Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Lorek wrote: »
    So with the GTX TI announcement and regular 10xx cards going down in price, I am hoping this thread can help me out with a video card upgrade suggestion. Here's the setup on my current rig:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard
    Core i5-4670K CPU
    16GB DDR3 Ram
    GTX 770 video card
    256 SSD HDD

The Man has been very generous with my tax rebate this year so now I have cash to spare and that GTX 770 is really starting to show its age. I play hooked up to my TV and I don't have any plans for a 4K one anytime soon, so I'll never need more than 1080p resolution. But I do want to future proof through this new era of PS4Pro / Scorpio games. For instance, Mass Effect is already using a GTX 1060 for recommended specs. So the question: which of these fancy 10xx video cards should be enough for me to run 1080 / 60 fps with all the bells and whistles on any new PC ports coming out for this generation? Is there anything else up there that's going to bottleneck me that I need to watch out for?

That ME:A Recommended spec is probably a bit extreme. That said, it calls for the 3GB 1060, which shares a name and little else with the 6GB 1060.

Basically you have 3 options. The 6GB 1060 is great for 1080p max settings gaming with DX11. The AMD RX 480 is cheaper and slightly worse at DX11 games, but will handle DX12 games better, and that will be the new standard... eventually.

Option 3 is to go for a 1070, which is overkill, but will guarantee smooth 1080p gaming for longer thanks to its better performance. Personally, I'd go with the 480 and be happy for a few years, then upgrade the whole shebang when the processor starts to show its age.

EDIT: Oh, and you can also wait for Vega GPUs if you want. That would be Option 4.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I don't know flavors of GTX 1080 but I'm thinknig of buying one. Are any of them on Amazon Prime offering the For Honor deal? Which ones are good to upgrade from the 980?

These are my specs:
    intel core i5 3750k @ 3.40 Ghz
    8BG Ram
    Windows 7 64 bit

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Any of them will be a good upgrade from a 980. I would wait for the price drop to go in to effect (if it hasn't started already) and then pick up one with a non-blower cooler and possibly a light factory OC. Brand is almost irrelevant. I tend to use Gigabyte, some people swear by EVGA, but frankly they are all basically regressing to the mean at this point.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

35% in one generation is pretty amazing. But... the real question: is it fast enough to get over 60FPS at 4K with max-ish quality running just one card? I know there aren't benchmarks yet, but I'm curious if 1080Ti has the theoretical potential to reach the 4K Promised Land.

I have a 980Ti right now that I run at 1440P and it doesn't seem like it's worth it to upgrade unless the 1080Ti gets me equivalent performance at 4K.

• Options
    I have a 980 Ti on a 1440p screen, and there are games coming out right now that are starting to put strain on that card. Wildlands for instance is <60 at Ultra 1440p. Even without 4k the 1080 Ti should be well over a 50% upgrade over a 980 Ti and give a lot more headroom at 1440p.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I have a 980 Ti on a 1440p screen, and there are games coming out right now that are starting to put strain on that card. Wildlands for instance is <60 at Ultra 1440p. Even without 4k the 1080 Ti should be well over a 50% upgrade over a 980 Ti and give a lot more headroom at 1440p.

I think that until there's a game that will take my 980Ti to under 30FPS at 1440p, I'll probably be OK with gsync keeping things smooth. It feels like we're in a transition moment right now. Both GPUs and 4K displays are almost but not quite able to match the 1440p generation in frame rate. I really would like to make my 980 last till there's 4K/144Hz displays and GPUs that can keep them going at 60+. So... time to wait on benchmarks for the 1080Ti and Vega (though I seriously doubt Vega will be an FPS contender vs. the 1080Ti)..

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Lorek wrote: »
    So with the GTX TI announcement and regular 10xx cards going down in price, I am hoping this thread can help me out with a video card upgrade suggestion. Here's the setup on my current rig:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard
    Core i5-4670K CPU
    16GB DDR3 Ram
    GTX 770 video card
    256 SSD HDD

The Man has been very generous with my tax rebate this year so now I have cash to spare and that GTX 770 is really starting to show its age. I play hooked up to my TV and I don't have any plans for a 4K one anytime soon, so I'll never need more than 1080p resolution. But I do want to future proof through this new era of PS4Pro / Scorpio games. For instance, Mass Effect is already using a GTX 1060 for recommended specs. So the question: which of these fancy 10xx video cards should be enough for me to run 1080 / 60 fps with all the bells and whistles on any new PC ports coming out for this generation? Is there anything else up there that's going to bottleneck me that I need to watch out for?

