As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 7.0] Sombra officially announced in cinematic "Infiltration"

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I don't get the questions about Sombra's accent at all

she sounds almost exactly like Sophia Vergara to me

checks

yep voice actress is columbian

I've seen people in comments sections on multiple sites making a stink about it

i assume most of those people don't speak spanish

exact same thing happened to tracer, it's to be expected

tracers accent is garbooje tho, its a northern woman doing a dick van dyke impression

there was a girl on the youtoob who said that was her for real voice.

i live in london

nobody sounds like that

its a deliberate pastiche accent based on an accent that existed about 50 years ago and is entirely gone now reep. she was asked to do cheeky cockney and thats what she gave, but it does not sound gud

i believe you

i just want to also believe that youtube girl was real

but i can't find the video. . .

I got you, fam.

what say you Scheck?

@surrealitycheck

does she not exist in your mythical town of london?

shout out to Arc for making me not feel like I dreamed a whole thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    Road Block wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »
    Exact words from the site:
    EMP

Sombra discharges electromagnetic energy in a wide radius, destroying enemy barriers and shields and hacking all opponents caught in the blast.

Loose wording maybe, but it does draw a distinction between "barriers" and "shields".

However, to Road Block's original point, the barrier/shield-destroying effect is only a property of her ult. That's in addition to her hack status inflicted by her hacking move.

Damn that's crippling. It seems entirely too easy for a good Sombra to set up a tele. Walk in stealthed, ult and give the Zen a quick burst and port out before people relise where she is.

I think that's a bit much. Way too punishing for sheild users. Wouldn't suprise me if that aspect got cut at some point.

I like that there are more options for dealing with Reinhardt and Zarya. They're both super common and their shields are very binary when it comes to interaction. Shoot it, in the case of Rein, or don't shoot it, in the case of Zarya. Having something more proactive to respond to them with isn't a bad thing, imo.

It's not just about her bubble, half of zarya's HP is shields, not regular HP. Zarya falls to 200HP as soon as the ult goes off.

Zenyatta is even better, he loses 150/200 hp instantly, can't heal and probably can't ult either, so is basically instakilled.

I still don't see the problem. There are other healers and tanks, plus as Dragkonias said, its an ult, its not like she'll have permanent uptime on it.

When it does 200/150 extra damage to those two characters apart from being one of the most versatile ults in the game, these characters become unplayable.

I feel this might be a bit knee-jerk, we'll see how it pans out. I'm willing to be wrong.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    EMP

Sombra discharges electromagnetic energy in a wide radius, destroying enemy barriers and shields and hacking all opponents caught in the blast.

Loose wording maybe, but it does draw a distinction between "barriers" and "shields".

However, to Road Block's original point, the barrier/shield-destroying effect is only a property of her ult. That's in addition to her hack status inflicted by her hacking move.

Damn that's crippling. It seems entirely too easy for a good Sombra to set up a tele. Walk in stealthed, ult and give the Zen a quick burst and port out before people relise where she is.

I think that's a bit much. Way too punishing for sheild users. Wouldn't suprise me if that aspect got cut at some point.

I like that there are more options for dealing with Reinhardt and Zarya. They're both super common and their shields are very binary when it comes to interaction. Shoot it, in the case of Rein, or don't shoot it, in the case of Zarya. Having something more proactive to respond to them with isn't a bad thing, imo.

It's not just about her bubble, half of zarya's HP is shields, not regular HP. Zarya falls to 200HP as soon as the ult goes off.

Zenyatta is even better, he loses 150/200 hp instantly, can't heal and probably can't ult either, so is basically instakilled.

I still don't see the problem. There are other healers and tanks, plus as Dragkonias said, its an ult, its not like she'll have permanent uptime on it.

When it does 200/150 extra damage to those two characters apart from being one of the most versatile ults in the game, these characters become unplayable.

And if they've got a Symmetra, that's 100 damage to her plus 25 to every other character in range.

That seems simply absurdly awful, especially with how fast her ult charges in all these videos.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Basically, Zarya is now literally useless and instantly bottom tier. That's a bit annoying

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    EMP

Her shutting down barriers (Reinhardt's sheild, Zarya's bubble) is fine by me as a counter. Her halving Zarya's health and quartering Zens just needlessly criples those characters. And as for stuff like Lucio's ult countering that should be a predictive descision IMO.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    re: hating on Sombra's accent

My boss is Colombian. Her accent is pretty solid.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Umm...That's only on the ult though so it isn't indefinitely.

And yes she'll be on the PTR next week.

It lasts long enough and I'm pretty sure their shields will just regenerate normally, not immediately plop back after 6 seconds.

I mean there are characters with ults that can kill/stun you outright. I don't see how this is that out of line.

