Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Spherick wrote: »
    So I am looking at building a new PC for some gaming action. I'm not looking to build a monster and I am OK with medium settings at 1080p. Since I will be paying $200 for a monitor/windows - is $500 for the rest doable?

For the whole thing? Case + PSU + etc?

I have an old case I can use, along with a CD-ROM, along with a monitor/KBAM. So $500 would be everything else.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    So I am looking at building a new PC for some gaming action. I'm not looking to build a monster and I am OK with medium settings at 1080p. Since I will be paying $200 for a monitor/windows - is $500 for the rest doable?

I have an old case I can use, along with a CD-ROM, along with a monitor/KBAM. So $500 would be everything else.

It's certainly doable. Does the case include a power supply? If not it may get a little hairy and you'll have to bargain shop around. What games are you looking to play on Medium? Any/all of them?

• Options
    Old case does have a PSU, but not sure how good it is (at least 6 years old). Would rather grab a new one. Looking mainly to run Fallout 4, Wolfenstein New World, Doom, etc.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Here's a first pass, but with a few comments:

1. I put in a 1TB HDD because for your budget, you'd be looking at a 120GB SSD and that's barely going to be enough room for the three games you mentioned and Windows. A lot of people on this thread are probably going to fight me on that. If you can save an extra few bucks down the road for an upgrade, go with the SSD for now, and add the HDD for more storage when you have the money.
    2. I dropped to the beefiest RX 460 I could find to stay under budget. If you can afford to go an extra few dollars over the $500, it would definitely be worth the upgrade to the RX 470 (or even the 480) in terms of keeping you running on Medium settings at 60FPS for the next few years. These cards had some pretty big sales a few weeks back, but it seems like those sales are over. Looks like there's still some mail-in-rebates though.
    3. You didn't mention what size your case was. I went with a mATX card but if the case is ITX or has a proprietary size (like a prebuilt Dell, for example) then it may not fit.

• Options
    I believe it is a full-size ATX case. I will take a look at the list. Thanks for your input!

• Options
  • Options
    Which is basically what @Terrendos came up with. Though I used a GTX 950 (based on the site above). You can find the updated one (that wasn't on pc part picker's site) here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127937

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular

i5s are $200, and 1060 6gb are $250. If you recycle your power supply (honestly I see no reason not to, I'm using an Antec 430 from nearly a decade ago), all you need is GPU+CPU+Mobo+RAM, assuming you're using an old hard drive.

i5-6400 $185
    EVGA 1060 $255
    MSI H110M $45
    1x8gb ddr4 $35
    Total $520

Your other possible needs are a CPU heatsink, HDD/SSD, and a PSU. I would personally reuse the PSU if at all possible, then reuse your HDD if possible. SSDs are great and all, but it's going to eat up your budget while also not solving your storage issues. Later on you can get another 8gb stick and you'll be pretty golden.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So for Christmas I ended up getting the GTX 1060 6GB card. Upgraded from a GTX 770 4GB card. The thing is a monster! I put Gears of War 4 on Ultra settings using the 770 and I got around 45FPS average. With the 1060 I get 60 average. Today I am getting an additional 16GB of RAM (Corsair Vengeance Pro) and will install my SSD. I am so excited!

Ha, I did this exact same upgrade. It's not earth-shaking, but it is noticeable, especially since I play at 1440p.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

It's certainly doable. Does the case include a power supply? If not it may get a little hairy and you'll have to bargain shop around. What games are you looking to play on Medium? Any/all of them?

Here's a good start. I think there's an updated version of this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZR-a35sxLg

here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcrotHUVFN0

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    So for Christmas I ended up getting the GTX 1060 6GB card. Upgraded from a GTX 770 4GB card. The thing is a monster! I put Gears of War 4 on Ultra settings using the 770 and I got around 45FPS average. With the 1060 I get 60 average. Today I am getting an additional 16GB of RAM (Corsair Vengeance Pro) and will install my SSD. I am so excited!

Ha, I did this exact same upgrade. It's not earth-shaking, but it is noticeable, especially since I play at 1440p.

I really, really wanted to jump to the 1070... But since it was a Christmas gift I couldn't justify a family member paying that much more for it.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Hrmmm

I think this is why my computer wont post/boot/whatever

Thats a bent pin just to the right of the middle at the bottom of the socket, yes? I don't think its anything I did or at least I dont remember dropping anything into the socket like that, should I try to fix it or just return it?

ASDnEPbh.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I had the same thing happen when I built my computer in September. I talked with EVGA's customer service and they said I could try fixing it or just RMA it. I chose to RMA it and have an entirely new motherboard.

I wrote about it back when it happened, and it's a really disheartening thing to have happen. In my 20 years of building computers I've never had anything like it happen before. It wasn't until the third full rebuild of a brand new computer that I figured out I had a bent pin. I'll never know if I accidentally bent the pin when putting the CPU in the socket (even though I was extremely careful) or the motherboard came that way. However, don't dwell on stuff like that. Shit happens and return it as a broken item.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    AMD Ryzen Processors can possibly OC to 5 GHz On Air

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-processors-reach-5-ghz-on-air.html

Man I really hope AMD shakes things up.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    This computer has been cursed

First my processor was stolen

Then the case arrived without screws for the mobo

Now this, good lord. I guess Ill try and return it.

