Options

US Presidential Elections: an exclusive look at the Trump intervention

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    http://electionlawblog.org/?p=85289

So remember that whole "sending people to the polls to monitor them in PA" thing?

The RNC is explicitly banned from doing that in Pennsylvania because of a ruling from 1982 where they were performing voter intimidation there. The RNC appealed to the Supreme Court in 2013, and it was declined to be heard. It expires in December, 2017.

Trump's suggesting acting in violation of the decree, which means the DNC can appeal to add another 8 years to the ruling.

So Trump may be causing the RNC to be explicitly blocked from monitoring poll stations in Pennsylvania for the next two Presidential Elections.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

So remember that whole "sending people to the polls to monitor them in PA" thing?

The RNC is explicitly banned from doing that in Pennsylvania because of a ruling from 1982 where they were performing voter intimidation there. The RNC appealed to the Supreme Court in 2013, and it was declined to be heard. It expires in December, 2017.

Trump's suggesting acting in violation of the decree, which means the DNC can appeal to add another 8 years to the ruling.

So Trump may be causing the RNC to be explicitly blocked from monitoring poll stations in Pennsylvania for the next two Presidential Elections.

Which would look like the DNC manipulating the vote. If there's any way to legally allow them to do it provided they don't intimidate voters, I'd support that.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Which would look like the DNC manipulating the vote. If there's any way to legally allow them to do it provided they don't intimidate voters, I'd support that.

The last time this went around was in 2008 and I'm sure you didn't hear about it then. Just like you won't hear about it in 2017 when it goes to the Supreme Court of PA if they violate the terms.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    trumpsteaks3-640x530.png

Well, that certainly looks unappetizing.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Did they not cook those steaks and just hit them with a branding iron? I can't even be sure that those ARE steaks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They're the color of Pork Chops

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    trumpsteaks3-640x530.png

Well, that certainly looks unappetizing.

Well done.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Ahaha, the second Google link for Trump steaks: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/hey-trump-wheres-the-beef-trump-steaks-are-so-rare-we-cant-even-find-one/2016/03/22/175b682a-ebc3-11e5-bc08-3e03a5b41910_story.html
    Long thought to be extinct, like dinosaurs or the passenger pigeon, Trump Steaks are alive and well at some of the real estate mogul’s properties. So indicated the GOP front-runner at a news conference March 8, when Donald Trump pointed a finger at a gorgeous pile of vacuum-sealed meats and declared them “Trump Steaks.”

Journalists quickly discovered that those particular Trump Steaks were impostors. The beautifully marbled cuts actually had been bought from a reputable south Florida meat company for the members-only restaurant at Trump National Golf Club in Jupiter, Fla., where the news conference was held. Reporters could plainly see the Bush Brothers Provisions Co. logo printed on the packages.

Even WaPo's fucking Food section always gotta be having it in for Trump!

hippofant on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So many questions about this:
    1. Why does the box look like it should be storing a slide projector.
    2. Why do the steaks look like they have tumors?
    3. What part of what animal did those pieces of meat come from? Because that sure as hell doesn't look like any cut of beef I've ever been served.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Oh my god I can't stop reading about Trump steaks now. Send help.

Edit: QVC still has old reviews of them up! http://www.qvc.com/Trump-Steaks-(16)-6oz-Certified-Angus-Beef-Steakburgers.product.M15809.html

hippofant on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So many questions about this:
    1. Why does the box look like it should be storing a slide projector.
    2. Why do the steaks look like they have tumors?
    3. What part of what animal did those pieces of meat come from? Because that sure as hell doesn't look like any cut of beef I've ever been served.

3. The best part.

Source: Many people.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    They look like perfectly good pork chops!

If they are steaks though that is a problem.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Edit: QVC still has old reviews of them up! http://www.qvc.com/Trump-Steaks-(16)-6oz-Certified-Angus-Beef-Steakburgers.product.M15809.html

Why, exactly, do they appear to have trademarked certified Angus beef?
    Isn't that just a common breed of beef cattle?
    Actually, no. Let's not go down this rabbit hole.

Is there any business Trump has been part of that was not just him branding something else? I mean, did he actually develop real estate at some point, or was that just him slapping his name on other development, and for some unaccountable reason being able to charge for that?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Antoshka wrote: »

Is there any business Trump has been part of that was not just him branding something else? I mean, did he actually develop real estate at some point, or was that just him slapping his name on other development, and for some unaccountable reason being able to charge for that?

