Options

[PC Build Thread] NVIDIA can't stop releasing GPUs like Oprah can't stop releasing bees

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Also, some of you may find this deal worthwhile (I use wired mouse and keyboard, myself)

http://deals.kinja.com/logitechs-solar-powered-keyboard-never-needs-fresh-batt-1793054163

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The novelty of never having to replace a battery is offset by the fact that chiclet keyboards are complete garbage.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why do you hate the future, Ned Ludd?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I have this keyboard Corsair built that doesn't need batteries and uses mechanical switches. I don't think they were the first ones to make these though.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    with regards to processors these days; last time I upgraded (3 years ago) there was no point in getting i7's for gaming, because games didn't make use of hyper threading. So I went with an i5 4670k.

Does that still apply today? If I was to upgrade today would there be any point in choosing an i7 over an i5? I wouldn't be doing any other demanding tasks other than gaming.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    with regards to processors these days; last time I upgraded (3 years ago) there was no point in getting i7's for gaming, because games didn't make use of hyper threading. So I went with an i5 4670k.

Does that still apply today? If I was to upgrade today would there be any point in choosing an i7 over an i5? I wouldn't be doing any other demanding tasks other than gaming.

i5 is the way to go.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    http://www.pcgamer.com/build-guide-the-best-cheap-gaming-pc/

Any thoughts on that build?

If I saved money by skipping tbd video card for a season, how much of a bottleneck would the integrated graphics card on the motherboard be?

For context, my current pc is a 4800+, 512 mb 4850 hd, and 3 gigs ramm.

• Options
    I'll have to open that article at home. If you forego the video card, you can use your 4850; it should still be better than integrated. You can also look into a cheap 970 or 1060.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Are you still bound to nvidea/intel ati/amd?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I'm not aware of it ever being the case that you had to pair GPU with CPU from the same brand

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I might remember a time when Intel CPUs and GPUs performed slightly better together. But that was when Intel though they could make GPUs worth a shit.

There is currently no need to limit your GPU choice to anything other than what you feel more comfortable using. If I was running AMD CPUs, I'd still be picking Nvidia GPUs.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Very happy with these 1080 Ti reviews.

I might lose a few fps over my sli'ed kingpins with the games that were well optimized for SLI (which isn't many), but using way less power and I can ditch half my watercooling system!

That's a win... now to keep hitting F5 on nowinstock to get mine ordered.... been using the damn integrated graphics from my 6700k and it's killing me!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34ZkAF9q9w

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Reading the 1080ti reviews makes the 1080 look almost slow. The 1080 is still very fast and more than enough for playing any current game at max or near max settings while still getting 60+ FPS. That still doesn't prevent me from wanting a 1080ti anyways, but I'm too lazy to actually sell my 1080 through reddit or other places.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, I'm finally at the point where I'm ready to pull the trigger on building a new PC. I promised my wife that once our bonus/tax return was in, I would set aside a budget and build the thing.

(Yes, I have an unhealthy relationship with money that can be defined as "I can talk myself out of buying things I want through internal shame." Yes, it annoys my wife.)

So, here's where I'm going with this:

* I'm looking for something well rounded. Gaming is important, but it's not the be all end all.
    * Currently, I have this case for the build. I'm planning on installing the maximum fans into it (the only ones I'm missing are the 140mm fans for up front.) I'm not completely wedded to it, if there's a case that would be considered superior, but I like the design and it's a decent size.
    * Budget wise, I'd like to aim for $1200-$1500.
    * I'm not against looking at building something for now, with an eye on upgrading in the future.

Any suggestions on builds to look at for inspiration?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    When you say "well rounded," what other purposes other than gaming do you intend for it? Video editing? CAD work? Streaming to Twitch? Or more like "word processing?"

What resolution do you want to spec for, and what peripherals will you need, if any?