*edit
    Well, ok Amazon. They are already sending me a new one. That was easy :O

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That's okay. There's plenty of room on the Console Bandwagon!

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    If your processor was stolen from your porch, Amazon will replace it. They'll replace pretty much anything for any reason.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Actually the amazon box arrived fine and undamaged

The little plastic window on the back of the intel/product box was ripped open and the only thing remaining inside was the manual.

Amazon started an investigation, then three days later said the courier 'may have lost it the item' and then refunded me. Which I take to mean, yeah it seems like something hinky happened but we won't actually say it was stolen. Already got a new one. But its just been one thing after another lol

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    fixing bent pins is an age old tradition, but fixing CPU pins is a pain in the ass and unless you feel super comfortable doing it I'd recommend against it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Build thread! Help me out! I'm about to install a second SSD, are there any danger points I need to consider or do I just plug one end into the motherboard and one end into the wall?

Joking! Joking! I know how to plug it in, any chances I'll fuck anything else up or should it be plug and play?

• Options
    should be plug and play for the most part

you're not doing a fresh install right?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If you just want another ssd for more space it's plug and play. Plug one end into the motherboard and the other into the power supply. It's an ssd so you can stick it wherever you want; they're not exactly fragile.

If you want to use it as your primary drive I recommend unplugging all of your other drives first, installing windows with just the ssd attached, and then plugging your old drives in once it's booting into the finished windows install. I would also format your old system disk so the old windows install isn't still floating around all bootable like.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Not a primary drive at all, just space for games. My 250gb still ticks along fine, I'd just like it to be a windows drive and nothing else (and be able to install more than one game at a time. Thanks for setting my mind at ease!

Tube on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    If it's just a secondary drive than the only thing you may have to do after plugging it in is go to computer management and assign it a drive letter.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Maybe needs to be partitioned or formatted at the worst.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Well, I blew out my power supply

Tube on
  • Options
    What? How?

• Options
    #tubebuilds

• Options
    Not blown out, but it won't start. This power supply should easily be able to handle a second ssd surely?

Corsair rm750

• Options
    I think it's safe to say you didn't do anything wrong (unless you're sticking a fork into your molex connectors or something). If an ssd pulling current was enough to tip things over the edge there was already something wrong with the psu.

• Options
    Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU? Is it plugged in? Stupid question, I know, but it's worth checking all those things. Are all the modular cables secured? Is the 24 pin secured to the MB? Did you accidentally unseat the connector for the power switch?

• Options
    yeah they're stupidly lower power compared to platter drives

that is some shit luck

• Options
    It didn't come with cables, so I took two from the cable box. It's possible they're to blame?

If I plug the old SSD into the same slot it works fine, so it's not a mysterious bad slot on the PSU. If I unplug the old SSD and plug the new one in, it still shorts, which indicates to me that it's not a power problem? I don't know, SATA cables seem pretty robust. Maybe it's a duff SSD.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    It didn't come with cables, so I took two from the cable box. It's possible they're to blame?

If I plug the old SSD into the same slot it works fine, so it's not a mysterious bad slot on the PSU. If I unplug the old SSD and plug the new one in, it still shorts, which indicates to me that it's not a power problem? I don't know, SATA cables seem pretty robust. Maybe it's a duff SSD.

When you plug the new ssd in without the old one, are you using the old ssd's cables? If you are not, try using the old cables that we know work. If it works with the old cables and motherboard sata connection then it's probably either the cables or the sata socket and we can go from there. If it doesn't work at all then it's probably the SSD.

• Options
    also pictures help

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It could absolutely be a bad SSD--I've seen my share.

You may've already done this, but do you have any way to test it with another PC--hopefully in a noninvasive manner, like a USB cable/enclosure?

• Options
    Switching the cables let's it power on, so presumably ssd is fine and cable or sata slot is the problem

• Options
    You can swap the cable to the 'bad' one but use the same slot to see what happens. Narrow it down to the slot or the cable. Do you have another sata cable lying around?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, with my wife's encouragement, I'm going to try building a new desktop PC to update my existing one. Right now, I've started with the case - a Corsair Carbide Spec-02, which I got for about half off through Amazon. I'm planning on maxing out the fans in the case:

* The rear unlit 120mm fan will be moved to the bottom intake slot.
    * The front 120mm red LED fan will go to the rear exhaust.
    * I have 2 120mm blue LED fans on order - these will go in the top exhaust.
    * Finally, I will be ordering 2 blue 140mm fans for the front intake.

Is this a good configuration for the airflow? Anything I should look out for?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Well I did a stupid thing and long story short it's the sata power cable. I unplugged it without powering off and the computer immediately sprung to life. Time to haul off in the snow and buy a sata cable I guess.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.