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED! (https://thinkprogress.org/a-definitive-history-of-trump-steaks-e0e6fc31b689)
    Certified Angus, [Mark Schatzker, author of Steak and The Dorito Effect] explained, refers primarily to the fact that a cow must be 51 percent black hided — that is, 51 percent of a cow’s fur has to be black. That’s because most Angus cattle are black, and that gives certifiers an easy way to quickly weed out cattle that probably don’t have any Angus genes in them. But there are a few problems with that thinking, Schatzker explained.

“Other cattle, besides Angus, are black,” he said. “It’s a little bit like saying that if a car is 51 percent red it’s a certified Ferrari.”

And not all Angus are black. There’s a breed of Angus known as Red Angus that, Schatzker says, some beef purists think is actually of a higher quality than Black Angus — but Red Angus don’t qualify to be Certified Angus.

The meat from a Certified Angus cow also has to exhibit modest or higher marbling (fat), as well as fine marbling texture. It also has to come from young cows — between 9–30 months old. That’s a problem, Schatzker says, because young cows tend to have less flavor — think of the way that a mild veal tastes compared to a steak.

USDA Prime, a certification given by the USDA, also focuses largely on marbling.

“Like the Angus certification, it’s based on the idea that you can tell how a steak is going to taste by looking at it,” he said. “You can’t.”

Trump Steaks’ 100-percent grain finish also probably didn’t help boost their quality, according to Schatzker. Livestock operators will often finish a cow on grain to fatten them quickly before slaughter. It’s a technique that helps create a more marbled beef, but trades quick fattening for deep flavors.

“If you compare a lightly-marbled grass fed steak to a highly-marbled grain fed steak, the marbling is in no way an indicator of flavor or eating quality,” he said. According to Schatzer, grain-fed beef might be juicier, or have more fat, but it tends to give off a greasy mouthfeel that he finds unappealing.

hippofant on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Maurice Lamarche is getting in on these now!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    You know, it's pretty common knowledge that there's a floor to how many votes you'll get as a nominee. 40% would vote for a mouldering potato, blah blah blah.

What gets me isn't the number of people who would vote for Trump over Clinton. What gets me is the number of people who approve of Trump. Like, 30% of the country is looking at Trump, at his meltdowns, his casual racism, his complete ineptitude, his inability to assemble a coherent sentence, his explicit threats, and they're saying, "Yeah, I'm pretty okay with this."

I mean, there's being forced into a Sophie's choice, and then there's "Hey, can I work the gas room?"

...Whether or not that would surprise me would depend on the geographic regions that the support mostly comes from. If certain cohorts of the population are still hanging their heads in shame that their representatives gave up the good fight when they lowered the confederate battle standards and put them under glass, it's hardly a wonder that they'd be enthusiastic about a campaign like Trump's.

If it's like 30% support even in Los Angeles / New York City / San Diego, then yeah, I'd be perplexed.
    San Diego is pretty darn conservative. But that said, the gold star attack probably didn't do him any favors here.

I mentioned San Diego because of that; I thought to throw Houston on the list for the same reason, but only after I posted.

I'd only be shocked about the 30% figure only if it was not disproportionately from those scattered parts of the U.S. that are still holding down the fort and waiting for Civil War Round 2. A few percentage points in cities here or there from Libertarian idiots and/or people who think the SC seat is totally worth it, guys, no really!, and then the rest of that 30% approval rating from communities that salute old Confederate war hero statues as part of their daily commute, probably driving on pavement that covers-up what used to be acre upon acre of plantation land.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

I'M GLAD YOU ASKED! (https://thinkprogress.org/a-definitive-history-of-trump-steaks-e0e6fc31b689)
    Certified Angus, [Mark Schatzker, author of Steak and The Dorito Effect] explained, refers primarily to the fact that a cow must be 51 percent black hided — that is, 51 percent of a cow’s fur has to be black. That’s because most Angus cattle are black, and that gives certifiers an easy way to quickly weed out cattle that probably don’t have any Angus genes in them. But there are a few problems with that thinking, Schatzker explained.

“Other cattle, besides Angus, are black,” he said. “It’s a little bit like saying that if a car is 51 percent red it’s a certified Ferrari.”

And not all Angus are black. There’s a breed of Angus known as Red Angus that, Schatzker says, some beef purists think is actually of a higher quality than Black Angus — but Red Angus don’t qualify to be Certified Angus.

The meat from a Certified Angus cow also has to exhibit modest or higher marbling (fat), as well as fine marbling texture. It also has to come from young cows — between 9–30 months old. That’s a problem, Schatzker says, because young cows tend to have less flavor — think of the way that a mild veal tastes compared to a steak.

USDA Prime, a certification given by the USDA, also focuses largely on marbling.

“Like the Angus certification, it’s based on the idea that you can tell how a steak is going to taste by looking at it,” he said. “You can’t.”