That ME:A Recommended spec is probably a bit extreme. That said, it calls for the 3GB 1060, which shares a name and little else with the 6GB 1060.

Basically you have 3 options. The 6GB 1060 is great for 1080p max settings gaming with DX11. The AMD RX 480 is cheaper and slightly worse at DX11 games, but will handle DX12 games better, and that will be the new standard... eventually.

Option 3 is to go for a 1070, which is overkill, but will guarantee smooth 1080p gaming for longer thanks to its better performance. Personally, I'd go with the 480 and be happy for a few years, then upgrade the whole shebang when the processor starts to show its age.

EDIT: Oh, and you can also wait for Vega GPUs if you want. That would be Option 4.

Thanks for the advice. I may grab the 1070 then since I can't guarantee that we won't have another kid and render me even poorer in the future to do a later upgrade, haha. Gotta strike while the wallet is hot.

Does the 1070 do DX12 ok? Also, has anyone heard if the 1070s are going to drop in price as well or is there going to be some awkward gab where for only a few dollars more it makes more sense to get a 1080?

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I think that until there's a game that will take my 980Ti to under 30FPS at 1440p, I'll probably be OK with gsync keeping things smooth. It feels like we're in a transition moment right now. Both GPUs and 4K displays are almost but not quite able to match the 1440p generation in frame rate. I really would like to make my 980 last till there's 4K/144Hz displays and GPUs that can keep them going at 60+. So... time to wait on benchmarks for the 1080Ti and Vega (though I seriously doubt Vega will be an FPS contender vs. the 1080Ti)..

I do a lot of VR as well with iRacing and Elite Dangerous, so the bump in VR that the 1080 Ti gives me is another big factor in wanting to upgrade.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I goofed with the motherboard I bought, it only has 2 DDR4 2133mhz slots, which I should have paid more attention to.
    I bought the 2x4 GB memory set, just for a starter, and the question is, could those same 2 DDR4 slots take a 2x8 pair? Sorry if this is obvious, just want to figure out what to keep and what to try to return. Thanks!

Motherboard
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0165YUDTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2x4
    https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-2133MHz-Non-ECC-HX421C14FBK2-16/dp/B00TY6A1P0/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TY6A1LY&pd_rd_r=HQG0BYRXJGCNKRJBSKQH&pd_rd_w=UdRP0&pd_rd_wg=YZj1b&refRID=HQG0BYRXJGCNKRJBSKQH&th=1
    2x8
    https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-2133MHz-Non-ECC-HX421C14FBK2-16/dp/B00TY6A1LY/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TY6A1LY&pd_rd_r=HQG0BYRXJGCNKRJBSKQH&pd_rd_w=UdRP0&pd_rd_wg=YZj1b&refRID=HQG0BYRXJGCNKRJBSKQH&th=1

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I goofed with the motherboard I bought, it only has 2 DDR4 2133mhz slots, which I should have paid more attention to.
    I bought the 2x4 GB memory set, just for a starter, and the question is, could those same 2 DDR4 slots take a 2x8 pair? Sorry if this is obvious, just want to figure out what to keep and what to try to return. Thanks!

Motherboard
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0165YUDTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2x4
    https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-2133MHz-Non-ECC-HX421C14FBK2-16/dp/B00TY6A1P0/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TY6A1LY&pd_rd_r=HQG0BYRXJGCNKRJBSKQH&pd_rd_w=UdRP0&pd_rd_wg=YZj1b&refRID=HQG0BYRXJGCNKRJBSKQH&th=1
    2x8
    https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-2133MHz-Non-ECC-HX421C14FBK2-16/dp/B00TY6A1LY/ref=pd_sim_147_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TY6A1LY&pd_rd_r=HQG0BYRXJGCNKRJBSKQH&pd_rd_w=UdRP0&pd_rd_wg=YZj1b&refRID=HQG0BYRXJGCNKRJBSKQH&th=1

Gigabyte website says it'll support up to 32GBs of RAM so you should be good with the pair of 8GB sticks.

Mildly interesting fact: Apparently I bought a pair of the 4GB sticks last year. I dont remember doing so. I'm pretty sure I used them for my media server rebuild...

