As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pounded Right in the [Presidential Election Thread]

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
Okay here we go. No goosery. Be cool, like Fonzie.

And let's start with this tidbit:

Trump donates $100k to Louisiana anti-LGBT group for "flood relief"
The church, Greenwell Springs Baptist Church, is working to coordinate volunteers and help victims of the August 2016 catastrophic floods caused by prolonged rainfall. Tony Perkins, who is president of the Family Research Council (FRC), an anti-gay lobbying group, is serving as the interim pastor of that church.

Some web sites, including the LGBT-oriented publication The Advocate and the New Civil Rights Movement, linked Trump's church donation with Perkins' anti-gay political activity and pointed to the church's Statement on Marriage and Sexuality, which calls homosexuality a "form of sexual immorality." The church, according to its constitution, makes all employees and volunteers sign a statement to that effect.

It remains unclear whether Donald Trump has yet made the reported donation. On 21 August 2016 the church posted on their Facebook page to say that Trump is "sending a financial contribution" to them.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    A++ Thread title.

Tingleriffic.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Not uncool, like Chachi.

Chachi-happy-days-26289741-286-420.jpg

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I was listening to Jill Stein's press conference at the National Press Club, and good lord. I had never heard her speak and she is either extremely cynical, or kind of an idiot.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I was listening to Jill Stein's press conference at the National Press Club, and good lord. I had never heard her speak and she is either extremely cynical, or kind of an idiot.

Why not both?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I'm catching up on the stuff Trump said yesterday while trying to "reach out" to black voters. It certainly didn't take him long to start wandering off his teleprompter again, which makes me a lot more relieved than I'd realised I'd be.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Yes.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    From last thread
    RedOakStrategic (B+ according to 538) - apparently this is a Google Survey.
    18th-19th, national

Clinton 55
    Trump 45

Clinton 37
    Trump 30
    Johnson 10
    Other/don't know 21

(Results among those with a preference)
    Clinton: 48%
    Trump: 39%
    Johnson: 13%

Absalon on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

She's basically the sort of "well meaning" do-gooder that flatly refuses to even try to grasp principles of group dynamics and coalition building because it would clash with her model of how the world should be.

See also: Lessig, Laurence.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Just listened to The Inquiry podcast (examines one question in the news each week) from the BBC World Service you chaps might be interested in - 'Would Donald Trump be a dangerous president?'

The programme comes to a somewhat unsurprising conclusion, Donald Trump would indeed be a dangerous president. The conclusion is that whilst he would most likely be an entirely lame duck president, his words alone would trigger instability in the world through worried allies and emboldened autocrats. Worth a listen, and the podcast in general is very interesting.

• Options
    Dubious of any pollster with no undecideds. Methodology is probably weird because the internet?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Single Issues, the hot new video starring Gerry Mandingo and Hung Chad

Atomika on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

She's basically the sort of "well meaning" do-gooder that flatly refuses to even try to grasp principles of group dynamics and coalition building because it would clash with her model of how the world should be.

Her model of how the world should be also seems kinda dumb.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

The pledge of allegiance always seems so weird to me.
    I have never, ever, pledged allegiance to my country.
    It simply never seemed like a thing i would, or should, need to do.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Clearly why the Communists won.[/American Public Education]

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

The church, Greenwell Springs Baptist Church, is working to coordinate volunteers and help victims of the August 2016 catastrophic floods caused by prolonged rainfall. Tony Perkins, who is president of the Family Research Council (FRC), an anti-gay lobbying group, is serving as the interim pastor of that church.

Some web sites, including the LGBT-oriented publication The Advocate and the New Civil Rights Movement, linked Trump's church donation with Perkins' anti-gay political activity and pointed to the church's Statement on Marriage and Sexuality, which calls homosexuality a "form of sexual immorality." The church, according to its constitution, makes all employees and volunteers sign a statement to that effect.

It remains unclear whether Donald Trump has yet made the reported donation. On 21 August 2016 the church posted on their Facebook page to say that Trump is "sending a financial contribution" to them.

If Trump goes back on a donation to an anti-gay group, can we still bash him for it?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

It seems perfectly rational to me.

Indoctrination is an important part of education. The ritualized nature of the pledge of allegiance is a way to cement that indoctrination.

Edit: Whether it should be an important part of education is another story, but currently a good portion of the way our education is structured is based around indoctrination of children.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Trump knows we can see him, right?

Like, pledging support to the LGBT community and then days later donating to one of the nation's most ardent anti-gay bigots is pretty bad optics.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Like, pledging support to the LGBT community and then days later donating to one of the nation's most ardent anti-gay bigots is pretty bad optics.

I mean, he has the superpower to turn invisible when no one's watching

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Not really, his followers will write it off or ignore it. It'll hurt him with everybody else, of course.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

Not really, his followers will write it off celebrate or ignore it. It'll hurt him with everybody else, of course.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

With how public his life has been....how would he know?

Woa.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Just listened to The Inquiry podcast (examines one question in the news each week) from the BBC World Service you chaps might be interested in - 'Would Donald Trump be a dangerous president?'

The programme comes to a somewhat unsurprising conclusion, Donald Trump would indeed be a dangerous president. The conclusion is that whilst he would most likely be an entirely lame duck president, his words alone would trigger instability in the world through worried allies and emboldened autocrats. Worth a listen, and the podcast in general is very interesting.