• Options
    Terrendos wrote: »
    When you say "well rounded," what other purposes other than gaming do you intend for it? Video editing? CAD work? Streaming to Twitch? Or more like "word processing?"

What resolution do you want to spec for, and what peripherals will you need, if any?

I'm a programmer by trade, so I would like it to be capable for development. Mainly, my concerns here are about all the criticism I've been reading over Ryzen's performance with games - I don't mind a build that trades on gaming performance to be better all around.

I'm not looking to replace any peripherals yet (perhaps when we finally buy a house), so I'm running two older 16:9 monitors right now - nothing fancy, but I'd like headroom for eventually upgrading to 4K.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Multitasking, with 2+ monitors the Ryzen would outperform the Intel chips by a large margin. If you're just gaming and maybe watching netflix on the second monitor or have chrome open, you'd be better suited to intel. Do you plan to stream, record, or run virtual box while you're gaming?

This is just what I've found after doing like 2 weeks of research on what I'm thinking about doing. Doesn't feel like there's a hard or fast answer to the Ryzen vs Intel debate unless for sure you only want to game, and only game.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Multitasking, with 2+ monitors the Ryzen would outperform the Intel chips by a large margin. If you're just gaming and maybe watching netflix on the second monitor or have chrome open, you'd be better suited to intel. Do you plan to stream, record, or run virtual box while you're gaming?

This is just what I've found after doing like 2 weeks of research on what I'm thinking about doing. Doesn't feel like there's a hard or fast answer to the Ryzen vs Intel debate unless for sure you only want to game, and only game.

That's the thing - I'm not sure, because I literally ran my current computer into the ground. I think that I might stream (I've done it a bit with my PS4), but at this point, I'm not fully sure what my usage scenario will be in the long run.

• Options
    Honestly if I was building a new system, I would get a Ryzen. You are going to lose like 10-15 fps over an 1151 Intel chip. But once that Ryzen gets better optimized you might be able to close that gap. While still having a monster of a multi-threading CPU.

So you can go intel and get great IPC and mediocre multithread or AMD and get decent IPC and phenomenal multithread for the money.

Watch this and make your decision:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mMBbWHrwM&t=42s

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    If you don't know, Ryzen is probably where you want to look? You're seldom CPU bound when gaming anyway and the extra cores can be nice. Then again I haven't seen many benchmarks for Ryzen yet.

• Options
    Bloodycow wrote: »
    Honestly if I was building a new system, I would get a Ryzen. You are going to lose like 10-15 fps over an 1151 Intel chip. But once that Ryzen gets better optimized you might be able to close that gap. While still having a monster of a multi-threading CPU.

So you can go intel and get great IPC and mediocre multithread or AMD and get decent IPC and phenomenal multithread for the money.

Watch this and make your decision:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-mMBbWHrwM&t=42s

I watched that video earlier this week, actually, which is what made me think on this.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I stand by my statement that most games aren't CPU bound right now anyway, so Ryzen's lower single core perforance isn't really a huge deal for gaming yet anyway.

6 year old i5's are only just now becoming enough of a bottleneck for gaming to think about replacing. Ryzen will be fine.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    For the ryzen vs intel debate I would look at chipset features rather than performance. Whatever performance differences there are might change in the near future, with cpu optimization being what it is.

• Options
    In the spirit of what I told my wife earlier in the week: "Just make a decision and stop waffling over it"

Pick Ryzen. You're not gaming focused and the multithreading will be a nice benefit for coding. GPUs are in a state where they do so much heavy lifting in games that you won't be CPU bound for at least another 3 years (though I'm willing to bet it's more like 5-6).

• Options
    Okay, then in the spirit of spitballing this, I put together this parts list.

• Options
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wXKfGf
    Changed your PSU to save you 10 bucks and a little on your power bill, while getting a better product.