And honestly, Zarya needed some kind of counter.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    EMP

And if they've got a Symmetra, that's 100 damage to her plus 25 to every other character in range.

That seems simply absurdly awful, especially with how fast her ult charges in all these videos.

Yeah. Any character with shields as HP now sucks. I mean wtf, 200/150 damage in the same radius as mei's ult, unpreventable? That's strong as fuck- I suspect they really didn't do pro-gaming playtesting. Even the guys playing her the first time in the available streams seem pretty amazed how OP she is, with zero previous playtime

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Dev wrote:
    If you're up against Winston, you can just stand on a hacked health pack and he can't kill you.

He said that like it was something really cool, and not frustrating and awful.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

It lasts long enough and I'm pretty sure their shields will just regenerate normally, not immediately plop back after 6 seconds.

I mean there are characters with ults that can kill/stun you outright. I don't see how this is that out of line.

EMP

Her shutting down barriers (Reinhardt's sheild, Zarya's bubble) is fine by me as a counter. Her halving Zarya's health and quartering Zens just needlessly criples those characters. And as for stuff like Lucio's ult countering that should be a predictive descision IMO.
    EMP

yeah, exactly. I don't see how either Zarya or Zenyatta can even stay relevant outside of quickplay with this change. They are unusable and you will be shunned for picking them from now on.

I mean it will be balanced because both teams will always have Zombra, but I really think they didn't think this one completely through.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    That's a bit hyperbolic.

You might as well say Genji is unusable because Zenyatta can completely negate his ult.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Sombra's ult just sounds, on paper, like the ultimate teamfight winner.

checks

tracers accent is garbooje tho, its a northern woman doing a dick van dyke impression

i live in london

nobody sounds like that

its a deliberate pastiche accent based on an accent that existed about 50 years ago and is entirely gone now reep. she was asked to do cheeky cockney and thats what she gave, but it does not sound gud

i believe you

I got you, fam.

what say you Scheck?

@surrealitycheck

(That's not her real voice)

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Want to know something else awful?

If Sombra has her teleporter already out, she can use it even if she's been hacked.

That also shows a good timer for how long ability disabling lasts. Five seconds.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

Shutting down Zarya's bubbles already makes her a counter.

Keep in mind the insta kill ults all have conditions on them. Reaper and Pharah can be shot down, blocked by sheilds, countered by Transendance or Sound barrier. Or avoided with escape abilities. This goes off sure youre not directly killing them but all options other then shoot at them are gone.

Point is yes there will always be bottom tier characters. But this ability puts two characters right on the bottom who would otherwise be playable and basically kills any chance of Symetra ever being decent unless they remove her sheilds. All this despite the fact the ult is plenty powerful without it.

• Options
    That's a bit hyperbolic.

You might as well say Genji is unusable because Zenyatta can completely negate his ult.

No? the shields stay gone after the ult is gone because they only regen out of combat.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

checks

i live in london

nobody sounds like that

i believe you

I got you, fam.

what say you Scheck?

@surrealitycheck

you guys are really killing my fantasy world.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Don't get me wrong the ult sounds good but for the moat part it seems to work to counter how most team fights work. Namely, bunching up and popping a bunch of ults.

I'll have to see how the PTR goes but I think it'll probably force folks to worry about positioning more but still be manageable.
    That's a bit hyperbolic.

No? the shields stay gone after the ult is gone because they only regen out of combat.

But they will eventually regenerate, similar to how Ana's biotic grenade works.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

checks

i live in london

nobody sounds like that

i believe you

I got you, fam.

what say you Scheck?

@surrealitycheck

yeah shes from essex rip... not sure there is room for essex in fantasy land

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Solo queuing onto a team with 3+ people who came in grouped up is annoying as hell. It always turns into 10 minutes on "everyone sucks but us". The word "noob" was actually uttered.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Some other ults that will absolutely ruin Zenyatta without him being able to respond in most situations: Dragonblade, Pulse Bomb, Death Blossom, Blizzard, Whole Hog, Tactical Visor, RIP Tire, Barrage, Deadeye.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Enlong wrote: »
    Some other ults that will absolutely ruin Zenyatta without him being able to respond in most situations: Dragonblade, Pulse Bomb, Death Blossom, Blizzard, Whole Hog, Tactical Visor, RIP Tire, Barrage, Deadeye.

Transendance will at the very least let Zen survive all of those and hard counter most of those. Most of those require some risk to the ulting hero and none of them are specific to a small group of heroes.

Road Block on
  • Options

Transendance will at the very least let Zen survive all of those and hard counter most of those. Most of those require some risk to the ulting hero and none of them are specific to a small group of heroes.

That, plus they don't single him out in particular, most of them fuck everyone up equally.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

And none of the others are instant with no warning.