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Motherboard
    2x4
    2x8
    Mildly interesting fact: Apparently I bought a pair of the 4GB sticks last year. I dont remember doing so.

That moment when you realize you might have a problem.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Guhhhhh. The headhphone jack in my cases keep breaking. I replaced my last case because it didn't have any front-side USB3 ports and because the jack was broken. Now I've had my new case for about 9 months and already the headphone jack is broken. I know it's not my headphones because I can plug them into my cellphone and other devices with no problem. My google-fu is failing me because if I search for "broken headphone jack" or "broken headphone plug" all I get is articles about iPhone headphones.

Perhaps you guys can help me, is there any way I can fix the headphone jack in the case without having to buy a new case every 9 months? Or is it my fault for buying cheap cases?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Guhhhhh. The headhphone jack in my cases keep breaking. I replaced my last case because it didn't have any front-side USB3 ports and because the jack was broken. Now I've had my new case for about 9 months and already the headphone jack is broken. I know it's not my headphones because I can plug them into my cellphone and other devices with no problem. My google-fu is failing me because if I search for "broken headphone jack" or "broken headphone plug" all I get is articles about iPhone headphones.

Perhaps you guys can help me, is there any way I can fix the headphone jack in the case without having to buy a new case every 9 months? Or is it my fault for buying cheap cases?

3.5mm jacks on cases are terrible. I want to say it's like SD card readers and other things of the like where they're just universally shitty.

TBH you'd probably be better off having 2 sets of headphones (usb headphones for PC, 3.5mm headphones for everything else).

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    First Ryzen benchmarks have hit and it's all looking pretty good.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

What case do you have? it might be possible to buy just the headphone jack assembly (or that plus the USB ports) from the manufacturer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I got this one: http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=98

Zalman T4 microATX

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Having the headphone USB pass-through on my keyboard has been a life-changing revelation, along with my scroll/spin mouse wheel option.

I am Technology.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    How good are your tear-things-apart-and-fix-them capabilities? You can tear apart the front panel and replace the jack with something a bit more robust; and use a bit of super glue or similar to keep it in place. You can also grab a USB "sound card" and just plug that into your front USB ports.

I poked around a bit and it doesn't look like they sell the front/top panel separately, but I didn't look very hard. At the least, you should email Zalman and see if they are willing to send you the part.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I simply bought a cable extension and plug directly into the sound card.

• Options
    RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I simply bought a cable extension and plug directly into the sound card.

This changed my life about a year or two ago. I bought an extension cord and one of these and I can use my phone's earbuds (which I'm in minority of people who have ears that fit them) and it's pretty fantastic using the built in earbud mic to talk over Discord or something.

Haven't had a fuzzy connector/broken 3.5 jack since then, and if I did, I'd just replace the extension cord.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Ryzen tldr: single core performance is betwen 7 and 25% less than single core performance on the 7700k. It is the best processor, period, in multi-threaded performance, beating out the 6950k.

At idle a ryzen system consumes 10W less power than a kaby lake system, while at load it's 33W more. (7700k)

So for half the cost of a 6950k you get the best multi-core processor on the market, while sacrificing just a bit of single core performance.

Honestly, it looks great.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular

I don't see it on their website, but it might be worth emailing their support and seeing if they can send you a new front I/O port assembly thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Ryzen tldr: single core performance is betwen 7 and 25% less than single core performance on the 7700k. It is the best processor, period, in multi-threaded performance, beating out the 6950k.

At idle a ryzen system consumes 10W less power than a kaby lake system, while at load it's 33W more. (7700k)

So for half the cost of a 6950k you get the best multi-core processor on the market, while sacrificing just a bit of single core performance.

Honestly, it looks great.

Sadly, gaming is still more single core than not, so Intel is still going to dominate pure gaming rigs. But if you're wanting a solid all-rounder, Intel just got served notice.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Hopefully this will drive down prices on all their chips, AMD and Intel.

Competition is great for everyone whoever your allegiance is to. I would love to have one of those 1800x, but I don't stream so it's not warranted over my 6700k.

Still super happy though.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    now I'm torn on what kind of cpu to buy

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    My preference is to always go with AMD if only to prevent Intel from having a monopoly. So, to say I'm dissapointed that AMD couldn't get their shit together before I built last year would be an understatement.