I don't really see how people keep coming to this conclusion. If Trump wins it will also likely mean that Republicans maintain control of the House and Senate, and would walk into the Oval Office with a vacancy already in the Supreme Court and the ability to confirm pretty much whoever they want.

They would effectively have control over all three branches of government, how this translates to Trump being a "lame duck" I do not comprehend.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

he has the best superpowers, everyone is always telling him how great his superpowers are, nobody has better powers

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

American Nationalism is a strange and very deeply ingrained thing. We have a different relationship to it than Europeans do.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    From last thread
    18th-19th, national

Clinton 55
    Trump 45

Clinton 37
    Trump 30
    Johnson 10
    Other/don't know 21

The numbers with leaners makes a bit more sense. I think Johnson will fade both due to normal 3rd party stuff and as his actual platform gets out (repeal of income tax, no regulations to combat climate change, and massive social welfare cuts on one side, essentially full amnesty for undocumented immigrants, social issues and pro-choice on the other, plus completely unfettered free trade for populist wings on both sides).

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    From last thread
    18th-19th, national

Clinton 55
    Trump 45

Clinton 37
    Trump 30
    Johnson 10
    Other/don't know 21

The numbers with leaners makes a bit more sense. I think Johnson will fade both due to normal 3rd party stuff and as his actual platform gets out (repeal of income tax, no regulations to combat climate change, and massive social welfare cuts on one side, essentially full amnesty for undocumented immigrants, social issues and pro-choice on the other, plus completely unfettered free trade for populist wings on both sides).
    Ayn Rand would have his babies.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »

I don't really see how people keep coming to this conclusion. If Trump wins it will also likely mean that Republicans maintain control of the House and Senate, and would walk into the Oval Office with a vacancy already in the Supreme Court and the ability to confirm pretty much whoever they want.

They would effectively have control over all three branches of government, how this translates to Trump being a "lame duck" I do not comprehend.

It only makes sense if you ignore that the "establishment" GOP doesn't control things in any real way even in Congress. And certainly wouldn't with a President Trump

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I mean, he's probably not actually going to donate the money, but a church that doesn't like gays can still spend donations on flood relief.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

American Nationalism is a strange and very deeply ingrained thing. We have a different relationship to it than Europeans do.

European nationalism remains largely ethnic in foundation, while American nationalism largely relies on what Lincoln called "political religion." The Pledge is related to that.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options

Her model of how the world should be also seems kinda dumb.

Yep.

The Nib ran a longform piece about one artist's time on the trail with Stein and the Greens. And the point that caught my eye was the scene where a long time Green Party activist, in order to describe how the Green Party will succeed, brings up Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

It is among some of the most unaware things I've read. The activist had no idea of the Faustian bargain that MADD made to achieve their goals, or how the organization has become a neo-temperance movement rejected by the original founders.

In short, she was completely unaware of the actual politics that went on with MADD.

Which sums up the Green Party.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular

The article is trying to be party-neutral. So not "Republicans are bad so Trump would be bad" (which looking at it from a party neutral point of view you can't say), but "Trump as a President- would he personally cause issues/corruption/the end of times or not?"

I happen to agree with you that Republicans in charge of all 3 branches of government is absolutely terrifying, but that's not what they're trying to measure here.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »

If Trump goes back on a donation to an anti-gay group, can we still bash him for it?

I think it's best to chalk that up as a wash.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    El Skid wrote: »

The article is trying to be party-neutral. So not "Republicans are bad so Trump would be bad" (which looking at it from a party neutral point of view you can't say), but "Trump as a President- would he personally cause issues/corruption/the end of times or not?"

I happen to agree with you that Republicans in charge of all 3 branches of government is absolutely terrifying, but that's not what they're trying to measure here.

The author should stop doing goosey things like false equivalence between the parties. A large part of why Trump would be a horrible President is because he would happily enable the GOP's id.

You cannot separate the President from their party, because organization is the force multiplier.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »

That's fine, I understand that they are trying to be neutral. But even trying to take an even handed approach you should still be able to see what the consequences of a Trump victory would be for the other branches. Even then he wouldn't be a lame duck. That's the conclusion that I have trouble with.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think its sad I have heard a lot of stuff on Stein in the media and she has god awful numbers and yet very little of Johnson and he dwarfs her in polls. So either people know stein is garbo or because Gary Johnson has such a generic name people just choose him instead of trump/clinton.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    a5ehren wrote: »

European nationalism remains largely ethnic in foundation, while American nationalism largely relies on what Lincoln called "political religion." The Pledge is related to that.

I used to roll my eyes hardcore at "american nationalism" but seriously the DNC this year made me understand. I thought it was an extremely positive example of nationalism, which previously I had only thought of with negative connotations.

edit: and I think the pledge can fit into that.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ohio's Sherrod Brown was on the radio this morning talking about Clinton's focus on fundraising right now. The DNC should keep that guy away from any microphones. He refused to acknowledge anyone's concerns about her lack of public events vice fundraising and instead went on a nigh Trumpian diatribe about how she'll be at so many public events you'll be sick of her.

• Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Ohio's Sherrod Brown was on the radio this morning talking about Clinton's focus on fundraising right now. The DNC should keep that guy away from any microphones. He refused to acknowledge anyone's concerns about her lack of public events vice fundraising and instead went on a nigh Trumpian diatribe about how she'll be at so many public events you'll be sick of her.

Yeah, my eyebrows nearly shot through the roof when he was mentioned as a potential VP candidate. Eek.

Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    Anyone who is that liberal and can get elected in Ohio is excused.

This discussion has been closed.