact coming clean sometimes works in your favor as the company views you as more trustworthy for admitting the fuck up. Sr Management. We get rewarded even if we do a shitty job.

• Options
    edited August 2016

It's just amusing to me how so many politicians, when given the option of Team Evil or Team Stupid, opt for the latter pretty much every time.

You know what a lying evil liar person with no qualms about lying would do? That exact thing.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular

This is uncomfortably reminiscent of Trump's "something's going on with that" nonsense. "Insinuation" is not a good word.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    PantsB wrote: »
    I think he's still just trying to do the "echo Bernie" thing. I don't think anyone on the GOP side was really claiming rigging before now and even the birther delegitimization efforts were considered fringe.

The complaints were always about voter fraud. In service of limiting access, of course. But nobody in any real position of authority ever serious attempted to push a 'rigged' narrative.

I think the closest was voting machines made by companies with open associations with republicans giving squirrelly results.

But a concerted, organised effort at fixing an election? On a national scale? Nobody's ever tried that before.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm not super happy about that ad. I believe Trump is a useful idiot for Putin, that he is lying about no Russian investment in his projects and a dangerous moron about Ukraine and NATO, but I don't believe there is a grand strategy there.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Well good. I hope his businesses go belly-up as a result of his mismanagement, and he goes bankrupt. And then the Russians can come call in his debt.

sig.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Ahh Politico.

Insiders to Trump: DROP OUT!
    “I’d rather take our chances with nearly anyone else than continue with this certain loser who will likely cost the Senate and much more,” said a New Hampshire Republican — who, like all respondents, completed the survey anonymously.

Between Politico, CNN, WashPo, NYT, and MSNBC and a few other major outlets the coverage of Trump has been delicious this week.
    “I also wish I could lose 20 pounds, cut 5 shots off my handicap and play the piano,” a New Hampshire Republican added. “None of those things will happen, and neither will Trump drop out.”

hehehehe

Obvously, they need Mr. Meeseeks

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

This is uncomfortably reminiscent of Trump's "something's going on with that" nonsense. "Insinuation" is not a good word.

I agree. Not a fan of piecing together a bunch of circumstantial evidence and then inviting people to create their own truth. Most of the things in that video are terrible enough on their own merit, we don't need to stoop to conspiracy theory.

If there IS something between Trump and Putin, let the journalists/security agencies find the smoking gun. Until then, in this country, we still believe in "Innocent until Proven Guilty".

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

fucking ouch

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Hmm. Do I strike that one from the website? I've never seen him issue a correction or apology before.

There's no protocol for this!

Can you have it show both tweets together and 90s style big flashing "ONE OF THESE THINGS IS NOT LIKE THE OTHERS" or such?

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

So it's par for the course for Trump business decisions then?

It worked for him 4 years ago. Think of Trump like a mangy possum. He sneaks in through an open screen door/threatens to run for president. He makes off with some moldy bread/says some stupid shit that people on that side love. He scurries off into the night with no one the wiser/he scurries off into the night with no one the wiser.

Emboldened by his previous success, the possum returns to the scene of the crime/Trump threatens to run for president again. Only this time, the homeowners walk in on him shoveling rotten garbage in his mouth/he called Mexicans rapists on TV. The homeowner freaked the fuck out and chased him into a corner with a broom/liberals got a ton of his partners, like NBC, to stop doing business with him. With nowhere left to run, the hoary old possum leaps at the homeowners face, scaring the ever loving shit out of them/Trump stops threatening to run and commits to run.

Hopefully this story will end the same way my last run in with a possum ended. The home owners shit their pants a little, but the possum sees an opening and scurries out the door, leaving the home owner feeling unsafe/Trump hisses and snarls a bunch, we all shit our pants a little, then he runs away leaving us all feeling unsafe.

• Options
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not super happy about that ad. I believe Trump is a useful idiot for Putin, that he is lying about no Russian investment in his projects and a dangerous moron about Ukraine and NATO, but I don't believe there is a grand strategy there.