Do you have more storage then just that 256G SSD? I can tell you from experience (my Razer Stealth laptop only has 256G) that shit fills up with about 4 games and if you play any MMO's then really your looking at 3 AAA titles.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    Okay, then in the spirit of spitballing this, I put together this parts list.

You can get a Hyper 212 for half the price of the cooler you picked. You can probably shave another $30 off the PSU, but I haven't dug into the other PSU offerings at PCPP.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    PCPP doesn't have much for AM4 compatible coolers on their list right now. I would just go off of newegg or amazon for your cooler.

Bloodycow on
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wXKfGf
    Changed your PSU to save you 10 bucks and a little on your power bill, while getting a better product.

Do you have more storage then just that 256G SSD? I can tell you from experience (my Razer Stealth laptop only has 256G) that shit fills up with about 4 games and if you play any MMO's then really your looking at 3 AAA titles.

Revision based on that - added a 2TB Caviar Blue as a secondary.

• Options
    PCPP doesn't have much for AM4 compatible coolers on their list right now. I would just go off of newegg or amazon for your cooler.

In that case, I might look for a 240mm AIO cooler (the case has a top mount 240mm vent.)

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Also, you really don't need to go hog wild on the fan set up. Put the 240 in the front and the 120 in the back will probably be more than adequate for cooling and avoiding the extra noise of 3 extra fans.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    If I was planning originally on an i7 7700k, does the AMD vs Intel discussion above have the same conclusion? Or is this more if you're looking at midrange stuff?

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Also, you really don't need to go hog wild on the fan set up. Put the 240 in the front and the 120 in the back will probably be more than adequate for cooling and avoiding the extra noise of 3 extra fans.

Provided the volume of air the 240 intakes is greater than the volume of air the 120 exhausts.

At first blush, it should, but fan speed makes a difference, too.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    That video was kind of bullshit. None of the benchmarks or games were CPU intensive. I'm amazed he didn't give Total Warhammer and Cities Skylines are run.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    If I was planning originally on an i7 7700k, does the AMD vs Intel discussion above have the same conclusion? Or is this more if you're looking at midrange stuff?

If you had to buy something today, i'd get the 7700. But if you can wait a month or six weeks, is see what AMD does with Ryzen optimization. If it pans out, Ryzen will be better, or at least almost as good and materially cheaper and will not see performance degrade as fast in the future.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    That video was kind of bullshit. None of the benchmarks or games were CPU intensive. I'm amazed he didn't give Total Warhammer and Cities Skylines are run.

He was more going for the reddit crowd that cried foul, because the Ryzen's 1080p benchmark scores were kinda shitty. Above 1080p the thing pulls it's weight well.

― John Quincy Adams
  • Options

He was more going for the reddit crowd that cried foul, because the Ryzen's 1080p benchmark scores were kinda shitty. Above 1080p the thing pulls it's weight well.

CPU has very very little bearing on performance when it comes to higher resolutions.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

CPU has very very little bearing on performance when it comes to higher resolutions.

True, but many people are now gaming at 1440p and 4k, so the fact that Ryzen is more competitive at those resolutions is meaningful to a lot of people. I'd be more willing to lose some game performance at those higher resolutions but have significant gains in applications that can use the additional cores and multithreaded processing.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I actually spent the last week waffling on the 1700X vs the 7700K as well. In the end I caved in and bought the latter because the productivity programs I use are mainly single-threaded. That, and games.

I'm still not sure I made the right decision, to be honest.

Weird time to be buying a CPU if you can't shell out top dollar. Too many problems with no certainty of fixes. Here's to hoping AMD resolves the issues for the R5 and Zen2 next year. Not that I will be in the CPU market for the next +4 years.

Taerak on
  • Options
    It's not like your computer is going to slow to a crawl where it takes 5 hours to compile something that took 5 minutes on your previous build; and if you choose the "wrong" CPU, it isn't going to set itself on fire.

Will it be "less optimal?" Sure. Will it be measurable? That's debateable.

This discussion has been closed.