Options

The Origins of the [Chat] of Spanish Succession

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    oh shit speaking of Harambe

Last night I had a dream that I lived in a boarding house with my wife while she was going back to college. One of the other lodgers was a sentient gorilla, and every time we had a group dinner he would uncomfortably make everything a reference to poaching and how his species is endangered because of human hunting.

Like someone was all "yeah, it's getting cold soon, do you have a sweater?" And he was all "No, I don't. Also generally your people take the sweater we were born with when they hunt us for our pelts."

And we would all uncomfortably laugh and get silent.

Also in the dream the sentient gorilla was describing how yes, gorillas do sweat and I was sitting there thinking "that's complete bullshit" but I wasn't about to argue with a social justice gorilla, so I kept my mouth shut.

But then I looked it up and apparently gorillas do sweat so uh

I'm sorry Harambe

sounds like sitcom material

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'd let someone play an atheist in my campaign.

Oh they'd be smitten the first time their character mentioned it out loud. Yes for reals.

Because that's funny as shit to me.

"Yeah, Erythnul smites you."

"What?"

"Yeah you're dead."

"...Really?"

"Erythnul doesn't take shit. Sorry."

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    well, that's kind of the thing

in a setting where the gods are actually present, it's kind of hard to be like "you frauds, there are no gods!"

um yes there are, one is standing right over there

I love this though

just like nope, that's just a wizard pulling one over on y'all

Lighting strikes people all the time.

Tide goes in tide goes out....

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular

Last night I had a dream that I lived in a boarding house with my wife while she was going back to college. One of the other lodgers was a sentient gorilla, and every time we had a group dinner he would uncomfortably make everything a reference to poaching and how his species is endangered because of human hunting.

Like someone was all "yeah, it's getting cold soon, do you have a sweater?" And he was all "No, I don't. Also generally your people take the sweater we were born with when they hunt us for our pelts."

Also in the dream the sentient gorilla was describing how yes, gorillas do sweat and I was sitting there thinking "that's complete bullshit" but I wasn't about to argue with a social justice gorilla, so I kept my mouth shut.

I'm sorry Harambe

Please, God, let a dream analyst visit chat and unpack this for the group.

at the risk of painting a bad picture of myself and my wife

I told her this story this morning and she just said "See, this is why I don't like white feminism"

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Gator wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    We all agree that the massive outcry over shooting the gorilla is a little racist, right?

wat

the boy who fell in was black i believe, and there was a ton of "mother should bear all the responsibility for the gorillas death, how dare she not pay attention to her kid for 5 seconds, what a terrible mother, send her to jail, etc etc etc"

there was considerable backlash

The same thing happened with that white kid eaten by a croc at Disneyland

There certainly were people saying that, but at no point did the zeitgeist become about the crocodile. There is absolutely a racial component to the harambe shit.

I'm gonna lean towards "but not really tho"

Tav, I appreciate that racial tension and stuff like that may not be part of your reality, but you do not live in the states.

Really, tho. You just don't have the same perspective. Period.

I get that you're super enlightened now but take it down a notch, yeah?

I don't pretend to understand tensions between catholics and protestants like you do.

Do you think I'm pretending to understand a meme and how it was perceieved by the Internet and people outside of the south?

Have you considered you're overcompensating for living in a racist shithole by being vocal about how progressive you are?

On tensions between catholics and protestants, the manager of my local Tesco has 1688 and 1745 tattooed in his arms

I can picture him being a Rangers hooligan some twenty years ago, ever ready to beat the ever living crap out of those Catholic Celtic scum

Id take Celtic vs Rangers a lot more seriously if they weren't both shit and suffering from big fish in a small pond syndrome.

I've tried watching Scottish football

The situation here is dire

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I had no idea about the race of the family in the harambe thing either

The comparison with police shootings was hard to miss tho

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    i think the alignment mechanic makes sense in the context of, say, a cleric and their relationship to their god, and how they can't just go on a murder spree if that's not the teaching of their god or whatever

but for most characters i don't think alignment really matters and if you wanted it to matter i think it would make more sense to have some sort of reputation mechanic where word of your deeds gets round so people think you're a monster if you just go on murder sprees all the time or they think you're a nice fellow if you save people from dungeons or whatever

It's just a storybuilding shortcut. It does have some (easily altered) implications in the mechanics like the Detect X or Protection from X spells, but ultimately it only matters how much the DM and the players want it to matter.