But I don't regret what I have. It works and will continue to do so for a while. When I'm ready to move on, I'll reassess AMD then.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Looking at the benchmarks Ryzen chips are at best offering i5 levels of performance, but for production, compute, and anything that can make use of the multi-threaded processing they're great. It's still really interesting to read, and it's good to see Intel having some competition in that spectrum of CPU's.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    a lot of what I do at home makes use of multi-threaded, but I primarily focus on gaming.. so I'm torn

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think the real tldr is basically if you were in the market for the $1000 6950k than there is now zero reason to buy that and you should instead get the Ryzen part for half the price.

And also there's something to remember, even with games being mostly single core, we're only now hitting the point where the 6 year old 2500k series is becoming a CPU bottleneck on games. Even if the Ryzen's single core performance *only* matches an i5 today, it isn't very likely that that'll be a bottleneck for gaming for a good long time.

We still need to see benchmarks/pricing on the mainstream processors though.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Gamers Nexus's review compares it to CPU's going back a few generations http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2822-amd-ryzen-r7-1800x-review-premiere-blender-fps-benchmarks

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    At the end of the day I'm glad AMD is competitive again, but for a gaming box there is almost no reason not to buy an i7 still. Even in a heavily multi-threaded game like Watch_Dogs 2, my i7-4790K still handily beats the 1800X.

For people streaming, doing 3D rendering, tons of build tasks, photoshop, etc. the AMD chips are a no brainer right now...but Intel still absolutely holds the gaming crown, and frankly Ryzen doesn't get close. It's middle of the pack, fighting with mid-tier i5's while getting walked on by i7's.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

Motherboard
    2x4
    2x8

Gigabyte website says it'll support up to 32GBs of RAM so you should be good with the pair of 8GB sticks.

Mildly interesting fact: Apparently I bought a pair of the 4GB sticks last year. I dont remember doing so. I'm pretty sure I used them for my media server rebuild...

Thanks @emp123, still surprised that there's such a range of what you can fit in those slots. Wondering if I should return the memory, or go for a 4 slot board like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014YN6732/ref=psdc_1048424_t3_B0165YUDTM

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    now I'm torn on what kind of cpu to buy

AMD on reddit are talking about forthcomign gaming optimization. Unless you're in a hurry i'd see how things stand in early May with gaming benchmarks.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Now that the 1070 and 1080s are dropping in price, due to the upcoming Ti's, I've been thinking about my next GPU, upgrading from a GeForce 970.

My question is - will my CPU actually get the best out of a 1070 or 1080 ?

I've got a AMD 6300, 6 core running at 3500 Mhz. My motherboard is pretty old, though, and the best CPU it can take is a FX 8370E, which doesn't look like much of a jump in power (a benchmark site put it at 7769, compared to a score of 6348 for my current CPU).

I currently game at 2560x1080p, on an ultra-wide monitor.

Will my CPU be ok ? Or am I at the point where I need to start considering a new mobo/gfx card and ram upgrade ?

I'm not worried about 4k gaming, but would love to max out the framerate and setting on the games I play, as new games like Ark and Conan make it struggle, even at medium settings.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I wouldn't bother upgrading from a 970 for 1080 gaming. I'm really surprised to hear that it's struggling, and I'm more inclined to think it's your CPU struggling. The GTX970 can do VR gaming at 90 FPS comfortably.

happy to be wrong about the above, though.

In any case, you're correct that you'll probably bottleneck a 1070 or 1080. The new i5 7600k is twice as powerful as your CPU, for example.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    To be fair, Ark is a mess that runs like garbage on pretty much everything. (Can't comment on Conan, but I imagine that advanced cock rendering tech is pretty demanding, yo.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    To be fair, Ark is a mess that runs like garbage on pretty much everything. (Can't comment on Conan, but I imagine that advanced cock rendering tech is pretty demanding, yo.)

Oh yeah, Ark runs like shit (I'm on a GTX 970 at 1200p). I found turning down the sky stuff to have the best performance increase to visual quality decrease ratio.

• Options
    Anything built on Unreal's engine tends to run like shit. Not always, but most of it.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Like, just comparing UE4 titles, you have things like Gears of War 4 which runs like greased lightning while looking phenomenal, and Ark, which I turn to medium-low and still get like 40fps at most.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    oh, I didn't notice he was talking about Ark. Yeah, I don't think any machine in existence can run Ark at anything approaching high settings.

This discussion has been closed.