Options

[OOC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    An Aura Perception will most certainly tell you if he's not mortal. You roll Auspex+Perception(and Empathy if applicable) and the number of successes determines how good a read you get.

You can't discern much about the interior unless you pull up blueprints somehow. Your phone would give a vague idea of the exterior.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Ah, that sounds like it might be a difference between versions then. Fencingsax could still probably get more than me, but maybe I can get something.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Does pale Aura mean Vampire, Ghost, or only slightly magic?

Edit: Or Death itself and we are all fucked?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Magic = myriad sparkles. (You've seen that before.) A ghost's aura fades in and out. Pale is not mortal, but it doesn't necessarily mean vampire. One success means you can only determine it's not a mortal.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sorry for being a bit MIA folks.

Was on vacation with only my phone for a week so it was harder to post but now home and back to normal.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The Dice are killing us. Metaphorically. So to speak.

• Options
    Geth, roll 4d10o10h8 for Perception + Alertness for the watcher.

Perception + Alertness for the watcher:
    4d10o10h8 0 [4d10o10h8=6, 7, 3, 4]

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    @cj iwakura Is our inhuman bouncer East Asian? If not I assume we should only be spying.

I thought Kuei-Jin could not make ghouls but that may not be true in this setting and would be OOC knowledge regardless.

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    He has bland, nondescript features. He doesn't appear Asian.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Is it just the two guys who walked out?

• Options
    They didn't exit, you can just hear their voices, but they're the ones tossing the bags.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Geth, roll 4d10o10h8 for another Perception + Alertness.

another Perception + Alertness:
    4d10o10h8 1 [4d10o10h8=2, 4, 2, 9]

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Well that's worrisome. Should we just assume Liz has conveyed what she's seen to us and move on from there? I'm in no hurry, but if there's a clock running...

• Options
    Question: To use the Dementation power "The Haunting", what does that require? Line of Sight I would guess but can I do that while hidden or would I have to do some sort of "LOOK INTO MY EYES" crap?

I can do either or (I kinda like the latter for the cool effect, but I don't think it would be useful for what it does).

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Haunting(and Dementation in general) is a mental discipline, so you only need to have the target in visual range.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Is that Dementation? You should also include the Dementation stat if so.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I wasn't sure, the book said it was just a Manipulation + Subterfuge roll vs. victim’s Perception +
    Self-control.

Geth roll 6d10o10h8

6d10o10h8 3 [6d10o10h8=8, 5, 8, 9, 4, 1]

• Options
    I wasn't sure, the book said it was just a Manipulation + Subterfuge roll vs. victim’s Perception +
    Self-control.

Geth roll 6d10o10h8

I'm almost positive they all include the discipline. I'll double check, but it's fine either way. The 6d can stand.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Geth, roll 5d10o10h8 for contesting the madness.

contesting the madness:
    5d10o10h8 4 [5d10o10h8=9, 1, 9, 8, 8]

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Anyone by the building will need to roll initiative. In fact, everyone should.
    You're also entitled to a free social action.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Is initiative consistent between versions? V20 says 1d10+Dex+Wits.
    It also says to announce your action at the same time, but Danny isn't currently aware of the shit hitting the fan. In my mind's eye he is way over the opposite side from Lizzy and also quite distant from the van. He would notice the guy out front doing something but probably needs to be alerted otherwise.
    I'll put this here by way of example, let me know if you'd like it done differently, or feel free to lock it in.

Action: Start moving around to the back of the building.
    Geth roll 1d10+4 for Presumptive Initiative

Presumptive Initiative:
    1d10+4 8 [1d10=4]

• Options
    Before we roll initiative and what not, Lizzy could just use Obfuscate and disappear, unless one of these guys are Vampires with Auspex.

• Options
    The above example is fine.
    Before we roll initiative and what not, Lizzy could just use Obfuscate and disappear, unless one of these guys are Vampires with Auspex.

She can certainly claim fair escape if she manages it in time. Roll a contested Obfuscate and Stealth, since she's being sought.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Geth roll 6d10o10h8 for You can't see me (Dex+Stealth+Obfuscate)

You can't see me (Dex+Stealth+Obfuscate):
    6d10o10h8 2 [6d10o10h8=2, 8, [10, 2], 5, 2, 1]

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    So uh...does Celerity add a die to Initiative? Because that seems insane.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oh crap, I didn't think of that.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Would it be a die or maybe another +1 as if you had 1 more dex?

• Options
    Well, reading the rules it *seems* like this is addressed because Celerity only adds to Dex-related dice pools. Initiative is a roll. I think those are disparate things. But natural language.

Natural language. :(

• Options
    Oh I added it but Ardent is probably right, in which case my init is one less.