The thing is, his staff modified the GOP Ukraine plank, which was the major push they made on the party platform.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

i can't stop clicking... send help!!

• Options
    Also, Trump unveils his economic team. Women, minorities, economists underrepresented; Steves overrepresented:

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Keep in mind how many businesses Trump had deals with who ran the fuck away within weeks of his campaign started...

This really isn't a surprise. And if Trump keeps kicking reporters off his plane income at his properties campaign stops is just going to continue to go down...

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

THIS CLICKHOLE... IT WAS MADE FOR ME!

• Options
    Also, Trump unveils his economic team. Women, minorities, economists underrepresented; Steves overrepresented:

this is obviously a great day for all Steves everywhere. a terrible day for pretty much everyone else.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

The thing is, his staff modified the GOP Ukraine plank, which was the major push they made on the party platform.

And then Manafort lied about it and Trump said his people did it but he himself had nothing to do with what his people did.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Welcome to the rocky campaign filled with horror show, erotibot!

I sort of caught up last night but I kinda skimmed through a chunk of pages at 3am so I really need to go back and read this thread again and sort out which bits were real and which were a fever dream.

Tbh how would you tell

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

this is obviously a great day for all Steves everywhere. a terrible day for pretty much everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnE2QvCvNh0

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular

And then Manafort lied about it and Trump said his people did it but he himself had nothing to do with what his people did.

Which is why I wouldn't put that ad in the same league as Trump's "I'm just saying" bullshit. Trump's bull is usually made up whole cloth and easily disproven. The Trump-Russia connection is stuff Trump and company have either lied about or dodged completely.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    I dunno if anybody has posted this, but it's pretty nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgNP3g1Lwss

Omg President Obama jamming to Eminem pregame?

That's it I'm done.

Got a little bit choked up watching that.

My initial forecast, back whenever this crazy campaign began, was that the only person who can defeat Hillary Clinton is herself.

And, my god. Did you see that logo at the end? They fixed the logo!

lxalwr6te1hq.png

I see now it's probably accidental, but shaving the point of the arrow into a curved edge really looks like a stronger decision choice to me.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

THIS CLICKHOLE... IT WAS MADE FOR ME!

I don't get it. The page does nothing. Is is broke in my browser?

*edit* NVM, three refreshes later is starts working.

Houn on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Hey @SeñorAmor remember when your boss was so concerned about Obama saying I and Me so much in his convention speech

Try this one on for size:
    When, in the summer of 1999, he stood up to offer remarks at his father’s funeral, Trump spoke mainly about himself. It was the toughest day of his own life, Trump began. He went on to talk about Fred Trump’s greatest achievement: raising a brilliant and renowned son. As Gwenda Blair writes in her three-generation biography of the Trump family, The Trumps, “the first-person singular pronouns, the I and me and my, eclipsed the he and his. Where others spoke of their memories of Fred Trump, [Donald] spoke of Fred Trump’s endorsement.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/the-mind-of-donald-trump/480771/

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    august wrote: »

thank god, i'm so sick of all these nerds getting to run things with their experience and expertise.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

And then later denied they had done it although nobody else but them had any desire to touch the GOP ukraine Plank.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

That... That's not how you choose...

*sigh* Forget it.

• Options
    Seriously I can't get over Trump's alleged defense of his "I totes saw that video" comments.

When I tell my kids to clean their bedroom and I go check to see if they've done it, occasionally they will claim that it is still messy because they "don't know how" to clean it. I know that's a lie, but it's galling that they would try to get out of trouble by pretending to be so inept that something which should be fundamentally and painfully elementary escapes them.

There are still consequences for this sort of behavior! They do not get off scot-free because they are pretending to be incapable. And they are children. Trump wants to have the most important job in the world. Being substandard to this degree should completely disqualify him in the public eye, because even if he's telling the truth (he is not), it betrays his extreme lack of even minimal adequacy.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Apparently Trump Jr is in Yellowknife today on a hunting trip with his son.

I mean, not that it's really relevant to the election, but this is my home.

Your election isn't supposed to be anyone near my home.

This discussion has been closed.