For a group of experienced, adult roleplayers, nah, it probably doesn't matter. The character can have a more nuanced ideology than just being slotted into one of nine viewpoints, the DM and the player can decide how to work within that nuanced and ideology and determine when someone is starting to act too much out of character.

Of course, D&D is meant for kids, too. And for a group of kids who want to get started roleplaying and don't have any experience, alignments can be a guiding hand in creating a cohesive character.
    Aioua wrote: »
    It's fun to play an Atheist in D&D.

Clerics all "I am literally channeling the divine power of my god. Who was hanging out, in person, at our main shine last month." and you're all "nuh uh you're all frauds!"

it's kind of hard to be an atheist when someone can just go "hey pelor, show this infidel what's what" and pelor literally shows up like bam, checkmate loser

I think it'd be just as easy as in real life.

Magic exists. If someone prays to Pelor and then a lightning bolt strikes some non-believer, who's to say it's actually a prayer fulfilled by the gods rather than a spell?

Maybe the cleric is a fraud, trying to use magic to con people into joining his church so he can gain temporal power. Or maybe he's been conned himself, and Pelor is just a very powerful wizard. The line is blurred further in certain settings and storylines. Forgotten Realms has huge events whenever a new D&D iteration comes out, so they can "reset" the world to match the new ruleset; one of these big events involved the gods returning to Toril and becoming very powerful mortals. Some gods died (which led to the plot of Baldur's Gate), and some mortal became gods. When that's the biggest and most personal interaction with the gods that Toril has ever seen, why should a resident assume there is anything truly special about the divine?

I think it'd depend a lot on implementation of the magic system and divinity, too. In some settings, the church itself might admit that the god they worship is just a powerful magic user, and the concept of actual divinity doesn't exist. It wouldn't make sense to distinguish between atheism and theism in those settings. In other settings, we might see powerful examples of divinity as its own thing, like an all-powerful monotheistic entity (like Ao in the Forgotten Realms, although Ao keeps himself hidden and most mortals don't know he exists). It would still be possible to be an atheist in that setting, but much harder, because you might have specific examples setting the divine apart from more typical wizards.

in a setting where the gods are actually present, it's kind of hard to be like "you frauds, there are no gods!"

I think the thing is in most settings clerics arent really calling down the actual god himself for a chat, just kinda channeling power. Atheism seems fully possible in such a system unless you encounter a high level cleric, especially if you yourself are channeling divine energy without a god.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Skippy I am going to steal that mind flayer conversation and make it into a comic

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The back of his shirt just says "TRUMP THAT BITCH" in enormous letters.

where are these clips from?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Zdx97A63s

@Blameless Cleric

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

I'm sorry Harambe

God bless this valiant dream gorilla for making you interrogate your anti-sentient gorilla prejudices

Getting gorilla woke is a painful process Arch

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

I love this though

dude just last week we stopped asmodeus from opening the gates to the nine hells

that was all smoke and mirrors and you know it!

that time when the overgod visited and spoke to literally every mortal on the plane tho?

filmed on a greenscreen

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'd let someone play an atheist in my campaign.

Oh they'd be smitten the first time their character mentioned it out loud. Yes for reals.

Because that's funny as shit to me.

"Yeah, Erythnul smites you."

"What?"

"Yeah you're dead."

"...Really?"

"Erythnul doesn't take shit. Sorry."

ugh

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Honestly, shitting on the mom is more class based than anything. Had she been a physically fit soccer mom with an open bottle of coconut water in the cup holder of her high end stroller, totally distraught that her little Ulysses had fallen into the enclosure, the media and public would have right away taken the side.

If the lady had a butterfly tattoo on her arm, smoking a cigarette, and a bad bleach job on her hair, then opened her mouth and honked in a trailer park accent that that Jimmy done climbed up the wall when she wasn't lookin, then we'd see probably and even harsher reaction than we did.

Race and class are intertwined obviously, so the mom being black automatically signals class to some degree, but I think we shouldn't over look class.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I always feel like it's more about worship than belief. Like in Dragonlance, followers of Paladine are aware of Takhesis, but it's basically like "fuck you, Takhesis". And vice versa.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I'm sorry Harambe

So glad I checked out chat this afternoon.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

I love this though

What if none of this is real, and we are all the creation of a couple nerdlords

• Options
    BTW hakkes the Persian woman is apparently into some kinky shit

\o/

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I'm sorry Harambe

Humans are cooler because we have so much more than most animals so it's used as thermoregulation versus panting and shit.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

I love this though

dude just last week we stopped asmodeus from opening the gates to the nine hells

that time when the overgod visited and spoke to literally every mortal on the plane tho?

filmed on a greenscreen

you can see his cloak waving like there's wind

there's no wind on the astral plane!