• Options
    whatever, let's do this.

Geth roll 1d10+4 for regular
    Geth roll 2d10+4 for unleaded

regular:
    1d10+4 8 [1d10=4]
    unleaded:
    2d10+4 13 [2d10=1, 8]

• Options
    My interpretation is that it doesn't affect initiative, only extra turns and dexterity-based actions.

On that note...

Geth roll 4d10o10h8 for observing the malkcontent.

observing the malkcontent:
    4d10o10h8 1 [4d10o10h8=2, 8, 5, 2]

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Combat has been narrowly diffused, so initiative isn't necessary... at least, not yet.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Question: If Lizzy hits this guy with an ambush, does she get some sort of bonus? Like lower the difficulty by 1 or something?

• Options
    Also, looking at page 192 of the revised edition of Masquerade, 8 difficulty is really high. Like 6 is a standard difficulty for task that require a bit of concentration, like shooting a gun at someone's center mass. 8 would be like trying to get a headshot on them from the weapons maximum range.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Also, looking at page 192 of the revised edition of Masquerade, 8 difficulty is really high. Like 6 is a standard difficulty for task that require a bit of concentration, like shooting a gun at someone's center mass. 8 would be like trying to get a headshot on them from the weapons maximum range.

Yeah I agree, I think this explains why we've been having a lot of difficulty with our rolls in general. We're using oWoD stats for char creation, but the nWoD set difficulty of 8. Vampire is already pretty wonky when it comes to the dice system, this is making it tougher.

Boozer on
  • Options
    Boozer wrote: »

Yeah I agree, I think this explains why we've been having a lot of difficulty with our rolls in general.
    We're using oWoD stats for char creation, but the nWoD set difficulty of 8. Vampire is already pretty wonky when it comes to the dice system, this is making it tougher.

Yeah, I'm not sure how nWoD does it as I don't have any of those books, but I don't think they have opposed rolls either, one success is a complete success. Which is funny that the oWoD says that too but then The Haunting is an opposed roll.

• Options
    Part of this might just be my differing level of experience with the two systems and the fact that I only have v20. I did find this interesting synopsis on a forum on the differences in the combat:
    As for the differences, nWoD offers what I would describe as a more streamlined system. Both WoDs involved pools of d10, but while the oWoD changed both the target number needed for an individual die to qualify as a success and the total number of successes needed to complete an action on a case by case basis, the nWoD almost always requires that you roll 8+ to get a success, and most rolls need only one success to achieve the desired result. The unspoken consequence of this change is that dice pools in nWoD typically appear smaller than the equivalent oWoD pool and it requires fewer dice to be considered competent.

The most obvious area where this change in system can be seen is combat. In oWoD an attack would consist of four rolls (attacker rolls to hit, defender rolls to parry or dodge, attacker rolls damage, defender rolls to soak damage) while in nWoD combat is one roll only (attacker's total dice pool to attack less the defender's defence and armour rating, each success inflicts one point of damage). There are a few more potential complications, but generally speaking combat is vastly smoother and generally more lethal in nWoD than in oWoD. Some people love the faster combat system, others hate it.

So some of it is probably just our perception. Anything that can streamline combat is a plus in my book, especially when it comes to pbp games.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I'm trying to be more lenient than not when it comes to roll difficulties, so if I feel something is excessively difficult, I'll make an adjustment. I'm also open to suggestions and will work out a compromise if the group feels something needs to be scaled down(or up as the case may be).
    Question: If Lizzy hits this guy with an ambush, does she get some sort of bonus? Like lower the difficulty by 1 or something?

It depends on the action. Most likely at least that, yes.

Perhaps the difficulty should go down to a 7? It seems like the characters have had fair-to-good luck with most rolls, though maybe that's just my perspective.

That example above is definitely why I favor the NWoD system. Combat is messy enough, that makes it far more manageable.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I was going to ask how Deacon was able to see the plate... but with Bulldog driving the van to the back of the club, it's a moot point.

In regards to that question about shadowing, that would have been fine(for future reference if nothing else).

Geth roll 1d10+4 for the Driver.
    Geth roll 1d10+5 for the partner.
    Geth roll 1d10+3 for the doorman.

the Driver:
    1d10+4 12 [1d10=8]
    the partner:
    1d10+5 14 [1d10=9]
    the doorman:
    1d10+3 7 [1d10=4]

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Order of actions:
    Liz: 14
    The partner: 14
    Alex 13
    The driver: 12
    Bulldog: 11
    Max: 9
    Danny: 8
    Deacon: 8
    The doorman: 7

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I should be at an 11, I mistakenly included celerity along with my dex stat.