As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Origins of the [Chat] of Spanish Succession

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Also for real though shit was pretty fukin racist when a lot of people are like "yes we should have risked the kids life to tranquilize the gorilla, if the kid dies its the mothers fault. Also its the mothers fault that the gorilla died" even when zookeepers and behavior experts were like "yeah shit like this happens. that gorilla was gonna rip that kid apart. Male gorillas dont fuck around with children that aren't theirs, my dudes"

also we got sexism in our racism because everything was this mother's fault lol

Counterpoint: A Silverback gorilla protected a young child that fell into the gorilla enclosure in UK(Jersey) way back in the day

male?

that's the important distinction

Yup a Silverback male named Jambo.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    BTW hakkes the Persian woman is apparently into some kinky shit

\o/

50/50 chance you experience trauma that will cost you years of your life and many thousands in therapy bills

worth it

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Also for real though shit was pretty fukin racist when a lot of people are like "yes we should have risked the kids life to tranquilize the gorilla, if the kid dies its the mothers fault. Also its the mothers fault that the gorilla died" even when zookeepers and behavior experts were like "yeah shit like this happens. that gorilla was gonna rip that kid apart. Male gorillas dont fuck around with children that aren't theirs, my dudes"

Counterpoint: A Silverback gorilla protected a young child that fell into the gorilla enclosure in UK(Jersey) way back in the day

male?

It was

Jambo > Harambe

im sorry fam

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    campaigns where the players are the gm's playthings are just tremendously unfun

We all know Ludious would actually obsess over making a good, fun campaign for his players and actually stress himself out trying to make sure it runs smoothly and self-flagellate every time it went off the rails

And then seethe quietly about how players are blundering hamfisted idiots who ruin everything they touch

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I should clean my apartment just in case some big breasted Romanian milf is also taking calc 2 and urgently needs to study with me after the first day of school

is today first day

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

would you like to wager a child's life on the fact that a gorilla didn't immediately murder a kid once

You must've missed my edit on your previous post.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

The back of his shirt just says "TRUMP THAT BITCH" in enormous letters.

where are these clips from?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Zdx97A63s

"Blameless Cleric"

*stares into the abyss*

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    i think the alignment mechanic makes sense in the context of, say, a cleric and their relationship to their god, and how they can't just go on a murder spree if that's not the teaching of their god or whatever

but for most characters i don't think alignment really matters and if you wanted it to matter i think it would make more sense to have some sort of reputation mechanic where word of your deeds gets round so people think you're a monster if you just go on murder sprees all the time or they think you're a nice fellow if you save people from dungeons or whatever

It's just a storybuilding shortcut. It does have some (easily altered) implications in the mechanics like the Detect X or Protection from X spells, but ultimately it only matters how much the DM and the players want it to matter.

For a group of experienced, adult roleplayers, nah, it probably doesn't matter. The character can have a more nuanced ideology than just being slotted into one of nine viewpoints, the DM and the player can decide how to work within that nuanced and ideology and determine when someone is starting to act too much out of character.

Of course, D&D is meant for kids, too. And for a group of kids who want to get started roleplaying and don't have any experience, alignments can be a guiding hand in creating a cohesive character.
    Aioua wrote: »
    It's fun to play an Atheist in D&D.

Clerics all "I am literally channeling the divine power of my god. Who was hanging out, in person, at our main shine last month." and you're all "nuh uh you're all frauds!"

it's kind of hard to be an atheist when someone can just go "hey pelor, show this infidel what's what" and pelor literally shows up like bam, checkmate loser

I think it'd be just as easy as in real life.

Magic exists. If someone prays to Pelor and then a lightning bolt strikes some non-believer, who's to say it's actually a prayer fulfilled by the gods rather than a spell?

Maybe the cleric is a fraud, trying to use magic to con people into joining his church so he can gain temporal power. Or maybe he's been conned himself, and Pelor is just a very powerful wizard. The line is blurred further in certain settings and storylines. Forgotten Realms has huge events whenever a new D&D iteration comes out, so they can "reset" the world to match the new ruleset; one of these big events involved the gods returning to Toril and becoming very powerful mortals. Some gods died (which led to the plot of Baldur's Gate), and some mortal became gods. When that's the biggest and most personal interaction with the gods that Toril has ever seen, why should a resident assume there is anything truly special about the divine?

I think it'd depend a lot on implementation of the magic system and divinity, too. In some settings, the church itself might admit that the god they worship is just a powerful magic user, and the concept of actual divinity doesn't exist. It wouldn't make sense to distinguish between atheism and theism in those settings. In other settings, we might see powerful examples of divinity as its own thing, like an all-powerful monotheistic entity (like Ao in the Forgotten Realms, although Ao keeps himself hidden and most mortals don't know he exists). It would still be possible to be an atheist in that setting, but much harder, because you might have specific examples setting the divine apart from more typical wizards.

well, that's kind of the thing

in a setting where the gods are actually present, it's kind of hard to be like "you frauds, there are no gods!"

um yes there are, one is standing right over there

what's even better is that also means faith-based religions, such as are so unfortunately popular in the last couple thousand years in the real world, are just as nonsensical and obsolete as pure atheism in such a setting.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Jambo was awesome though, 10/10 would gorilla with him again

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Shitposting contest you say?

