Y O U T U B E

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    They're both so different in their tone and approach to storytelling that I'm glad we got both. It's like a symphonic orchestra and a Jazz combo.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    companies like crunchyroll and audible pay youtubers to put custom ads directly into their videos fairly often

I don't know how well it actually works, but they keep doing it, so probably pretty well?

it at least gives both the company and the youtuber a way around adblock, I guess

I'm fine with Youtubers doing integrated ads like that, as long as it's clear that it's paid sponsorship.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Steven Universe having such good writing is kinda hurting AT I think.

This but regular show

AT got lost in trying to hard to be weird now

Regular Show made the weird just background to super good character growth

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    MOWTENDOO'S BACK

(It's an anime parody, message me and I'll take it out of the post)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbwx9mv9q34

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Steven Universe having such good writing is kinda hurting AT I think.

I think AT was a victim of its own success, a bunch of its best people went off to do their own things.

But also like, AT was joyful and youthfully silly, it rings so false to criticize it for that. It's GOOD at being joyful and youthfully silly (or at least was). Treating that as somehow inherently bad is so like, angsty young adult trying to prove what an adult they are.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    It also seems like he's accusing Pendelton Ward of being a suit trying to create merch-able slang words out of cynical corporate desperation instead of being like

a dude who legitimately finds that stuff amusing.

I mean I get that it's default-mode bitter internet sarcasm but it's a weird target considering everyone involved in the creative direction of that show seem like the nicest, coolest people.

Fugitive on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hey, wouldn't it be funny if I had a video by somebody who was a large part of the comedy from negative reviews internet zeitgeist that guy is trying to latch onto a decade too late basically countering the cynical lazy points that obnoxious douche weasel was making with his animation? Like as if that person recognized that while base level ripping on terrible shows and movies is fun analyzing great but flawed stuff has more merit? Maybe like, he could have clearly grown a bit to realize that constructive criticism while less immediately satisfying is much more meaningful and valuable to the artistic mediums we all enjoy?

Whelp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXzmUfoKCqQ

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

looks like the guy on Canadian Tire Money

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hey, wouldn't it be funny if I had a video by somebody who was a large part of the comedy from negative reviews internet zeitgeist that guy is trying to latch onto a decade too late basically countering the cynical lazy points that obnoxious douche weasel was making with his animation? Like as if that person recognized that while base level ripping on terrible shows and movies is fun analyzing great but flawed stuff has more merit? Maybe like, he could have clearly grown a bit to realize that constructive criticism while less immediately satisfying is much more meaningful and valuable to the artistic mediums we all enjoy?
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

halkun on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Fugitive wrote: »
    It also seems like he's accusing Pendelton Ward of being a suit trying to create merch-able slang words out of cynical corporate desperation instead of being like

a dude who legitimately finds that stuff amusing.

I mean I get that it's default-mode bitter internet sarcasm but it's a weird target considering everyone involved in the creative direction of that show seem like the nicest, coolest people.

hell, finn yelling "mathematical!" has clearly been meant as a parody of dumb, manufactured catch phrases as far back as the fucking pilot

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

More to the point,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uy4jBAc6NQ

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    http.s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLEMsw1SjDY

Cool episode, though it glosses over a few things. Like the blowing in thing on Nintendo cartridges being due to a design flaw that warped the contacts inside the NES, and the uniformity of NES carts being because Nintendo required licensed games to be manufactured in their factories, with their lockout chip in it. That's a bit more detailed than the episode was going for, I'm sure, but the Gaming Historian covers it quite nicely. :)

Holy cow at those Neo Geo carts. I always remembered them being the funky arcade cabinets with a slot in them, but... jeeez.

He/Him | "We who believe in freedom cannot rest." - Dr. Johnetta Cole, 7/22/2024
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Yeah. I think the 8 bit guy is really more of a antique computer guy.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Uriel wrote: »
    Yeah. I think the 8 bit guy is really more of a antique computer guy.

He admits as much. :)

that Atari console with the big round buttons.. I remember somewhere, SOMEWHERE seeing that. I don't remember exactly where.. but it is a vague memory from my childhood.

The one console I wish I could find/remember was this one day I saw a mountain climbing game.. it wasn't ice climbers, and it wasn't a Nintendo system.. but it was fairly detailed and the mountain was blue (I think) in the background. Totally unique, stands out in my memory pretty strong.

That's one of my white whales of old games to find. The other being an arcade game I played at ShowBiz that had like zip lines or something between buildings, as a platformer.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "We who believe in freedom cannot rest." - Dr. Johnetta Cole, 7/22/2024
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    We all know Daveed Diggs right?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTNBdgv6VBs

So Daveed has a rap group called Clipping. It's basically that clip, just for a whole album. It's pretty sweet.
    They put out a new album this week.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKdxMpSxaU8

Just as rad, right? Except that performance doesn't really show off the best part of the album. To quote:
    "Splendor & Misery is an Afrofuturist, dystopian concept album that follows the sole survivor of a slave uprising on an interstellar cargo ship, and the onboard computer that falls in love with him. "

If that synopsis alone doesn't make you want to go listen to this thing, I've clearly failed. For those that immediately want more, oh thanks youtube!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpXiEb2KVoY

• RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Birds are cool, bro.

Birds are weird.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Birds are cute and good.

• HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    vEaRQgH.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    lewd as fuck

this is a 13+ forum for god's sake

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Soundtrack music needs to get its Leitmotif on more often.

Games have a similar problem, a lot of stuff is bland.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm a big Marvel fan, and even I feel they need to step up their music game. The only individual leitmotif's I can notice from them are Captain America's theme, which doesn't get used nearly enough or gets drowned out as the video notes, the Winter Soldier theme, because of it's mechanical, ominous feel stands out, and surprisingly Ant-Man's theme, which has a nice brassy horns thing going on, and I loved it in Civil War when
    you can hear it a bit when Ant-Man goes big during the airport fight.
    That was a wonderful touch, and they need more of that.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    There is one piece of iconic marvel music I can think of, and it worked because aside from a couple sound effects it's left in the open to enhance the mood (about a minute in).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlQ_thbFtDA

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I feel the need to rewatch this now

https://youtu.be/xSAp-QCHj_A

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

I'm curious how often Two Steps From Hell are the temp music on trailers before they just say "fuck it, we'll pay the license".

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

I honestly don't know what this means but I'm VERY excited about it

This discussion has been closed.