Trump Steaks’ 100-percent grain finish also probably didn’t help boost their quality, according to Schatzker. Livestock operators will often finish a cow on grain to fatten them quickly before slaughter. It’s a technique that helps create a more marbled beef, but trades quick fattening for deep flavors.

“If you compare a lightly-marbled grass fed steak to a highly-marbled grain fed steak, the marbling is in no way an indicator of flavor or eating quality,” he said. According to Schatzer, grain-fed beef might be juicier, or have more fat, but it tends to give off a greasy mouthfeel that he finds unappealing.

So in short certified Angus means, this is probably pretty mediocre meat, but at least the cow's fur was mostly black?

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Elki wrote: »
    Talka wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    How is that in any way related to the election?

It's gossip column stuff and every time you people quote it I have to see it again.

His kids (except Tiffany) are the only chief aides we're pretty sure he listens to, and Ivanka is the least batshit of the three of them. Her leaving the campaign means that things might get more unstable.

It's not that Trump's daughter is on vacation (who cares), it's that Trump's daughter is on vacation taking pictures with Putin's girlfriend.

I'm not a fan of gossip column stuff, but that counts as relevant in an election where Trump's ties to Russia have been questioned repeatedly.

Putin's girlfriend according to Us Weekly. Would you believe a negative story about Clinton sourced to Us Weekly?

Deng and Putin's been something reported on for a while now.

No, it is not. It is something that has been regurgitated for a while, with virtually every subsequent story being based on the Us story. That is a quite generous definition of reporting.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    tynic wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Talka wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    How is that in any way related to the election?

It's gossip column stuff and every time you people quote it I have to see it again.

His kids (except Tiffany) are the only chief aides we're pretty sure he listens to, and Ivanka is the least batshit of the three of them. Her leaving the campaign means that things might get more unstable.

It's not that Trump's daughter is on vacation (who cares), it's that Trump's daughter is on vacation taking pictures with Putin's girlfriend.

I'm not a fan of gossip column stuff, but that counts as relevant in an election where Trump's ties to Russia have been questioned repeatedly.

Putin's girlfriend according to Us Weekly. Would you believe a negative story about Clinton sourced to Us Weekly?

If Wendy Deng actually went from Murdoch to Putin, she's displaying a remarkably adept asshole homing radar. We could point her at the stars and discover a whole race of alien fuckwads.

And don't forget Tony Blair. That's quite the trio, if true.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    In a normal situation you could argue that Ivanka is just being very politically savvy and making friends in the right places, but because of the ties the Trumps and their high level staff have to Putin it comes off as yet another suspicious draw on the conspiracy camel's back.

The real news here is Ivanka is taking a vacation less than three months before the election

She's throwing the towel already

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Gator wrote: »
    In a normal situation you could argue that Ivanka is just being very politically savvy and making friends in the right places, but because of the ties the Trumps and their high level staff have to Putin it comes off as yet another suspicious draw on the conspiracy camel's back.

The real news here is Ivanka is taking a vacation less than three months before the election

...I'm extremely skeptical of that story, partly because the source is garbo & the headline is the worst sort of rag-snatching trash, partly for this exact reason:

I just can't see Ivanka ditching her father's campaign like that. It's clear enough to me that she loves her dad a lot - enough, even, to put up with things like him grabbing at her ass in public, or being embarrassed after having been instructed to read a plagiarized speech. And... now she just bails to hang out with a burnt-out media mogul? Coincidentally, one that progressives itching for some dirt would love to bang on about, even above the already raucous circus show?

Sorry, but that smells awful funny to me.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Bill Clinton talked to Loretta Lynch for 5 minutes and that was in the news for days.

This had better get traction.

this is gonna sound like I care more than I do but I believe it was a half hour conversation I am quite sure

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Ahaha, the second Google link for Trump steaks: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/hey-trump-wheres-the-beef-trump-steaks-are-so-rare-we-cant-even-find-one/2016/03/22/175b682a-ebc3-11e5-bc08-3e03a5b41910_story.html
    Long thought to be extinct, like dinosaurs or the passenger pigeon, Trump Steaks are alive and well at some of the real estate mogul’s properties. So indicated the GOP front-runner at a news conference March 8, when Donald Trump pointed a finger at a gorgeous pile of vacuum-sealed meats and declared them “Trump Steaks.”

Journalists quickly discovered that those particular Trump Steaks were impostors. The beautifully marbled cuts actually had been bought from a reputable south Florida meat company for the members-only restaurant at Trump National Golf Club in Jupiter, Fla., where the news conference was held. Reporters could plainly see the Bush Brothers Provisions Co. logo printed on the packages.