Nobody is going to beat @Neco here; she has been honing her craft

Oh @kedinik I think I forgot to respond jonestly to this post but I actually did in fact lose a shitposting contest to @Donkey Kong not too long ago.

I mean, Alex Jones and Glenn Beck probably both have some compellig arguments as to why that contest was rigged, of course. Many, many people are asking some very tough questiins right now about the judge's credibility and ability. But that is just what orgers are saying. As an American, I can only accept the results and not try to fight them.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

male?

well over here on TEAM PEOPLE we don't gamble with kids' lives.

• Options
    Also Binti Jua protected a different kid who fell into the enclosure

okay I'm realizing this has happened multiple times

who is for banning kids from zoos

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    W. Va. town of 50,000 has 26 overdoses in 5 hours: 'They’re just showing up and dying'

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    i think the alignment mechanic makes sense in the context of, say, a cleric and their relationship to their god, and how they can't just go on a murder spree if that's not the teaching of their god or whatever

but for most characters i don't think alignment really matters and if you wanted it to matter i think it would make more sense to have some sort of reputation mechanic where word of your deeds gets round so people think you're a monster if you just go on murder sprees all the time or they think you're a nice fellow if you save people from dungeons or whatever

It's just a storybuilding shortcut. It does have some (easily altered) implications in the mechanics like the Detect X or Protection from X spells, but ultimately it only matters how much the DM and the players want it to matter.

For a group of experienced, adult roleplayers, nah, it probably doesn't matter. The character can have a more nuanced ideology than just being slotted into one of nine viewpoints, the DM and the player can decide how to work within that nuanced and ideology and determine when someone is starting to act too much out of character.

Of course, D&D is meant for kids, too. And for a group of kids who want to get started roleplaying and don't have any experience, alignments can be a guiding hand in creating a cohesive character.

Clerics all "I am literally channeling the divine power of my god. Who was hanging out, in person, at our main shine last month." and you're all "nuh uh you're all frauds!"

it's kind of hard to be an atheist when someone can just go "hey pelor, show this infidel what's what" and pelor literally shows up like bam, checkmate loser

Magic exists. If someone prays to Pelor and then a lightning bolt strikes some non-believer, who's to say it's actually a prayer fulfilled by the gods rather than a spell?

Maybe the cleric is a fraud, trying to use magic to con people into joining his church so he can gain temporal power. Or maybe he's been conned himself, and Pelor is just a very powerful wizard. The line is blurred further in certain settings and storylines. Forgotten Realms has huge events whenever a new D&D iteration comes out, so they can "reset" the world to match the new ruleset; one of these big events involved the gods returning to Toril and becoming very powerful mortals. Some gods died (which led to the plot of Baldur's Gate), and some mortal became gods. When that's the biggest and most personal interaction with the gods that Toril has ever seen, why should a resident assume there is anything truly special about the divine?

I think it'd depend a lot on implementation of the magic system and divinity, too. In some settings, the church itself might admit that the god they worship is just a powerful magic user, and the concept of actual divinity doesn't exist. It wouldn't make sense to distinguish between atheism and theism in those settings. In other settings, we might see powerful examples of divinity as its own thing, like an all-powerful monotheistic entity (like Ao in the Forgotten Realms, although Ao keeps himself hidden and most mortals don't know he exists). It would still be possible to be an atheist in that setting, but much harder, because you might have specific examples setting the divine apart from more typical wizards.

in a setting where the gods are actually present, it's kind of hard to be like "you frauds, there are no gods!"

what's even better is that also means faith-based religions, such as are so unfortunately popular in the last couple thousand years in the real world, are just as nonsensical and obsolete as pure atheism in such a setting.

edgy

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

I love this though

just like nope, that's just a wizard pulling one over on y'all

dude just last week we stopped asmodeus from opening the gates to the nine hells

that was all smoke and mirrors and you know it!

When you a world filled with literal magic, why assume smoke and mirrors?

Devils are just one more intelligent, magical species among many. Planes are other worlds and travel from one to the next is more analogous to traveling from the Earth to the Moon than traveling from the Earth to Heaven. The physics of each world might be different, but that's par for the course in a magical cosmos. Asmodeus is the fantasy equivalent of Elon Musk, a master wizard with his magical SpaceX spell crafted to provide easy transport from one world (the Nine Hells) to the other (Faerun or whatever setting you're in).