• Options
    Let me put it this way. If Mercy's rez halved or more the healthpool of Reaper, Roadhog and Junkrat and no one else the people maining those characters would be pretty upset.

That's where Zen, Zarya and Sym players are right now.

• Options
    edited November 2016

As will shooting the instigator in the face.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

I'll give most of that, but are you implying EMP doesn't require risk to Sombra? Looking at the apparent range, she needs to be right up in close range to land it.

• Options
    edited November 2016

I'll give most of that, but are you implying EMP doesn't require risk to Sombra? Looking at the apparent range, she needs to be right up in close range to land it.

And she has only two different tools to easily be able to do that. So hey, both an entrance AND an escape.

And it's not like it's an objective-based game or anything where you're supposed to be staying on or clustering around some kind of point to defend it. Because that's been a huge problem; people are always on the point too much.

E:
    Let's say that you do see it coming, and shoot her down. That's not like countering the others where now it's gone for a while. She's still got it. Even Tracer's bomb can be bubbled or countered by a quick Sound Barrier. By the time you see the callout/visual on this, you've already lost 75% of your life if you're Zen.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

checks

i live in london

nobody sounds like that

i believe you

I got you, fam.

what say you Scheck?

@surrealitycheck

yeah shes from essex rip... not sure there is room for essex in fantasy land

Essex is fantasy land

Donnicton on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I mean, on paper it sounds good, but the most likely targets for an EMP will be a near-full team standing on their point. Depending on team coordination (on both sides), I'd give myself maybe a 20% chance of using an EMP on a proper target without being immediately mulched by everyone's primary weapons before I can even think of using the translocator. And a 40% chance of being killed while invisible before getting into position.

But maybe that's just my opinion on my own flanking skills coloring my conclusion. But it sounds like a highly risky endeavor; moreso than using Dragonblade or Pulse Bomb or Death Blossom in the same situation (dropping down into a defending team on their point)

Enlong on
  • Options

Comparitivly much less. All of the listed ults are either chaneled or transformative except Blizzard. By the time anyone relises Sombra has hit them she's already ported out.

And that's fine in my opinion except for the 3 characters who get crippled in addition to the hack. That's why I used the Mercy comparison. It's instant and none offensive. This should be the same.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

checks

i live in london

nobody sounds like that

i believe you

I got you, fam.

what say you Scheck?

@surrealitycheck

"Where'd DUE run off to? Did he stop believing in me?"
    wiyz9hw.jpg

• Options

Comparitivly much less. All of the listed ults are either chaneled or transformative except Blizzard. By the time anyone relises Sombra has hit them she's already ported out.

And that's fine in my opinion except for the 3 characters who get crippled in addition to the hack. That's why I used the Mercy comparison. It's instant and none offensive. This should be the same.

At this point, I'm not arguing that regenerative personal shields being effected by EMP is a good idea. Just making sure that's known. It's a bad decision and the effect should be limited to projected barriers and such.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Let's maybe wait until the character is at least OUT before we declare Sombra OP plz nerf

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Seriously this is some "Bastion is unbeatable Blizzard what were you thinking" level hysteria

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    If you don't want to discuss Sombra, how she affects other heroes, and how it's going to change things, the Overwatch thread seems like a strange place to be.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    If you don't want to discuss Sombra, how she affects other heroes, and how it's going to change things, the Overwatch thread seems like a strange place to be.

Its not really a discussion, though. Its "The sky is falling" vs "Lets see how it goes", with the former camp not accepting any other possibility than Sombra being 3broken5me.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Chairwoman: "I need someone to take out this hacker who specializes in destroying shields and barriers...."

...."Get me Zarya!" o_O :P O_o

"We must warn her immediately!"

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Does sombra remove Zarya's bubble, or does she just prevent Zarya from using it?

Prevents with hack, removes and prevents with EMP.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Her DPS is not great compared to other characters in the same role, especially against anyone with armor. Her hacking ability has a pretty long cooldown, and she's outmatched in close range fights by most of the offensive characters and tanks. She's got some situationally powerful CC to stop teams from cascading their ults, but it mostly counters characters that were super high in the meta, so... that's good! She's got a cool teleport, but it throws fairly slowly and is super visible, so it's an escape, not a way to maintain during a fight. She's got stealth, but can be detected and plenty of DPS can already sneak or teleport behind you anyway, and she can't really do anything once she's stealthed.

Fine, her ult can occasionally do 200 damage. So does Fan the Hammer or splash from 2 junkrat grenades. Relax.

• Options
    Also, I would like it recorded now that I think the most worrisome part of Sombra so far isn't her shield/barrier removal, but her very high damage SMG + stealth. I maintain that adding stealth to this game is a terrible decision, significantly more so than any of her other abilities.

This discussion has been closed.