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Also for real though shit was pretty fukin racist when a lot of people are like "yes we should have risked the kids life to tranquilize the gorilla, if the kid dies its the mothers fault. Also its the mothers fault that the gorilla died" even when zookeepers and behavior experts were like "yeah shit like this happens. that gorilla was gonna rip that kid apart. Male gorillas dont fuck around with children that aren't theirs, my dudes"

also we got sexism in our racism because everything was this mother's fault lol

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I don't care what people say, The Daily Show has continued to be great under Trevor Noah

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Uplifted social justice gorillas just shaming humans into awkward silence

Propaganda like "of course we have the moral high ground--we're uplifted."

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    chelleyeah I just ordered you 16gb of ram and a new 500gb samsung evo SSD

I didn't ask you because you self flagellate over money spent on you so get over it. I can install the ram when it gets here tomorrow. I will upgrade your hdd and reinstall windows this weekend.

True love

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Alternately you could easily be a theist for a non-existent god and be like 'yeah my arcane powers definitely come from Bob, the wizard god' and people would be like 'are you sure though cause I also can cast magic missile and I've never prayed to Bob' and you're like 'yeah Bob is super-tolerant though and found you worthy anyway'.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I love this though

filmed on a greenscreen

okay but yesterday, you held the chalice of the all-thing and the voice of Gaia spoke through you, reshaping the very mountain on which we stood

that was an earthquake that released hallucinogenic spores from underground

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I do hope that some yelled "take him the fuck down" over a radio.

I would also accept Jurassic park shoot "hair"

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    campaigns where the players are the gm's playthings are just tremendously unfun

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I don't care what people say, The Daily Show has continued to be great under Trevor Noah

Every time I've tried to watch/listen I'm just not feeling it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Also for real though shit was pretty fukin racist when a lot of people are like "yes we should have risked the kids life to tranquilize the gorilla, if the kid dies its the mothers fault. Also its the mothers fault that the gorilla died" even when zookeepers and behavior experts were like "yeah shit like this happens. that gorilla was gonna rip that kid apart. Male gorillas dont fuck around with children that aren't theirs, my dudes"

Counterpoint: A Silverback gorilla protected a young child that fell into the gorilla enclosure in UK(Jersey) way back in the day

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Arch I especially appreciate that your dream-brain apparently knew something you thought you knew the opposite of

That's some trippy brain shit right there

• Options
    Uplifted social justice gorillas just shaming humans into awkward silence

Propaganda like "of course we have the moral high ground--we're uplifted."

In my last Stellaris game the octopi conquerors of the galaxy did not uplift the gorillas

The gorillas all died of natural causes

Death being the natural result of being purged, I guess

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    campaigns where the players are the gm's playthings are just tremendously unfun

If it makes you feel any better I would never actually DM.

I won't even let myself be party leader in a multiplayer game of any sort.

Fuuuuuck responsibility

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I should clean my apartment just in case some big breasted Romanian milf is also taking calc 2 and urgently needs to study with me after the first day of school

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Counterpoint: A Silverback gorilla protected a young child that fell into the gorilla enclosure in UK(Jersey) way back in the day

male?

that's the important distinction

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    if a flight from italy is getting in at 2:20 what time should I expect to actually be able to pick up a person who's on it? takes like a hour to get bags/go through customs and shit?

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I got money for my birthday, so I'm going to buy and build this over the next month or so!

eynq6nb50usq.jpg

It's for protection. From Gorillas

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I'm supposed to be working all today with an engineer in a factory in Vietnam. He is nonresponsive, Skype lists him as away, and the PC I need to remote into is off.

Boss even said I could work from home but I didn't because I wanted to make an appearance at the office. Fucking... I could be honoring Harambe and playing no man's sky right now.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Arch I especially appreciate that your dream-brain apparently knew something you thought you knew the opposite of

That's some trippy brain shit right there

the other thing my wife said about that conversation was "Dude you know this is just Gorilla Grodd just testing the waters to see if you'd work for him"

and i was like OF COURSE ID WORK FOR GRODD

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

would you like to wager a child's life on the fact that a gorilla didn't immediately murder a kid once

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.