Even WaPo's fucking Food section always gotta be having it in for Trump!

well, he felt like they were Trump steaks so they were trump steaks

(recent wapo article cited a court case where his own feelings were a large part of how he estimated his net worth. and by explaining the joke surely I've made this a better post)

edit - haha I scrolled back up to check... of course The World's Greatest Steaks is in QUOTES!!!!!!! so Trump.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

That's what I was going to post. Who the hell, as a major play in a presidential election campaign, vacations in August?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

...these posts don't contradict each other?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    i think he meant they are supposed to follow eachother up, but somehow the second one got tweeted 12 hours later, robbing it of most context.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular

That's what I was going to post. Who the hell, as a major play in a presidential election campaign, vacations in August?

When they have a 4 month old kid that they apparently need a break from?

Seems like they learned their dad's parenting techniques, at least.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

So in short certified Angus means, this is probably pretty mediocre meat, but at least the cow's fur was mostly black?

One of my favourite bits of regulation trivia is that the requirements for a Gouda cheese are:

It is a cheese
    It contains at least 48% fat
    It is round

Those are the sole requirements
    You can just about get any cheese qualified as Gouda

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trump is having a war on terror speech soon.

http://townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2016/08/14/trump-would-stop-issuing-visas-if-screenings-were-inadequate-n2204942
    Trump is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the country that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. Through questionnaires, searching social media, interviewing friends and family or other means, applicants would be vetted to see whether they support American values like tolerance and pluralism.

The candidate is also expected to call in the speech for declaring in explicit terms that, like during the Cold War, the nation is in an ideological conflict with radical Islam.
    People who would not pass that test and whose supporters would mostly fail should not throw likely poorly thought out immigration tests or something.

Breitbart has been commissioning polls from Gravis because it is mad about the liberal bias in mainstream polls. That makes this pretty funny:
    http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/08/14/breitbartgravis-poll-hillary-clinton-leads-donald-trump-42-to-37/
    Democratic nominee Hillary R. Clinton leads in a four-way contest with 42 percent of the vote, compared to Donald J. Trump with 37 percent, Libertarian Gary Johnson with 9 percent, and 3 percent for Green Party nominee Dr. Jill Stein, according to a Breitbart/Gravis national poll conducted Aug. 9 with 2,832 likely voters.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Trump is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the Presidency that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. Through questionnaires, searching social media, interviewing friends and family or other means, applicants would be vetted to see whether they support American values like tolerance and pluralism.
    If the bolded change was made, would he have a hope in hell?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Question one of the Presidential Literacy test: Draw a line around your veto of Obamacare

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    There's no way he's going to seriously suggest "searching social media" as part of a test for entry into the country, right?

Right?

Please?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    Trump is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the Presidency that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. Through questionnaires, searching social media, interviewing friends and family or other means, applicants would be vetted to see whether they support American values like tolerance and pluralism.
    If the bolded change was made, would he have a hope in hell?

It really feels like he'd need a constitutional change to make such a thing stick

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Only worry now is that Manafort leaves and someone very good takes over.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »

Wasn't Manafort meant to be the very good person after Lewandowski left?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

...just

what

• Options
    I expect the tolerance section to be critical of your intolerance of voter fraud initiatives

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump is having a war on terror speech soon.

http://townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2016/08/14/trump-would-stop-issuing-visas-if-screenings-were-inadequate-n2204942
    Trump is also expected to propose creating a new, ideological test for admission to the country that would assess a candidate's stances on issues like religious freedom, gender equality and gay rights. Through questionnaires, searching social media, interviewing friends and family or other means, applicants would be vetted to see whether they support American values like tolerance and pluralism.

The candidate is also expected to call in the speech for declaring in explicit terms that, like during the Cold War, the nation is in an ideological conflict with radical Islam.
    People who would not pass that test and whose supporters would mostly fail should not throw likely poorly thought out immigration tests or something.

Question 1: Would you vote for Donald Trump who wants to enact religious discrimination into law, embraces misogyny and supports conversion therapy for homosexuals?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

...I'm extremely skeptical of that story, partly because the source is garbo & the headline is the worst sort of rag-snatching trash, partly for this exact reason:

I just can't see Ivanka ditching her father's campaign like that. It's clear enough to me that she loves her dad a lot - enough, even, to put up with things like him grabbing at her ass in public, or being embarrassed after having been instructed to read a plagiarized speech. And... now she just bails to hang out with a burnt-out media mogul? Coincidentally, one that progressives itching for some dirt would love to bang on about, even above the already raucous circus show?

Sorry, but that smells awful funny to me.

Just a correction here -- that was Melania, not Ivanka.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »

Doesn't matter how good the campaign manager is if the candidate ignores them.

This discussion has been closed.