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Don't forget that time a girl was trapped on a construction site and a gorilla threw a bunch of barrels at the dude harassing her

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Wow you can now quickly switch audio devices directly from the volume tray icon in windows 10, did they add that in the anniversary update? No more right clicking into the sound menu and setting default devices to switch between headphones and speakers.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

We all know Ludious would actually obsess over making a good, fun campaign for his players and actually stress himself out trying to make sure it runs smoothly and self-flagellate every time it went off the rails

And then seethe quietly about how players are blundering hamfisted idiots who ruin everything they touch

this is also the wrong approach!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I should clean my apartment just in case some big breasted Romanian milf is also taking calc 2 and urgently needs to study with me after the first day of school

is today first day

Ja

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I like the idea, in an RPG, of piety as a modifier for how much impact a god can have on an individual.

Like, a god can't harm a true atheist because the atheist just doesn't accept the god's existence.

But the atheist also can't benefit from healing miracles and doesn't even believe his teammates are being healed around him which can cause morale issues.

There are ways to balance it out.

I think Final Fantasy Tactics and Arcanum both have shades of this. The Faith/Brave stats in FFT. The magic/tech stuff in Arcanum. The more magical affinity you have the more positive and negative impact magic has on you and how much impact your own magic has.

Belief, as a general concept, is something that can be very nuanced and in the right hands employed well. See: Planescape.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Not really? I mean, Pelor is still going to be a faith based religion for most all peasants.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

Was a female gorilla.

Lets brace ourselves for zomg sexist backlash but male and female gorilla behavior is extremely different. The gorilla in that case guarded the child and shooed away a few other curious females.

-edit-

Apparently we're not talking about the same incident then. The situation I am recalling only involved female gorillas.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I can assure you in this one case you are wrong. I would never DM because I hate responsibility but I absolutely believe in the superiority of the writer/creator and no fucking trash party is gonna fuck up MY narrative

• Options
    yes how unfortunate

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I don't think Trevor Noah is all that great, I've seen a few things he's done but it's kinda eh overall.

Someone force Jon Stewart to come back. The country needs him.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

would you like to wager a child's life on the fact that a gorilla didn't immediately murder a kid once

You must've missed my edit on your previous post.

im just saying its not really a counterpoint. cats have befriended random birds. doesn't mean if i saw a cat in my bird's cage i would say eh its fine, a cat was a bird's friend once

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Gator wrote: »
    BTW hakkes the Persian woman is apparently into some kinky shit

\o/

Yes, I've heard that about Hakkes The Persian Woman.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I hate this topic. It was a really awful situation with no viable way to ensure both the gorilla's and child's safety. I hate that this is a fucking meme.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

male?

well over here on TEAM PEOPLE we don't gamble with kids' lives.
    Over here on TEAM VALOR all we care about is whether the gorilla or the kid had a higher CP

• Options
    I'm actually kind of weirded out that I had a dream about a social justice gorilla and the first thing I see in chat is people talking about harambe how did you guys know

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Helppppuhhhhhh

poo
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    "ok but what about the time we killed Infernus, the demon god of fire and suffering, and afterwards all his clerics lost their powers"

"I suspect Infernus was the lynchpin in some kind of black-market pyrotechnic smuggling operation"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    I like the idea, in an RPG, of piety as a modifier for how much impact a god can have on an individual.

Like, a god can't harm a true atheist because the atheist just doesn't accept the god's existence.

But the atheist also can't benefit from healing miracles and doesn't even believe his teammates are being healed around him which can cause morale issues.

There are ways to balance it out.

I think Final Fantasy Tactics and Arcanum both have shades of this. The Faith/Brave stats in FFT. The magic/tech stuff in Arcanum. The more magical affinity you have the more positive and negative impact magic has on you and how much impact your own magic has.

Belief, as a general concept, is something that can be very nuanced and in the right hands employed well. See: Planescape.

This sounds closer to like, the solipsist from TOME

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular

players are blundering hamfisted idiots who ruin everything they touch

they can't help it

it's in their nature

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    alright i guess its decided - i will only leap into a female gorilla enclosure during my next fugue state

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    In all seriousness I think that clerics of an ideology are a huge benefit to D&D and can make a setting much more fun, even if it generally relies on gods parcelling out talents.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

this is also the wrong approach!

I have found that the wrong approach is playing any game where you can't run an exploding sack of corrosive pus into your friend's army and detonate it and lean into his face and breathe "you just got ffffffucked brah" and he'll still drive you home later like a cuck

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I don't think Trevor Noah is all that great, I've seen a few things he's done but it's kinda eh overall.

Someone force Jon Stewart to come back. The country needs him.

I don't think he's bad at all, he just lacks something that Stewart had going on. He seemed more bemused by what he is reporting on, Stewart would get exasperated which signaled to me that I should take notice and get concerned.

• Options

is today first day

Ja

do all the calculus

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Harambe = Male gorilla, ethologists describe his behavior as a threat display and agree he was danger to child
    Jambo = Male gorilla, ethologists describe his behavior as protective and for some reason he saved the kid
    Binti Jua = Female gorilla (who had her own baby and was trained by handlers to give baby to them when it cried) helped a kid who got really hurt

what im saying is i dont know gorillas are animals and i'd value human lives over theirs UNLESS GRODD IS READING THIS IN WHICH CASE GORILLAS GOOD HUMANS BAD

This discussion has been closed.